OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics Will No Longer Recite 'And Also With You'  (Read 4218 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »

"Gather Us In."
All I had to do was read those three words and now I'm singing it from memory.  Thanks a lot.

If I must suffer with "musical doggerel" (I like it!), others must, too.

"Eye Has Not Seen" what I have in store for those of you who have "Taste[d] and See[n]" the [sarcasm]musical genius[/sarcasm] that is Marty Haugen.  "We Remember" that "We Are Many Parts," so "Rejoice! Rejoice!"

Yes, I'm terrible.

LOL...nonono...I meant that I like the Ear Worms: Musical Doggerel nexus.  I had never heard of Ear Worms before and I always called it Musical Doggerel...

I know.  In this case, though, the ear worms ARE music doggerel.

And I just like the word "doggerel."

doh... Cheesy

Me too...

I still love to hear my old parish sing musical doggerel with gusto and faith...I dunno...Sounds ok to me then....

M.

Nothing like people singing praises to God with joy, enthusiasm, faith, and love!!  You know, like they really *mean* it!  Doggerel?  Here's "doggerel" : :" loosely styled and irregular in measure especially for burlesque or comic effect; also : marked by triviality or inferiority"

And it ain't what I hear in the church (Catholic) I attend every week.  I hear folks singing their hearts out every Sunday, and while I may not particularly like a given hymn or rendering of a hymn (it's all a matter of opinion, anyway, isn't it?) the words, as far as I know, are always theologically correct and sung with the joy, and praise, and thanksgiving the Psalms speak of.  And, oh how refreshing it is, too!  Chant of whatever variety it may not be, but so what?!  It is, in contrast to what I've experienced elsewhere, soul lifting.

You've yet to hear the latest reiteration of "City of God" where the bridge (the fact that I'm using the word "bridge" in a song sung during a liturgy makes my skin crawl) has been neutered.

That was not soul lifting.  It was soul crushing. 

Could be.  What do I know, anyway?  I love to sing, and do so, so I'm told, rather badly  Wink.  I'm no musician and am not even sure what a musical bridge is, nor do I really care.  What I rejoice in is, as I said, the sheer joy, enthusiasm, pleasure, and gratefulness which I hear when those who fill my church belt out their praise and thanksgiving to the God that gave them voices to do so.

Will the response, "And also with you" be chanted? Or does the congregation have the option to recite it?

The old saying, "To sing is to pray twice" comes to mind.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »

"Gather Us In."
All I had to do was read those three words and now I'm singing it from memory.  Thanks a lot.

If I must suffer with "musical doggerel" (I like it!), others must, too.

"Eye Has Not Seen" what I have in store for those of you who have "Taste[d] and See[n]" the [sarcasm]musical genius[/sarcasm] that is Marty Haugen.  "We Remember" that "We Are Many Parts," so "Rejoice! Rejoice!"

Yes, I'm terrible.

LOL...nonono...I meant that I like the Ear Worms: Musical Doggerel nexus.  I had never heard of Ear Worms before and I always called it Musical Doggerel...

I know.  In this case, though, the ear worms ARE music doggerel.

And I just like the word "doggerel."

doh... Cheesy

Me too...

I still love to hear my old parish sing musical doggerel with gusto and faith...I dunno...Sounds ok to me then....

M.

Nothing like people singing praises to God with joy, enthusiasm, faith, and love!!  You know, like they really *mean* it!  Doggerel?  Here's "doggerel" : :" loosely styled and irregular in measure especially for burlesque or comic effect; also : marked by triviality or inferiority"

And it ain't what I hear in the church (Catholic) I attend every week.  I hear folks singing their hearts out every Sunday, and while I may not particularly like a given hymn or rendering of a hymn (it's all a matter of opinion, anyway, isn't it?) the words, as far as I know, are always theologically correct and sung with the joy, and praise, and thanksgiving the Psalms speak of.  And, oh how refreshing it is, too!  Chant of whatever variety it may not be, but so what?!  It is, in contrast to what I've experienced elsewhere, soul lifting.

You've yet to hear the latest reiteration of "City of God" where the bridge (the fact that I'm using the word "bridge" in a song sung during a liturgy makes my skin crawl) has been neutered.

That was not soul lifting.  It was soul crushing. 

Could be.  What do I know, anyway?  I love to sing, and do so, so I'm told, rather badly  Wink.  I'm no musician and am not even sure what a musical bridge is, nor do I really care.  What I rejoice in is, as I said, the sheer joy, enthusiasm, pleasure, and gratefulness which I hear when those who fill my church belt out their praise and thanksgiving to the God that gave them voices to do so.

Will the response, "And also with you" be chanted? Or does the congregation have the option to recite it?

The old saying, "To sing is to pray twice" comes to mind.

Actually, the response will be "And with your spirit".  As for the option to recite or chant it, I don't know.  I guess that will depend on the parish and the priest.  Don't know yet what we will be doing.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »

Sorry, as a former Roman  Catholic, even I have problems adjusting to all the changes in the Catholic Church.
So, when I came into Orthodoxy, I had to quickly revert to the Pre-Vatican II response, "And with thy spirit" or "And to thy spirit."

I like the Orthodox joke about changing lightbulbs.

How many Orthodox Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

CHANGE? What is this thing called Change?

Is outrage. Did 19th Century Russia have lightbulbs?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:05:05 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »

"Eye Has Not Seen" what I have in store for those of you who have "Taste[d] and See[n]" the [sarcasm]musical genius[/sarcasm] that is Marty Haugen.  "We Remember" that "We Are Many Parts," so "Rejoice! Rejoice!"

Now, you can't blame "Taste and See" on ol' Marty. Someone named James Moore appears to be responsible for that one.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »

There are some pretty aweful hymnals in other languages as well. Has anyone every had to listen to the music found in this one?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »

There are some pretty aweful hymnals in other languages as well. Has anyone every had to listen to the music found in this one?

That one is awful. My old seminary used to use excerpts for the monthly mariachi Mass. It was a pretty unpleasant experience to say the least.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:52:15 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »

This is why I try not to sleep in on Sundays.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »

This is why I try not to sleep in on Sundays.
This is the reason that if I do sleep in on Sunday, I always feel like my day has been ruined.  Cheesy

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »

I had to go to the bilingual Mass two weeks ago. Sad

I went to High Mass last Sunday and Msgr. celebrated ad orientem. It was awesome!

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2011, 12:24:27 AM »

And as someone who grew up in the heyday of the accordion-and-tambourine era of Catholicism (with liturgical dance! woohoo!), the sooner that generation of service music is obsolete, the better.

Hey, the Catholics have only themselves to blame for that. The Anglicans have been singing perfectly good settings of the ICET texts, with monster pipe organs, for forty years. Heck, even Marty Haugen isn't too bad if you back it up with a killer Lutheran organ.

I beg to differ.  My parish growing up had a great big organ and a killer organist and those songs are still atrocious. 

But they're also ear worms and on the off chance I hear something that even approximates one of Haugen's melodies, they all come flooding back.  I was noodling around on the guitar the other other day and all of a sudden found myself playing the melody to "Gather Us In." 

I haven't touched my guitar since.

I suffer from the same symptoms.  I can't remember much of what I was taught in Catholic school (If they bothered to teach me anything).  I can't even remember how to say the Rosary sometimes, but damned if I can never forget a single lyric of those Haugen /Schute hymns.  As soon as I hear the opening verse of s single song, or even a melody that's sounds like it I can a automatically begin either singing or reciting all the words from every single stanza to myself. 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2011, 12:26:48 AM »

My question really is WHY didn't they or don't they re-introduce some of the prayers, like the older Confiteor in the vernacular?  They are nicer, they are more encompassing.  Does the powers that be in the Roman Catholic ICEL know that English speaking countries have a high literacy rate and people are atually intelligent enough to remember AND say more in-depth prayers?
For example
I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God
The new ICEL Confiteor

The pre-1970 Confietor
I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you, brethren: that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed: through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you, brethren, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Unfortunately the RC hierarchy has a tendency to treat the laity like children and are deathly afraid of giving them too much meat to chew least they proverbially chock on it (Their fears, not mine). 

If you feel that way, why did you convert back to Catholicism?
I have headed East and have stayed there, content that I no longer have to deal with the repeated insane changes in the Mass and Sacraments.

I was complaning more about the bureaucracy and management of my Church rather then anything spiritual.  All churches, religions and hierarchies have this type of politics and mismanagement in dealing with the laity. 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »

That's interesting. "Flower and song" was the Aztec name for poetry. Any hymns to Tezcatlipoca in there?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »

When I was still at an RCC parish a couple years ago, I used to enjoy the weekday Masses better than the Sunday one, because the weekdays didn't have singing.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »

I was at the National Shrine of the Divine Mercy in Stockbridge, Mass., yesterday, and I was happy to see in the pews the St. Michael Hymnal. It's wonderful! Latin settings, lots of chants, only the best hymns.

http://www.stmichaelhymnal.com/

I am not surprised that the order that runs the shrine, the Marians of the Immaculate Conception, is full of young priests.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »

I was at the National Shrine of the Divine Mercy in Stockbridge, Mass., yesterday, and I was happy to see in the pews the St. Michael Hymnal. It's wonderful! Latin settings, lots of chants, only the best hymns.

I am not surprised that the order that runs the shrine, the Marians of the Immaculate Conception, is full of young priests.
That is the other hymnal my parish uses. It's excellent.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »

I had to go to the bilingual Mass two weeks ago. Sad

I went to High Mass last Sunday and Msgr. celebrated ad orientem. It was awesome!
Unfortunately I missed that. I love the manner in which he celebrates the mass.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »

That's interesting. "Flower and song" was the Aztec name for poetry. Any hymns to Tezcatlipoca in there?
When St. Juan Diego saw the Blessed Virgin Mary, he said that she looked like "flor y canto".

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »

Yes, our parish purchased these a few years ago and we quite enjoy it.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »

When St. Juan Diego saw the Blessed Virgin Mary, he said that she looked like "flor y canto".

Very interesting. Thanks.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »

The recordings on this page are beautiful. Using this hymnal must lead to very fulfilling worship. Very nice.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »

Very interesting. Thanks.

By the way, the Aztec poetry I've read (in translation) has been beautiful and full of wisdom. I highly recommend Miguel Leon-Portilla's book 15 Poets of the Aztec World.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »

I visited that shrine a few years ago. It's lovely.  angel I've thought about moving to that area.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: Novus Ordo 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: