OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:42:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question about free will and God  (Read 1019 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »

So a pregnant woman and two little girls (both two years old) were sitting on their porch when somebody opened fire on them. All three were hit. One of the little girls is dead while the other girl and the pregnant woman are in critical condition.

So how come God doesn't stop a scenario like this? Is it because it impedes our free will?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

I recommend reading this article about not everything happening for a reason, it's only tangentially related but it is somewhat related: http://semantron.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/not-everything-happens-for-a-reason/

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »

Very moving.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »

So a pregnant woman and two little girls (both two years old) were sitting on their porch when somebody opened fire on them. All three were hit. One of the little girls is dead while the other girl and the pregnant woman are in critical condition.

So how come God doesn't stop a scenario like this? Is it because it impedes our free will?

Yes.

It is up to us to accept or reject holiness. Our choices (with our free will), will necessarily affect others, both good and bad.

I'm going to need this.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »

That's the question Job asks and simply there is no answer we can receive. God's answer, at that point, was simply that we are unable to understand why he allows evil.

But, with Jesus Christ, although we still don't get an answer to this question, we get something we did not ask for: we learn that God became one of us and suffered the same kind of ignomy, the same kind of injustices, the same kind of death caused by the emptiness of a human soul. And also He provides us with another information that Job did not have:

I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed {thee}? or thirsty, and gave {thee} drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took {thee} in? or naked, and clothed {thee}?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done {it} unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done {it} unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did {it} not to one of the least of these, ye did {it} not to me.
St. Matthew 25:35-45

God informs us that wherever there is this kind of abomination, although we don't understand why He allows it to happen, He has not abandoned these people - He is there, dying with them. Each time it happens, cosubstantial with their nature as much as He is with the Father's nature. You and I may die a horrible death. He has died, is dying and will die all the horrible deaths of each person who ever lived and will live.

I don't know why He doesn't stop it. All I know is that He was there being shot and He was there waiting for His children.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:09:55 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

Sometimes it helps to look at the question in reverse. What would happen if He did intervene? Would He then, being just, prevent every evil? How would that affect our growth? How would our behavior matter if there were no consequences? How would we treat our fellow man, especially children, if somehow they were exempt from harm or death: knowing human nature, would we treasure and protect them, or would they become subject to exploitation and abuse?

Just my thoughts on these matters...

"Who touches, is also touched"
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

I would also add, although it does sound a bit harsh....the lives lost are God's who can take it back when He wants to.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In this scenario I would say that the interaction of free-will only is in consequence to the firing of the gun itself.  God alone controls life and death, some folks survive horrifying injury, others die peacefully in their sleep.  God allows our free-will to interact within His Creation, however, in regards to larger matters of life and death we can suppose that the Omnipotence of God trumps the powerful gift of human free will.  Humans can chose to shoot the gun, but only God can decide whether or not to take the life of the shooting victim. 

Personally, I conceive of human free-will being similar to the way we physically operate within gravity or other fundamental cosmological forces.  God has predesigned all the parameters of the Cosmos, just as  a programmer designs all of the environs of a video game or a simulator, and we have the entire free-will to interact within any of the variables or parameters of God's Creation, however as Creator and Sustainer, God is perpetually in full control and yet also grants perfect free-will.  We can chose any of our options, just as in the three dimensional world we can move our hands up or down, left or right, and yet the fundamental forces such as gravity are always present interacting with our decisions.  We only are free to make choices grounded in the reality of the interaction of the forces, just as we are only free to make the decisions within the opportunities that God provides. 

So in this example, the free-will was to shoot or not to shoot, to duck or not to duck, to have been at the wrong place at the wrong time or to have been in the right place, several converging factors determine the outcome, but the overall conclusion is on God.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »

I recently heard this & it was very powerful for me:

If we were never born, then our incarnation of ourselves would never have the opportunity at the general resurrection of Christ, to sit at the right hand of the father, and eternally be with him in the kingdom. 

we must constantly remind ourselves that we were created for the next life.  Lord grant us one more day to repent. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »

He giveth and taketh away.

Our lives were given to us by God, and he can reclaim us at the hour of his choosing.  Whether it be in joy or tragedy.   We must thank him for the time we are here.

Since we are his, the time is his, he can reclaim at any moment.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »

Re: The dead girl.  Assuming she lived a fairly good (from the Orthodox pov) life, then it's safe to hope and think that she is in a place infinitely better than what we're experiencing or hoping for.  The hard truth about the Orthodox outlook on death: for the (truly striving to be) righteous, death is a welcome time.  If that girl is in the dwelling place of the righteous, then her death is no tragedy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:40:39 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Čika-Gliša

Faith: Ex-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-Serbian Church

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

Because there is no God.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

Because there is no God.
You're right! I have never considered that before. Thank you for enlightening me.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Čika-Gliša

Faith: Ex-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-Serbian Church

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:58 AM »

You're right! I have never considered that before. Thank you for enlightening me.

OK, then. Why do you believe God does exist?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 08:33:21 AM »

That is not the teaching of Islam.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

It's called "faith" for a reason, and that answer will never satisfy an atheist, so I won't go any further than that. Continue trying to convert my poor, deluded soul.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

Faith: [Eastern] Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

2000 Years of Ninjas Wailing on Guitar

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »

Because there is no God.

Just keep it to one thread.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:53:28 AM by Seraphim Rose » Logged

It ain't who you know. It's what who you know know.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »

Why troll such things on a christian board?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »

PP

To give everyone here a chance to respond in wisdom.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »

PP

*grumble* You're right of course.....

PP

Gregory the Great

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

PP

*grumble* You're right of course.....

PP

angel

Tags: The teaching of Islam freedom 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: