OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 04:07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy New Year!  (Read 648 times) Average Rating: 5
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »

Joyous feast day of El-Nayrouz! Happy New Year!

Today is the beginning of the blessed Coptic year. It is necessary to keep it a holy day with full purity and chastity. Let us start a new demeanor as St. Paul the Apostle says, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation." (2 Cor. 5:17-18) And Isaiah the Prophet says, "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the meek; He has sent Me to heal the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." (Isaiah 61:1-2) And David the Prophet says, "You crown the year with Your goodness; and Your paths drip with abundance." (Psalms 65:11)

We ask our God to keep us without sin and help us to act according to His will with the intercessions of the pure Saint Mary, all the Martyrs and Saints. Amen.

Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/1_1.html

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »

She 'en Rompi!

The Coptic New Year will always be bittersweet for me because of 9-11.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »

hey, this year it's on the 12th!
 Smiley

this happens because it was a leap year.
our year is usually bittersweet anyway. we celebrate with red dates, which have read skins like the blood of the martyrs and white insides like the pure deeds of the Christian martyrs.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »

Smiley

Wow, I didn't know that.

our year is usually bittersweet anyway. we celebrate with red dates, which have read skins like the blood of the martyrs and white insides like the pure deeds of the Christian martyrs.

Here in the States, we're stuck with yellow dates  Cry

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »

Smiley

Wow, I didn't know that.

Here in the States, we're stuck with yellow dates  Cry

I've seen brown dates. I have never seen red dates before. Cool tradition! Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »

my wonderful husband went out and bought me some dry red dates from the chinese shop when i explained to him it was new year.
but if u just have yellow dates u can paint them like easter eggs!

most churches still marked new year yesterday, but it was officially today.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

my wonderful husband went out and bought me some dry red dates from the chinese shop when i explained to him it was new year.

I wondered why people were celebrating it yesterday. I've been using http://suscopts.org/coptic-orthodox/fasts-and-feasts/ to keep track of feasts and fasts.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »

Hey, you cheated. Dried dates don't count!  There's gotta be a Canon Law against that  Cheesy

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »

hey, my husband is not orthodox and he bought me a new year card (ok, it was for rosh hashana, but that's only a few day away) and red dates.
i was seriously impressed and told him i am telling the world he's great!
 Smiley
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »

Tell him to cut it out, he's making things harder for the rest of us. I kid, I kid!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:36:37 PM »

Happy New Year my dears! Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »

BLESSED ETHIOPIAN NEW YEAR! What Satan intends for evil, JAH worketh for good. 10 years ago, September 11 was a day of tragedy. But every year, September 11 is a day of renewal, rejoicing, and new beginnings for all Ethiopian Orthodox Christians. Don't ever think that the devil is running anything! JAH is always in control, and Christ has forever conquered!

http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/Synaxarium/Meskerem_01.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZDfGOS2b8&feature=player_embedded

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »

Happy New Year to my Coptic and Ethiopian brothers and sisters.   Smiley

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »

Smiley

and the hardness their steadfastness in the Faith.  Nothing like mushy ripe dates.

btw, the Egyptians have had this Old Calendar problem for millenia.  The real date of 1 Thoout is July 20, the Julian date August 29/September 11 (12th after leap year, like this year of 1728 E.M. Era of Martyrs. The last time the original calendar was correct was 139 AD, and it didn't die out for at least another century.  Augustus had reformed the calendar in the form we have it in 25 BC, fixing it where 1 Thoouth happened to fall that year.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

Selam lekulekemu Smiley
Thank you dear Gebre and Salpy  Grin

Gebre,back at the time of the communist regime in Ethio new year was always marred by the anniversary of the revolution , you know the new year is mostly called qidus yohannes in Ethio the yearly feast of St.John the Baptist, is celebrated alongside the new year every year, but the 2nd of September was also for the derg regime the anniversary of the revolution which is celebrated by marching of solders and display of guns and all sorts of artillery and long dreary boastful speech on what was before 'Meskel adebabay/ Square of the Holy Cross' renamed by the communists ' Abiyot adebabay/ the square of the revolution'. those who are forced to march will march that day and the media will be broadcasting it the whole day. ofc the whole thing was repulsive and contrary to the message of The Voice St John, there was the irony that on the very day the people were to remember the messager of repentance, there was flamboyant arrogance and rejection of God, and the pride of man and his foolish trust on his guns. No matter, now the square is once again back to being ' meskel adebabay' and those who trusted in themselves are no more. yet this lesson is still yet to be understood by many in this world. the messengers of mestema (hate) are busy for they know their time is short yet in the end the Lord will transform all and Love will be victorious! May the Lord have mercy on us all.
selam  Smiley

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »

Selam lekulekemu Smiley
Thank you dear Gebre and Salpy  Grin

Gebre,back at the time of the communist regime in Ethio new year was always marred by the anniversary of the revolution , you know the new year is mostly called qidus yohannes in Ethio the yearly feast of St.John the Baptist, is celebrated alongside the new year every year, but the 2nd of September was also for the derg regime the anniversary of the revolution which is celebrated by marching of solders and display of guns and all sorts of artillery and long dreary boastful speech on what was before 'Meskel adebabay/ Square of the Holy Cross' renamed by the communists ' Abiyot adebabay/ the square of the revolution'. those who are forced to march will march that day and the media will be broadcasting it the whole day. ofc the whole thing was repulsive and contrary to the message of The Voice St John, there was the irony that on the very day the people were to remember the messager of repentance, there was flamboyant arrogance and rejection of God, and the pride of man and his foolish trust on his guns. No matter, now the square is once again back to being ' meskel adebabay' and those who trusted in themselves are no more. yet this lesson is still yet to be understood by many in this world. the messengers of mestema (hate) are busy for they know their time is short yet in the end the Lord will transform all and Love will be victorious! May the Lord have mercy on us all.
selam  Smiley

Thank you for these word of history and widom. You have no idea how much they mean to me, and how timely they are. I am always blessed and encouraged by everything you have to say my dear brother.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:50 AM »

praise God ! Gebre my dear brother, I am your sister in Christ   Smiley please keep me in your prayers.

selam to you!

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

the british orthodox celebrate coptic new year on august 29th.
maybe this small group (1 metropolitan and his team of priests) can pull the whole coptic church into the new calendar era!
 Wink
at this stage, i want to know how to find that 'smiley' that sits munching pop-corn, can any computer geeks help me?!
happy new year to all of east africa too (i am hoping more countries join the ethiopians and eritreans in orthodoxy).

lets also pray the patriarch or eritrea is also freed this year and all those who suffer for their faith.
(www.inchainsforchrist.org)
Tags: Nayrouz 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: