OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:24:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, why do you believe in God?  (Read 542 times) Average Rating: 0
stick man
Warned

Faith: No religion
Jurisdiction: None

« on: September 12, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »

What is it that makes you people so sure that there is a god, and that that god is the god preached about by Christianity? I mean, what is your evidence for holding such claims? Or to put it another way, I challenge you to prove to me that God exists.

In the days whe I was religious, the thing that kept me believing for a long time was reports of miracles, I.E. I  believed I had evidence for the truth of it. But when I re-examined the basis for my beliefs, I found that many supposed miracles can be written off as pious lies, delusions and coincidences. I then acted upon the urge to critically reexamine the bible and its teaching and, to make a long story short, ended up an atheist. I will leave further comments on my own path (and my reasons for not believing in God) for when this discussion develops.

Let me clarify one thing at the outset: the reason I'm asking is because I think you people are deluded (as I used to be) and want to discuss with you the reasons why I think you're deluded. I am NOT asking this because I want to believe in what you believe, am unsure about my own atheism etc (these were claims people made about my motivations when I posted this question on another Orthodox forum and they are not true. I am sure of my anti-religious beliefs and have no wish to be religious). I am starting this discussion in order to encourage critical thinking in people.
 Moderation for multiple accounts. Ban requested - MK.
 Muted for multiple accounts.
 We have been through this before...you have been banned, and that is permanent.

Why do you keep returning here? if you are convinced that you were created from nothing and that there is no God, then why do you persist in coming back to a discussion forum that you cannot participate in? It really makes no sense unless you are still unconvinced, despite your earlier statements.

+Fr Chris
Admin

There probably is no god. Interested in finding out more? Visit www.richarddawkins.net
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:12:11 AM »

Let's start out with the basics.

Do you accept the historical Jesus?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »

why not?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »

BTW what's up with the Richard Dawkins advert in your sig?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »

What is it that makes you people so sure that there is a god, and that that god is the god preached about by Christianity?

I'm not sure. In fact, my waffling about God and religion makes some of the members of this forum sick to their stomach Smiley  I'm really fairly skeptical, and by skeptical I don't mean Randi/Shermer style skepticism (though I have nothing against the work they do exposing frauds), or the hack skepticism of Descartes... no, I mean real skepticism, like Carneades and such.

I mean, what is your evidence for holding such claims? Or to put it another way, I challenge you to prove to me that God exists.

Pretty much everyone agrees that you can't prove or disprove God (actually I would argue that you can't prove or disprove anything, but that's perhaps a discussion for another thread). As for evidences for why I believe (sometimes, anyway), here are the three that come to mind:

- Beauty
- Irrationality
- Suffering

You can come up with all sorts of thoughts and explanations and such on those three things. However, IMO the best way of looking at them is to do so within a theistic framework. There is beauty, there is irrationality, there is suffering: therefore there is a God.

In the days whe I was religious, the thing that kept me believing for a long time was reports of miracles, I.E. I  believed I had evidence for the truth of it. But when I re-examined the basis for my beliefs, I found that many supposed miracles can be written off as pious lies, delusions and coincidences.

See, here's the thing... I would agree that many miracles spoken of might not be literal and historical events, but I don't think that means we should disregard them or think less of them. We need to get past this idea that something being myth or religious story equates to it being a lie or deception or whatever. When your child paints a picture you don't do a stinging critique of it, you appreciate it for what it is.

I then acted upon the urge to critically reexamine the bible and its teaching and, to make a long story short, ended up an atheist. I will leave further comments on my own path (and my reasons for not believing in God) for when this discussion develops.

I also struggle with such things. As I've said on the forum before, when I first left Orthodox Christianity it was not because I was reading atheists, but because I was reading Christians.

Let me clarify one thing at the outset: the reason I'm asking is because I think you people are deluded (as I used to be) and want to discuss with you the reasons why I think you're deluded. I am NOT asking this because I want to believe in what you believe, am unsure about my own atheism etc (these were claims people made about my motivations when I posted this question on another Orthodox forum and they are not true. I am sure of my anti-religious beliefs and have no wish to be religious). I am starting this discussion in order to encourage critical thinking in people.

Fair enough.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:55:13 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:30 AM »

The thread is locked as the OP should have already been banned.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: