OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clergy and cassocks  (Read 2494 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

in egypt only around 15% population.
but i understand it's sometimes right to be sensitive about religious symbols.
last time i was in a country with only a very tiny Christian minority, i tucked my cross under my hijab.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »

A priest around here wears his out in public. When people ask him who he is he tugs on his cross and says "I'm a cross dresser." Usually breaks the ice.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

My priest is going to run in a Walkathon on Sunday after liturgy. Needless to say, he probably won't be in cassock.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

shlomokh - ha ha!
rolling on floor laughing...

william - nooooooooooooo..............
please direct him to this thread so he knows to wear the cassock!
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »

I know a Russian priest who always wears a cassock, except to his secular job. He took his altar boys to the zoo at the end of the summer, and there he was in his cassock and signature Crocodile Dundee hat, lol.

But when flying he wears the Roman suit and collar, because he doesn't want to be hassled by the TSA. (Which is understandable, given the high number of suicide bombings carried out by Christian priests.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:29:02 PM by bogdan » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »

But when flying he wears the Roman suit and collar, because he doesn't want to be hassled by the TSA. (Which is understandable, given the high number of suicide bombings carried out by Christian priests.)

Odd, as I met a Roman Catholic priest at the airport last year who had a cassock on. He was either French or Spanish, I can't remember.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

Odd, as I met a Roman Catholic priest at the airport last year who had a cassock on. He was either French or Spanish, I can't remember.

I have seen this at airports as well, recently.  I always go up to them & thank them for their witness. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »

ahh, u r so sweet!
can i kiss yr hand?
 Kiss
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

Hijab

Niqab

Burka

I admire the modesty of the hijab.  Even in ROCOR, uncovered hair and shorter skirts etc is commonplace these days amongst younger women. 

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »

Why is it that in the Greek tradition not all priests wear crosses, Father (or anyone else who knows)?

In the Greek tradition, wearing a pectoral cross is a sign of rank (e.g. Archimandrite).

There's the famous story of how a Russian Tsar once asked a deacon for a blessing, thinking him to be a priest. Annoyed when he found out he was mistaken, he ordered that all priests in Russia wear pectoral crosses to distinguish them from those in lower orders. I don't know how truthful that story is though.
It would be a great witness if all Orthodox priests when not in secular employment or jogging, wore a cassock with a pectoral cross.  To show the Cross of Christ, that has been blessed is a powerful witness, and one that the Evil One hates.  This is more important than using the cross as a sign of rank.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

william - nooooooooooooo..............
please direct him to this thread so he knows to wear the cassock!
An inquirer trying to tell his priest what to do? That seems Pharisaic to me.

Besides, aren't the Antiochians not allowed to wear cassocks out of Church?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »

ok, u don't seriously have to tell him what to do, but just in case u guys were good friends and just in case you met him while he was happily scrolling through orthodoxChristianity.net forums, then u might, perhaps mention it!
 Wink
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »

This thread actually reminded me that I know two RC priests who wear a cassock all the time. One has recently gone to Rome after serving several years in central Louisiana while the other serves several small parishes in the Louisiana delta.

The second inadvertently shows his Cane River-roots by wearing cowboy boots with his cassock.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:59:19 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »

Yes, it is true, the Antiochian clergy are only to wear a cassock on church grounds, while they are to wear the black suit & collar when out in public.  This is the edict of our Metropolitan, and as clergy, we must be obedient to him.

To be honest with you, I have had mostly positive reactions when I wear the collar in public. For example, I was visiting someone at local jail last week; I was wearing my collar.  As I was waiting at the little window where you converse with the inmates, a prisoner in a wheelchair rolled by and saw me wearing my collar.  He put his hands together in a "prayer" position and seemed to ask me to pray for him.  I gave him a blessing through the window.  I had a clerk at Best Buy ask me for a blessing as well; she probably thought I was Roman Catholic, but whatever, it didn't matter; if that blessing (God's - not mine) drew those people nearer to Christ, then the collar served its purpose.  A priest in a cassock may have a similar positive reaction from people, but in what I have seen, at least in America, the cassock usually evokes stares that say, "What the heck is that?"  The collar, on the other hand, is immediately identifiable with Christian clergy. It would be great if the general public could identify a cassock with Orthodox clergy - but we're just not there yet.  Most people who see a cassock won't even identify it as Christian, even if a pectoral cross is worn.  They seem to bypass the Cross and look at the dress most of the time.

I don't have a problem with any priest who wears a cassock in public, so long as he is being obedient to his hierarch.  That's what it all comes down to - if the priest is obeying the dictates of his bishop regarding clerical wear - whether he is told to wear the collar, the cassock, or given a choice - then all is well.  If he is disobedient, then it poses an issue.  The matter is simply one between the priest and his bishop; while all others who observe his dress - whether laity or other clergy - are certainly entitled to their opinions, no one should judge a priest based on what he wears in public.  Again, it is between him and his hierarch.

Fr. Michael
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:41:34 AM by SakranMM » Logged

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »

While stationed with the Army in Munich, I once took Bishop Paul (Pavlov - ROCOR) on a mountain hike in the snow and he took a spill wearing his cassock.  We were in the mountain hut and one Bavarian addressed him in German as "father".  No one thought it was unusual.  Then again, hiking in the Alps I frequently saw nuns and monks hiking in robes wearing mountain boots.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: