OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan Jonah concelebrates Liturgy with Metropolitan Kallistos  (Read 664 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: September 10, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »

At the Divine Liturgy for the Great Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, the Saint Vladimir Seminary community was honored to have three hierarchs serving: His Beatitude Metropolitan Jonah, presiding; His Eminence Archbishop Justinian of Naro-Fominsk and Administrator of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA; and His Eminence, Metropolitan Kallistos [Ware], Bishop of Diokleia, concelebrating.  The seminary community was especially privileged to hear the homily by Metropolitan Kallistos, widely renowned author, teacher, and churchman, who is visiting the campus as a participant in the North American Conference of the Fellowship of Ss. Alban and Sergius being held on the school’s campus.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »

If Met. Kallistos did concelebrate, as opposed to just attend, I think it would be the first one-on-one concelebration of an EP hierarch with the OCA.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »

It was not one-on-one as Bishop Justinian also was present.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »

If Met. Kallistos did concelebrate, as opposed to just attend, I think it would be the first one-on-one concelebration of an EP hierarch with the OCA.

Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver has concelebrated the Sunday of Orthodoxy with Bishop Basil of Wichita and the now ever-memorable Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas for the last 3 years.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »

Almost all of the EP hierarchs in the US have concelebrated with OCA hierarchs. Many times. No big deal. As has Met Kallistos in the past.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:09:33 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver has concelebrated the Sunday of Orthodoxy with Bishop Basil of Wichita and the now ever-memorable Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas for the last 3 years.
That is not remarkable, as such events are billed as Pan-Orthodox, and the role of the bishops are pretty minimal: the OCA just blends in with the rest of the episcopate.  To have them join at the altar, one-on-one (despite the presence of Abp. Justinian, the optics are still striking, especially as Met. Jonah is the primate of an autocephalous Church Met. Kallistos' primate has not recognized) to concelebrate a DL (I take it was pontifical) at a OCA Church is something that it seems the EP has been avoiding.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »

Almost all of the EP hierarchs in the US have concelebrated with OCA hierarchs. Many times. No big deal. As has Met Kallistos in the past.
I don't recall a single instance where there was only an OCA bishop and an EP bishop.  The presence of Abp. Justinian does give some wiggle room, as he is PoM, but given the fact that he was designated according to the Chambesy agreements as vice-chairman, and has represented the Episcopal Assebly in Constantinople in that capacity, combined with the fact that Met. Jonah presided, is something for the tea leaf readers.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »

I believe they had an awards ceremony afterwards for Met. Ware. It was on AFR and was quite good.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: