OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping a feast day without church  (Read 452 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« on: September 08, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »

I had no idea that today was the Nativity of the Theotokos.  Embarrassed

Obviously, I was unable to attend services. How could someone keep a feastday without attendance at church?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »

I had no idea that today was the Nativity of the Theotokos.  Embarrassed

Obviously, I was unable to attend services. How could someone keep a feastday without attendance at church?

Some simple ways would be to include the tropar for the feast in your daily prayers (morning/evening/mealtimes, etc.) Most prayer books have the tropars for the Great Feasts.

Also, enjoy the day with friends, have a nice meal, etc. Just be generally festive! Grin
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:31:13 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »

I had no idea that today was the Nativity of the Theotokos.  Embarrassed

Frankly, if you were not aware today was a feast day, I would start familiarizing myself with the upcoming feast and fast days. And if you are attending a specific parish, become more integrated with the parish, so you know what services are on the horizon and the like.

Probably most folks can't make a DL in the AM in America. We had a vesperal liturgy last night and an Akathist to the Theotokos this morning (not a big crowd).

This probably ain't the answer you were looking for, but I think it would be wise.

Aside from that you could read the portions of scripture appointed for the day. A narrative of the Theotokos' Nativity. Read portions in the NT where the Theotokos speaks.

Maybe see you can find the hymnography for the DL to get an understanding of the typological approach to the OT in light of the Theotokos. Read an akathist to her.

Etc.

I wish I could pile up links for these resources for you, but I think others can and you can probably google some of the material yourself as well.

Oh yeah, Rejoice!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

I had no idea that today was the Nativity of the Theotokos.  Embarrassed

Some simple ways would be to include the tropar for the feast in your daily prayers (morning/evening/mealtimes, etc.) Most prayer books have the tropars for the Great Feasts.
Mine doesn't, but I can look them up easily enough. Thank you for the suggestion.  Smiley
Also, enjoy the day with friends,have a nice meal, etc. Just be generally festive! Grin
I don't have any friends. Sad

Besides, most of that stuff is not feasible for me on a school night.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

I don't have any friends. Sad
Well, there's always random homeless guys and hookers if you want to be really NT  Grin.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »

I always love weekday liturgies. Because of my job, I usually can't go anymore. Back when I was out of work, weekday church really helped lift me up. Plus, our chapel is really beautiful.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:44 AM »

When I can not attend a major feast day, I read the Typika service in my icon  corner with my wife and whatever family is visiting ---it is available from the Antiochian Archdiocese and vrious other publications. Ask your priest for his blessing and where he suggests you get the text used by your jurisdiction.

Happy Feast Day!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »

And for knowing what day is what - for feast days, saints, etc., you have two choices if you don't have an Orthodox wall calendar from your parish:

The jurisdictional websites all seem to have an area with the Scripture readings of the day, as well as what saints.

OR

If you're on the New Calendar and have an iPhone or an Android smart phone, the Greek Archdiocese has a really neat FREE app called "Daily Readings." You get the readings for the day (although if you're OCA or Antiochian, the lectionary is somewhat different, outside of Great Lent/Paschal season), top several saints, with the life of the saint and troparion/kontakion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: