OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 07:54:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformed "minister" on whether EOC is the true church  (Read 3188 times) Average Rating: 0
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: September 08, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb5fyo-35c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is it just me, or do these Reformed guys just live in their own little world? This guy's response is ridiculous.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »

I didn't watch it all, but it seemed quite rambling. I'm not even sure he had a point. Something about icons not being Christian I think.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

Frankly his eyes keep shifting around as if he's lying. Calvinism reminds me of Trotskyists I used to know. The ignorance and irrationality is manifest to the outside, but they can't even see it because they're totally intellectually isolated in their hermetically sealed ideological cloister. (They have some lovely tulip gardens in there, though.)

In this one he says RCs are goin' to hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-em98OUVA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Come on, dude.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:16:50 PM by JLatimer » Logged

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »

Also, I like the beer bottles in the background! Maybe there's hope he'll find Orthodoxy yet.

He thinks it a sin to use grape juice for communion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfSt6FbzYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

"Let's just boil it all down...they pray through pictures! The bible says not to do that..." 

"It's simple...if you go into the church and people are praying to pictures...it's time to leave"

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »

You were right about the eyes. That creeped me out.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on this "reformed minister" and save him.

These drunken preachers scare me.

My brother is like that too. He says a little wine is good for the stomach, so he laces his liter of Pepsi generously with brandy, and then proceeds to swallow one gulp every few minutes until he is quite mellow, but then he continues drinking until he becomes quite argumentative and drowsy. This continues day after day, yet he denies that he has a problem with alcohol. He says that alcohol loosens his tongue and enables him to speak more eloquently. Oh yeah. Then he says that the Orthodox Church is not the true church because the anti-Baptist church predates it.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:31 PM »

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on this "reformed minister" and save him.

These drunken preachers scare me.

My brother is like that too. He says a little wine is good for the stomach, so he laces his liter of Pepsi generously with brandy, and then proceeds to swallow one gulp every few minutes until he is quite mellow, but then he continues drinking until he becomes quite argumentative and drowsy. This continues day after day, yet he denies that he has a problem with alcohol. He says that alcohol loosens his tongue and enables him to speak more eloquently. Oh yeah. Then he says that the Orthodox Church is not the true church because the anti-Baptist church predates it.

lol...you think this pastor is a drunk?
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »

"Let's just boil it all down...they pray through pictures! The bible says not to do that..." 

"It's simple...if you go into the church and people are praying to pictures...it's time to leave"

Lack of understanding and knowledge leads to ignorance.
Lord have mercy.

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »

Knuckleheads like this are all too common in my area of the world. There is nothing in there I havn't heard a million times before.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »

Funny man. He says, "I don't want to be a historical Christian." Yet, in the same speech he criticizes other people for being "historically ignorant." So, which one is a good attitude: to know history (and then one has to know also about the 7th Ecumenical Council, which refutes everything this man says about icons), or to remain blissfully ignorant?

Love never fails.
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »

Well, right up front he says people are historically ignorant, but then he conflates one bishop tearing an image down with the Church not allowing images.  So he may be historically well read, but his understanding of history, and specifically the ecclesialogical history of the Orthodox Church, is horrible.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

Well, right up front he says people are historically ignorant, but then he conflates one bishop tearing an image down with the Church not allowing images.  So he may be historically well read, but his understanding of history, and specifically the ecclesialogical history of the Orthodox Church, is horrible.
Meh, seems to me the guy isn't historically well read, but spent 10 minutes on wikipedia and has a printout for reference.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

who cares what these guys really think?  We're not helping the faith or strengthening our own by giving air time to these people.  Let them vent and vent some more.  Eventually, the hot air runs out.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »

who cares what these guys really think?  We're not helping the faith or strengthening our own by giving air time to these people.  Let them vent and vent some more.  Eventually, the hot air runs out.

I think its useful for inquirers to see Orthodox systematically dismantle arguments such as this against the church. Someone may have seen this video and curious to know the Orthodox response to such.

I think it is a good thing that we continue to post videos here criticizing the faith and be able to respond to the criticism.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »

I think its useful for inquirers to see Orthodox systematically dismantle arguments such as this against the church. Someone may have seen this video and curious to know the Orthodox response to such.

I think it is a good thing that we continue to post videos here criticizing the faith and be able to respond to the criticism.

I agree even to the extent of having a section specifically for debunking these videos and other forms of dis-understanding.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »

Apologetics anyone?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »

Apologetics anyone?

Nope. There can't really be any apologetics here. All he did was make some statements. He makes some leaps, such as "they pray to pictures" (which in itself is not entirely true. We pray to those depicted. We venerate icons in order to venerate that which is depicted, not the depiction itself) becomes "bowing down, praying to idols." That's not the same thing as "pray to pictures." He also makes the statement, "The Bible says not to do that." He doesn't actually quote Scripture, much less expound on it in any way.

The only argument that kind of gives pause a little bit is his mentioning of the letter of St. Epiphanius of Salamis to St. Jerome, in which St. Epiphanius recounts entering a church and finding upon the curtain (apparently the altar curtain?) an image of Christ (or some saint). I found the passage. I'll give the full section for context. It's quite large. It reads:

Moreover, I have heard that certain persons have this grievance against me: When I accompanied you to the holy place called Bethel, there to join you in celebrating the Collect, after the use of the Church, I came to a villa called Anablatha and, as I was passing, saw a lamp burning there. Asking what place it was, and learning it to be a church, I went in to pray, and found there a curtain hanging on the doors of the said church, dyed and embroidered. It bore an image either of Christ or of one of the saints; I do not rightly remember whose the image was. Seeing this, and being loth that an image of a man should be hung up in Christ's church contrary to the teaching of the Scriptures, I tore it asunder and advised the custodians of the place to use it as a winding sheet for some poor person. They, however, murmured, and said that if I made up my mind to tear it, it was only fair that I should give them another curtain in its place. As soon as I heard this, I promised that I would give one, and said that I would send it at once. Since then there has been some little delay, due to the fact that I have been seeking a curtain of the best quality to give to them instead of the former one, and thought it right to send to Cyprus for one. I have now sent the best that I could find, and I beg that you will order the presbyter of the place to take the curtain which I have sent from the hands of the Reader, and that you will afterwards give directions that curtains of the other sort— opposed as they are to our religion— shall not be hung up in any church of Christ. A man of your uprightness should be careful to remove an occasion of offense unworthy alike of the Church of Christ and of those Christians who are committed to your charge. Beware of Palladius of Galatia— a man once dear to me, but who now sorely needs God's pity— for he preaches and teaches the heresy of Origen; and see to it that he does not seduce any of those who are entrusted to your keeping into the perverse ways of his erroneous doctrine. I pray that you may fare well in the Lord.

-Letter 51 of Jerome, from Epiphanius to John of Jerusalem (link)

It does need to be pointed out that St. Epihpanius is a pre-schism Orthodox saint, a contemporary of St. Jerome. He wrote many apologies against both the Arian and Origenian heresies. "Salamis" was a city of Cyprus. It's ruins still stand today.

This does seem to be something to tackle. It seems, though, that it already has been. If you google "Epiphanius of Salamis iconclasm" for several pages of search results you will find nothing but links concerning the book Epiphanius of Salamis, Doctor of Iconoclam? Deconstruction of a Myth by Fr. Stephen Bigham. The book was published by the Orthodox Research Institute in 2008 (according to Amazon) and Fr. Stephen is an Orthodox priest, who has apparently done quite a bit of scholarship against the work of comtemporary iconoclasts (Protestants). In addition to this work, he has also penned Early Christian Attitudes towards Images (also published by the Orthodox Research Institute).

I've flipped through a few reviews of these books by Fr. Stephen, and have yet to find a bad one. It seems that the book on St. Epiphanius gives texts that supposedly "prove" his iconoclasm, and does a good job airing both sides before concluding that these are fabrications, and that the holy saint never wrote such things, but that they were added by iconclasts (I suppose in the 8th or 9th century).

And that's about it. Hope that helped!

EDIT: I also feel that I should add how odd it sounds that if a saint (or even Christ) is depicted on the curtain, an Orthodox bishop would tear it down. I mean, God did command the Israelites to craft curtains with cherubim depicted on them...

"Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubim of cunning work shalt thou make them." (Exodus 26:1)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:56:58 AM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »

I agree even to the extent of having a section specifically for debunking these videos and other forms of dis-understanding.

I second.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »

I second.

I third

Gregory the Great

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »

videos like these aren't going to be going away anytime soon, thats for sure. As Orthodoxy becomes more familiar to the western world this will only increase.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

You may be right. I am hoping that in the near future, thanks to the proliferation of Internet sites and cable channels, there will be more documentaries about Orthodoxy, to show some of the real history of the Church. Unless people take a Comparative Religions class or are willing to trek down to the library, a lot of people won't find other ways of learning this sort of thing. Thus they become liable to believing any false rumor or stereotype that fills in the gap.
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

Well, I don't know how else you're to defend Calvinism other than by lying and ignorance.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:58:23 PM by Scotty » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »

Unless people take a Comparative Religions class or are willing to trek down to the library, a lot of people won't find other ways of learning this sort of thing.
Even the comparative religions class wouldn't be enough. My friend was a religion major in college and she said that they didn't even spend any time on Orthodoxy. Catholicism, Protestantism, but no Orthodoxy. She did complain to the department about that, though.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »

Unless people take a Comparative Religions class or are willing to trek down to the library, a lot of people won't find other ways of learning this sort of thing.
Even the comparative religions class wouldn't be enough. My friend was a religion major in college and she said that they didn't even spend any time on Orthodoxy. Catholicism, Protestantism, but no Orthodoxy. She did complain to the department about that, though.

how tragic for those students.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 02:22:41 AM »

That doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen supposedly serious reference books on Christian art which begin with the works of Cimabue and Giotto (turn of the 14th century).   Shocked Roll Eyes
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »

Shifty eyes?  I think he was talking to a guy offscreen.

Anyway, seriously... beer bottles on the shelf?  Really.
ignatios

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »

"It bore an image either of Christ or of one of the saints; I do not rightly remember whose the image was. Seeing this, and being loth that an image of a man should be hung up in Christ's church contrary to the teaching of the Scriptures, I tore it asunder..."

Wait, so St. Epiphanios saw an image that was possibly Christ (though he doesn't remember who, exactly) and then deems that it should be torn down, on account of the fact that it is an image of "A MAN"?! This is too fishy, and it sounds exactly like the kind of Nestorian confusion coming from most Reformed iconoclasts - i.e., you can't paint images of Christ because it only depicts his human nature, which is impossible! You can't worship images of a mere man!

This has GOT to be a forgery, or St. Epiphanios has some seriously deficient christology.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

"It bore an image either of Christ or of one of the saints; I do not rightly remember whose the image was. Seeing this, and being loth that an image of a man should be hung up in Christ's church contrary to the teaching of the Scriptures, I tore it asunder..."

Wait, so St. Epiphanios saw an image that was possibly Christ (though he doesn't remember who, exactly) and then deems that it should be torn down, on account of the fact that it is an image of "A MAN"?! This is too fishy, and it sounds exactly like the kind of Nestorian confusion coming from most Reformed iconoclasts - i.e., you can't paint images of Christ because it only depicts his human nature, which is impossible! You can't worship images of a mere man!

This has GOT to be a forgery, or St. Epiphanios has some seriously deficient christology.

Most scholars agree it's a forgery.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »

Frankly his eyes keep shifting around as if he's lying. Calvinism reminds me of Trotskyists I used to know. The ignorance and irrationality is manifest to the outside, but they can't even see it because they're totally intellectually isolated in their hermetically sealed ideological cloister. (They have some lovely tulip gardens in there, though.)

Come on, dude.

Did you actually listen to his reply? He didn't make a blanket statement that RCs are going to hell. In fact, he said; "I do believe that there are many Roman Catholics who are saved people. They worship the same God as I do. They do it in the name of Jesus... I believe that there are many Roman Catholics who are saved by Jesus Christ on the same grounding as I am. The sheer grace of God, mediated through Christ, which neither they nor I deserve."

I don't know who this man is, and I don't agree with his theology, but I don't accept that we should twist his words. So he disagrees with Eastern Orthodoxy, big deal. Let's not get all partisan and lose objectivity.

As for the comment, whoever made it about the beer bottles, it looks like he has a couple of collector's items on his shelf. Two bottles does not an alcoholic make. Ad hominem isn't a pretty thing, no matter who is one's opponent.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:38:29 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »

Come on, dude.

Did you actually listen to his reply? He didn't make a blanket statement that RCs are going to hell. In fact, he said; "I do believe that there are many Roman Catholics who are saved people. They worship the same God as I do. They do it in the name of Jesus... I believe that there are many Roman Catholics who are saved by Jesus Christ on the same grounding as I am. The sheer grace of God, mediated through Christ, which neither they nor I deserve."

I don't know who this man is, and I don't agree with his theology, but I don't accept that we should twist his words. So he disagrees with Eastern Orthodoxy, big deal. Let's not get all partisan and lose objectivity.

As for the comment, whoever made it about the beer bottles, it looks like he has a couple of collector's items on his shelf. Two bottles does not an alcoholic make. Ad hominem isn't a pretty thing, no matter who is one's opponent.

I agree.  I didn't see any problem with this fellow's eyes either.

By the way, thank you Benjamin the Red for that excellent post.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

He says claims of historical lineage is ridiculous and ignorant but doesn't even say why in the part I watched. He takes it as self evident. He needs some St. Irenaeus perhaps.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb5fyo-35c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is it just me, or do these Reformed guys just live in their own little world? This guy's response is ridiculous.

My friends already gave a response to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1D5HjC0qiY&feature=related (Yes, the Orthodox Church is the true Church)

and

http://orthodoxbridge.com/?p=305 (Nicodemus Calls On Pastor Wilson To Get His Facts Straight)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »

Most scholars agree it's a forgery.

Bingo!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »

I third

I fourthe - if there is such a word. Not all of us have a computer with earphones or speakers set up, and it would be a good idea to have a section which relies on such devices separate from those threads which consist entirely of written posts.

I've no idea who this bloke is who you are all talking about, but if he gives a poor presentation of Protestantism or an inept critique of Orthodoxy, surely it would not be hard to find someone equally crass or clumsy trying to speak on your behalf.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
wasamwillbe

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 02:07:49 AM »

What is interesting in watching this is the duality again, He can not get past the "praying to pictures" (he gets it much more than he is letting on, he's just trying to be dismissive) but he does pay "intellectual homage" to his church fathers, take a look at the "icons" of their works behind him on the shelves.   

Wow, it so reminded me of so many discussions with pastors growing up. 

He had another video on whether a wife should follow her husband into Orthodoxy, His answer is 'no'. 

The encouraging things we can take from these videos is that he has to be dismissive of our practices because he does not want his intended audience to really look into Orthodoxy, so instead paints it as foolishness (which he wouldn't do except he saw it as a threat), and he has had to face people leaving his church to Orthodoxy, otherwise I doubt such questions would arise.

"We no longer knew whether we were in heaven or on earth,"
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »

He's not well read in this area for the story he talks about in regards to a bishop tearing an image down is known by scholars to be a forgery. A good book that helped me out in this area was:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Christian-Attitudes-toward-Images/dp/097456186X (Early Christian Attitudes toward Images)

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »

What is interesting in watching this is the duality again, He can not get past the "praying to pictures" (he gets it much more than he is letting on, he's just trying to be dismissive) but he does pay "intellectual homage" to his church fathers, take a look at the "icons" of their works behind him on the shelves.   

Wow, it so reminded me of so many discussions with pastors growing up. 

He had another video on whether a wife should follow her husband into Orthodoxy, His answer is 'no'. 

The encouraging things we can take from these videos is that he has to be dismissive of our practices because he does not want his intended audience to really look into Orthodoxy, so instead paints it as foolishness (which he wouldn't do except he saw it as a threat), and he has had to face people leaving his church to Orthodoxy, otherwise I doubt such questions would arise.

The C.R.E.C. (the denomination the pastor in this video started) has alot of people in it interested in either going to Rome or Orthodoxy, and so he has to make videos about us for those reasons.

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

I've not read a lot of debunking going on, just a lot of criticism of his personal appearance and whether he's an alchoholic or not. Thank you minasoliman and riddikulus for at least bringing some balance. So what he's not the sharpest tool in the box? If he's speaking out of turn then it's because he's lost and blinded, i'm sure he doesn't need to happen across an Orthodox site and find he's berated as well?

Is this good for inquirers to read?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

The C.R.E.C. (the denomination the pastor in this video started) has alot of people in it interested in either going to Rome or Orthodoxy, and so he has to make videos about us for those reasons.
I personally know or know of a handful of people who have gone to Rome or Orthodoxy who were associated with the particular theological movements within the Reformed world that formed the current intellectual makeup of the CREC. (They're looking for a sort of Reformed Catholicism or somesuch nonsense.) Heck, I used to read Doug Wilson years ago -- he's kind of funny, in a smartass way, but his critiques of Orthodoxy are mostly colored by what he knows of post-Reformation Rome contra the Protestants.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »

I've not read a lot of debunking going on, just a lot of criticism of his personal appearance and whether he's an alchoholic or not. Thank you minasoliman and riddikulus for at least bringing some balance. So what he's not the sharpest tool in the box? If he's speaking out of turn then it's because he's lost and blinded, i'm sure he doesn't need to happen across an Orthodox site and find he's berated as well?

Is this good for inquirers to read?

Who are you mostly talking about? I actually have a certain level of respect for pastor Wilson.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

I personally know or know of a handful of people who have gone to Rome or Orthodoxy who were associated with the particular theological movements within the Reformed world that formed the current intellectual makeup of the CREC. (They're looking for a sort of Reformed Catholicism or somesuch nonsense.) Heck, I used to read Doug Wilson years ago -- he's kind of funny, in a smartass way, but his critiques of Orthodoxy are mostly colored by what he knows of post-Reformation Rome contra the Protestants.

Yeah, I know people and know of people who are into him as well.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

I third

I fourthe - if there is such a word. Not all of us have a computer with earphones or speakers set up, and it would be a good idea to have a section which relies on such devices separate from those threads which consist entirely of written posts.

I've no idea who this bloke is who you are all talking about, but if he gives a poor presentation of Protestantism or an inept critique of Orthodoxy, surely it would not be hard to find someone equally crass or clumsy trying to speak on your behalf.

Preacher David,

You might actually like him. He's different from some of the other American evangelical protestants that you are use to.

David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

Preacher David,

You might actually like him.

Well, the likelihood is that for all our faults we'll both be in the New Heaven and New Earth where righteousness dwells, but by then doubtless we shall have been changed a good deal anyway.

I don't think there'll be a special island for Baptists (anyway, the Book says "the sea was no more"), so I'll likely meet some of you Orthodox as well.  Smiley

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: