OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 04:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My take on ROAC  (Read 9045 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »

Catechumens should be worrying about really important stuff, like "how do I pray?" and "what am I doing in Church?" and "how do I see Christ in my neighbor?", instead of fretting over obscure jurisdictional matters. I'm betting, Joe, that what they do of a Sunday morning in Staunton isn't all that different from what they do in Johnstown, or DC, or Linthicum, or for that matter, a mile from my house. They may do it a bit better because the priest is a convert, but then again the production values are better at any of the local cathedrals. Possibly the spiritual advice is much the same too, though Fr. Gregory at Holy Cross or Fr. Constantine at St. Nick's aren't likely to fall into the legalism that I see sometimes in "conservative" advice.

You know what Joe? I have to admit, that that is some pretty good advice. There is some wisdom there.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2003, 01:04:54 AM »

You know Keble, the more I reread your posts, the more I realize, you don't know the first thing about me.  While your advice has some merit, you presume to judge my motives without ever having met me or having ANY first hand knowledge of me.  All I have to say in regards to the difficulties of becoming ROAC "Narow the way and steep the path that leadeth unto salvation."

While I have at times read the BCP (prior to my actual conversion ot Catholicism) and various other anglican resources, the fact that the Anglican Communion aproves women ministers means it has no claim to apostolicity, let alone the Christian faith in general.  

While I have read many a good book by Billy Grahmm and they have got me through the tough times when my grandmammy died unexpectedly or when I was struggling my way back from buddhism and the occult, I do not consider  his works to be leading unto salvation.  There is some truth there (heck even Satan believes in the Power of the Cross).  

And yes I have read a few books by Novus Ordo's and even a few books by "pope" (quotations from my background in sedevacantism) John Paul II, and there may be some few kernals of truth there, there is nothing compared to what is in Orthodoxy, in the Catechism composed by Vladyka Gregory, etc.

And yes, most of my religious life I have been a Traditionalist Roman Catholic (partly Indultee, partly SSPXer, partly Sedevacantist) and while the ritual may be ascetically pleasing (as were the few Anglican Missal and 28 BCP Liturgies I have witnessed) there was nothing behind them.  

However all of this has done nothing save bring me to where I am today, a repentent sinner knocking at the door of the True Church.

Whether or not hte liturgy at Staunton (not where I had in mind to move to btw) is the same ASCETICALLY as what you find at any local world "orthodox" church doesn't matter.  the Ascetics of hte Liturgy don't mean anything, it is the faith and Glory expressed through that Liturgy which matters most.  

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2003, 01:27:07 AM »

Jennifer, for your information here is a more descriptive view of my religious journey until now:

Born-1983

"babtised" in a non-denom quasi SBC Church at 7

remained in said church environment until I was 14 at which time upon reading the scriptures I determined (the only form being this fundamentalist stuff) that Christianity was a false religion.  

For two years I wandered through Buddhism (American fakery more accuratly), professed athiesm, agnosticism, general newageness, wicca, and finally ended up in a quasi-cult which worshiped the late princess diana as a "reincarnation of Christ" with mother Theresa being a "Reincarnation of Mary."  obviously I dispelled these blasphemies.  I was amble to be all these different things in that period of time because they are not mutually exclusive.  Oh I forgot to mention tauism.  

At about the age of 16 (late summer '99) I happened to pick up a book by Billy Grahmm one night when I was staying with my devout Free-Will Babtist Grandmother.  Having always been an avid reader (I still try and read three books containing at least 200 pages a week) I finished the book that evening and began reading other bookes.  I must also admit that I stole a bunch of "Chick Tracks" from my grandma, which I did return to her in the days immediatly preceeding her death.  After having read a few of these I said the prayer in the back to "get saved."  

I started going back to Babtist Churches, but found them empty for much the same reasons as before.  Started going ot a pentecostal Church but ran when I saw the freak show goin on there (sorry I can't think of politer terms to describe the scene of spiritual desolation before me).  Finally went to the local ECUSA parish for a few weeks, but left when the female priestess said "all religions lead to the same God."  Tried the Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Menonites (still frequent the bakery of hte latter), eventually despaired until a friend of mine convinced me to try the NO parish in town.  Went there for a Mass, found it nice but still seemed empty.  Eventually did become NO though.

Was recieved into the NO church November 20, 1999 (vigil of Christ the King on the New Calander).  

Moved up here to Kansas a year later, fell in with some medjugorhite folks.  

Got exposed to the Tradlat and uniate Churches about the same time.  Started frequenting Tridentine Masses-went occasionally to the Ukranian Church but it was late in the day and almost impossible to maintain the midnight on fast.

was a closeted trad lat for about 1 1/2 years when in late 2001 I applied to the novus ordo seminary and was turned down when I told  the bishop the best way to improve the NO Missal (his question he brough up was how to best improve the Liturgy of hte Diocese) was  match.  

Decided to get an assosciates before applying to a tradlat seminary (probably FSSP was was harboring thoughts about the SSPX and SSPV).  

decided to go ROCOR, but decided against it because I cared more for maintaining familial relationships than the Cross-Bearing Love of Christ.  

went back to tradlats, but still harbored Sedevacantist tendencies.  Studied a lot and read just about everything available online(in an attempt to be extremely frugal) about the subject, and came to the conclusion after much study and prayer that I could not in good conscience consider JPII to be a valid Pope (nor any others from the time starting with John XXIII) and the NO to be invalid.  However with the help of Anastasios etc. I realized that it is impossible to believe in the papal infallibility and sedevacatist positions at the same time.  

waited and studied around again asking the advice of many an individual, and finally came to the conclusion to become Orthodox, but more specifically ROAC because of concerns over ecumenism and the possible reunion between the MP and ROCOR.

whew, that even made me tired.  Or perhaps it is the late hour. Wink

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2003, 08:03:50 AM »

This is heading to the point where some moderator is bound to cut the conversation off. But what the heck, we were up late, so I have a window of opportunity here.

Joe, by my count you've been through something like 16-20 religions/sects in six years. You went through 15 of them in two years. I've been an Episcopalian since before you were born.

It's inconceivable that you know much about most of these sects; you simply haven't spent enough time in any of them. I spent as much time becoming an Episcopalian as you have spent rejecting apostolic churches.  I've been singing Orthodox services (or going to them for other reasons) ever since you were 9 years old. I've been arguing religion on the internet almost since you were born-- long enough ago to know why it's called the internet.

What I'm seeing, Joe, is that you won't put yourself under anyone's discipline. You, the most junior of novices, have fallen into the habit of talking back to every religious authority you come to. But at the same time you crave this authority. You crave to bathe in it, and you crave to acquire it.

The most revealing comment is the one about not expecting to end up in Staunton. I picked Staunton and not Buena Vista for a reason, Joe.  It seems to me that you see the skete as a sanctity factory, but it is really a very human community populated by very human sinners. And if you bind yourself to this community, what happens when you are sent to Staunton-- or worse, Beltsville? My office in Calverton is on the edge of the tackiest, junkiest piece of mixed commercial and industrial sprawl that could be imagined-- except that there isn't enough room to sprawl, so it's all wedged in together instead. And in the middle of it, in a row of miscellaneous offices, there is a tiny Orthodox church. Not a pretty building, indeed, not something that one could recognize as a church at all from the outside. Do you think you could devote yourself to years of worship there? Joe, I have to say that I don't think you could-- at least not in your present state.

What is also revealing is the romantic language you use.  Even in the best church there's going to be a lot of time when what you see in the liturgy is not "faith and glory", but a long uphill slog to get through to the end of the service. You expect angels singing and the light of heaven, but you know, you may never be shown that. Or you may get the briefest glimpse and then never see it again. And in your present mindset it seems to me that you would more likely than not flit off to the next crank who promised you heaven for free.

One of the advantages of going to the local Novus Ordo mass for you, in your present state, is that the sheer dreadfulness of it might beat into your head just how difficult this religion thing really is. Forcing yourself to pray a totally nonconducive envornment for a while will teach you much-- for one thing, it may teach you that it is your prayer to God that is going to get you through, and not some secret apostolic ingredient.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2003, 08:07:04 AM »

Oh-- I should add, Joe, that I've heard bits and pieces of your story over the months. Little of it was a surprise to me.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2003, 08:10:25 AM »

Joe,

Your path to Orthodoxy looks to have had a number of learning experiences both personal and spiritual.  Thank you for sharing this.  

I pray that you will continue to grow spiritually and that the Holy Spirit will guide you in pursuit of the Truth.   I pray that you are blessed on your journey and that the Truth of the Lord continue to be revealed to you.  Continue in prayer.  Prayer, prayer, always prayer.

I will not pass any judgement on the ROAC, because I now very little about it other than what is scattered about here.  Also passing judgement is a sin I have been guilty of that sin and have been praying hard that the Lord take it from me.  I will not offer any advice for or against ROAC, but I will pray for you and pray that the Holy Spirit guides you down the road of Salvation.  I also pray that you have the ability to discuss the faith with other Orthodox Christians both clerical and laity. The Lord can reveal Himself to us through others.  I also pray that you will be able to worship with other Orthodox in the Divine Liturgy.  

May the Lord bless you on your journey.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2003, 11:02:30 AM »

Slava Isusu Christu!

Joe,

Like our friend Justinianus, I will pass no judgement on ROAC nor offer any advice.  I do, however, have to ask you about something you wrote which may echo a little of what Keble has said.

...there is nothing compared to what is in Orthodoxy, in the Catechism composed by Vladyka Gregory, etc.

While I agree that there is nothing compared to what is in Orthodoxy, there is much, much more in Orthodoxy than learning a Catechism.  Indeed, that is a very Latin approach to the Faith.  Orthodox learn and practice their faith in communion with one another and with Christ in the Liturgical Cycle, most especially at Vespers and the Divine Liturgy.  While you have rejected all things Latin, you still retain a very Latin mindset when approaching faith.

May the Holy Spirit guide you where you need to go, and may you submit to His authority.

I would also counsel staying far, far away from the internet, but that would make me a hypocrite Wink.

In Christ,
mikey.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 11:02:58 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2003, 11:28:43 AM »

I would also counsel staying far, far away from the internet,

Probably the best advice offered thusfar.  Of course, I am a hypocrit as well.  Smiley

Here is a portion of a letter my spiritual father wrote to me five years ago when I was a catechuman and concerned over the campaign in the GOA to outst Met. Spyridon.

It would have been nice if you could have begun your instruction in Orthodox Christianity with a period of time free of church politics, but as an internet user that's probably impossible.  The speaker in your note is a secularized Greek-American who is not speaking (or thinking) from within an Orthodox Christian perspective.  His accusations against his bishop assume American radical individualism as the norm.  There is a fundamental conflict
between secular humanistic individualism and Orthodox Christianity.

....(more details on this particular event)....

I'm willing to help you try to understand the ongoing political crises that will inevitibly accompany the struggle to establish Orthodoxy in America, but please try to understand that there is a difference between, on the one hand, 1) the permanent and unchanging truth of the Orthodox Christian faith and the Sacramental reality which is the Church (fully present in each local parish), and on the other hand, 2) the all-too-human politics that go on within human organizations that are intended to serve God and the Church but all too often become distorted and disoriented so they serve the selfish needs of human beings.  Both can (and generally do) exist side by side.  Whenever and where ever they do they will be in conflict.  Priests (on behalf of the Diocesan bishop), are responsible for the spiritual orientation of organized efforts within the parish. Archbishop Spyridon is responsible for the spiritual orientation of the
Greek Archdiocese.

The Orthodox Church is not, itself, an organization.  The Church HAS
organizations though -- organizations that exist for particular purposes. Sometimes such organizations are captured for purposes that conflict with those of the Church itself.  When that happens, bishops are responsible to exercise their liturgical and sacramental authority to reorient the spiritual purposes of those organizations.  I believe Archbishop Spyridon and Patriarch Bartholomew are trying to do this with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.  If this happens it will be nothing short of miraculous -- certainly a cause for rejoicing among the members of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA).  If they were to succeed, I  personally would be perfectly happy to see the OCA disorganize and join THEIR organization!  Gradually, you'll get a feel for what I'm saying here.  Read Fr. Schmemann's article too, in the new Christian Activist: "The Evil Plague:  Jurisdictionalism."

Finally.  The internet is the best place I know of for a small number of discontents in rebellion against their bishop to make themselves sound more significant than they are.  As an internet user, beware of this.  Any nut in America can sound like a force to be reckoned with so long as he has a computer and can express himself.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2003, 11:33:42 AM »

Joe,

More to the community concept - you say you're only 20?  Good grief man!  I thought I was a youngin' on this forum and I'm 28!  Go to college!  Move to some larger city, go to college and find a nice Orthodox parish to attend.  'nuff said.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2003, 12:11:03 PM »

Shultz & Elisha have given the best advice so far!!!  
Elisha, don't feel so young... I'm only 22.  :-)

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2003, 12:48:44 PM »

Elisha that is my plan, but right now I'm gettin free college (dad works for local juco) so will probably go to University of Colorado in Colorado Springs or University of Virginia in Richmond.  I hope for the latter actually because it is 7 grand cheaper for out of staters and I'm planning on majoring in political science.

Joe Zollars

Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2003, 07:42:19 PM »

Joe, why don't you meet some nice girl in your town and ask her out on a date?  Get away from the fake internet world and interact with real people.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2003, 08:13:30 PM »

Who needs a date when you you got sisters and cousins and live in the south?
Warned. Please utilize an element of seriousness when you post.
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2003, 08:18:24 PM »

Joe, why don't you meet some nice girl in your town and ask her out on a date?  Get away from the fake internet world and interact with real people.  

Actually, I need to do this too.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2003, 09:13:44 PM »

Shultz & Elisha have given the best advice so far!!!  
Elisha, don't feel so young... I'm only 22.  :-)

So...how ya doin'?  Wink
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2003, 09:28:28 PM »

Who needs a date when you you got sisters and cousins and live in the south?

Nektarios,

That really wasn't appropriate. Please be charitable.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2003, 09:35:13 PM »

If he comes to the Consecration of our temple in the Diocese of the South, we'll just make him depart with the Catechumens ...  Cheesy

j/k
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 09:36:31 PM by Oblio » Logged
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2003, 11:05:10 PM »

Nektarios I am personally insulted by that remark.  I am a RedNeck and damm proud of it! In fact having done some yard work yesterday resettin' Iris bulbs for my momma, I am truly a Red Neck.

Oh and for your information it is easier to marry your cousin in Kansas than it is in Arkansas.

Joe Zollars
Warned. Please use an element of seriousness when writing your posts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 11:10:00 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2003, 12:01:20 AM »

OK we've had enough...fun on this thread.  It's wandering. We're closing it.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2005, 02:03:45 AM »

bttt
Tags: ROAC Old Calendarists traditionalist 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: