OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 83276 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #630 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »

Yeah, but we take everything "you people" invent and commercialize it.  American culture is stronger because it can digest anything the rest of the world produces and make it acceptable for the hoi polloi. 
Something digested might be acceptable as fertilizer. Is that what you're getting at?  Wink Roll Eyes

American TV runs from magnificent to mediocre to .... well, you know.

There are no TV runs which are not American.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #631 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »

I've seen one of those mothers-taining-daughters-to-be-strippers beauty pagent shows or whatever once.  Yeah.  As a culture, I think we're pretty well over.

What is this 'culture' you speak of? Tongue

Pretty much everything you enjoy.

Except for yoga, ballet, Thanassis Veggos, Imiskoubria, Mediterranean cuisine... oh, and Orthodoxy.

Laugh away. It improves longevity.

Nothing you would have access to or understand without Americanism.

Enjoy.

Ah, the adolescent nation, firmly convinced, like all self-respecting adolescents, that it knows everything there is to know about everything. So cute.

Carry on.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #632 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »

I've seen one of those mothers-taining-daughters-to-be-strippers beauty pagent shows or whatever once.  Yeah.  As a culture, I think we're pretty well over.

Except for yoga, ballet, Thanassis Veggos, Imiskoubria, Mediterranean cuisine... oh, and Orthodoxy.

Enjoy.

Ah, the adolescent nation, firmly convinced, like all self-respecting adolescents, that it knows everything there is to know about everything. So cute.

Carry on.

Americanism has nothing to do with a nation as such. It has to do with the most significant cultural expression of the 20th century. If you read a little of European thought around the matter, you might be able to have this conversation, but given your reading list you proudly link to, like most older parents in senility, you can't see that your child has been taking care of you for a lot longer than you ever took care of them.   

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #633 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

Enjoy.

Carry on.

Americanism has nothing to do with a nation as such. It has to do with the most significant cultural expression of the 20th century. If you read a little of European thought around the matter, you might be able to have this conversation, but given your reading list you proudly link to, like most older parents in senility, you can't see that your child has been taking care of you for a lot longer than you ever took care of them.   

Indeed.  They are just too old to remember how they disagreed with their parents, but like good children, we were always there to help Dad out when Opa had too much schnapps and was waving his Mauser about.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #634 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »

Enjoy.

Carry on.

I love it when you get all worked up. angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #635 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »

Extra poignant Call the Midwife episode on right now. I'm so getting the DVD when the season is over.

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #636 on: February 17, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »

Like the Egyptian priest told Solon once upon a time:

‘Ὦ Σόλων, Σόλων, Ἕλληνες ἀεὶ παῖδές ἐστε, γέρων δὲ Ἕλλην οὐκ ἔστιν.’ (Plato, Timaeus 22b)

"O Orthonorm, Orthonorm, you Americans are forever children, and there's no such thing as an old American..."  laugh
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #637 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

Another good episode of 'DCI Banks' was on yesterday. As soon as the season's over, I'm going to look for a DVD box set.  Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #638 on: February 17, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

LOL. I like that. USA could the World's only superpower but the Britons can still deem it as their colony.

God Save the Queen!

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #639 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »

LOL. I like that. USA could the World's only superpower but the Britons can still deem it as their colony.

God Save the Queen!

If I were a Brit, I'd totally go for revocation of independence. Wink But I'm not. I just live here.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #640 on: February 17, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »

God Save the Queen!

If I were a Brit, I'd totally go for revocation of independence. Wink But I'm not. I just live here.

I'm all for revocation and I have never even visited British Islands. angel

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #641 on: February 17, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »

God Save the Queen!

If the U.S. ever reverts to them, I hope we get all the BBC channels, free.  Wink
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »

Channel Surfing - Hopping from channel to channel.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #643 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

Wouldn't that be channel hopscotching then?  angel

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #644 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »

The Walking Dead  *SPOILERS*

Is there anything that didn't go wrong this week?

1) Tyrese got booted (for now)
2) Daryl left (for now)
3) Michone is possibly getting booted
4) Glenn ain't too happy and is apparently planning on taking matters into his own hands
5) The Govenor seems like he's ready to lay the smack down
6) Andrea is still deluded and wants to make the whole Woodbury thing work
7) Rick done gone crazy again, but worse this time

It was unclear to me that Tryrese and those with him had left the Prison. They slunk off out of the room when Rick went to Crazy Town but there was no information that they had left completely. I think there was a gap in the writing, The Exec Producer was on Talking Dead and said they had left...Thanks for filling is us in. The audience doesnt get to attend all the back room meetings.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #645 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »

The Walking Dead  *SPOILERS*

Is there anything that didn't go wrong this week?

1) Tyrese got booted (for now)
2) Daryl left (for now)
3) Michone is possibly getting booted
4) Glenn ain't too happy and is apparently planning on taking matters into his own hands
5) The Govenor seems like he's ready to lay the smack down
6) Andrea is still deluded and wants to make the whole Woodbury thing work
7) Rick done gone crazy again, but worse this time

It was unclear to me that Tryrese and those with him had left the Prison. They slunk off out of the room when Rick went to Crazy Town but there was no information that they had left completely. I think there was a gap in the writing, The Exec Producer was on Talking Dead and said they had left...Thanks for filling is us in. The audience doesnt get to attend all the back room meetings.

Last night's episode was pretty wicked.  Looking forward to seeing how this season plays out the rest of the way.  I did hear that they are already committed to a 4th season.  Good times.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #646 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »

Wouldn't that be channel hopscotching then?  angel
if you have the scotch, sure Wink

Proverbs 22:7
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #647 on: February 18, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »

Downton Abbey Sad  Angry

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #648 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

Like the Egyptian priest told Solon once upon a time:

‘Ὦ Σόλων, Σόλων, Ἕλληνες ἀεὶ παῖδές ἐστε, γέρων δὲ Ἕλλην οὐκ ἔστιν.’ (Plato, Timaeus 22b)

Oh yes, Athens was ideal 9000 years before Solon's time. I love the Timaeus Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:31:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #649 on: March 11, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

I started a serious Battlestar Galactica kick recently. That show really picks up once most of humanity is destroyed. I'm currently about halfway through season 2.
Aaaand done! The ending could have been better, but I didn't  hate it like a lot of people seemed to.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #650 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »

Downton Abbey Sad  Angry

Too many likable characters in that show... they needed to make some room.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #651 on: March 11, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »

The Trap Door Grin

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #652 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

Season 3 of Walking Dead is almost over.  It's been a great season.  Looking for more of the same in Season 4!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #653 on: March 16, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »

Watched season 7 of Bones on Netflix the last few days. Sort of a meh season for me. The writing perhaps wasn't as condescending and patronizing as it usually is, but Booth was a real jerk in the way he treated people (especially Bones) throughout the season. And it was just plain boring a lot of the time.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #654 on: March 16, 2013, 04:23:17 AM »

Season 3 of Walking Dead is almost over.  It's been a great season.  Looking for more of the same in Season 4!

I got my girlfriend--who hates zombie stuff--watching TWD now. Trying to get through the first half of season 2 is a rough stretch though.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #655 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »

I got my girlfriend--who hates zombie stuff--watching TWD now. Trying to get through the first half of season 2 is a rough stretch though.

About to watch tonight's episode.

CU you after clean Monday

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #656 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »

Horrible Histories, season 3, on DVD. Can't wait for season 4...

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #657 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

I missed it.  I will have to catch it Sunday before the new one.  Was it better than the last one, i.e. the 60 minute conversation?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #658 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

I missed it.  I will have to catch it Sunday before the new one.  Was it better than the last one, i.e. the 60 minute conversation?

The guv-meets-rick episode was good; I don't know why people expect action-adventure when everyone involved with the show have very clearly said that it's a character-based drama. Wink

But if you mean to ask if there more going on, then yes, quite a bit more.  Cool

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #659 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

I started watching a new BBC 3 drama called 'In the Flesh'. They've only shown the first episode so far but it was pretty good. No idea if it will make it across the pond at all and it's only a three parter as far as I can tell. It's an interesting take on the zombie film, not usually really my thing, with the main character being one of a number of 'rotters' (they're never referred to as zombies) who have been treated and are being reintegrated into a society recovering from the aftermath of the 'rising'. It's well worth a look, in my opinion.

James
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:19:23 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #660 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »

Let us know when you have seen it so we can discuss.
I feel like this season is long enough for a change. Earlier seasons seemed to end too soon.

Two more episodes is about right. One more set up show and then a a big banging last episode.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #661 on: March 20, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

The guv-meets-rick episode was good; I don't know why people expect action-adventure when everyone involved with the show have very clearly said that it's a character-based drama. Wink

But if you mean to ask if there more going on, then yes, quite a bit more.  Cool

You know, it wasn't bad or anything, perhaps I am just being impatient.  This is one of the only shows I have been watching episode by episode as it comes out.  The last one I watched like this was HBO's Rome, and that was years ago.  Otherwise, I usually wait til a show is done and watch it on DVD or Netflix.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #662 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »

Let us know when you have seen it so we can discuss.
I feel like this season is long enough for a change. Earlier seasons seemed to end too soon.

Two more episodes is about right. One more set up show and then a a big banging last episode.

Will do.  I wonder if they play it during the week?  It is a bit of a busy week, but if it fits in I would like to watch it sooner. 

I really like 3rd Season.  It's been a good show all the way through, even the Second Season.  I thought it dragged on, but still was good.  But the first several episodes of Season 3 were a blast. 

Bets on if the Gov survives the finale or if this chapter is over.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #663 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

You know, it wasn't bad or anything, perhaps I am just being impatient.  This is one of the only shows I have been watching episode by episode as it comes out.  The last one I watched like this was HBO's Rome, and that was years ago.  Otherwise, I usually wait til a show is done and watch it on DVD or Netflix.

I loved "Rome"... They really messed up cancelling it. It seems they miss communicated and stopped production before they fully understood how well it was actually doing. It was too late to put it back together. What a shame

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #664 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »

I loved "Rome"... They really messed up cancelling it. It seems they miss communicated and stopped production before they fully understood how well it was actually doing. It was too late to put it back together. What a shame

Yeah.  I think they kinda rushed the second season.  But there were so many good actors in that show!  I didn't care much for the older Octavian.  But Atia, Vorenus, Pullo, and Marc Anthony were all phenomenally well played.  They could have done so much with the relationship between Octavian/Augustus and Agrippa. 

Would have loved to have seen a show about Marius vs Sulla as well.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #665 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Yeah.  I think they kinda rushed the second season.  But there were so many good actors in that show!  I didn't care much for the older Octavian.  But Atia, Vorenus, Pullo, and Marc Anthony were all phenomenally well played.  They could have done so much with the relationship between Octavian/Augustus and Agrippa. 

Not enough time to list the incredibly confused well and poorly done elements in that series. Another time.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #666 on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

Not enough time to list the incredibly confused well and poorly done elements in that series. Another time.

Did they really kill by running their sword down from the top of the shoulder/collar bone?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #667 on: March 21, 2013, 03:22:05 AM »

Watching The Men Who Built America on H2. I know, I know, it's the "history" channel, I should take what they say with a salt lick. Still, they're talking about two boys relevant to my interests in the area, Frick and Carnegie, so they've had my attention.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #668 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »

Bets on if the Gov survives the finale or if this chapter is over.

I hope they keep him around, at least for a little bit longer. And they aren't afraid to kill major characters off in the middle of a season, so it's not like they'd have to keep him another entire season.

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #669 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:59 AM »

Did they really kill by running their sword down from the top of the shoulder/collar bone?

If you mean executing people by stabbing downwards from the hollow to one side of the neck, yes.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #670 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »

I started getting into House of Cards (US). Very solid.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #671 on: March 24, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »

American Horror Story: Asylum. It may make me look over my shoulder for a while, but I couldn't resist that cast.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #672 on: March 24, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »

Confessions: Animal Hoarding

These people need serious help, but I can't help becoming angry when I watch this show. Angry

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #673 on: March 24, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

Lots of NHL games.  Smiley
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #674 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »

American Horror Story: Asylum. It may make me look over my shoulder for a while, but I couldn't resist that cast.

Excellent acting and cinematography.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: