OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:06:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 61116 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #540 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:47 AM »

McHale's Navy (netflix).
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #541 on: December 29, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »

The X-Files
锵锵三人行
双城生活
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #542 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:04 AM »

Er... asian edition?  Huh  Cool

I watched some of them on netflix this month. I was a HYUGE x-phile back in the day, so I wanted to see how they held up after all this time. The great episodes were still great, but some of them seemed boring now. The cig. smoking man will always pwn though.

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #543 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »

haha, well I am a linguist in the navy so I got to maintain my language ability for the annual dlpt (2+,2+,2 on most recent test, will be shooting for 3,3,2+ this year coming). Plus after this whole military thing is done, hoping to get into uva's darden school of business, get my mba, market my chinese and make millions.
At the end of season 5 they had a behind the scenses episode. The smoking man was interviewed and he expressed his belief the show was more about him than mulder. I am nearly done with season 6 and I am starting to agree with him.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #544 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »

I was a huge fan of the X-Files as well. Seasons 2-4 were the best. Grin

Come to think about it, nearly all of my favourite shows have long wrapped (or folded). Mission Impossible, La Femme Nikita, Robin of Sherwood, Daria, now Merlin and Eureka as well... Come to think about it, apart from Doctor Who, the only other show I can look forward to is Game of Thrones.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #545 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »

ALF after a pause lasting many years. Now I watch it from another perspective. I've come back to it because I always watch something special (and what makes me laugh) during Nativity season.

And for a few months Looney Tunes Show. I prefer classic episodes, but these new ones are not so bad.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #546 on: January 05, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »

LOL

inb4 someone says Walking Dead zombies don't go after just brains
inb4 someone says that they just passed her up because she had zombie guts all over her

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #547 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »

New season of Biggest Loser starts in about an hour...

NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Faith: Non-denominational

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #548 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »

In reply to the OP, I watch some TV shows; News, being the primary interest but also retro sci-fi series like "The Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone" and many movies, as well. I do this as part of an investigation that I began in 2007. In a nutshell, all television shows, and not to exclude the televising equipment, are satanic; the television is a product after the New World Order that was established in 1848. Every single piece of media is to brainwash the human mind so that we become so depraved that we can no longer understand reality and truth and we will no longer fear God [Hos 4:1-3]. It's a lengthy investigation that does expose a conspiracy and it's not like any other that has been told. The investigation also led me to the Marvel Comic book series of "Captain America /Spirit of '76", which is also linked and reveals profound parallels to the Truth while providing significant evidence of a conspiracy to brainwash Americans and eventually the entire world. I don't intend to criticize anyone but to inform. God bless!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #549 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »

Downton Abbey

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #550 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

California's Gold, Road Trip and Visiting, all with the late great Huell Howser, +eternal memory to him.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #551 on: January 14, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »

Sunday night is classic-style British crime drama night. Ripper Street and Lewis. *two thumbs up*

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #552 on: January 14, 2013, 06:57:39 AM »

Sunday night is classic-style British crime drama night. Ripper Street and Lewis. *two thumbs up*

Thumbs up for Ripper Street - not so much for Lewis. I tried watching Blandings last night because I generally like P.G. Wodehouse, but I'm afraid I found it rather disappointing. I'd much rather watch old episodes of Jeeves and Wooster, but maybe it will improve.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #553 on: January 14, 2013, 11:05:49 AM »

The Dresden Files on Netflix.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #554 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

I love Lewis, but, that show isn't showing in my area, at present.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #555 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

Downton Abbey

Smiley

Tom, the evil footman...

Proverbs 22:7
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #556 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Downton Abbey

Smiley

I finally watched it last evening, (now that "Desperate Housewives" is off the air).  I don't know the story lines, but was still intrigued by it and hope to make it a regular part of my week!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #557 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »

Oh it's easy to catch up.

There's three Crawley daughters - Mary, Edith and Sybil. 

Mary falls in love with Matthew from the beginning...but, alas...it doesn't turn out. 

Then she is swept off her feet by a visiting Mr. Pamuk...who visits her in her room.  Needless to say he dies in her bed.  Oh, the shame!  She has her maid Anna and her mother, help get him out of her bed and carry him back to his.

Scullery maid Daisy sees this and eventually leaks this information to middle sister Edith, who has always had issues with Mary.

Matthew who loves but, for very many obstacles doesn't hook up with Mary....eventually gets involved with Lavinia.  Sweet girl.  He goes to war, comes home crippled and she's still by his side....well, on his left side, because Mary is on his right, as he's recuperating in their home, Downton Abbey.  At the end Lavinia sees Matthew and Mary share a kiss....and the next day she gets the Spanish Flu and dies.  Out of guilt Matthew can't marry Mary, now.

Edith has fallen for an older gentleman, Sir Anthony...and to spite her, Mary tells Sir Anthony that Edith his having a hoot leading the old stooge along.  He takes it to heart and leaves...and Edith is heart broken.

So, Edith leaks the information concerning Mr. Pamuk's demise to the Turkish embassy, and gossip reigns supreme.  No eligible man will look at Mary.

To save face, Mary agrees to marry the newspaper tycoon who is harsh and mean and domineering.  At the end of Season 2, Mary's father finds out why she's marrying him and tells her to call of the wedding, that they will get through the gossip.

End of Season 2, Matthew proposes to Mary. 

and they finally wed

Youngest sister Sybil, is a rebel....she's all for women's rights, etc.  Falls for the Irish chauffeur, Branson....and eventually marries him and moves to Ireland...to the shock and dismay of the entire family.

She's now back for Mary's wedding, and pregnant.  Mary gets married and is happy....and Edith once again tries to make amends with Sir Anthony...whom her father deems an unfit match for his young daughter.  Either way, they decide to wed....and at the altar, the old man realizes the error of marrying Edith and leaves her standing at the altar.....and Edith is once again heart broken and upset that youngest sis is married and pregnant and Mary got Matthew....and she's destined to be a spinster.

Lord Crawly made a bad investment and is about to lose the house, but, Lavinia's father died and left Matthew (dead daughter's almost husband) tons of money...enough to save the family from living a middle class life.  Matthew and Mary go at it, because Mary is all about the money, but, Matthew feels it's deceitful, because he broke Lavinia's heart and then she died.  In the end, he takes the money and the rich remain rich.

There's a great storyline downstairs, as well.  Anna and her Mr. Bates who is in jail for killing his ex....which he swears he did not...and because we love the two of them, we believe him.

Then there's Mrs. Obrien and Thomas the footman, butler or whatever he is now.  They were in cahoots and made life miserable for all the servants...she even was the reason that the Lady of the manor slipped on a wet floor and miscarried.  However, the two are at odds these days and trying to destroy each other.

Then there's the scullery made/cook's assistant Daisy, who led on William the footman....he fell madly in love with her, but, she didn't love him back apparently.  Then he went to war, and everyone told her to play the part of his sweetheart to keep his spirits up.  He came home mortally wounded and she was talked in to marrying him, so he dies happy....and he wanted to marry her so she would get a widow's pension.  Now his father shows her fatherly attention and she feels guilty....but, she's starting to like having a father...

....plus, countless other little story lines.

Great show!

Love Cousin Violet and her one liners. 

—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #558 on: January 14, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

We just got new cable, so I'll be trying to figure out what's going on.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #559 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:26 AM »

Thanks so much, Liza---this should get me up to speed.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »

A couple of small corrections re Downton Abbey

Violet played by Maggie Smith is not "cousin" but the Dowager Countess of Grantham, that is she is the current Earl's mother and the three daughters' grandmother.  There is also the American grandmother (the present Countess being from the U.S.) played by Shirley McLaine. Zingers fly.

Matthew is the heir to the title and estate as it is entailed so that they only go to a male relative and the Earl has only daughters.  He is a third cousin once removed, that is he is descended from a younger son of an Earl from some generations back and is the closest male relative.

O'Brien (either Miss or just the last name) is a Lady's Maid, a rather upper level of servant.  Thomas started as a footman and now does Valeting for the Earl, also a higher level and also "underbutler" .  He purposely got an injury to a hand in the trenches to get out of WWI, is conniving and through jealousy of O'Brien's nephew who is a new footman has broken any alliance they may have had in the past by tricking the young man and others cruelly. 

"Mrs" is used for very top level female servants whether married or not (and usually not because they were busy running things), from what I've read, specifically the Housekeeper (Mrs. Hughes) and the Cook (Mrs. Patmore)

Don't worry. There won't be a test.   Cheesy

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #561 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:35 PM »

The Coffee show "Dangerous Grounds" has been moved to 11:00 PM.
I hope that doesnt mean it's been downgraded by the Travel Channel.

Worrisome

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #562 on: January 27, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »

I started a serious Battlestar Galactica kick recently. That show really picks up once most of humanity is destroyed. I'm currently about halfway through season 2.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #563 on: January 27, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »

I'm very happy Call the Midwife is back. Just saying.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #564 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

The Revisionaries

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #565 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

I'm very happy Call the Midwife is back. Just saying.

It is?

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #566 on: January 28, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »

I started a serious Battlestar Galactica kick recently. That show really picks up once most of humanity is destroyed. I'm currently about halfway through season 2.

Great show, especially the beginning "mini-series" arc. It comes to a lull when they tried, like all such shows do, to make it more episodic. Plow through that half season or so and you should be happy once again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #567 on: January 28, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

I haven't had a tv in at least 6 years.  And not for any ideological reasons . Just so happened.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #568 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

I've been thinking about selling my TV+PS3 lately... I figure if I really want to watch something I can watch a DVD or something on my computer. But then I'd missing new episodes of The Walking Dead, so I don't think it'll happen...

(Though does one of those online tv show websites have TWD? Hmm...)

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #569 on: January 28, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »

I've been thinking about selling my TV+PS3 lately... I figure if I really want to watch something I can watch a DVD or something on my computer. But then I'd missing new episodes of The Walking Dead, so I don't think it'll happen...

(Though does one of those online tv show websites have TWD? Hmm...)

Probably the wort piece of garbage on the air. PM me if you want to watch on your computer, but wait you probably already know how to do that.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #570 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

I haven't had a tv in at least 6 years.  And not for any ideological reasons . Just so happened.

I have a thing that occasionally lets me see what my DVD player is doing. People call it a television, but I ain't see nowhere on it.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #571 on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

I used cable for the first time last week so I could catch the Tsarev fight on Bellator.  He lost.   Cry  Got kicked in the leg repeatedly by a ******* Brazillian. 

Otherwise, just waiting for Perambulating Deceased to start up again.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #572 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »

Probably the wort piece of garbage on the air.

It's so good it may have saved my life. Seriously. Smiley

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #573 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »

Probably the wort piece of garbage on the air.

It's so good it may have saved my life. Seriously. Smiley

Still not worth it. I was looking at it once in a bar (not knowing what I watching and in hindsight not sure why I was looking at a TV in a bar as I find such behavior insane and usually the TV too boring compared to what goes on where I go out at) and I wondering how someone got such garbage made for in-flight viewing then sold it to some crummy cable network.

Then I found out what it was and I felt even worse for the "fans" of the show.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:27:38 PM by orthonorm » Logged

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #574 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »

Great show, especially the beginning "mini-series" arc. It comes to a lull when they tried, like all such shows do, to make it more episodic. Plow through that half season or so and you should be happy once again.
It was about my third attempt to get into it. The start of the miniseries just didn't catch me. I'll grant that those three hours were the best at telling the great big narrative, but the more episodic approach has its charms too.

I caught an episode of The Following with Kevin Bacon. It has its flaws, but I could see it becoming a great show. The murder sequences are really well-done.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #575 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »

The Coffee show "Dangerous Grounds" has been moved to 11:00 PM.
I hope that doesnt mean it's been downgraded by the Travel Channel.

Worrisome

Good news. The Travel Channel has picked up Dangerous Grounds for a second season

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #576 on: January 31, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »

All I really care about right at the moment are the Thurs night comedies: 30Rock, The Office, Community, Park and Rec, and Up All Night.

During other times of the year, I am big into Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, Walking Dead -- that's all I can think of at the moment.

Peace.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #577 on: January 31, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

I like most public TV shows, particularly Masterpiece Theater. Just finished another Emma (very good) and am looking forward to newest presentations of Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park (all Jane Austin--cannot have enough of her). Going back to Downton Abbey, the last episode (Episode 4) was quite dramatic and surprisingly heart wrenching.

I also enjoy The Big Bang Theory as I am a sucker for off-beat comedies.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #578 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »

I canceled my cable tv today.  Cool

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #579 on: January 31, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »

I canceled my cable tv today.  Cool
Congrats!

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #580 on: January 31, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »

Torchwood, Season 1

Great spinoff of the revived Doctor Who series, though I would like to see less exploration of LGBT themes.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #581 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »

The LGTB stuff was the least of my objections with Torchwood season one, although RTD is admittedly pretty heavy-handed with those elements. 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #582 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:56 AM »

The LGTB stuff was the least of my objections with Torchwood season one, although RTD is admittedly pretty heavy-handed with those elements.  
RTD? Huh Russell T. Davies?

Actually not surprising, the LGBT stuff, since both Davies and John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) are gay.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:35:13 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #583 on: February 01, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »

Is orthonorm the only person that doesn't like the Walking Dead?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #584 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »

Torchwood, Season 1

Great spinoff of the revived Doctor Who series, though I would like to see less exploration of LGBT themes.

Season 2 is the best.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: