Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 496831 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2880 on: April 12, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
I've been watching Mad Men during past few days for the first time. It feels super inappropriate during the age of #metoo. I even became a little triggered which is weird considering I have fairly inappropriate sense of humour.

Well, it was kind of designed to be that way for historical accuracy.

I'm guessing Finland had a similar character in the mid-20th Century?
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2881 on: April 25, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Recently watched the first season of the new Lost in Space. Do I like it? For the most part, yeah.

Quite a few parts of it just bored me, though. It feels "stretched" in a lot of episodes, like they needed to work on some of those scripts a bit longer than Netflix's "get a full season out as quick as we can" philosophy allowed. But I don't think any show on the platform can avoid that to a certain extent.

That having been said, when I was engaged by it I had a lot of fun. The central relationships are adequately conveyed by the performances. The child actors are really good for their ages. Not sure if I like Penny as a character, but Mina Sundwall definitely knocks the "snarky, precocious but vulnerable teen" schtick out of the park. Molly Parker (who is... very easy to look at, I might add) did a great job as passive aggressive Tiger Mom, too. The character arcs for both of the Robinson parents were very well written.

Parker Posey as Dr. Smith is probably going to be one of the sticking points for a lot of people. She's an actress that I always want to like, but I'm never quite sure if I actually think she's any good at it. Most of the time in this show she almost makes Dr. Smith seem stoned or something. I guess the idea is that she's this completely detached psychopath- empty inside and only mimicking human emotion when it suits her. I suppose I like the performances more than I dislike them, looking back.

The character I did not like for most of the series was Don West. For whatever reason, Ignacio Serricchio is basically doing a Matt LeBlanc impression the whole time (in fact, this series has quite a few strange nods to the 1995 movie- no color-changing CGI space monkey yet) but he never quite rises to LeBlanc's level of charisma. The character kind of redeems himself in the last three episodes, but I don't blame anybody who dropped the series just because they couldn't stand him before that point. I just hope they don't do what I think they're going to and hook him up with Judy like in the movie (and in the series? I've only seen part of a single episode). Yes, the character's (barely) legal, and kind of a girl Doogie Howser for some reason, but she still looks like a teenager and he... doesn't.

The robot was easily the best part of the whole show. I was a little disappointed that they made him a humanoid for the vast majority of it and the color scheme is a little generic, but I love what they did with his "monitor" and I'm excited to see what he's been warning them about this whole season (hoping we'll get to see his home planet). Making the robot an alien was kind of a risky choice I suppose, but I think the performance of the actor combined with the plot twists we get pretty much make up for it.

The creature designs on the planet were... ok, just kind of generic feeling, sadly.

So, it wasn't the best sci-fi show I've ever seen. But it was definitely better than average and I hope it gets renewed.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:31:55 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2882 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14:58 PM »
Oh, just got reminded via a YouTube ad. One thing that I WILL absolutely excoriate the show for- Maureen says that they are "Trillions of light-years from home" or something.

The Universe itself is only 46 Billion light-years accross! This from a character who's supposed to be a scientist...

Why you betray me, hotmom from the future? Why??? :'(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:16:37 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #2883 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:12 AM »
I have Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back, on repeat. I'm watching the new Marvel series, Legion. I don't always watch TV though. Probably 50% of the time that I do, it's Criminal Intent. It's because I was raised at a Flying J.

It was a long time ago, however.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:14:38 AM by mcarmichael »
"If God if for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2884 on: April 27, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
Just finished season 3 of Better Call Saul. Good stuff.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2885 on: April 27, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Secret Illuminati T.V.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2886 on: April 27, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
Secret Illuminati T.V.

Is that on Netflix?
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2887 on: April 27, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
Illuminati T.V.

Isn't that a redundancy?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2888 on: April 27, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
Illuminati T.V.

Isn't that a redundancy?

I guess . . . If you sit here and look at the computer monitor.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2889 on: April 27, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
I do! I do sit here and look at a computer monitor. Even 95% of my "tv" watching these days is done using a laptop. My descent into madness is nearly complete :( ???
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2890 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Just finished season 3 of Better Call Saul. Good stuff.

Selam

+1 -- two more seasons, and it's probably only going to get better...
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2891 on: April 27, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
I wanted to watch Krypton, but I didn't get good reception on Episode 1.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:31:28 PM by mcarmichael »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2892 on: May 12, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
Caught up with Silicon Valley season 5 (finale is tomorrow night). I'm still laughing a good bit, but it feels like the weakest writing yet, the first few episodes seemed more mean-spirited than usual, and for the first time I'm experiencing the frustration a lot of people have voiced over the years about them jogging in place.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2893 on: May 12, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Runaways. Currently arranging to get into B99.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #2894 on: May 12, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
"The Bill," a British crime show from the early 1980s. Watching the second episode of the first season.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2895 on: May 12, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »
I wanted to watch Krypton, but I didn't get good reception on Episode 1.

Still need to watch it, but for some reason, I'm a lot more positively disposed to the idea of it than I ever was to Gotham. Maybe because it doesn't mess with with Clark's backstory or supporting characters the way it did with Bruce, Seyg-El was always a very minor character in the comics AFAIK. Maybe because I'm just a sucker for DC Cosmic (even if it is Siffy and David S. Gagmewithaspoonyer).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:55:01 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2896 on: May 13, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »
Is anyone watching Cobra-Kai on youtube? I just found it last night, maybe it was the first day of release, idk.

Apparently it is produced by youtube, so I don't know if it's available in Canada. No idea what the plot is. I find myself feeling more sympathetic towards the anti-hero, v. the car salesman. It could be interesting, in an existential sense. Or, it could be lame as a dead duck. It's free, however, so I likely will continue to follow this series, and Maru the cat.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2897 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
Is anyone watching Cobra-Kai on youtube? I just found it last night, maybe it was the first day of release, idk.

Apparently it is produced by youtube, so I don't know if it's available in Canada. No idea what the plot is. I find myself feeling more sympathetic towards the anti-hero, v. the car salesman. It could be interesting, in an existential sense. Or, it could be lame as a dead duck. It's free, however, so I likely will continue to follow this series, and Maru the cat.
Sorry, only the first two episodes are free! Episode three is locked.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:39:25 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2898 on: May 14, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »

How are you getting it free? You have to buy YouTube Red, right?
I do stuff.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2899 on: May 14, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
I was nostalgia-intrigued enough to watch all the teasers for it, but don't plan on watching the actual show. :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2900 on: May 14, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »

Sorry, only the first two episodes are free! Episode three is locked.

Oh, ok. I figured as much.
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2901 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
I was nostalgia-intrigued enough to watch all the teasers for it, but don't plan on watching the actual show. :)

Yeah. Karate Kid is alright, but it wasn't such a huge part of my life that I'd want to pay the Great Primary Colored Satan to get more of it.
I do stuff.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2902 on: May 20, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
Well, I may as well pay for it, maybe I'll get something out of it. Like did anyone watch Family Ties growing up, and at some time realize that in every episode Alex *Keaton lies about something, and then get's into trouble? Apparently I was more impressionable than even I realized, because eventually I became very frustrated with Alex *Keaton, and learned to hate him.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:11:03 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2903 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:26 AM »
Well, I may as well pay for it, maybe I'll get something out of it. Like did anyone watch Family Ties growing up, and at some time realize that in every episode Alex *Keaton lies about something, and then get's into trouble? Apparently I was more impressionable than even I realized, because eventually I became very frustrated with Alex *Keaton, and learned to hate him.
Oh, wait! I qualify for a free 30 day trial of the new youtube "Premium" service, so I guess it is free. You only have to remember to cancel before 30 days because it is too expensive.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2904 on: May 21, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »

I got no meaningful connection to the Karate Kid series but I enjoyed the first two episodes of Cobra Kai. Not enough to overcome my cheap nature, however, and continue on.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2905 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:02 AM »
Caught an episode of the new Ducktales (it was the one with Gladstone Gander). Not too bad!

The writing was witty, the voice acting was good, I love the art style with the homages to Carl Barks's paintings and to the old comics. I even detected a little Mary Blair influence in the climax scene.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:17:03 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2906 on: May 24, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »

I got no meaningful connection to the Karate Kid series but I enjoyed the first two episodes of Cobra Kai. Not enough to overcome my cheap nature, however, and continue on.
Umm, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but you may qualify for a free 30-day trial of youtube's "new" premium service. Or not, idk.

Well, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:28:05 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2907 on: May 26, 2018, 04:26:18 AM »

Umm, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but you may qualify for a free 30-day trial of youtube's "new" premium service. Or not, idk.

Well, anyway.

You did indeed mention it, right above my own post, but I guess I skimmed over and didn't quite register the words. Thanks. I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:29:31 AM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2908 on: May 26, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »

Well, anyway.

You sound like the world's most polite pop-up ad lol.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:22:30 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2909 on: May 31, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
The 3% (Brazilian dystopian show on Netflix). I've been enjoying it so far. We're in the 2nd season.  For some reason sci-fi shows and movies rarely seem to have convincing insurgencies and "the Cause" is no exception. The Cause is really disorganized, has poor security, no coherent ideology, no stable leadership. In the real world they would have split three ways and been completely infiltrated. On the other hand the Offshore administration is really incompetent so it's hard to believe they would have been able to subjugate anyone. For one thing it makes no sense for the graduates of the Process to then be expected to risk their lives as the police and military in the inland. There's a reason why the Saudi military relies on foreign mercenaries or proxy militias, and not their pampered citizens, when there's real fighting to be done.

All the same I like the characters and it's generally interesting from a cultural perspective.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:56:04 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2910 on: May 31, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
I wish that less dystopian works would use generic nouns as the titles of their groups lol.
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2911 on: May 31, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
Yeah "the Cause" is a really, really lame name for a resistance movement.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2912 on: May 31, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Yeah "the Cause" is a really, really lame name for a resistance movement.

I keep thinking of Philip Seymour Hoffman's cult from The Master.
I do stuff.

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2913 on: June 01, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »
Did anyone see the new "Star Wars"?

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2914 on: June 03, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »

Well, anyway.

You did indeed mention it, right above my own post, but I guess I skimmed over and didn't quite register the words. Thanks. I'll look into it.

That's because I'm on moderation. Like Cheshire cat.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2915 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »

Yes, I watched Family Ties at the time because it was on after school & before supper every week day.  I really disliked Alex and like you grew to hate him: how could he turn out so money-grubbing & insensitive with such great parents?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2916 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Watched The Mist, purportedly a TV adaptation of the Stephen King novel. I thought the 2007 film was a fine blend of semi-Lovecraftian monsters and social horror; I was hoping the show would build on that somehow. Unfortunately it is a pretty tedious affair, where the monsters are essentially reduced to the characters' psychic projections. I imagine the writers thought they were being clever or sophisticated with this move- "We're too smart for actual monsters! It's all psychology!" but the result is just hamfisted suburban melodrama and the primal, outer horror of the original concept is completely stripped away.
- Berdyaev

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #2917 on: June 15, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
Finished the last season of Mozart in the Jungle this week.

****Spoiler, if you care about shows about the inner working of symphonies****

A fairly accurate depiction of the people who become professional classical musicians, though I think Rodrigo would have been fired from the stand well before the finale.

I also thought the sub-sub-subplot about Rodrigo no longer being able to talk to the dead composers was too similar to the earlier storyline about how he became unable to hear music. But overall, I still liked it.

I would like to find the underground club from season 2 where Joshua Bell and Lang Lang play ping pong.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2918 on: July 15, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
Harlots, season 1. Revision before I dive into season 2. 8)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2919 on: July 17, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »
Harlots, season 1. Revision before I dive into season 2. 8)
cheater

• Merarches
« Reply #2920 on: July 27, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
The Waltons

One of my favorite TV shows ever. Great acting and great writing. Will Geer ("Grandpa") was a brilliant actor.

“The power of the pen may be great, but in love it has failed me. Tomorrow I plan action.” 
~ John-Boy Walton ~

“Using past failures as the seed of tomorrow’s defeat is a waste of the garden of life God has given us.” ~ John-Boy Walton ~

Selam
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:45:03 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2921 on: August 07, 2018, 04:32:19 AM »
Better Call Saul

• Merarches
« Reply #2922 on: August 07, 2018, 04:37:06 AM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2923 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
House, because why not?

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2924 on: August 07, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
Buffy season 2
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.