Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 490997 times)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2790 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Working my way through Boardwalk Empire again.  Jimmy Darmody was such an awesome, complex character.  Really feeling the loss right about now.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2791 on: October 16, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
I was never a series guy, but last week I gave a shot to 13 Reasons. Really liked it, although I was much more attracted to how the characters (both living or dead) deal with many aspects of guilt and shame than with the suicide main theme. On the other hand, I feel it may give a bad message to depressed teenagers, suicide as an answer, a vindication against anyone who influenced this tragic decision. Even though it lectures those near the depressed (whether they're aware of it or not) well, the only moments I felt it was tacitly condemning the main character's suicide were the excerpts showing her devastated family. Otherwise it sounded more  like "Hah! You were mean to me, so now you have my blood on your hands, sleep with that."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:18:06 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2792 on: October 17, 2017, 03:25:46 AM »
13 Reasons Why stirred up a surprising amount of controversy for those very reasons. I haven't watched it, nor do I intend to, but I personally know a teenager who was deeply affected by having done so.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2793 on: October 23, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Ok so I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead. I'm kinda glad I did, because before I was disinterested but still had a kernel of hope that it might change or get better; but now that episode convinced me that I was right to think I shouldn't bother. Plot armor and wacky plans are bad enough, but the video game logic just put it over the top.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2794 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
Any of the anime watchers that lurk these boards care to comment on what I started watching?

Neon Genesis Evangelion. Full disclosure I am not someone that watches anime. Heck the last anime thing I watched was Grave of the Fireflies 10 years ago and before that DBZ as a kid.

But I really really enjoy NGE. I plan on watching RG Utena later since someone recommended it as a Lynchian 90s anime.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2795 on: October 23, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
Lynchian 90s anime.

Interesting.  Is it truly Lynchian in your estimation?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2796 on: October 23, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
Lynchian 90s anime.

I dunno I haven't watched it yet.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2797 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
Lynchian 90s anime.

I dunno I haven't watched it yet.

I await your appraisal. :)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2798 on: October 24, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
The Good Place. Really good so far.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2799 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Mindhunter (Netflix)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #2800 on: October 27, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
The World Series.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2801 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:41 PM »
Game 7 of the World Series

Not a show but it is tv. I swore off baseball forever towards the end of the season, but I'll make an exception tonight.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2802 on: November 01, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
Me too.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2803 on: November 19, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
Africa (Netflix - animal doc - nice visuals)
Mindhunter (Netflix - kinda meh imo)
Major Crimes (meh)
Mr. Robot (just ok at first, great and good the last couple episodes)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:12:17 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2804 on: December 14, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
I'm watching Elementary for the sake of the series, but when I just want to have the TV on while I'm studying, I'm watching Friends, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (I still play the card game occasionally) and Pokémon: Indigo League, as in the old times.  8)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #2805 on: December 14, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
Doctor Who! It's pretty much the only one I watch, lol.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2806 on: December 14, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
With a few exceptions, it all goes downhill after the Tom Baker years.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2807 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
Glad they renewed Mr. Robot... seems like the ratings haven't been that great for a while (or ever).

Offline MariaJLM

• Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #2808 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to watch much of the classic series. My introduction to it was through the Ninth Doctor. I'm slowly working my way through the older episodes, though.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2809 on: December 15, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to watch much of the classic series. My introduction to it was through the Ninth Doctor. I'm slowly working my way through the older episodes, though.

I've shared my opinion a number of times here and, though it may cause many OC.netters' eyes to roll, I'll share it again, for the sound of my pontifications are to my ears as the mellifluous pluckings of a Gallifreyan lyre.

When the show started with William Hartnell, Doctor Who was a show about an eccentric man traveling randomly through space and time with his granddaughter and other companions. With those dodgy Styrofoam and cardboard sets, the writers and actors of the show created a sense that anything was possible. Horror, farce, history, adventure. They maintained this sense very well up through the 70's. I'm not pretending the show was perfect or consistently brilliant, but it was good, it had heart, and sometimes it really was amazing.

After John Nathan Turner took over as producer in the 80's, the show really declined. There's an emphasis on action set pieces, violence, and a fair amount of fanboyism too. Prettyboy Peter Davison isn't a very interesting Doctor. Not that there aren't still good stories, but the decline in quality is palpable. The worst and most enduring problem, though, is what starts to happen mainly in the Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor) years, where the Doctor is framed as a godlike being who somehow winds up being at the center of everything. Instead of a brilliant but unknown traveler who occasionally gets caught up, and meddles, in cosmic events, getting by mainly using his wits, he is some sort of cosmic principle himself. Everything seems to lead back to him. This last problem comes back in spades in the new series of the '00's. It's all about the Doctor. Even when various throwaway alien races are forging empires and ruining planets, somehow it's all about the Doctor or who he's slept with (abrogating the Doctor's asexuality is another big mistake). This makes the Doctor Who universe a very closed system. The new worlds, races, etc. feel like inconsequential foils.

Another problem the new series introduces is the 1 episode, 1 story format, which makes it feel like a much more conventional TV show. The old series had stories (not just story arcs) that spanned several episodes, some longer, some shorter, but giving enough time to develop ideas, settings, and characters. Of course, the new series does have its season-long story arcs, which invariably are about... the Doctor.

The overwhelming impression I get with the new series (and I've tried getting into it again and again at different junctures) is that the people writing it believe there is nothing really worth exploring in the universe except mirror images of ourselves. Everything, no matter how alien-seeming, is just a projection of our narcissism and has no substance. The new Sherlock series (which was run by Stephen Moffatt, an alumnus of the new Doctor Who) has the same feeling. It is a closed system, there are no real mysteries, everything is just about me, me, me.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:40:24 PM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2810 on: December 15, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
Well said! Bravo.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2811 on: January 06, 2018, 02:05:50 AM »
Ok, fine, I admit it: you guys were right, Seinfeld wasn't all that great.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2812 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
Ok, fine, I admit it: you guys were right, Seinfeld wasn't all that great.

It's ingenious. Especially for its time. But it's cold and sterile at heart.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2813 on: January 06, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
Started to watch "The Frozen Dead," based on a novel by Bernard Minier.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2814 on: January 06, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
Only just starting on Mozart in the Jungle, and I love it already.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2815 on: January 06, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »

Been curious about this. What's it about?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2816 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »

Been curious about this. What's it about?

The backstage shenanigans of the professional classical music circuit. Spinning off Blair Tindall's memoir, which I'm going to read as well.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2817 on: January 07, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
Now watching Bills vs. Jaguars.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2818 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
The Office (on Netflix).
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2819 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
Watching Saints vs. Panthers.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2820 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
How to Get Away With Murder. It's way darker than I thought.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2821 on: January 08, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
[mistake post]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:04:00 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2822 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »
Major Crimes (spoilers)

Kind of a strange final season for the series. Fans were already angry before the season started because it was announced that this was the final season. The writing was definitely on the wall though... in season 2 they were averaging about 5 million viewers per episode, but by the end of season 5 that number was down to under 2.5 million per episode. They apparently also had trouble attracting or retaining the magical "Adults 18–49" crowd. And for some reason they needlessly added another person to the regular cast, and then saddled the actress with role of being the obnoxious newcomer who grated on the older characters... but not too much grating, mind you, as they still wanted you to like her.

The season started with a fairly boring 5-episode story, then moved on to a kinda corny but more entertaining 4-episode story, then finished with a pretty good 4-episode 'big bad' story. But with 4 episodes still to go they killed off the person who was the first-among-equals for the ensemble cast--another thing many fans weren't very happy about. This was especially weird since, after a couple years of relationship development, the character had just gotten married 4 episodes previous to her surprising death. Then in the season finale they wanted to tie things up in a certain way, and give a send-off to all the characters, and it made for a fairly odd and disjointed final 10 minutes. It wasn't a horrible ending, just underwhelming, especially since up till that point the story had been better than their typical ones.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:03:41 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
« Reply #2823 on: January 13, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
Salem

Finished Unabomber today and wanted to get a new series to get addicted to. Only watched first two episodes but seems promising. I really like the basic concept that Salem witch-hunt was about an actual witch. From what my friend has told me series seem to include quite a lot of historical facts about how was portrayed back in the days which for me attach certain aura to it.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2824 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Second half of Everton vs. Tottenham. Tottenham up 3-0.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2825 on: January 21, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »
Salem

Finished Unabomber today and wanted to get a new series to get addicted to. Only watched first two episodes but seems promising. I really like the basic concept that Salem witch-hunt was about an actual witch.

Given how nasty and misogynistic the actual witch hunts got, I kind of have an ethical issue with stories that do the "maybe they were justified" thing (and I say this as someone who usually loves seeing the supernatural injected into real life history). But, then, I've not watched the show. Maybe it's still good.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:17:51 AM by Volnutt »
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2826 on: January 21, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
Tottenham vs. Southampton, 1-1 in the first half.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2827 on: January 21, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »

The first episode seemed promising, but it went downhill really fast.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
« Reply #2828 on: January 21, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
I just finished binge watching The Sopranos for about the 4th time. I never watched it when it first aired. I thought for all of the hype it couldn't possibly be that good. And since at the time it was the hipster thing to follow The Sopranos on HBO, then in my social iconoclasm I intentionally went out of my way not to watch it. I guess I first gave it a try about five years after it originally aired. I was immediately hooked. And I kept waiting for it to jump the shark. But it stayed the course. Brilliant writing and top notch acting from every actor that appeared throughout. One of the keenest and deepest portrayals of human depravity and moral conflict in all of literature or film. I am sad to have come to the end of the series once again. Just so good in so many ways.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:14:17 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2829 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
Just looked at the tv ratings for Better Call Saul from last season. Wow that's depressing.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2830 on: January 27, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
We just started watching Season Two of "The Leftovers" last night.  Watched the first 2 episodes.  I find the change of town/ site of the action from a place in New York State to Texas disconcerting.  And all these new characters?
Not sure if it is worth while watching the rest of the episodes.  Does it get any better?   

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2831 on: February 09, 2018, 04:41:49 AM »
Slowly making my way through Legends of Tomorrow.

Like the rest of the Arrowverse (well, to be fair I've only seen one episode of Supergirl and Arrow bores me too much to regularly watch, so I'm mostly comparing to the Flash here), the writing is 90% dreck and the special effects are often worse. But the character actors make it worth it- Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller chewing the scenery, Victor Garber playing a mega-snob who talks like William Shatner, Brandon Routh and Nick Zano as twin adorkable idiots, Arthur Darvill desperately trying to be this weird hybrid of the Doctor and James Bond; good stuff.

I just wish some of the other cast members were better (*cough* Franz Drameh *cough*), or at least that Carlos Valdes was in it.
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

• Merarches
« Reply #2832 on: February 09, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »
Just looked at the tv ratings for Better Call Saul from last season. Wow that's depressing.

Is season three out now? I loved the first two seasons.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2833 on: February 09, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »

Is season three out now? I loved the first two seasons.

Selam

Season 3 aired on AMC but it isn't yet on netflix or another service like that so far as I know. I think normally it would have been on netflix by this point, but they've apparently delayed Season 4 till this fall, so maybe that's lagging behind as well.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2834 on: February 09, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »
New Star Wars Rebels almost here! [insert squee]

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~