Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 364005 times)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2745 on: September 03, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
Well that's going to tick off a ton of people. I thought it was a brilliant way to end the season.

What year is this? (Loved how the Frost/Lynch logo had no electricity sound)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2746 on: September 04, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
The Twin Peaks two part season finale did not disappoint.  Lynch and Frost simultaneously wrapped up enough of this season's immediate plotlines to leave the viewer satisfied while simultaneously leaving enough of the big questions unresolved to bait the hook for the next go 'round, creating new questions in the process.

I'm thinking Lynch is still leaving the door open for Michael Ontkean to at least make a cameo next season.

Audrey's story is probably the resolution I'll be looking forward to second most, right after the showdown with The Experiment/Sarah.

I loved the floating Briggs head in the Fireman's lair, and the way the Fireman caged Dopple-Coop and re-directed him to meet his fate at the Sheriff's station.

I also loved the reactions of Mitchum Brothers to the weirdness, Coop's getting to the bottom of the noise at the Great Northern, and, most of all, his attempt at rescuing Laura from her fate.  Gotta love Coop and Laura.

I'm also thrilled with the fact that Judy is not Garland Briggs.  I never bought that theory.  I think the fan hype concerning the Wizard of Oz stuff is overrated.  I'm not saying it isn't there, but this isn't Wild at Heart.

Strong ending to a strong season.  This incarnation of Twin Peaks is reinventing TV in the same way the original run did back when I watched it on the old Zenith.  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2747 on: September 05, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
Does anyone else here watch The Strain?

I've had mixed feelings about this current season, but Setrakian's speech before dispatching Eichorst was fantastic.

Also, I liked how an Orthodox prayer rope got worked into a minor plot point.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2748 on: September 06, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
I've always wanted to watch the Strain. Is that on Netflix or Amazon?

Finished two episodes of Black Mirror, The Entire History of You and Be Right Back. Great stuff.

And I just started Orphan Black which has me hooked. Loving it.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2749 on: September 06, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Let me know what you think of the rest of Black Mirror. They kinda reminded me of the old Twilight Zone episodes, where they can be interesting if you focus on the ideas, and can look past the huge plot holes and nonsensical character choices. I watched the first 3 episodes and couldn't see a reason to continue, but everyone always talks up how great the series is.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2750 on: September 08, 2017, 01:37:13 AM »
Let me know what you think of the rest of Black Mirror. They kinda reminded me of the old Twilight Zone episodes, where they can be interesting if you focus on the ideas, and can look past the huge plot holes and nonsensical character choices. I watched the first 3 episodes and couldn't see a reason to continue, but everyone always talks up how great the series is.
You're right that you don't want to miss the forest for the trees. I can get past some of the nonsensical details. They don't detract from the warnings these episodes impart. It's good to see a show revealing the darker side to seemingly innocuous technological advancements.

The first two episodes I didn't care too much for. But the third one I thought was really disturbing. Same with Season 2 episode 1. Something about plausible near-future tech and how that changes human relationships is always fascinating to me, especially if the outlook is bleak. Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist but besides the  obvious warnings, I have gotten from both those episodes is to embrace and love all our human flaws and limitations. Look at the hell the couple live through with memory augmentations or bringing "back to life" a deceased lover in A.I. cyborg form. I'm staunchly against transhumanism and A.I. so these episodes only reinforce my convictions LOL.

I'll watch the others soon after I finish up Orphan Black. Just finished Season 1 and it's unbelievable how great of an actress Tatiana Maslany is. Each character she plays is totally distinct, like I'm watching different actresses. I'm glad she has a lot of characters because the other cast members are pretty second-rate in comparison.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2751 on: September 08, 2017, 02:05:26 AM »
The Twin Peaks two part season finale did not disappoint.  Lynch and Frost simultaneously wrapped up enough of this season's immediate plotlines to leave the viewer satisfied while simultaneously leaving enough of the big questions unresolved to bait the hook for the next go 'round, creating new questions in the process.

The only unresolved plotline that bothers me still is Audrey's. I'm not satisfied it ended her in a white room looking at a mirror in shock. I'm not asking for a complete exposition but that did demand more of an exploration of her condition. I'm fine with everything else that was left unresolved and up to speculation. The less the show explains the better.

However that does lead me to a criticism I have of the show, now that's ended and I can look at it as a whole.

There is a lot of filler. And I mean a lot. All the nighttime driving, broom sweeping, french girl leaving the hotel room with Cole, the Fireman waiting forever to turn off the noise in the tower etc. never created any mood or atmosphere. It's like Lynch is trying as hard as possible to exhaust the viewer with tedium. I was perfectly fine with the glass box in NYC slowly unraveling itself because of how mysterious it is, but the show needed some serious editing. Lynch got too self-indulgent for my taste. His masterpiece is still Mulholland Dr, it has the perfect balance.

All said and done I have a lot of mixed feelings. Some things I loved, others I liked, and others that agonizingly bored me to irritation. And I'm someone that can watch a 10hr Holocaust documentary with no issues.

This incarnation of Twin Peaks is reinventing TV in the same way the original run did back when I watched it on the old Zenith.  :)
One thing is for certain, this Twin Peaks is nothing like the Twin Peaks I know and love. That's not a knock, just what it is.

I don't know about reinventing TV. On one level it is probably one of the worst written TV shows I've ever seen but considering how anti-Twin Peaks the Return is, gotta wonder if that was the point...

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #2752 on: September 08, 2017, 03:08:34 AM »
Nothing right now. Finished what was available of Gotham on US Netflix* maybe a week ago and haven't gotten hooked to anything else. I guess it's a good thing. More time to do normal things.

*My VPN service gets me by geographic restrictions.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2753 on: September 08, 2017, 03:10:16 AM »
Rick and Morty on Youtube.  Pretty funny.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #2754 on: September 08, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
This incarnation of Twin Peaks is reinventing TV in the same way the original run did back when I watched it on the old Zenith.  :)

And our lives continue to parallel each other in strange ways.

No TV shows por moi to report. I was checking out this thread for ideas.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2755 on: September 08, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
Watched a lot of hurricane coverage yesterday. Then tried to normalize myself with baseball.

Tonight it'll probably be the same thing.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2756 on: September 08, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »
Rick and Morty on Youtube.  Pretty funny.

+1

And our lives continue to parallel each other in strange ways.

One of us is obviously a tulpa.

:-) ALL

Does that do anything for you?

The only unresolved plotline that bothers me still is Audrey's. I'm not satisfied it ended her in a white room looking at a mirror in shock. I'm not asking for a complete exposition but that did demand more of an exploration of her condition. I'm fine with everything else that was left unresolved and up to speculation. The less the show explains the better.

They've gotta bait the hook somehow.  Audrey's story came online so late, it was kinda obvious they weren't gonna give us too much this season.  And that tease with the arm - the little girl who lived down the lane stuff - hinting that there's some lodge business involved, that was brilliant.  If Showtime doesn't pick them up for another season, that will be criminal.  The question is, are Lynch/Frost interested and can they fire off another season in standard TV time instead of taking another four years?

However that does lead me to a criticism I have of the show, now that's ended and I can look at it as a whole.

There is a lot of filler. And I mean a lot. All the nighttime driving, broom sweeping, french girl leaving the hotel room with Cole, the Fireman waiting forever to turn off the noise in the tower etc. never created any mood or atmosphere. It's like Lynch is trying as hard as possible to exhaust the viewer with tedium. I was perfectly fine with the glass box in NYC slowly unraveling itself because of how mysterious it is, but the show needed some serious editing. Lynch got too self-indulgent for my taste. His masterpiece is still Mulholland Dr, it has the perfect balance.

To each his own, I suppose.  I don't want to say "You're watching it wrong", but I couldn't disagree more about what you think of as "filler" not being atmospheric.  Lynch definitely has a reason for each moment he allows on screen, and he definitely has enough plates spinning that there's no reason for filler for its own sake.  As far as exhausting the viewer goes, I guess that depends on each viewer's personal reaction to those scenes.  I heard a lot of people carping about Cooper (Richard) and Laura (Claire)'s drive from Odessa to Twin Peaks, but I loved every minute of it.  It was immersive and atmospheric and all get out.  I felt like I was in the car for a late night long distance drive.  It was very familiar.  Very atmospheric.  I loved it.  Mulholland Drive was great, but I hesitate to call it Lynch's standalone masterpiece.  I'm thinking this series might be his magnum opus.  Speaking of Mulholland Drive though, how awesome would it be if Lynch/Frost brought both Donnas back and made a plot point out of that a la Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway?  ;D

All said and done I have a lot of mixed feelings. Some things I loved, others I liked, and others that agonizingly bored me to irritation. And I'm someone that can watch a 10hr Holocaust documentary with no issues.

I know what you mean.  I can't stand it - for example - when they do those kind of "jokes" (using the term loosely) on Family Guy or whatever, where Peter holds his injured shin and inhales sharply for ten minutes, or they cut away to Conway Twitty for a whole song.  I just think what Lynch wsa doing was different.  Watching his films is sort of like staring at a painting or a sculpture to me.  It's going to evoke all kinds of primal feelings.  That's how I read those scenes.

One thing is for certain, this Twin Peaks is nothing like the Twin Peaks I know and love. That's not a knock, just what it is.

Yeah, but you have to expect that.  Television has moved on a great deal since the original run, and if they just indulged in heavy nostalgia and trotted out the same tropes as last time, it would be terrible, and satisfy no one but a few sad souls who dress up in Log Lady sweaters and Bob vests and wish they could date Kyle McLachlan or Sherilyn Fenn.  I'd say the soul of the show is the same.  We're just getting a more direct look at what was always bubbling beneath the surface in the town.

I don't know about reinventing TV. On one level it is probably one of the worst written TV shows I've ever seen but considering how anti-Twin Peaks the Return is, gotta wonder if that was the point...

I think the writing is perfect for what it is.  You could make the same criticism of the writing in the original run, or Wild at Heart, or any other number of Lynch projects, but like you said, that's kind of the point.  Lynch's work - to me at least - is more about feeling that anything else.  The writing doesn't try to be Shakespeare and the CGI effects don't try to be photorealistic, but they don't have to to accomplish the artist's purpose.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2757 on: September 08, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
Finished what's available of Black-ish last night. One of the best *network* sitcoms right now.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2758 on: September 08, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
Today, it's "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries," and probably some more "Endeavour" later.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Robert McGee Scalped
« Reply #2759 on: September 08, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
Homeland

Really just another American drivel show

The lead lady is awful, really can't stand her, or maybe it's the writers I can't stand

Their perception of women sucks

Their values suck

Hated watching her seduce a Muslim youth to exploit him for political purposes, then his Taliban uncle shots him in the forehead for being a traitor, whereupon the bipolar Lithium barbiturate sodden lead lady, watching it all happen with drone cameras, starts screaming to blow everyone up including the previous director of the CIA (and her friend and champion) who is being held captive by the Talib an

Her command is stayed by her sidekick Quinn who has just suffered a breakdown including binge drinking and screwing an obese woman.

This counts as edgy and existential despair in American telly apparently

Their 'good American evil terrorist' theme was thoroughly worn out by the  Bush administration

Much prefer Nordic noir character development and sets

The Guardian says Brits hold the shows in equal regard

?
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14.12

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2760 on: September 08, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
"How to Hire a Lawyer", from my private collection.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2761 on: September 09, 2017, 03:40:26 PM »
Yay, Strictly is back! :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2762 on: September 09, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
Right now, "Endeavour" season three. Earlier today, soccer and "Death in Paradise."

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2763 on: September 10, 2017, 04:10:39 AM »
The Confession Tapes (Netflix)

Similar format and subject material (generally speaking) as Making a Murderer.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2764 on: September 10, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
Hurricane coverage. :) Can't wait for this to be over.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2765 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »

To clarify, by "format" I don't mean over the course of a 'season,' but rather the individual episodes.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2766 on: September 10, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

To clarify, by "format" I don't mean over the course of a 'season,' but rather the individual episodes.

I started to watch the first episode. I was tired and didn't have the patience. I'll give it another shot when I can give it my full attention.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2767 on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
Right now, I'm starting over with "Grantchester" from episode one of the first year. I got a little out of order and I need to sort out some plot stuff.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2768 on: September 13, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »

I started to watch the first episode. I was tired and didn't have the patience. I'll give it another shot when I can give it my full attention.

Selam

I liked the first couple episodes, but things started to drag towards the end of the season. Part of the problem is needing to get across how certain psychological tactics can put suspects into vulnerable states, even though this playing out can be boring or tedious to watch. The points seems counter-intuitive, and can't just be passed over with a one minute overview; the show needs to get in depth if the point is to be persuasively made. But I have to admit that, at times, in the last couple episodes, it seemed so bad as to indicate storytelling incompetence rather than purposeful argumentation. There's a more charitable reading of it though: if you as a viewer--butt on couch, remote in hand, no recent sufferer of life-changing trauma--can be manipulated into a certain emotional response, imagine what it's like for these suspects!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:00:55 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2769 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
The People versus O.J.

Half of it has been spent saying, oh yeah, I forgot that awful person was involved in that case.

Travolta had so much Botox and used so many prosthetics to look like Shapiro that his face is weirdly frozen from the mid-cheek up.

They do a pretty decent job of making Marcia Clark come off as a shark but also a human lady.

I don't know how much of the dialogue and out-of-the-courtroom conflict is fictionalized or played up for dramatic purposes, but the internal story tension between Darden and Cochran is excellent (especially Cochran's little rejoinder at the end of the speech about allowing the use of racial slurs).

David Schwimmer shows his acting chops, making you feel like Robert Kardashian just got sucked into the orbit of the whole thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:27:53 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2770 on: September 16, 2017, 01:17:56 AM »
BBC's Pride and Prejudice mini series (from the 80's).   ;D

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2771 on: September 17, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager - Yet again I try to watch this series, and yet again I cringe too much and can't continue; I feel like a Trekkie failure

Madam Secretary (S3) - Decent show, and still improving

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2772 on: September 18, 2017, 06:06:45 AM »
Grantchester.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2773 on: September 21, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
Rick & Morty has been a little meh for the past couple of episodes.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2774 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »
Redwater. It's pretty strange.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2775 on: September 22, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Finally saw the third and final season of Penny Dreadful. The first two seasons were brilliant- a really fun horror supergroup period piece, intelligently written by people who clearly loved the period and its literature and did their homework. A breath of fresh air in a wasteland of garbage supernaturally themed TV. This third season was a big letdown. There is still some great stuff, but it's rushed and poorly developed. The writers try to pack in too many things at once, and some very promising storylines go nowhere. The ending is underwhelming and pretty incoherent. If this is really the best they could come up with, then I guess it's for the best that the show ended.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2776 on: September 22, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
Just started watching season seven of "Vera." I have to catch up.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2777 on: September 22, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
The ending is underwhelming and pretty incoherent. If this is really the best they could come up with, then I guess it's for the best that the show ended.

The developer claims that he was planning it to be only three seasons from the beginning, but only sprang it on the creative team, including the actors, halfway into the second.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2778 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
The ending is underwhelming and pretty incoherent. If this is really the best they could come up with, then I guess it's for the best that the show ended.

The developer claims that he was planning it to be only three seasons from the beginning, but only sprang it on the creative team, including the actors, halfway into the second.

Yeah, I had read that. Bad move I say.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2779 on: September 23, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »
Pitt vs. Georgia Tech

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2780 on: September 23, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Father Brown, the Mark Williams version.