OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 69818 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »

Lets see. Marines with chain guns and arty vs. unarmed slow moving Zombies whose only weapon is to bite you.

Thirty Marines with a few chain guns and several cases of beer and the Zombie problem goes away fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ORo7L9iyC4

Next, calculate the cyclic rate of fire vs the weight of the 5.56mm x 45 round!    Tongue
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »

Actually you wouldn't even have to him them in the head, targeting the legs would be much easier and sufficiently limit their mobility. Lower the chain gun and unleash.  Tongue

On another note I'm interested about the helicopter Rick saw when he first got to Atlanta. Was it real? Who owned it? Does it appear in the comic?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:54:17 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

I want to stat watching this Walking Dead thing.

Netflix time!

Never saw it, but I understand Susan Sarandon was very good.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »

I want to stat watching this Walking Dead thing.

Netflix time!

Never saw it, but I understand Susan Sarandon was very good.

I just knew Sean Penn was a zombie!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:08:29 AM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

So my mom is starting to get into Breaking Bad. Dunno how to feel about this.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »

Final report: The Bachelor ( no homo)

He picked Courtney. No surprise..yawn... He kept asking : Who would my Dad want me to pick" ..Well, Courtney of course.. She is drop dead gorgeous...

But she is a total nut case man eater... He looked like something the cat dragged in last night..... Hope it was good.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:43:17 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »

One of the best written shows on television, bar none. And, it does not glamorize the characters' bad behavior. To the contrary, it shows how it tears people and families apart.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »

One of the best written shows on television, bar none. And, it does not glamorize the characters' bad behavior. To the contrary, it shows how it tears people and families apart.

Oh, I agree. The writers are brilliant at depicting the corrupting effects of sin. It's just that I don't always feel entirely comfortable watching the characters clean up partially dissolved entrails, choke people with bike locks, throw parties with topless women, have sex with meth whores, explode law enforcement agents, and use very naughty language in the graphic manner often depicted on the show when I'm with my mom, and I always feel like she's judging me for liking it before she did.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »

Oh, I agree. The writers are brilliant at depicting the corrupting effects of sin. It's just that I don't always feel entirely comfortable watching the characters clean up partially dissolved entrails, choke people with bike locks, throw parties with topless women, have sex with meth whores, explode law enforcement agents, and use very naughty language in the graphic manner often depicted on the show when I'm with my mom, and I always feel like she's judging me for liking it before she did.

I don't know about throwing parties, but the rest of that sounds okay.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »

I don't know about throwing parties, but the rest of that sounds okay.
Not criticizing you per se, but this statement does seem to embody the trend discussed in this thread.  And keep in mind that I'm watching this stuff with my mother.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »

Just saw Walking Dead season finale, a week late. I was out of town and couldn't get AMC there.

Hershel used the butt of his gun like Davey Crockett...... as predicted.

Hooded Woman with zombies on a leash.... WTF

Last shot is of a Prison in the distance. High walls, barbed wire. Looks like home to me.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »

"Mad Men" finally returns!  Bert Cooper's return to SCDP unexplained?  I saw Don get engaged last season; he wasn't married yet; did I miss his marriage?  When did Don tell Megan about "Dick?"  How about that concluding scene?  "You don't have to say you love me, just be close at hand.  You don't have to stay forever I will understand..."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:05:57 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »

Finished watching the Newsradio series (again) last week, and have been working through season 7 of DS9 over the weekend... 2 more episodes to go, but I'm dreading the finale, it seems like such a let down...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »

Lots of college hockey games this past week.  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »

"Mad Men" finally returns!  Bert Cooper's return to SCDP unexplained?  I saw Don get engaged last season; he wasn't married yet; did I miss his marriage?  When did Don tell Megan about "Dick?"  How about that concluding scene?  "You don't have to say you love me, just be close at hand.  You don't have to stay forever I will understand..."

All of that occurred off camera between Seasons 4 and 5.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »

Thank you, Sauron.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #331 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

"North Woods Law."

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

History Channel

Watching their annual Western pre-Easter sowing of gnosticism by 'scholars' such as Crossan et. al.

Cry
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #333 on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »

Finished watching the Newsradio series (again) last week, and have been working through season 7 of DS9 over the weekend... 2 more episodes to go, but I'm dreading the finale, it seems like such a let down...

If you liked NewsRadio, you'll probably enjoy Buffalo Bill. It's a forgotten 80s sitcom which is basically Bill McNeal in a TV studio. Great stuff.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:38 AM »

^ Cool, I'll check it out. (darn, yet another thing to add to my "want" list)  Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #335 on: May 26, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »

Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

It's the second set of 3.  Set in present day London with the Consulting Detective handling modern twists on some of the old stories.  Very well done for the most part and quirky.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

It's the second set of 3.  Set in present day London with the Consulting Detective handling modern twists on some of the old stories.  Very well done for the most part and quirky.

Thank you, Ebor, I'm going to try it.

Actually, I recently bookmarked that show on Netflix -- along with a bunch of other shows. But I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it without someone mentioning it.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #337 on: May 26, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »

It can be rather edgy and B.C. is playing Holmes as someone who is not in the "normal" neural spectrum and that's how he's able to pick us minutia and put things together.  It's rather like Jeremy Brett's Holmes who came across somewhat as in the Asperger's-Autistic spectrum. (I know people who are in the AAS).

Both roles have Holmes as someone who does not always (or often) recognize/realize what could be proper social cues and interactions.  If you have a chance to read any of Temple Grandin's work on what it's like being autistic it's  it might look familiar, for instance that other people's emotional relationships not being part of her world.  That is, she doesn't understand them/emotions like that are not part of her being.  

Well, this Sherlock is like that and there are scenes where he might remember that he's supposed to act a certain way or he uses a particular behaviour to get information that he wants.  In the first episode he responses to a remark by a member of the police force with "I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

Also, the translation to the present works pretty well.  In the stories Holmes and Watson meet when he is a relatively young man and he does use the latest technology of his day with chemistry experiments and telegrams and such.  Well, this Holmes uses science and computers and texting on phones.

There are some fine references to the originals, things like Freeman's Watson has just returned from an army posting to Afghanistan and with the ban on public smoking Holmes at one point has a "three patch problem" (nicotine patches)

It's not every Holmesian's cuppa but you might like it.

Ebor
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:49:50 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #338 on: May 26, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »

P.S. just as a caution: The first episode of season 2 "A Scandal in Belgravia" does have some nudity, though it's not full frontal and it does have a tidy reason that fits in the character of Irene Adler.  But it's not for small children

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #339 on: May 26, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »

"The Inspector Lynley Mysteries." They had a good sale at Movie Spot the other day, and I picked up a bunch of good box sets, for really cheap. Oh, and I catch "Midsomer Murders" every time it's on.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #340 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »

Both roles have Holmes as someone who does not always (or often) recognize/realize what could be proper social cues and interactions.  If you have a chance to read any of Temple Grandin's work on what it's like being autistic it's  it might look familiar, for instance that other people's emotional relationships not being part of her world.  That is, she doesn't understand them/emotions like that are not part of her being.  

I liked the movie, Temple Grandin, but I hadn't given much thought to reading something by her until you brought it up.

Anyhoo, I'll probably try Sherlock in the next few days. I'll let you know what I think.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #341 on: May 26, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Jeremy Brett Holmes and I also enjoy the new series.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #342 on: May 26, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Jeremy Brett Holmes and I also enjoy the new series.

I've only seen a couple episodes of the new one. It's pretty good, though.  Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

Jeremy Brett was brilliant as Sherlock Holmes. 

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »

Hunter via netflix
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #345 on: May 27, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »

Hunter via netflix

I got some DVDs on sale. Awesome.  Grin

John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #346 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »

A friend and I were discussing Breaking Bad tonight. We're both making our way through it. One thing we noticed is that the show displays the excuses we create to rationalize our behavior. We know we do wrong things, but we try to rationalize them in one way or another. I think it's a very well-written show, personally.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

Hunter via netflix

Hunter DVDs?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #348 on: May 27, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »

Hunter via netflix

Hunter DVDs?

Yeah, I got Seasons One and Two. Neat!  Grin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »

Friday Night Lights.

I'm so engrossed. Lyla is hottt but doesn't have the full deck.

I'M THE SMASH BABY
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:19:27 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »

Friday Night Lights.

I'M THE SMASH BABY

The first two seasons are excellent. Great stuff. Buddy Garrity is the best!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

Friday Night Lights.

I'M THE SMASH BABY

Selam

Does Buddy get better over the season?

I love Smash Williams though, his character change after the discovery of the steroids was awesome.

EDIT: What's wrong with the seasons after 2?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:10:11 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »

Friday Night Lights.

I'M THE SMASH BABY

Selam

Does Buddy get better over the season?

I love Smash Williams though, his character change after the discovery of the steroids was awesome.

EDIT: What's wrong with the seasons after 2?

I think season 3 was ok, but after that some of the main characters left and it became a bit too cliched. The pro-abortion propaganda also inevitably reared its ugly head in season 3 or 4 I think. Some interesting plot lines were left dangling as well. But the first two seasons were excellent. I think season three was pretty good too. But after that it went downhill. Of course, you are so invested in it by that point that you keep watching.

BTW, Brad Leland (Buddy Garrity) was in the movie, and the actress that plays the coach's wife was also in the original movie. Brad Leland is perfect in that role.

Selam
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:34:19 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

So Buddy Garrity gets better though? He's dislikable right now, and I'm on episode 14.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

So Buddy Garrity gets better though? He's dislikable right now, and I'm on episode 14.

But the thing is that he's dislikable because he sells that role so well. That's why I like him. I won't divulge whether he gets "better" or not.  Wink

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »

Ah I see. Coach Taylor rocks too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »

I've been enjoying Malcolm in the Middle on Netflix. Quite nostalgic and quite funny.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »

I've been enjoying Malcolm in the Middle on Netflix. Quite nostalgic and quite funny.
All seasons up??

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #358 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

Yep. I suppose it's their apology for only doing one DVD release.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »

I used to watch that.

I'm curious about your "nostalgic" comment ...

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: