Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 844776 times)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #3060 on: February 06, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
^^Nice review, thanks!!  I'll at least save it to my list.  Maybe I just need to be in the right mood.
I just finished the 3rd episode.  I like it.  But yes, definitely need to be in the right mood.  It's not as compelling as the games, though.  I only remember the basic gist, but to me, the characters were more memorable in the games than they are in the show.

I agree with you about the games being better. I wonder how many would say the same, or put either ahead of the books. I think I'm in small company in putting the books at the bottom of the list.
I haven't read much of the books.  If memory serves, I wasn't super impressed.  But I also tend to favor the first form of a story I run across, even if it's not the original.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline mcarmichael

• "buddy"
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #3061 on: February 07, 2020, 12:35:21 AM »
Binging "Killing Eve" now. It's better than "ER" imho.
I liked Season 1 of "Killing Eve" but not Season 2.  I thought towards the end of Season 2 Eve herself was not true to her character established in Season 1.
I binged both seasons at once, and to me the ending seemed redundant. It explained the title, but didn't inspire me.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3062 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:09 AM »
^^Nice review, thanks!!  I'll at least save it to my list.  Maybe I just need to be in the right mood.
I just finished the 3rd episode.  I like it.  But yes, definitely need to be in the right mood.  It's not as compelling as the games, though.  I only remember the basic gist, but to me, the characters were more memorable in the games than they are in the show.

I agree with you about the games being better. I wonder how many would say the same, or put either ahead of the books. I think I'm in small company in putting the books at the bottom of the list.
I haven't read much of the books.  If memory serves, I wasn't super impressed.  But I also tend to favor the first form of a story I run across, even if it's not the original.

Spousal unit is reading the books right now and he's chortling away. Not sure how much of the fun and bon mots are down to the author or to the translator, though.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3063 on: February 13, 2020, 01:05:17 AM »
Star Trek: Picard

I was cautiously optimistic beforehand, and so far (after 3 episodes) I've liked it.
"The publican’s prayers overcame God, although God is invincible. Nineveh was saved by its tears from the impending ruin caused by its sin.” (St. Jerome, Letter 16.1)

"There are few words of men which are not vain and idle." (St. Justin Popovich)

"'Remember me in your kingdom.' An amazing and unique occurrence that you saw a cross and thought of a kingdom." (St. John Chrysostom)

Offline Tannhouser

• Jurisdiction: OCA Catechumen
« Reply #3064 on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:10 AM »
Started watching Sword Art Online season 3... I think? Get their episodic nomenclature confused. Good start I guess. I do enjoy the coherency, and characters (pro- & ant-) which are carried through even from season 1. Yeah the harem thing is ridiculous.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3065 on: February 18, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »
Virgin River.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3066 on: May 19, 2020, 02:07:03 AM »
Devs - Good show if you want something weird and kind of a step up from the standard pop-philosophy stuff. The main criticism I saw of it was that it was slow, and yeah, very little action. I disagree with any criticism about the characters in the show though, just keep in mind the scope of this: it's an 8 episode miniseries focusing on a concept, with everything done in service to exploring that concept.

Black Sails - First season was kind of a drag at times, but it did enough to hook me, and it got better in the 2nd season. And by the end of the second season I felt like all that groundwork-laying they were doing paid off, because the last two episodes was one of the best one-two punches I've seen in a TV show.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:08:38 AM by Asteriktos »
"The publican’s prayers overcame God, although God is invincible. Nineveh was saved by its tears from the impending ruin caused by its sin.” (St. Jerome, Letter 16.1)

"'Remember me in your kingdom.' An amazing and unique occurrence that you saw a cross and thought of a kingdom." (St. John Chrysostom)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3067 on: May 19, 2020, 09:26:35 AM »
Country music videos in the morning.
<><

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3068 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Sweet Magnolias

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3069 on: May 27, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
A Town Called Eureka reruns.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3070 on: May 28, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
No, I don't want be distracted by people talking on Television.
<><

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3071 on: June 13, 2020, 12:21:47 AM »
House of Cards is still awesome at the point of the series I'm in.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #3072 on: June 14, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »

Black Sails - First season was kind of a drag at times, but it did enough to hook me, and it got better in the 2nd season. And by the end of the second season I felt like all that groundwork-laying they were doing paid off, because the last two episodes was one of the best one-two punches I've seen in a TV show.

Agree-I wasn't into the first season but the show got better and more mysterious as it went on.  It is worth hanging in with it.  The last season was a real surprise at least to me.  Good show.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #3073 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:45 PM »
Black Sails

Agree-I wasn't into the first season but the show got better and more mysterious as it went on.  It is worth hanging in with it.  The last season was a real surprise at least to me.  Good show.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:02:23 PM by IreneOlinyk »

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3074 on: June 15, 2020, 04:16:16 AM »
I'd rather watch the same good TV series repeatedly than suffer through something that I have to force myself to like. If the acting and plot and story don't grab me from the jump, I won't waste my time. I always hear people say things like, "It gets better in season two." Ugh. I don't have the time to waste. But that's just me.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3075 on: June 29, 2020, 11:24:12 PM »
The Shield - never saw it before but heard good things about it, so I bought the entire series on DVD. Somewhat surreal watching it at this particular moment in history.

Offline mcarmichael

• "buddy"
  • Archon
« Reply #3076 on: Yesterday at 10:01:54 PM »
I finished "Briarwood" today. Rosario killed it, imho.

PS. How do I unsubscribe from this thread? I realize there might be some people who are really interested in what other people are watching on TV, and maybe there's nothing wrong with that, idk. I'm tired of this sort of content always at the top of the list when I check in though.