Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 557074 times)

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2970 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
John Adams. HBO miniseries. Pretty good, good cinematography.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2971 on: November 02, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
Castlevania (Season 2)
House of Cards (Season 6) - I'm glad it's over...

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #2972 on: November 02, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2973 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »
EDIT
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:13:11 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline mcarmichael

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2974 on: November 03, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
I think I'm done watching TV. House, M.D. was it for me.
No TV series could ever possibly beat that ending, which is what makes a story.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:25:56 PM by mcarmichael »
"Forgive me, a sinner." - serb1389

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2975 on: November 12, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »
The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix). It has some strong moments but overall it's quite mediocre. It's one of those cases where the writers think a straight ghost story is too unsophisticated and they fell the need to spell out the psychological/social underpinnings with some therapeutic resolution at the end. As they work toward the clunker of an ending, coherence and atmosphere decline and we are left with a pretty dull family psychodrama. And for all the pretension they still rely on lazy jump scares and horror makeup effects that are by now utterly generic.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2976 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's mostly a clumsy mess, but it has rare and pretty random moments of brilliance that confuse me.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #2977 on: November 15, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
Lately I've been looking for ways to practice "The Benedict Option" in my binge-watching time. The "Bob Newhart Show" on Hulu is doing it for me. It's funny, smart, and somehow just radiates goodness, if that makes sense. I never feel like I've wasted a half hour of my life that I'll never get back, as with some other shows.
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline iohanne

« Reply #2978 on: November 15, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's mostly a clumsy mess, but it has rare and pretty random moments of brilliance that confuse me.

Yes.  I found it quite interesting that, instead of portraying witchcraft  as nice and bubbly and glamorous and cute and generically magical, they portray it as blatantly satanic (probably to the chagrin of Wiccans and Neo-Pagans) and as part of a secret family religion. Rather than the episodic series of the '90s, Sabrina struggles with her involvement in Satanism, even if its construed as a fight for her free will and freedom (which, to be fair, is a theme in Christianity if we remember that our Lord freed us from spiritual slavery to death, sin and the passions).  Her involvement in witchcraft and Satanism is only deepened when she feels it is the only way to save her loved ones and I find that compelling because it plays with the theme of slow, manipulated corruption (reminiscent of Breaking Bad).

I was delighted to see that her mother secretly baptising her into the Catholic Church protects her soul from having to be legally bound by a Satanic contract, nullifying Satans ownership over her.

At first I was afraid conservative fundamentalist Christians would hate the show but there's a lot going for it.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2979 on: November 15, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Yes.  I found it quite interesting that, instead of portraying witchcraft  as nice and bubbly and glamorous and cute and generically magical, they portray it as blatantly satanic (probably to the chagrin of Wiccans and Neo-Pagans) and as part of a secret family religion. Rather than the episodic series of the '90s, Sabrina struggles with her involvement in Satanism, even if its construed as a fight for her free will and freedom (which, to be fair, is a theme in Christianity if we remember that our Lord freed us from spiritual slavery to death, sin and the passions).  Her involvement in witchcraft and Satanism is only deepened when she feels it is the only way to save her loved ones and I find that compelling because it plays with the theme of slow, manipulated corruption (reminiscent of Breaking Bad).

I was delighted to see that her mother secretly baptising her into the Catholic Church protects her soul from having to be legally bound by a Satanic contract, nullifying Satans ownership over her.

At first I was afraid conservative fundamentalist Christians would hate the show but there's a lot going for it.

I'm conflicted, now that it's done. It's very well made and superbly cast, but the devil-worship thing is straight out of Satanic Panic, and I didn't appreciate the sexualisation either. Still watching season 2 when it comes out, tho.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2980 on: November 15, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
I think having the witches blatantly satanic is a great idea, it just needs a little more work. Some lame Wicca thing like they did in Buffy would be a big step down. Wicca is as fake as Scientology. Satanic witchcraft is mostly fake too but at least it has folkloric pedigree. Medieval Satanic panic is the only reason we have an idea of witches in Western culture.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:04:06 PM by Iconodule »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2981 on: November 16, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »
Medieval Satanic panic is the only reason we have an idea of witches in Western culture.

Medieval Satanic panic is what you get when you treat incels like they have a valid point.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2982 on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:07 AM »
MST3K - The Gauntlet (Netflix)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2983 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Narcos: Mexico

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #2984 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »
Haven't watched a TV show in years ```

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #2985 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
Christian TV Channels
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2986 on: November 25, 2018, 12:44:47 PM »
Despite the bad experience at first with season 9, now that I have cable again I've been watching TWD... and this is probably the best the show has been since season 5.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2987 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
Settling down with The White Queen and The White Princess as prep for when The Spanish Princess drops. Not too long now, hopefully.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #2988 on: November 27, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
None turned off the TV for awhile
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:11:02 AM by WPM »
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline mcarmichael

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2989 on: December 02, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
Lately I've been looking for ways to practice "The Benedict Option" in my binge-watching time. The "Bob Newhart Show" on Hulu is doing it for me. It's funny, smart, and somehow just radiates goodness, if that makes sense. I never feel like I've wasted a half hour of my life that I'll never get back, as with some other shows.
Very interesting. I may need to google this.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:24:55 AM by mcarmichael »
"Forgive me, a sinner." - serb1389

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2990 on: December 05, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »
Sidebar:

Wrote a quiz. The first for 'Endeavour' on the trivia site.

http://www.funtrivia.com/link.cfm?id=393009
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2991 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Watched a BBC special on polar bears. I think it was called "Snow Bears." It was good! The bears swam in water, got lost, discovered a dead whale and ate some of it, and other things.  :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.