Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 380526 times)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2655 on: July 23, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
New Twin Peaks in an hour...

...and hopefully I'll be off moderated status to chat it up with you Tony.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2656 on: July 26, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Now that I can freely post again, wanna chat about Double Points, Tony?  :)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2657 on: July 26, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
Now that I can freely post again, wanna chat about Double Points, Tony?  :)

Let's see, where to begin...

The vacant lot/portal to the other side scene was fantastic, cheesy, Sy Fy Channel grade vortex effects and all.  So was the desert rendezvous with the Mitchum brothers, and the lead-up to it, involving Mike beckoning Coop into the bakery.

The sudden outbreak of weirdness in downtown Twin Peaks, culminating in that standoffish kid and the puking girl was magnificent and pure, uncut Lynch.  So was the camera panning around the apartment complex as Bobby and Shelly's daughter hunted for her cheating husband (who was cheating, by the way, with Donna Hayward's younger sister, played by the same actress!).  It was also cool to see that that girl that Richard Horne's grandson beat down lived.  I can't wait for that creep to get his.

The high point for me, of course, was Hawk's map and all of its symbology, including the garmonbozia, the fire, the blackfire, and that thing "we don't want to know about" on Dopple Coop's ace of spades.  Oh, and every time Margaret shows up, I want to cry.  Those scenes are so poignant, like her, Lynch, and Horse all knew the clock was ticking as they filmed them.

And Coop remarked on damn good cherry pie while edging closer back to consciousness than ever!  Talk about fan service!

Your turn! :)
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2658 on: July 26, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »
LAST CHANCE U: Season 2

Just as good as season 1. Amazing stuff. Now streaming on Netflix.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:10:32 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2659 on: July 27, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
Game of Thrones

Tbh, considering how few episodes they have left, I'm curious/worried at how they're going to wrap up both the Iron Throne and White Walker storylines.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2660 on: July 27, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
LAST CHANCE U: Season 2

Just as good as season 1. Amazing stuff. Now streaming on Netflix.

Selam

I only just heard about it with the launch of Season 2. Based on the audio clips I heard on the Fresh Air review, it sounds like they really captured the over-the-top drama that goes along with Southern junior college football.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2661 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
While I'm waiting for my buddy nothing to get back to me about the best show on TV, I will note that I've been trying to give Snowfall a chance on the strength of the great job FX has done with the Fargo franchise.  It's really disappointing though.  It is super predictable and self-indulgent.  It's supposed to be about how crack hit LA in the 1980s.  There are three main overlapping plotlines: a white CIA agent who is working with the Contras to bring coke into the USA and smuggle arms out, a black teenager just getting turned on to the big money possibilities of powder cocaine, which he gets from a stereotypical Israeli gangster straight out of Don't Mess with the Zohan, and a trio of Mexican criminals - one of whom is a luchador; seriously - who are also dealing in powder and scheming to advance in their organization.

Like I said, I am doing my best to like it, but it is spotty at best.  Some of the acting is decent, but much of it is downright hammy.  Plus, you see every would-be "twist" in the plot coming a mile off.  I feel like Nostradamus watching this show, because I call everything before it happens.  Perhaps I'm just too used to stuff you really have to puzzle over to get a handle on, like Twin Peaks.  On top of all that, the white CIA dude is somehow a 21st century hipster incongruously inserted into the 1980s.  I guess FX did that so their usual audience (white males 18-34) would have someone to hone in on and relate to in a sea of black and brown faces.  Because, you know, they can't possibly relate to any of the characters of color under any circumstances no matter how they're written, right?  ::)

Worst of all, in the most recent episode, they completely jumped over what should have been a pivotal scene in the story - a scene that changed the entire dynamic between some of the most important characters - and decided to handle the whole thing by expository dialogue later.  It was so egregious that it made me wonder if something went wrong with the scene and it wasn't possible to re-shoot.  It didn't come off like an artistic decision, it came off like something went wrong.  There was no way not to shoot that scene and have the plot move smoothly and maintain its integrity.  As it stands, it leaves a gaping hole in what is already shaping up to be a so-so series.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:39:53 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2662 on: July 31, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
On top of all that, the white CIA dude is somehow a 21st century hipster incongruously inserted into the 1980s.  I guess FX did that so their usual audience (white males 18-34) would have someone to hone in on and relate to in a sea of black and brown faces.  Because, you know, they can't possibly relate to any of the characters of color under any circumstances no matter how they're written, right?  ::)
Seems to be the consensus
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2663 on: August 01, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
Sorry Tony I am so busy this week to give you a proper reply. Maybe next Sunday afternoon.

Lets Rock!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2664 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
I resent that you have Showtime and I don't.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2665 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I resent that you have Showtime and I don't.

You want my login info?  ;D

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2666 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
I'm serious too. I can PM you my login info and you can stream the episodes on their site. I dont know if they have a TV app or whatever. I watch the episodes live on Sunday.

I have HBO too, so I can give you access if you want.

Hey from one Twin Peaks fan to another. Besides Tony needs more people to talk to about the show.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:40:45 AM by nothing »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2667 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
That's alright, I won't have time for it for a while anyway.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2668 on: August 01, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Tony,

******SPOILER*****

S3:E12 pic
http://i.imgur.com/vh94AV5.jpg

8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:10:20 AM by nothing »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2669 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
Lets Rock!

How hype were you when Diane said that?  ;D

That's alright, I won't have time for it for a while anyway.

Wait, you're not watching Twin Peaks?!?  I've gotta go lie down for awhile.  :'(

Tony,

******SPOILER*****

S3:E12 pic
http://i.imgur.com/vh94AV5.jpg

8)

It's all coming together, and now we know the where and when, sa if it could've been anywhere else!  ;D

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2670 on: August 01, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Top of the Lake: China Girl
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2671 on: August 02, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Down to the last episode of Dirk Gently.

I had my doubts, as Douglas Adams screen adaptations have ranged from gloriously bad (the 80s TV Hitchhiker's Guide) to just bad (the early oughts Hitchhiker's Guide), but I've liked it. I think part of what makes it work is that aside from one wink at the source material (Dirk makes a passing mention of an incident involving Thor), it's an original story that keeps some of the quirkiness of Adams' work without being a slave to fanboi.

On the flipside, I think the story in and of itself didn't have to be Dirk Gently since the only connection to the novels seems to be the title character and his holistic detective work. Cashing in on established branding, I guess.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2672 on: August 02, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
I loved 80's Hitchhiker... it was like a comedic Doctor Who with the same dubious special effects.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2673 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
I loved 80's Hitchhiker... it was like a comedic Doctor Who with the same dubious special effects.

Yes. There are a few instances in it when it feels like they just re-appropriated an old Who set.

But then again, Life, the Universe and Everything was originally an unproduced Dr. Who treatment.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2674 on: August 02, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »

One of the things I fought to stay up late to watch.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2675 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a go fund me or whatever to get Iconodule Showtime.  The fact that he's not watching Peaks right now is downright criminal.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2676 on: August 02, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a go fund me or whatever to get Iconodule Showtime.  The fact that he's not watching Peaks right now is downright criminal.
Lol thats why I offered my login access.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2677 on: August 03, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
So I've been watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and to my delight I've notice Vernors, the only true Ginger ale is everywhere:

It seems common enough in Indiana, I always see it in South Bend when going to a Fighting Irish game and along the tolls to Ohio,  but this stuff is hard to find in Chicago.  Every time my Aunt from NYC visits home, she brings back crates of this stuff with her back to new york.  Everytime I go home, I make sure to buy a 12 pack to take back with me because of its rareness in Chicago.

We have a drink we call a "Brown Cow" and it has to be Vernors ginger ale with Vanilla Ice cream. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:50:36 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2678 on: August 04, 2017, 07:15:39 AM »
So I've been watching Parks and Rec for the first time, and to my delight I've notice Vernors, the only true Ginger ale is everywhere:

It seems common enough in Indiana, I always see it in South Bend when going to a Fighting Irish game and along the tolls to Ohio,  but this stuff is hard to find in Chicago.  Every time my Aunt from NYC visits home, she brings back crates of this stuff with her back to new york.  Everytime I go home, I make sure to buy a 12 pack to take back with me because of its rareness in Chicago.

We have a drink we call a "Brown Cow" and it has to be Vernors ginger ale with Vanilla Ice cream.

Vernor's is delicious.  I like it with blended Scotch or Canadian whisky.  It's getting easier to find in the South.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2679 on: August 04, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »

Vernor's is delicious.  I like it with blended Scotch or Canadian whisky.  It's getting easier to find in the South.

The south is where Ohioans go to die,  that's why.  We take our love for the buckeyes or ND and vernors with us everywhere we go.    I love J&B and vernors.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:57:46 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2680 on: August 04, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
I found The Stand DVD for a fiver at the supermarket, and now I can't wait to get the young one out of the way so I can watch without traumatising him.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:44:30 PM by Arachne »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2681 on: August 06, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
A few things didn't make sense to me in the GoT episode tonight, but nonetheless that was one of the best of the series so far.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2682 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
So Tony, I had no idea Showtime moved TP to an earlier timeslot (8PM EST) so I missed the newest episode. There's a re-run tonight at 7pm which I'll catch.

Looks like the schedule for the remaining episodes has changed to 8PM.

I was getting these notifications on my phone about the episode, and I'm like how are people watching it before 9PM and well... ;D

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2683 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
A few things didn't make sense to me in the GoT episode tonight, but nonetheless that was one of the best of the series so far.
I'm still not on the GoT train yet, haven't even watched one episode. I'm missing out huh? I wanted to watch Westworld next but I dunno.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2684 on: August 07, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
So Tony, I had no idea Showtime moved TP to an earlier timeslot (8PM EST) so I missed the newest episode. There's a re-run tonight at 7pm which I'll catch.

Looks like the schedule for the remaining episodes has changed to 8PM.

I was getting these notifications on my phone about the episode, and I'm like how are people watching it before 9PM and well... ;D

They probably want to avoid direct competition with the juggernaut that is Game of Thrones.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2685 on: August 07, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »
Right but they should have done that from the beginning. Oh well.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2686 on: August 07, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »
1. Aren't you recording it?

2. Isn't it on demand with your streaming service?

I would think that with today's tech, you could've just watched it when you tuned in at nine.  Oh well.  Let me know when you catch up.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2687 on: August 07, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »

I would think that with today's tech, you could've just watched it when you tuned in at nine.  Oh well.  Let me know when you catch up.

Nah I watch them live. I didn't know it was already on demand, I'll check when I get home.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2688 on: August 07, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »

Nah I watch them live. I didn't know it was already on demand, I'll check when I get home.

It is.  At least on the East Coast.  Enjoy!  :)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2689 on: August 07, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Tony,

Ed  :'(

And LOL that arm wresetling sequence was great.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2690 on: August 07, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
Tony,

Ed  :'(

I know.  :'(

And LOL that arm wresetling sequence was great.

Starting positions.  ;D

And the way Richard Horne looked at Dopple Coop.  Daddy?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:29:21 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2691 on: August 07, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
I'm still not on the GoT train yet, haven't even watched one episode. I'm missing out huh? I wanted to watch Westworld next but I dunno.
If it wasn't for GoT, I probably wouldn't even need a TV. I don't even watch it on its normal nights. I wait until the entire season is done and then binge watch it because I can't handle having to wait for each episode to come out.
God bless!

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #2692 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Comrade Detective

Available on Amazon Prime

Watched the first 2 episodes and it is hilarious. It is a deadpan spoof with the premise that is that "found footage" of a 1980's Romanian communist crime drama propaganda TV show.  Filmed in Romanian and dubbed into English which only adds to the hilarity.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2693 on: August 08, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
But what about Billy Zane?! ;)

Hey was that boxing loop Sarah was watching, Bushnell Mullins?

BTW how great is Kyle MacLachlan in this thing? Man from goofball Dougie to evil badass Mr. C, he's nailed it.

James was always cool...

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2694 on: August 08, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
But what about Billy Zane?! ;)

Possibly.  Who says he's even Audrey's?  By the end of season 2, Donna discovered she was a Horne, didn't she?

Hey was that boxing loop Sarah was watching, Bushnell Mullins?

I don't think so, but maybe.  I think it was meant to show how her life was on a continuous loop, constantly reliving the horrible violence that shattered her family, her psyche, and her life.

BTW how great is Kyle MacLachlan in this thing? Man from goofball Dougie to evil badass Mr. C, he's nailed it.

+1

Absolutely.  Times ten.

James was always cool...

I'm starting to read some of the fan sites now because of you, from time to time anyway, and a lot of them seem to hate the James character and claim they hated him in the original run.  If that's so, I love how Lynch is cramming the idea that - as Shelly said - he's always been cool down their miserable throats.  It's Lynch's world.  He likes his retro 50s soul motorcycle James Dean character.  If you don't agree that he's cool, go pound sand.  I love it.  8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:52:36 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2695 on: August 08, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
BTW how great is Kyle MacLachlan in this thing?

He made what would have been a bad Inhumans plot line good in the season he did on S.H.I.E.L.D.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2696 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

I don't know about missing out... I mean, if you're the type who doesn't need to see it right as it airs, and are going to watch it at some point anyway. I will say that it's the only show that I feel the need to watch 'live' (more or less) right now, what with all the chatter and aftermath that you run into concerning it. Reading people react to it, seeing reviews and vids breaking it down... sort of adds to it all somehow.

Comrade Detective

Thanks for the heads up! Watched the first episode and am looking forward to the rest :)

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #2697 on: August 08, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Twin Peaks: The Return
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2698 on: August 09, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
Bits of Preacher.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2699 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
Twin Peaks: The Return

Let's go back to starting positions.