Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 364215 times)

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Robert McGee Scalped
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2610 on: June 17, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »
When I get too tired from work, watching other dysfunctional families in the  Final Season of Bloodline
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14.12

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • On hiatus...too busy reading.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2611 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
The new Twin Peaks is simultaneously hot garbage and the best televsion.

I. Cant. Stop. Watching.

Call for help.

Please give an emmy to the peanut sweeper at the bar. Best waste of 3 minutes ever.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:52:09 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2612 on: June 23, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
Norm Macdonald special on Netflix.  It's not his best, but it's good enough.  He is one of my all time favorites, and it's good to see him with a new comedy special.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2613 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Live coverage of Glastonbury Festival. Radiohead just wrapped their show, and awesome they were too. Let's see how many encores they'll be called back for.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2614 on: June 24, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »
Glastonbury, day 2. The Foo Fighters are way too much fun. After having to cancel their appearance at the last moment two years ago, 'back with a vengeance' doesn't even begin to describe it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:55:04 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2615 on: June 24, 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
Norm Macdonald special on Netflix.  It's not his best, but it's good enough.  He is one of my all time favorites, and it's good to see him with a new comedy special.

My favorite comedian. Genius.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2616 on: June 25, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »
The new Twin Peaks is simultaneously hot garbage and the best televsion.

I. Cant. Stop. Watching.

Call for help.

Please give an emmy to the peanut sweeper at the bar. Best waste of 3 minutes ever.

+1

Has anyone seen Bing?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2617 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
Grantchester and Luther.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2618 on: June 26, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »
Well AN, I'm glad Kubrick decided to return to directing...and uh throw in some "Tree of Life" Malick, a bit of Penderecki and of course Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter".

The origins of BOB and the Black Lodge spirits now makes so much more sense and I am detecting a bit of a quasi-political/ethical statement from Lynch/Frost.

Best episode of the series so far. A tour de force. How Showtime even allowed this much creative freedom is mind boggling.

I liked how in episode 7 it seemed like a normal Twin Peaks episode and it was going to continue course...but lol nope.

So Laura and Bob for one final battle?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:14:21 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2619 on: June 27, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »
Who needs Showtime TV when there's OC.Net?   :angel:
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2620 on: June 28, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Well AN, I'm glad Kubrick decided to return to directing...and uh throw in some "Tree of Life" Malick, a bit of Penderecki and of course Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter".

LOL!  I see where you're coming from to a degree as it pertains to 2001 and the atomic blast montage and Night of the Hunter (never seen Tree of Life), but to be honest, my first callback wasn't to that stuff, but to Lynch's own earlier work.  You know, the kind of weird experimental short films I've only been blessed to see thanks to YouTube.  Oh, and of course Eraserhead.  The White Lodge - if indeed that's what it is - the abode of the good spirits anyway (The Giant and the 1930s Lady) - was throwing off a lot of "behind the radiator" vibes.

The origins of BOB and the Black Lodge spirits now makes so much more sense and I am detecting a bit of a quasi-political/ethical statement from Lynch/Frost.

I don't know if it's a political statement so much as it's a statement on technology and energy, and I don't know that I would call it an origin story for anyone other than Bob and Laura.  The atomic blast didn't form Bob, right?  It just provided a conduit for his mother to spew him into this world.  These spirits always seem to travel via -and be connected to - raw, crackling energy.  They were always there.  As man's technology and his use of energy increased though, so did their activity and the frequency of our interactions with them.

I don't think the Woodsman and his ilk are Black Lodge spirits anyway.  I think they're thralls.  They're humans who have sold themselves to and been permanently enslaved by the Black Lodge spirits and are now forced to do their will eternally, like the Ring Wraiths in Tolkien's mythos.  They carry out menial tasks like running interference for Bob when he gets shot, hypnotizing the inhabitants of a small town via the radio so Bob can be born, etc.  They're just carrying out "the Mother's" will on this plane.  We saw them in the Convenience Store in FWWM, and the Log Lady's husband might be one in a way now.  So might Windom Earle for that matter.  It's no mystery why they're all dressed as lumberjacks, right?  They were poking around the actual site of the Lodge on this plane in the Pacific Northwest.

It was certainly cool seeing the prototypical Convenience Store though, right?

Best episode of the series so far. A tour de force. How Showtime even allowed this much creative freedom is mind boggling.

+1

Best episode so far without a doubt.  Episode 7 was great too.  I was feeling that pain while you were banned.  No one to talk to about it.  Like I said, my immediate circle in RL aren't exactly the type who'd watch TP for more than 5 minutes.  ;D

I liked how in episode 7 it seemed like a normal Twin Peaks episode and it was going to continue course...but lol nope.

Yeah, exactly!  How hype were you when Coop sprang back into action to take down Ike the Spike?  That glimmer of hope, man!  He's coming back!

So Laura and Bob for one final battle?

Natch!  How mind blowing was the revelation that she wasn't just some kid with the willpower to resist him, but is actually a pure (if for a time corrupted) spirit who was created as the anti-Bob?

Glad you're back, nothing.  :)

Who needs Showtime TV when there's OC.Net?   :angel:

+1

A number of the posters here - present company included - are definitely as surreal, quirky, and creepy as anything that ever sprang from the minds of Lynch and Frost!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:41:05 AM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2621 on: July 06, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
I pity the fine tradition of British television, these days. Moffatt is a bowel movement that won't flush.

Yeah. It's not just Moffatt, either- RTD was terrible when he helmed Doctor Who. Part of the problem, which I think Agabus touched upon, is that there is an obsession with creating drama around the characters themselves, to the point where any mystery is drained from them, along with any weight from the problems they face. With both Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, the eponymous characters, with their quirks, talents, etc are important but, in the best stories, not the center of the show. In both the new Sherlock and Doctor Who shows, there is very little authentic adventure. None of the worlds, mysteries, alien races, etc seem to have any inherent intrigue. Gimmicks and gags rule the day, with the personalities of the heroes seemingly the center of the universe. The shows feel like very closed worlds, like being stuck inside a flashy but shallow simulation that only allows minor variations of the same scenario with the same characters.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:51:23 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2622 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Since I don't have Showtime, the wife and I have been watching classic Twin Peaks for the first time in a few years.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2623 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:55 AM »
Since I don't have Showtime, the wife and I have been watching classic Twin Peaks for the first time in a few years.

+1

Except I have Showtime.  I'm going to be watching the Missing Pieces from FWWM soon.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2624 on: July 06, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
I pity the fine tradition of British television, these days. Moffatt is a bowel movement that won't flush.

Yeah. It's not just Moffatt, either- RTD was terrible when he helmed Doctor Who. Part of the problem, which I think Agabus touched upon, is that there is an obsession with creating drama around the characters themselves, to the point where any mystery is drained from them, along with any weight from the problems they face. With both Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, the eponymous characters, with their quirks, talents, etc are important but, in the best stories, not the center of the show. In both the new Sherlock and Doctor Who shows, there is very little authentic adventure. None of the worlds, mysteries, alien races, etc seem to have any inherent intrigue. Gimmicks and gags rule the day, with the personalities of the heroes seemingly the center of the universe. The shows feel like very closed worlds, like being stuck inside a flashy but shallow simulation that only allows minor variations of the same scenario with the same characters.

Yeah like fan fiction -- make the story an improbable tale idolizing a particular character.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2625 on: July 06, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
Not what I'm watching, but what I'd watch if someone made it:

A documentary about the life of a vagante with a title like Mor David, Patriarch of Chattanooga.

It could open on him saying Matins in his home garage chapel, then show him slowly shuffling off to take off his Roman mitre and Syriac robes before eating a breakfast of frosted Wheaties over the sink and heading to work at the gas station, where he sells cigarettes, malt liquor and overcooked hot dogs for most of the day.

Maybe at some point one of his three parishioners could stop by, and he'd bless them by reaching through a display of lottery tickets to wave his hand over theirs.

It can end with him slumped in a recliner in front of the TV before turning it off, dropping the remote on the floor and heading back to the chapel, where he re-vests and serves a version of Byzantine vespers corrected to the form of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Mar Thoma Church of America and All Tennessee, Inc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:59:10 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2626 on: July 06, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »

A documentary about the life of a vagante with a title like Mor David, Patriarch of Chattanooga.

It could open on him saying Matins in his home garage chapel, then show him slowly shuffling off to take off his Roman mitre and Syriac robes before eating a breakfast of frosted Wheaties over the sink and heading to work at the gas station, where he sells cigarettes, malt liquor and overcooked hot dogs for most of the day.

Maybe at some point one of his three parishioners could stop by, and he'd bless them by reaching through a display of lottery tickets to wave his hand over theirs.

It can end with him slumped in a recliner in front of the TV before turning it off, dropping the remote on the floor and heading back to the chapel, where he re-vests and serves a version of Byzantine vespers corrected to the form of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Mar Thoma Church of America and All Tennessee, Inc.

:laugh:
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2627 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »

Sounds like the Pope Michael documentary.  Have you seen it?  If not, today is your lucky day.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2628 on: July 06, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »

Sounds like the Pope Michael documentary.  Have you seen it?  If not, today is your lucky day.

Father Deacon, bless!
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2629 on: July 06, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »

Father Deacon, bless!

"Through the prayers of our holy fathers..."

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2630 on: July 06, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »

I assure you, Agabus, I never wear any of the vestments in my extensive home collection, least of all when working at the Get-In-Get-Out.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2631 on: July 06, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
My television tastes have become a bit more conservative as of late. I have started watching Murdock Mysteries (Hulu), and the old Father Brown (Netflix).

I was watching Jeeves and Wooster, but Hulu stopped streaming it. I started watching the series after purusing our eldest daughter's 9th grade reading list that included several Jeeves and Wooster books.

I follow Turn, Poldark, Bull, and my guilty pleasure is When Calls the Heart on cable.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2632 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
My television tastes have become a bit more conservative as of late. I have started watching Murdock Mysteries (Hulu), and the old Father Brown (Netflix).

I was watching Jeeves and Wooster, but Hulu stopped streaming it. I started watching the series after purusing our eldest daughter's 9th grade reading list that included several Jeeves and Wooster books.

I follow Turn, Poldark, Bull, and my guilty pleasure is When Calls the Heart on cable.

The Jeeves and Wooster series are available on youtube
The loreal9110 channel has all but the first episode of Season 1:
https://www.youtube.com/user/loreal9110/playlists
The first episode of Season 1 is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmNeRhWBfzhjlQm26QhgHHA/videos
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2633 on: July 07, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2634 on: July 07, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Ronja: The Robber's Daughter with my children. It's a story from Astrid Lindgren animated by Studio Ghibli. It's wonderful in every way.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2635 on: July 07, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »

How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ThveQSncQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyhJt5zfcvk
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2636 on: July 07, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

How about this guy?

He's got bewitching bedroom eyes. 

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2637 on: July 07, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »

How about this guy?

Glory, glory, glory!

Truly the Spirit is with him! More than 2,100 views in four years! And five likes!

EDIT: I also like the mishmash of adding Hebrew into the mix.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:44:43 PM by Agabus »

Online Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2638 on: July 07, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »

Mine too!  But I only have Netflix, so I'm sure I'm behind.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2639 on: July 07, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »

How about this guy?

He's got bewitching bedroom eyes.

How about this guy?

Glory, glory, glory!

Truly the Spirit is with him! More than 2,100 views in four years! And five likes!

EDIT: I also like the mishmash of adding Hebrew into the mix.

And he's sensible enough to disable comments on his video audiences!
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #2640 on: July 07, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »

Its on cable, and I have my DVR set to record it. I recall thinking the book series was absolutely insipid, but I've actually really enjoyed the television series. I am softening in my old age; I used to love watching MMA and ultimate fighter! If you lived closer, I'd invite you over to watch the new episodes with me. :)

Online Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2641 on: July 08, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

Its on cable, and I have my DVR set to record it. I recall thinking the book series was absolutely insipid, but I've actually really enjoyed the television series. I am softening in my old age; I used to love watching MMA and ultimate fighter! If you lived closer, I'd invite you over to watch the new episodes with me. :)

I didn't even know there were books.  Bad writing style maybe?  Now I'm actually curious; I might peruse a few pages (which is about all the farther I get into any book these days).
Me too.   ;D  MMA seems constructive at least; more so than most of what I watched in my younger years.
And just the thought is much appreciated.  :) 

I haven't been Netflixing as much recently, but my husband is curating Preacher for me here and there.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2642 on: July 08, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
So I'm convinced I will be hauling all of my Seinfeld DVDs to my deathbed and watching them til I drop, like Shaq in Curb.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:41:04 PM by nothing »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2643 on: July 10, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »

Online Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2644 on: July 12, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
Now I have to make myself a liar; we watched Castlevania last night and I enjoyed most of it.    :police:

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2645 on: July 12, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
I enjoyed the Castlevania series too, though I often thought how much easier it would be to make it a lot better with a little effort. Also the anti-Christian angle is rather tiresome and sophomoric. This is Assassin's Creed level stuff here. It's also rather inaccurate as the Catholic Church was never as big a force in Wallachia as the Orthodox Church. I never understand it when writers are given a fascinating subject and don't bother doing even a perfunctory amount of homework.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2646 on: July 12, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
Burn Notuce.
Season 3 and probably not make all seven.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2647 on: July 12, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
Burn Notuce.
Season 3 and probably not make all seven.

The first few seasons can start to blend together with the heavy reliance on client-of-the-week stories, but later seasons do add some variety. If you're still on the fence you might want to try Season 7, which imo is the best one of the series, despite being the darkest and most serious.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2648 on: July 12, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2649 on: July 12, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »
I enjoyed the Castlevania series too, though I often thought how much easier it would be to make it a lot better with a little effort. Also the anti-Christian angle is rather tiresome and sophomoric. This is Assassin's Creed level stuff here. It's also rather inaccurate as the Catholic Church was never as big a force in Wallachia as the Orthodox Church. I never understand it when writers are given a fascinating subject and don't bother doing even a perfunctory amount of homework.

If I'd known those facts, I probably would have felt the same way.  But I almost failed geography in school.   :)  But if that's the case, then in a way, I'm glad it wasn't historically accurate, though I feel bad for the RC always getting that role in various fictions.  The "Church-as-bad-guy" aspect in general did bother me some (didn't used to; I used to agree, sadly).  My other half pointed out, though, that it seemed more focused on the one bishop and his henchmen, as there were other priests who seemed to be sincere priests.  I think a case could be made either way.  Although I don't have anything to compare it to; maybe the games were more heavy-handed that way?  I could find out, but I probably won't.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2650 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »

I saw that on my Netflix.   I was curious to see if it was about the video game  I played as a kid (it was).    It was written by a famous comic writer named Warren Ellis.  That may explain it's quality.   I haven't seen it.

Speaking of childhood   games that are inexplicably being turned into movies.   The Rock is filming in Chicago now., causing all kinds of bad traffic.   Rumour has it the movie is rampage,  the old arcade game.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2651 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »

If I'd known those facts, I probably would have felt the same way.  But I almost failed geography in school.   :)  But if that's the case, then in a way, I'm glad it wasn't historically accurate, though I feel bad for the RC always getting that role in various fictions.  The "Church-as-bad-guy" aspect in general did bother me some (didn't used to; I used to agree, sadly).  My other half pointed out, though, that it seemed more focused on the one bishop and his henchmen, as there were other priests who seemed to be sincere priests.  I think a case could be made either way.  Although I don't have anything to compare it to; maybe the games were more heavy-handed that way?  I could find out, but I probably won't.

I don't want to seem too hung up on historical accuracy- it's a fantasy series based on some Japanese video game designers' imagined 15th century Wallachia- but there's artistic license and then there's laziness. I only played a few of the games but I don't remember there being much religious discourse either way, apart from the basic idea that the Belmonts were serving the Church.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2652 on: July 12, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

I don't want to seem too hung up on historical accuracy- it's a fantasy series based on some Japanese video game designers' imagined 15th century Wallachia- but there's artistic license and then there's laziness. I only played a few of the games but I don't remember there being much religious discourse either way, apart from the basic idea that the Belmonts were serving the Church.

Can't forget this scene from Symphony of the Night:

https://youtu.be/ZlnskSFijXQ

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2653 on: July 13, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »
Ha I forgot about the terrible voice acting of SOTN. Amazing game nonetheless.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2654 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
Based on who I have seen praise it so far, I'd really like the opportunity to see the Sean Bean-led Broken.