Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 380524 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2565 on: May 20, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
Molly Ringwald is a great fan of the Smiths but Chuck Barris died in Palisades, NY.  Hibbitygibbitygoo.  There.  Now we've both typed nonsensical non sequiturs.
At least you have a sense of humor. That's more than can be said for some people around here. :D
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2566 on: May 21, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Um wow that was an amazing Twin Peaks premiere.

It's full on Lynch which is everything I want and I know diehard fans of the show are gonna be mad as hell it is nothing like the original.

It's more Eraserhead meets Blue Velvet meets Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive and a little of Twin Peaks.

*SPOILER*

That scene of the weird shadow-esque alien shredding the faces off those two characters was awesome, beautifully shot too. I love how Lynch builds up the suspense.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:03:56 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2567 on: May 22, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Cant get the first two episodes out of my head. Gonna re-watch tonight.

Those NYC scenes are everything I love about Lynch.

Spectacular.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2568 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Honestly after watching episodes 3+4 now, the gushing nerd love in me thinks collectively these 4 hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen. I'm feeling just as rapt and giddy like when I first watched Mulholland Dr. It's unreal how good this is. He has pulled all the various strands from the best parts of his previous work to make this miraculous thing, I'm floored.

And there are 14 more episodes. There has been so much imagery from these episodes that are lingering with me that very few other pieces of tv/movies can do. I love love that he can tap into this vast unknown abyss and make such dark things palpable, I can get lost in the worlds he creates.

Seriously just give me all the episodes now, I don't know if I can wait til the end of September to finish this series. I guess more time to re-watch, these episodes are dense.

The care that has gone into this thing makes me think this is going to be Lynch's final project. Then he'll spend the rest of his days endlessly chainsmoking and painting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:26:38 PM by nothing »

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2569 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Molly Ringwald is a great fan of the Smiths but Chuck Barris died in Palisades, NY.  Hibbitygibbitygoo.  There.  Now we've both typed nonsensical non sequiturs.
At least you have a sense of humor. That's more than can be said for some people around here. :D

And yet some on here have never regarded me as lighthearted.  Go fig.  ::)

Um wow that was an amazing Twin Peaks premiere.

Agreed.  It was a triumph.

It's full on Lynch which is everything I want and I know diehard fans of the show are gonna be mad as hell it is nothing like the original.

There are some indications that there may be more lighthearted Frostian elements as the series progresses  I don't think this would necessarily be a bad thing (Wally Brando aside), but I am glad that Lynch and Frost are letting this run be its own entity instead of trying to make it a nostalgia fest.  That way lies only the farcical reunion, neither dark nor edgy, that Arachne anticipated.  The premiere had dark and edgy in spades, and not in a contrived or forced way either.  Just Lynch being Lynch.

It's more Eraserhead meets Blue Velvet meets Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive and a little of Twin Peaks.

Kinda sorta.  The sycamore/meatbag evolution of the arm was right out of Eraserhead.

*SPOILER*

That scene of the weird shadow-esque alien shredding the faces off those two characters was awesome, beautifully shot too. I love how Lynch builds up the suspense.

"You'd better hurry!  My mother's coming!"

Cant get the first two episodes out of my head. Gonna re-watch tonight.

Those NYC scenes are everything I love about Lynch.

Spectacular.

+1

You'd think that by now there'd be no new ways to shoot the Manhattan skyline, but that establishing shot was pure genius and said everything Lynch wanted to say about the place as a backdrop to that particular piece of the drama.

Honestly after watching episodes 3+4 now, the gushing nerd love in me thinks collectively these 4 hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen. I'm feeling just as rapt and giddy like when I first watched Mulholland Dr. It's unreal how good this is. He has pulled all the various strands from the best parts of his previous work to make this miraculous thing, I'm floored.

Agreed.  There are so many moments to gush over.  Ms. Devastated Sarah Palmer unable to take her eyes off a pride of lions devouring a cape buffalo, that black thing two cells down from Bill Hastings, Matthew Lillard's performance as Hastings, Doppleganger Cooper's relentless evil diffused over two and a half decades of freedom contrasting with how Bob used to operate when he could only indulge his vices sporadically back in Leland's day, the fact that Robert Forster isn't the Sheriff Truman, and oh my gosh, the poignant final performance of Catherine Coulson as the Log Lady.  Even the Chromatics song was evocative but not derivative of Julee Cruise.

And there are 14 more episodes. There has been so much imagery from these episodes that are lingering with me that very few other pieces of tv/movies can do. I love love that he can tap into this vast unknown abyss and make such dark things palpable, I can get lost in the worlds he creates.

Seriously just give me all the episodes now, I don't know if I can wait til the end of September to finish this series. I guess more time to re-watch, these episodes are dense.

They truly give you a lot to think about.  I loved Bob/Cooper's line to Hasting's wife: "You did good. You followed human nature perfectly."  It's the perfect echo of Bob's dismissal and abuse of Earle, demonstrating the contempt the devils have for those who idolize/cooperate with them, and it made the point without being ham-fisted or preachy about it.

The care that has gone into this thing makes me think this is going to be Lynch's final project. Then he'll spend the rest of his days endlessly chainsmoking and painting.

And to think he just came off a decade long hiatus without a fleck of rust.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2570 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
I saw an exhibition of Lynch's paintings in Allentown once. All I remember is a lot of vomiting faces.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2571 on: May 24, 2017, 01:53:08 AM »
My 3 favorite David Lynch films:

The Elephant Man

Blue Velvet

The Straight Story

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2572 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:01 PM »
Dave Chappelle on Netflix

• Merarches
« Reply #2573 on: May 25, 2017, 01:11:24 AM »
My 3 favorite David Lynch films:

The Elephant Man

Blue Velvet

The Straight Story

Selam

The Straight Story is more confirmation of Lynch's genius. A director who is known for making such deeply disturbing, weird, twisted films turns around and makes this beautifully simple movie that's rated G. With this movie he proved that he's not a "gimmick" director. He has the chops to do anything and do it well.

Nothing, have you seen this one?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2574 on: May 25, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
Straight Story is superb, love that movie.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2575 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
There are some indications that there may be more lighthearted Frostian elements as the series progresses  I don't think this would necessarily be a bad thing (Wally Brando aside), but I am glad that Lynch and Frost are letting this run be its own entity instead of trying to make it a nostalgia fest.  That way lies only the farcical reunion, neither dark nor edgy, that Arachne anticipated.  The premiere had dark and edgy in spades, and not in a contrived or forced way either.  Just Lynch being Lynch.

To be honest some of the old cast returning is a bit jarring as they readjust to their characters, like Lucy and Andy are obviously not played by career actors which I'm forced to wince at certain moments.

Still seeing how awful Bobby's fake tears seeing Laura's picture again is pure fan service, so I'm not against their inclusion but some of the newer characters are more intriguing to me.

How awesome is it that Lynch trolled the hell out of Michael J Anderson by replacing him with a giant electric tree with a bubblegum wad head. MJ Anderson has been talking all sorts of crap about Lynch on his personal Facebook for years so it was fantastic seeing him getting so thoroughly dunked on, even some of the dialogue jabs at him "NON-EXIS-TENT!"

Also give Michael Cera an Emmy, ALL OF THEM. And Kyle MaClachlan has knocked it out of the park so far.

Naomi Watts is amazing as always, funny she is playing another character who has to take care of someone who has amnesia. Soooo clever lol.

I was mesmerized whenever Tracey was on screen and she's not even the hottest chick in the show so far (that would be Darya). I think what made that face shredder scene even more horrifying was how she had this aura of innocence around her and she was a sweetheart with those two lattes!

But hey she and Sam made a pretty good looking photo for the FBI after their deaths LOL.

$100000000000000 Audrey owns that glass box thing and tried to use it in order to bring back Cooper from the Black Lodge!

Kinda sorta.  The sycamore/meatbag evolution of the arm was right out of Eraserhead.

The one movie I left out, cause I didn't see Episode 3 at the time I posted that, is definitely Inland Empire. Ep3 first 15 minutes is literally an Inland Empire outtake.

Can't say I liked Inland Empire but that's not a firm opinion because I watched it on a pirated copy at low res on a tube TV. So it looked like garbage and you know when Laura Dern made that Francis Bacon face in the end, it was so goofy I laughed.

And that's the thing I don't understand the criticisms of the SFX in this show. Like it's clear to me the "lower quality" effects are intentional but they have never bothered me once, I really dig that style.

Maybe Lynch spent his entire SFX budget on that huge purple ocean LOL. Can you imagine that Showtime negotionation when Lynch pulled the plug the first time:

Lynch: "Ok here's what we need to do, I need $4 million dollars to create a wide spanning ocean tinted purple."
Showtime Execs: "But David there is only 2 million in the budget for post-production special effects, I don't think this is going to work."
*Angelo Badalamenti slides a conceptual art piece of the purple ocean to the execs*
Angelo: "This is the girl."
Showtime Execs: "Wait...um...you really need 4 million dollars for this?"
Lynch: "It's either that or I walk away from this whole project."
Angelo: "This is the girl."
Showtime Execs: "I'm sorry David we can't do this"
*Lynch and Angelo leave while Lynch takes a golf club at one of the execs fancypants Porsche*

+1

You'd think that by now there'd be no new ways to shoot the Manhattan skyline, but that establishing shot was pure genius and said everything Lynch wanted to say about the place as a backdrop to that particular piece of the drama.

The skyline is gorgeous, but I mean just all the scenes leading up to them dying. Those long shots ARE TO DIE FOR. And the sound design with that droning ambient in the background.

Seriously I don't mind less Angelo so far because I think the droning works so well.

Agreed.  There are so many moments to gush over.  Ms. Devastated Sarah Palmer unable to take her eyes off a pride of lions devouring a cape buffalo, that black thing two cells down from Bill Hastings, Matthew Lillard's performance as Hastings, Doppleganger Cooper's relentless evil diffused over two and a half decades of freedom contrasting with how Bob used to operate when he could only indulge his vices sporadically back in Leland's day, the fact that Robert Forster isn't the Sheriff Truman, and oh my gosh, the poignant final performance of Catherine Coulson as the Log Lady.  Even the Chromatics song was evocative but not derivative of Julee Cruise.
This this this.

They truly give you a lot to think about.  I loved Bob/Cooper's line to Hasting's wife: "You did good. You followed human nature perfectly."  It's the perfect echo of Bob's dismissal and abuse of Earle, demonstrating the contempt the devils have for those who idolize/cooperate with them, and it made the point without being ham-fisted or preachy about it.
Yep exactly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:30:50 PM by nothing »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2576 on: May 25, 2017, 09:31:44 PM »
The People v. O.J. Simpson

**Minor Spoilers**

I was surprised they took such a firm position regarding O.J. being guilty... I figured they'd keep it in more of a grey area as to whether he did it or not.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2577 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
Back and forth between American Gods and The Handmaid's Tale. Looking forward to new Dark Matter next week.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2578 on: May 26, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
Home from work during my recovery. Enjoying 'Doctor Who' on BBC America.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
« Reply #2579 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
Gotham because who doesn't love Batman.  ;)
IC XC
NI KA

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #2580 on: May 26, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
Gotham because who doesn't love Batman.  ;)
Do you like Elementary, with Lucy Liu?

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2581 on: May 27, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »
1st Chappelle special - Good
2nd Chappelle special - Meh
Amy Schumer - Ughhhhh
Louis C.K. - Zzzz

Thanks Netflix, but I think I've had my fill of comedians for this decade...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:47:20 AM by Asteriktos »

• Merarches
« Reply #2582 on: May 27, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
1st Chappelle special - Good
2nd Chappelle special - Meh
Amy Schumer - Ughhhhh
Louis C.K. - Zzzz

Thanks Netflix, but I think I've had my fill of comedians for this decade...

Try to find Norm McDonald: "Me Doing Stand UP" . I'm not big on comedians, but I think Norm McDonald is a genius.

Selam
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:20:47 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #2583 on: May 27, 2017, 05:37:06 AM »
Are people here actually watching 2017 TV? If so, could you tell me how "Elementary" with Lucy Liu is faring?

I mentioned it earlier, but it seemed to me that Sherlock  took another "dark turn" in an Orthodox area. Like the area outside of the church that isn't the church. Something like that.

I want to know: why so many dark turns? Isn't murder enough?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2584 on: May 28, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
To be honest some of the old cast returning is a bit jarring as they readjust to their characters, like Lucy and Andy are obviously not played by career actors which I'm forced to wince at certain moments.

Still seeing how awful Bobby's fake tears seeing Laura's picture again is pure fan service, so I'm not against their inclusion but some of the newer characters are more intriguing to me.

Also give Michael Cera an Emmy, ALL OF THEM.

I'm still waiting for Lynch to coax/bribe Michael Ontkean out of retirement to play the Sheriff Truman in at least one scene of him withering away in a hospital or something.

And to each his own of course, but Lucy, Andy, and Bobby weren't half as wince worthy for me as Cera.  I'm hoping we don't see much more of him.

How awesome is it that Lynch trolled the hell out of Michael J Anderson by replacing him with a giant electric tree with a bubblegum wad head. MJ Anderson has been talking all sorts of crap about Lynch on his personal Facebook for years so it was fantastic seeing him getting so thoroughly dunked on, even some of the dialogue jabs at him "NON-EXIS-TENT!"

Are you sure you're getting the timeline straight?  You probably know better than me since I don't keep up with the behind the scenes drama too much, but I thought Anderson's bizarre tirade was a result of Lynch's not wanting to use him, not the other way around.

And Kyle MaClachlan has knocked it out of the park so far.

+1

Naomi Watts is amazing as always, funny she is playing another character who has to take care of someone who has amnesia. Soooo clever lol.

Yeah, she was good.

I was mesmerized whenever Tracey was on screen and she's not even the hottest chick in the show so far (that would be Darya). I think what made that face shredder scene even more horrifying was how she had this aura of innocence around her and she was a sweetheart with those two lattes!

She'll always be that little girl from The Nanny to me.

But hey she and Sam made a pretty good looking photo for the FBI after their deaths LOL.

lol

$100000000000000 Audrey owns that glass box thing and tried to use it in order to bring back Cooper from the Black Lodge!

Will she be deformed after the bank vault incident?  Will she and Coop finally get together?  What happened to Annie?  Questions abound.

The one movie I left out, cause I didn't see Episode 3 at the time I posted that, is definitely Inland Empire. Ep3 first 15 minutes is literally an Inland Empire outtake.

Can't say I liked Inland Empire but that's not a firm opinion because I watched it on a pirated copy at low res on a tube TV. So it looked like garbage and you know when Laura Dern made that Francis Bacon face in the end, it was so goofy I laughed.

And that's the thing I don't understand the criticisms of the SFX in this show. Like it's clear to me the "lower quality" effects are intentional but they have never bothered me once, I really dig that style.

I've been meaning to go back and watch that again myself.

Maybe Lynch spent his entire SFX budget on that huge purple ocean LOL. Can you imagine that Showtime negotionation when Lynch pulled the plug the first time...

I know you're kidding, but I doubt that was that expensive.

The skyline is gorgeous, but I mean just all the scenes leading up to them dying. Those long shots ARE TO DIE FOR. And the sound design with that droning ambient in the background.

Seriously I don't mind less Angelo so far because I think the droning works so well

Agreed. The whole sequence was masterfully done.

This this this.

I even liked those kids who sounded like the Everly Brothers.  I can't wait for the soundtrack to drop.

Yep exactly.

They're running 3 and 4 again tonight.  Who do you think the menacing force behind the casino is?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2585 on: May 30, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
I started binge re-watching Breaking Bad over the weekend. Then this morning I rewatched the big dramatic episode with Jesse and his girlfriend Jane. I was almost ready to say that Walt was more nuanced than I was giving him credit for (on this thread) a few years ago... but no. Nevermind. He is scum. He always was scum. Boo. Hiss.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2586 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
I've found the recent season of House of Cards inspiring. Most notably, the Doug Stamper character gives hope to bald, not-so-nice-looking, surly guys everywhere.

(let's leave aside that his character is one of the most powerful men in the country)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2587 on: June 02, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
I finally got my DVD player to work again, so I started watching "Midwinter of the Spirit." Yes. :)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2588 on: June 04, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Finally the wait for episode 5 is over...

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2589 on: June 04, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
Finally the wait for episode 5 is over...

Logging off now...

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2590 on: June 04, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
I started binge re-watching Breaking Bad over the weekend. Then this morning I rewatched the big dramatic episode with Jesse and his girlfriend Jane. I was almost ready to say that Walt was more nuanced than I was giving him credit for (on this thread) a few years ago... but no. Nevermind. He is scum. He always was scum. Boo. Hiss.

I don't know how you can rewatch that show man. There's not a lot of subtlety that would make me want to rewatch it.

Maybe when I have all the seasons erased from my memory I'll rewatch it...

I agree that Walt was scum from the very first episode. Maybe the show serves as a warning to how destructive nihilism can be, there's nothing admirable about Walt.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2591 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
So Antonious,

Do you feel that the scenes that recall the old TP vibe feel forced? And that there just seems to be too many characters and it's suffocating the episodes a bit? Even all the locations used?

There's still a lot of episodes left but after Ep5 it seems all of these puzzle pieces are starting to slowly come together(especially the Major Briggs stuff) but then we get a new piece that doesn't make sense to where to place like what's going on in Argentina and some of the new characters.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:39:17 PM by nothing »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2592 on: June 04, 2017, 10:59:15 PM »
Are people here actually watching 2017 TV? If so, could you tell me how "Elementary" with Lucy Liu is faring?
Haven't caught the current season since CBS isn't one of the broadcast channels we pick up and I don't want to pay for the CBS Roku app. I'll catch it when it hits Hulu in the summer.

Being network TV, sometimes Elementary's idea of exposition is characters telling each other things they already know or restating the obvious for the sake of slow audience members, but I've liked what I've seen of the previous seasons. The portrayals of addiction are somewhat problematic, but that's true of most tv depictions of addiction. At this point, the only real connection to the historical series that inspired it are the character's names and the premise that Johnny Miller really notices small details ... And that's a good thing.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2593 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
So Antonious,

Do you feel that the scenes that recall the old TP vibe feel forced?

No, I don't think so.  I see a few motifs repeating themselves.  Shelly's daughter's budding romance with a known loser is definitely a callback to her and Leo and that whole corruption of beautiful youth thing Lynch is so fond of, and the "catatonic Cooper really loves his coffee!" schtick is a bit heavy-handed, but overall, I think they're doing a good job of resisting the pitfall of overindulging in nostalgia for its own sake.  I think we're seeing the spirit of Frost begin to assert itself more and more in the script as time goes on, and that might be what some (not necessarily you) would identify as "the old Twin Peaks vibe" coming on a bit strong.  For my money though, we're good for the time being.

And that there just seems to be too many characters and it's suffocating the episodes a bit? Even all the locations used?

It's a lot to keep track of and the series is obviously far more grandiose than the original run.  I think that Lynch has a master plan for bringing it all together though.  Remember, he envisions this as "an 18 hour movie" to be binge-watched in a long weekend or something, and so all of those plot points might be easier to keep track of under those circumstances as opposed to viewing each episode a week or more after viewing its predecessors, and all of life's responsibilities and worries muddying the waters for you in the intervening days.  Give it time.

There's still a lot of episodes left but after Ep5 it seems all of these puzzle pieces are starting to slowly come together(especially the Major Briggs stuff) but then we get a new piece that doesn't make sense to where to place like what's going on in Argentina and some of the new characters.

It's making sense to me.  The Argentina stuff has to do with Phillip Jeffries.  Remember, he was stationed there and discovered a way to transport himself from there to locations in North America (and presumably elsewhere) by moving through the realm inhabited by Bob, the Man from Another Place, and company.  He became freakier and freakier as he spent more time in that place and around those beings.  He is now working with Doppleganger Cooper in some way, and was perhaps complicit in the murder of Major Briggs by the same and the arson used to cover it up.  Dougie Jones (a nothing created by Doppleganger Cooper/Bob to avoid being pulled back into the Black Lodge at the end of their 25 year run) was to take the fall for this too, apparently, based on the presence of his wedding ring in Briggs' gut.  I am not sure if Jeffries was the man on the other end of the communications device when Doppleganger Coop thought he was reaching out to him in the previous episode, but whoever that is, he obviously wants Bob to be 'with him", and that is why Doppleganger Coop was pleased to know that Bob was still "with him" in prison.  The call to Argentina reduced whatever that black device was to a golden pearl similar to that created when Dougie withered out of existence.  It'd be a lot to type here, but the threads are all there if you care to knit them together.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2594 on: June 05, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
Thats another thing thay baffles me, how is Briggs body errr not decomposed to where he should be nothing but a skeleton. He died 25 years ago.

Great post though, ill respond more when im ona computer.

Loved the sublte transformation of coop into BOB when hes looking at the mirror. That was better than superimposing bob on his face
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:27:42 PM by nothing »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2595 on: June 05, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Thats another thing thay baffles me, how is Briggs body errr not decomposed to where he should be nothing but a skeleton. He died 25 years ago.

Do we know definitively that he died 25 years ago though?  We know that he went to his listening station and a fire was started there in which he was supposedly killed.  The fire might've been started to cover up his abduction by Doppleganger Cooper and Jeffries or someone else, or it might've been started by Briggs himself to fake his own death and flee from them in order keep his wife and Bobby out of danger.  He could've wound up in the Black Lodge or somewhere similar himself for a period of time.  Remember, Cooper saw his face in the void whispering, "Blue rose!". 

Great post though, ill respond more when im ona computer.

Thanks.  You should read my Gravity Falls conjecture.  ;)

Loved the sublte transformation of coop into BOB when hes looking at the mirror. That was better than superimposing bob on his face

Agreed.

Hey, by the way, speaking of lots of characters to keep track of, did you notice that in the end credits that jerk smoking in the Bang Bang Bar was listed as "Richard Horne"?  Whose son is he?  Ben?  Jerry?  If it's Audrey, why does he have his mom's maiden name?  Is there a connection between him and Doppleganger Coop?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:10:49 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #2596 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
Can I just start calling you Tony? Kind of tired of typing out Anontious err I mean Antonous err wait Antonius no that's not right Antonoious, ah forget it.  ;D

So anyway, Tony, I have to say I greatly appreciate your Twin Peaks posts. I'm not a TP nerd and just watching to enjoy the ride, so sorry if I may not be the best interlocutor to discuss all of
these details. Maybe Iconodule can say something of substance.

That said, my recall to the events/characters/scenes/locations/etc. from the original show is pretty fuzzy and I never read Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks. A lot of fans are pointing out stuff in this new series that comes from Frost's book.

I love much of the fan feedback and speculation during the series because some of the questions I had were easily answered if I remembered a little bit of background.

I have to disagree with Lynch or whoever that said you don't need to watch the previous show/movie/whatever to get into this new series. Maybe he was trolling, but it's sort of incomprehensible without some prior knowledge to what lead up to the events now unfolding.

But anyway this show is a further continuation of Lynch's criticism of Americanism, especially the last episode the hollow, vapid middle class urban life. Even going back to Blue Velvet, Lynch has always been obsessed over exposing the "superficial" niceties of American life and the seediness that lies beneath.

No, I don't think so.  I see a few motifs repeating themselves.  Shelly's daughter's budding romance with a known loser is definitely a callback to her and Leo and that whole corruption of beautiful youth thing Lynch is so fond of, and the "catatonic Cooper really loves his coffee!" schtick is a bit heavy-handed, but overall, I think they're doing a good job of resisting the pitfall of overindulging in nostalgia for its own sake.  I think we're seeing the spirit of Frost begin to assert itself more and more in the script as time goes on, and that might be what some (not necessarily you) would identify as "the old Twin Peaks vibe" coming on a bit strong.  For my money though, we're good for the time being.

I have nothing against these repeat motifs (heck her daughter gave off those Laura Palmer vibes, especially that beautiful longshot of her looking up in the sky while Macaulay Caulkin drives. I was totally expecting a car crash, but of course in Lynchian fashion never gives you what you expect).

Sometimes it feels contrived, and when that happens I am physically cringing at certain scenes...but I can't make my mind up if its deliberate from Lynch or not. Like some of the supposed low budget SFX are intentional it seems to me and to a degree the acting is but that's harder to discern.

None of these criticisms by the way take away from the enjoyable experience I'm having thus far and I'm hesitant to hold firm these opinions. I'll have a much better assessment on the series when its complete and binge watch the entire thing when it becomes available. This was supposed to be shot like an 18 hour movie so I'd like to experience it that way before making any final judgement.

It's a lot to keep track of and the series is obviously far more grandiose than the original run.  I think that Lynch has a master plan for bringing it all together though.  Remember, he envisions this as "an 18 hour movie" to be binge-watched in a long weekend or something, and so all of those plot points might be easier to keep track of under those circumstances as opposed to viewing each episode a week or more after viewing its predecessors, and all of life's responsibilities and worries muddying the waters for you in the intervening days.  Give it time.
I agree, the funny thing is there is so much going on...yet it feels like nothing is happening. I agree that he's going to bring this all together in some fashion, I just hope its satisfying.

It's making sense to me.  The Argentina stuff has to do with Phillip Jeffries.  Remember, he was stationed there and discovered a way to transport himself from there to locations in North America (and presumably elsewhere) by moving through the realm inhabited by Bob, the Man from Another Place, and company.  He became freakier and freakier as he spent more time in that place and around those beings.  He is now working with Doppleganger Cooper in some way, and was perhaps complicit in the murder of Major Briggs by the same and the arson used to cover it up.  Dougie Jones (a nothing created by Doppleganger Cooper/Bob to avoid being pulled back into the Black Lodge at the end of their 25 year run) was to take the fall for this too, apparently, based on the presence of his wedding ring in Briggs' gut.  I am not sure if Jeffries was the man on the other end of the communications device when Doppleganger Coop thought he was reaching out to him in the previous episode, but whoever that is, he obviously wants Bob to be 'with him", and that is why Doppleganger Coop was pleased to know that Bob was still "with him" in prison.  The call to Argentina reduced whatever that black device was to a golden pearl similar to that created when Dougie withered out of existence.  It'd be a lot to type here, but the threads are all there if you care to knit them together.

I mean the black box that turns into what looks like a tiny lump of silver. There's a fan theory going around that what was texted from Ep5:
http://i.imgur.com/VvqDfMe.jpg

Has something to do with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argent

Someone made an interesting observation that the gold orb Dougie dissolved into was probably a pearl. When Mike picks it back up, he goes over to the formica table which the bottom of it is shaped like a claim.

Very interesting stuff. Maybe this all links up with Alchemy.

But yeah all the threads are there that will be knit together soon enough!

Do we know definitively that he died 25 years ago though?  We know that he went to his listening station and a fire was started there in which he was supposedly killed.  The fire might've been started to cover up his abduction by Doppleganger Cooper and Jeffries or someone else, or it might've been started by Briggs himself to fake his own death and flee from them in order keep his wife and Bobby out of danger.  He could've wound up in the Black Lodge or somewhere similar himself for a period of time.  Remember, Cooper saw his face in the void whispering, "Blue rose!". 

Well all that was said is that he's dead and there was a fire at the station, and Coop was the last one to see him alive. But it's not like they would mention autopsy reports and whereabouts of the body in casual exposition conversation 25 years later.

I think all of the things you listed as possible. It's also possible he did die for real in 1991 and his body was taken to the lodge, where time doesn't work the same, hence why it wouldn't be decomposed.

Thanks.  You should read my Gravity Falls conjecture.
Never heard of it, what am I missing out on?

Hey, by the way, speaking of lots of characters to keep track of, did you notice that in the end credits that jerk smoking in the Bang Bang Bar was listed as "Richard Horne"?  Whose son is he?  Ben?  Jerry?  If it's Audrey, why does he have his mom's maiden name?  Is there a connection between him and Doppleganger Coop?

Yep I saw that too. Probably the son of bad Cooper :) Or maybe Billy Zane!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:34:22 PM by nothing »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2597 on: June 05, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Tonight, high school baseball

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2598 on: June 05, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
Can I just start calling you Tony? Kind of tired of typing out Anontious err I mean Antonous err wait Antonius no that's not right Antonoious, ah forget it.  ;D

I can't decide if I want to go with a Bill Saluga inspired joke here, or the venerable and groan worthy "Just don't call me late for dinner!", so I'll let you take your pick.  But yeah, Tony is fine.

So anyway, Tony, I have to say I greatly appreciate your Twin Peaks posts.

Thank you!

I'm not a TP nerd and just watching to enjoy the ride, so sorry if I may not be the best interlocutor to discuss all of
these details.

I'm a great fan of the series, but I don't know if I qualify as a true TP nerd either, since I've never read any of the accompanying literature.  It's like that with other screen media I enjoy as well.  I love Star Wars, but I'm not into it enough to go buy tie-in novels or comic books or whatever.  Part of it is that I realize it's all just merchandizing, another part of it is that I have a life, and part of it is that I realize it's just plain not going to be that good.  The TP stuff might be different though, since, as you've mentioned, it's by Frost, Lynch's daughter, etc., and not just some random dork who is basically a glorified fan writing glorified fan fiction.

Maybe Iconodule can say something of substance.

He's never let me down so far.  One of my favorite posters here, bar none!  ;D

That said, my recall to the events/characters/scenes/locations/etc. from the original show is pretty fuzzy and I never read Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks. A lot of fans are pointing out stuff in this new series that comes from Frost's book.

Must...resist...urge...to buy...tie-in...merchandise!  I have to admit, you're making me want to take a gander at that book.  After all, it's from Frost.  Like I said, it's not like any of the Star Wars EU crap was actually written by Lucas.  And if it was, it was that Holiday Special thing, amirite?

But as far as the original series goes, my recall is pretty good.  Plus, I have the DVD box set, so...(No, I haven't bought the Blu-Ray thing though, with the deleted scenes from FWWM.  Are those canon?)

I love much of the fan feedback and speculation during the series because some of the questions I had were easily answered if I remembered a little bit of background.

True.  That's another reason I don't know if I qualify as a diehard fan.  I've never visited a fansite or a TP forum, and I barely know what reddit is.  I'm kind of on my own with this, because most of the people in my immediate social circle don't watch the show.  TBH, these conversations with you are pretty much the most I've discussed it with anyone outside of mulling things about in my own head.

I have to disagree with Lynch or whoever that said you don't need to watch the previous show/movie/whatever to get into this new series. Maybe he was trolling, but it's sort of incomprehensible without some prior knowledge to what lead up to the events now unfolding.

Did Lynch (or someone else who matters) really say that?  I think I'd be utterly clueless watching these first five episodes if I didn't have a little context.  Then again, what context did we have for Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway and we enjoyed them, right?

But anyway this show is a further continuation of Lynch's criticism of Americanism, especially the last episode the hollow, vapid middle class urban life. Even going back to Blue Velvet, Lynch has always been obsessed over exposing the "superficial" niceties of American life and the seediness that lies beneath.

Agreed.  There are a lot of points of commonality between Blue Velvet and the original run of Twin Peaks.  Both affected me deeply upon first viewing too.

I have nothing against these repeat motifs (heck her daughter gave off those Laura Palmer vibes, especially that beautiful longshot of her looking up in the sky while Macaulay Caulkin drives. I was totally expecting a car crash, but of course in Lynchian fashion never gives you what you expect).

And he set it to I Love How You Love Me by the Paris Sisters (as produced by Phil Spector), which totally made me think of the "That's the girl!" scenes in Mulholland Drive featuring the Linda Scott and Connie Stevens songs.  The way Lynch uses those late 50s/early 60s pre-Beatle American r&b and rock songs atmospherically in his films is fantastic.

Sometimes it feels contrived, and when that happens I am physically cringing at certain scenes...but I can't make my mind up if its deliberate from Lynch or not. Like some of the supposed low budget SFX are intentional it seems to me and to a degree the acting is but that's harder to discern.

The only truly cringe worthy scene for me so far was Wally Brando, and I'm sure that was deliberate.  Watching Coop stumble around in limbo for this extended period of time is getting to be a bit much too.  I've never gone in for that "let's see how long we can troll the audience" stuff, like that crap on Family Guy where Peter hurts his ankle and sucks air going "Ah!" for 15 minutes or whatever.  I understand Lynch isn't (just?) trolling.  He's making a point about the vapidity of stumbling blindly through 9-5 life.  But still, let's move things along, right?

None of these criticisms by the way take away from the enjoyable experience I'm having thus far and I'm hesitant to hold firm these opinions. I'll have a much better assessment on the series when its complete and binge watch the entire thing when it becomes available.

Agreed 100% concerning my stated criticisms.

This was supposed to be shot like an 18 hour movie so I'd like to experience it that way before making any final judgement.

Didn't I just say that in my last post?  Yeah, I'm sure I did! ;D

I agree, the funny thing is there is so much going on...yet it feels like nothing is happening. I agree that he's going to bring this all together in some fashion, I just hope its satisfying.

Yeah, it's taking its time moving forward.  But it will pay off, I am sure.  In Lynch we trust.

I mean the black box that turns into what looks like a tiny lump of silver.

Yeah, we're talking about the same thing.  Stick with me, kid.  So, I used to think that the people who wanted to kill Dougie only wanted to do so because of the 50k he owes them.  Now, I am not so sure.  When the thugs call in to their female boss - who has obviously been roughed up and is on pins and needles - she realizes that they have failed and reluctantly texts the term "Argent 2" or whatever to the black box in Argentina.  Later, in prison, Doppleganger Coop (DC from here on in) accesses the same device and it melts down to that little blob of metal, similar - but less spherical and well-defined - to the little golden pearl Dougie melted down to.  I think this is all connected to the activities of DK and Jeffries.  We are talking about the same thing.  It actually looks a bit like the thing generating the power in the Lynch-Frost logo, and we all know that Lynch frequently connects electricity to the spirit world in his works.

There's a fan theory going around that what was texted from Ep5:
http://i.imgur.com/VvqDfMe.jpg

Has something to do with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argent

I don't know anything about that.

Someone made an interesting observation that the gold orb Dougie dissolved into was probably a pearl. When Mike picks it back up, he goes over to the formica table which the bottom of it is shaped like a claim.

I didn't notice the shape of the Formica table being like a clam, but I also likened the little gold ball Dougie dissolved into being pearl-like.  Part of Dougie was vile black energy from Bob.  Part was the gold pearl.  From Coop?  Does Mike need to get that back to Coop to make him whole again?  Is that what he means when he tells Coop he was tricked?  By entering our plane the way he did, did he lose part of himself, and render himself more helpless and easily dispatched by Bob's minions, leaving Bob the only one of the Coopers who will survive, since one of the two has to go?

Very interesting stuff. Maybe this all links up with Alchemy.

Again, not sure.  Interesting though.

But yeah all the threads are there that will be knit together soon enough!

Agreed.  And as you observed earlier in this thread, it will be masterfully done, as Lynch is obviously putting his all into this.  Perhaps as his farewell opus.

Well all that was said is that he's dead and there was a fire at the station, and Coop was the last one to see him alive. But it's not like they would mention autopsy reports and whereabouts of the body in casual exposition conversation 25 years later.

That charred thug near Dougie's car - who will likely be misidentified as Dougie eventually - might be another note in that motif.

I think all of the things you listed as possible. It's also possible he did die for real in 1991 and his body was taken to the lodge, where time doesn't work the same, hence why it wouldn't be decomposed.

Maybe.  Leland was taken in there and "healed" before, right?

Thanks.  You should read my Gravity Falls conjecture.
Never heard of it, what am I missing out on?

It's just a cute little cartoon.  Kind of Twin Peaks for kids.  You might enjoy it, you might not.  I'm like a big kid with my cartoons sometimes.

Yep I saw that too. Probably the son of bad Cooper :) Or maybe Billy Zane!

I don't know which would be worse!  But yeah, I got some DK vibes from him too.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #2599 on: June 11, 2017, 03:59:26 PM »
Columbo Season 6, Episode 2, "Old-Fashioned Murder", with Mum.

Scary thing is, she followed it. It was at least 20 minutes into the show when the murder actually happened, and she immediately spotted their mistake.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:02:41 AM by mcarmichael »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2600 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Sherlock

I previously watched a 2 hour long youtube vid about how the show was "garbage," so here I am tonight watching it on Netflix

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2601 on: June 14, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »
It really is a pretty bad show.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2602 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
I've found the recent season of House of Cards inspiring. Most notably, the Doug Stamper character gives hope to bald, not-so-nice-looking, surly guys everywhere.

(let's leave aside that his character is one of the most powerful men in the country)

Have you tried the BBC's original house of cards?
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2603 on: June 15, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
House of Cards spoiler alert:

I found the scene where Doug Stamper confesses to the lady that he had her husband pushed down the liver wait list, resulting in his death, and then she says, more or less, "You think I didn't know? I'm sleeping with you because I hate you!"- I found that whole bit rather ridiculous, corny, unbelievable, like the writers were really grasping for some nifty twist to move things along.

I also thought Donald Blythe's departing words to Clare (and, presumably, the show) were mighty weak. A rather lame misogynist zinger in place of what I thought should have been a real knock-down blow.

I felt there were a lot of little things like that this season, though I still enjoyed it overall.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2604 on: June 15, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »

I think my biggest complaint so far--about 4 episodes in--involves a problem that a lot of tv writing that I've seen falls into, where they tell you how super-smart or hyper-competent a character is, but then when it comes time to show it they'll sometimes make the person as dumb as a wheelbarrow of bricks, because the plot requires it or even as a set up for a meaningless dramatic scene or visual gag. Though so far it doesn't seem as bad as similar abuse of characters like Bones or Dana Scully.

House of Cards spoiler alert:

I found the scene where Doug Stamper confesses to the lady that he had her husband pushed down the liver wait list, resulting in his death, and then she says, more or less, "You think I didn't know? I'm sleeping with you because I hate you!"- I found that whole bit rather ridiculous, corny, unbelievable, like the writers were really grasping for some nifty twist to move things along.

I also thought Donald Blythe's departing words to Clare (and, presumably, the show) were mighty weak. A rather lame misogynist zinger in place of what I thought should have been a real knock-down blow.

I felt there were a lot of little things like that this season, though I still enjoyed it overall.

I had a similar reaction overall, and yeah to that Blythe line in particular. I remember taking a second, "ok, what does that spell... oh... oh that's it? really?" I mean, I get that he's mild mannered and all, but Claire was pretty savage to him so I totally would have bought him going to town on her. In general I liked this last season more than the previous one, even if it seemed more cartoonish in parts (less clever scheming, more public blustering), and the confederate soldier reenactor relationship was strange. Also, even though I complimented him above, I was actually hoping Doug would get hammered at the end of the season; after what he did to Rachel, among other things, he deserves to burn in [fictional] hell.

Have you tried the BBC's original house of cards?

Haven't seen it yet, but if I recall correctly I have it on my Netflix 'to watch' list. Any thoughts on it?

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2605 on: June 15, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

I think my biggest complaint so far--about 4 episodes in--involves a problem that a lot of tv writing that I've seen falls into, where they tell you how super-smart or hyper-competent a character is, but then when it comes time to show it they'll sometimes make the person as dumb as a wheelbarrow of bricks, because the plot requires it or even as a set up for a meaningless dramatic scene or visual gag. Though so far it doesn't seem as bad as similar abuse of characters like Bones or Dana Scully.

This only gets worse as the series progresses.

**THIS IS NOT A SPOILER BUT FEEL FOREWARNED ANYWAY:**

The finale involves selective amnesia and an evil genius boondoggle so complex it amounts to a final episode retcon.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

• Merarches
« Reply #2606 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
The Putin Interviews

Fascinating.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2607 on: June 16, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »

The finale involves selective amnesia and an evil genius boondoggle so complex it amounts to a final episode retcon.

I haven't been keeping up the past year or so, but this kind of gimmicky, twisty stuff that substitutes for storytelling seems to saturate the show. Of course this is Moffatt in charge of the show, the same man who presided over so much of the garbage Doctor Who show, which has very much the same problems.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2608 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

I haven't been keeping up the past year or so, but this kind of gimmicky, twisty stuff that substitutes for storytelling seems to saturate the show. Of course this is Moffatt in charge of the show, the same man who presided over so much of the garbage Doctor Who show, which has very much the same problems.

***Mild spoilers***

After what was even then a stupid cliffhanger with Moriarty making posthumous shenanigans, Moffatt and Gatiss had to resort to writing tricks that required more and more mental gymnastics to make work. There was even a scene using forced perspective in which we were supposed to swallow that Sherlock didn't know there wasn't a pane of glass between him and Unbelievable Villian in an asylum.

The finale felt in a lot of ways like a bad Matt Smith "Dr. Who" episode, right down to the cheap emotional notes to try to make some kind of point about the character.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:39:02 PM by Agabus »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2609 on: June 16, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
I pity the fine tradition of British television, these days. Moffatt is a bowel movement that won't flush.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy