Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 380533 times)

Offline Cyprian700

• Archangel Michael Byzantine Icon (early 14th c.)
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2430 on: May 27, 2016, 04:43:06 AM »
Cyprian700, what's your favourite How I Met Your Mother character? I like Marshall.

Hollywood is utterly depraved and diabolical.  "They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

I hate and despise Hollywood, as all discerning Christians should, and I have no favorite shows or characters.  Every Hollywood production is laced with evil. Bar none.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2431 on: May 27, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
You may be shocked to hear this, but having grown up in Queens, I know for a fact there were gay people and Jewish people in Manhattan before someone made a show about it.

Try San Francisco in the 1950's. 
Didn't care then and wish I was forced not to try and care now as well.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2432 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
Cyprian700, what's your favourite How I Met Your Mother character? I like Marshall.

Hollywood is utterly depraved and diabolical.  "They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

I hate and despise Hollywood, as all discerning Christians should, and I have no favorite shows or characters.  Every Hollywood production is laced with evil. Bar none.
Isn't this particular quote referring to you and me as well?

Is there any secular movie or series you're into?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2433 on: May 28, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »

In the good ol' days of Rome (around empire height) actors were despised and near the bottom of the social rung, as they were considered unmanly with their career designated to be unworthy.
You Roman? or just like the Tradition?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2434 on: June 03, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
Speaking of good old days... The Good Old Days ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2435 on: June 04, 2016, 05:22:43 AM »
Watching all the wonderful coverage of Muhammad Ali. Sometimes the media actually does good work. From ESPN to CNN to FOX News, everyone is doing Ali justice and offering worthwhile and honest insights on the life and legacy of The Greatest. I keep breaking down in tears. Along with Dr. MLK, Ali has been my hero from the earliest days of childhood.

Muhammad Ali: Memory Eternal! +++

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #2436 on: June 04, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Watching all the wonderful coverage of Muhammad Ali. Sometimes the media actually does good work. From ESPN to CNN to FOX News, everyone is doing Ali justice and offering worthwhile and honest insights on the life and legacy of The Greatest. I keep breaking down in tears. Along with Dr. MLK, Ali has been my hero from the earliest days of childhood.

Selam
I am watching about him in national tv now
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2437 on: June 04, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
National news got over Prince quickly.  I wonder who's next.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2438 on: June 05, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »

Selam

You are not alone, Brother.
He was The Greatest in so many ways.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2439 on: July 07, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
A friend got me into Person of Interest through talking over the finale. There goes summer break.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2440 on: July 07, 2016, 09:04:13 AM »
I'm watching Yu-Gi-Oh, it was a real mania as I was a little kid. Most nostalgic thing I've done.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2441 on: July 07, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »
Iconodule: You like Invader Zim right? Do you like Samurai Jack?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2442 on: July 14, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »
I just got into Person of Interest (via Netflix) as well; watched the season 1 finale last night. Lots of wooden acting from the lead, crazy plots, silly characterizations, and dumb premises, but that's the price of admission. And dammit if, by the end of the season, they didn't have me really caring about that whole pre-show drama/relationship Reese had with that woman, along with the pre-show life of Finch as well.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2443 on: July 20, 2016, 02:05:05 AM »
I guess it's just you and me.  I was flipping channels and saw a cow getting bisected.  That was enough to get me hooked.  :)

I saw a person get bisected in a sci-fi-horror-movie once. It was a crappy movie to the 11th degree, but that single scene/special effect of the person getting split almost made it worth watching.  :police:

EDIT--to add, I guess getting cut in half isn't completely unique, but this was very clean and quick, it was some tentacle or lashing out or whatever, and at first the person didn't even know they were cut in half, and then... slowly... they realized... oh crap... and then plop, they fell apart.

I was recently surfing youtube and stumbled upon a vid of this scene. Not as cool as I remember. These things are almost never as cool as I remember.  :police:

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2444 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:17 AM »
I just got into Person of Interest (via Netflix) as well...

As a follow-up, the whole "charismatic [jerk]hole" thing they do with John Reese is seriously starting to rub me raw as a pancake. At least when writers were doing that sort of thing with Gregory House it was a central part of his character. Reese just treats people like crap and glibly/sarcastically dismisses them while they put their careers, lives, and the lives of others on the line.

EDIT--to remove minor spoilers
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:10:13 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2445 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »

I'm a big fan of Invader Zim. I enjoyed Samurai Jack but I thought it was mostly style over substance. Great visuals, none of the wit or great writing that Zim had.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #2446 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »
Just got around to watching Rosewood. Lighthearted fluff very much in the vein of my beloved Castle. Marvellous and untaxing.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2447 on: August 25, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
Just got around to watching Rosewood. Lighthearted fluff very much in the vein of my beloved Castle. Marvellous and untaxing.

My mom is obsessed with Castle, we do little Castle marathons every time I go home to visit
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2448 on: August 29, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
Binge-watching The Ray Bradbury Theater.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2449 on: September 24, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »
The Last Kingdom. It's really good.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #2450 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »

Ugh, I really really wanted to like it. Alas, I couldn't even finish the series. I don't think I'm one of those overly persnickety victim-complex people who sees anti-Xtian conspiracies in everything, but I found it to be more of Bernard Cornwell's pagan leg-humping stuff. And people who have a go at Alfred the Great, particularly based on their sad, baseless speculations, deserve some harsh comeuppance.

But aside from that, I thought it was entertaining and can see why people enjoyed it.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2451 on: September 25, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »
House of Cards

Consider this spoilery

Didn't mind the slow pacing early on, nor the dumb ways people acted sometimes (plot needs to move along, guess this character has to become an idiot for an episode or two...)  Now a little over halfway through the 4th season and the grind of it all, along with (imo) less interesting stories, is starting to get to me. But in general I'm still hooked. Also, for the 2nd time in a couple years I had a 'mouth wide open' surprised moment, with what happened to Zoe. Oh, and I wanted to reach through the TV screen and kill Doug for what happened to Rachel; honestly, I just want to kill him dead even now.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2452 on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »

I watched the whole thing and I don't know why. It wasn't what I was hoping. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2453 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:03 AM »
Luke Cage. H-O-O-K-E-D.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2454 on: October 05, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
Luke Cage. H-O-O-K-E-D.

I'm after the 7th episode. He is the most likeable character among those 3 and for me the show is being on par with the first season of Daredevil.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2455 on: October 05, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
I like it too. Good music. Gritty like the other two series but with a lot more style and a lot of love for the 70's.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2456 on: October 07, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
Mr. Robot

Only saw the 2nd season and not the 1st. I enjoyed it, though tbh I was expecting more after all the praise being heaped on the show.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2457 on: October 07, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
Just finished Luke Cage.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #2458 on: October 13, 2016, 05:35:25 PM »
I was excited about Designated Survivor, but the show has fallen flat; predictable story, and heavy pushing of politically-correct messages about vaunted minorities (Muslims, etc.). The Exorcist series is alright, but nothing like its original source material. I'm looking forward to the return of The Walking Dead, Homeland, and The Americans.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:35:49 PM by Saxon »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2459 on: October 14, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
Watched the first few episodes of Designated Survivor... still sort of one the fence about it. I don't dislike it, but it might end up being one that I just stop watching from lack of interest. One thing it has done is make me think more highly of House of Cards.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #2460 on: October 14, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
None really, don't have cable, can't watch baseball until the World Series because of that and probably won't watch if the Cubs don't make it. Can't watch pro bowling or hockey really either. The Chicago Bears are the best comedy series on TV, but being in North Carolina I usually can't watch them either! get stuck with the Carolina Panthers instead...they seem to be doing pretty bad, that might be fun. But, most stuff on TV is either leftist propaganda or just plain immoral.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #2461 on: October 14, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »

I'm a big fan of Invader Zim. I enjoyed Samurai Jack but I thought it was mostly style over substance. Great visuals, none of the wit or great writing that Zim had.
I remember Samurai Jack.  Hard to have wit or great dialogue writing when about 4 words were said in 3 episodes (or so it seemed)  ;)
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2462 on: October 14, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2463 on: October 14, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »
Nothing. My TV has broke.  :'(
God bless!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2464 on: October 15, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »

+1 I need to get back to that one.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
« Reply #2465 on: October 18, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »

+1 I need to get back to that one.

I've never quite got into it. I do enjoy Murdoch Mysteries/The Artful Detective as a period procedural, though the shoehorning in of modern mores is quite tiresome.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2466 on: October 27, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
Why does Madam Secretary have Candy Crush music playing over their end credits?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:21:21 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2467 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »
"Cops," augmented by flipping back and forth to the Tampa Bay Lightning game.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2468 on: October 27, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
Superstore

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2469 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »
Class. Laughs and scares galore!

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
« Reply #2470 on: October 28, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I've got the stomach for another Who spinoff. Torchwood was just dull by the end.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2471 on: October 28, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
Rick Steves Travels to Europe. I think that's what the show is called.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2472 on: November 07, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Tried watching West Wing but gave up on it after a couple episodes. Now watching 24 for the first time, which has been fairly entertaining...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2473 on: November 07, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
Cops.

In a little while, will switch to the football game.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2474 on: November 17, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Has anyone seen that 60's Russian War & Peace?  It's supposed to be one of the greatest achievments on film.  I'm debating about watching it in a few weeks.  Should I break the sacred rules and watch it dubbed?  Something tells me that would be very taxing to read all those subtitles.

I own the BBC one with Anthony Hopkins, which I like very much, if that means anything.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:59:15 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!