Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 380525 times)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2025 on: March 09, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
Season 3, Bates Motel, premier in 30 minutes. Also "The First 48" is coming on new season now, but I have it recording on DVR.
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2026 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
You know that woman that played the part of Mike's daughter-in-law on the last two episodes of Better Call Saul? She also played the part of the memorable crazy-lady--then-zombie Clara in The Walking Dead. Awesome! :)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2027 on: March 10, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
That Walking Dead scene (yesterday) with Carol and the young boy... ugh :-\ As someone who has been threatened in a similar way at a young age (well, excluding the zombies... and dying... and...; well moving on...) that kinda sucked to watch.

Well you've seen all the other crazy stuff Carol has done right? That's kind of who she is now. She killed and burnt those bodies in the prison. She shot that little girl in the back of the head. I was personally kind of laughing as she was telling that little boy not to tell anyone. Not because I thought it was funny, but because that little kid has no idea what she's like.

Have you read the comics?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2028 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
Aaaaagh!!!  No spoilers! I'm not watching all my TV shows for Lent and it is killing me not to see Walking Dead!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:31:19 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2029 on: March 10, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Oh, sorry  :-[  I'll just zip my lips  8)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2030 on: March 10, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
No, its my fault. Why I would go into a thread discussing TV shows while I'm pining away to watch TV shows is beyond me.  :P
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2031 on: March 10, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
Pascha is going to be so much sweeter, with the GoT premiere and all. :P
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2032 on: March 10, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
Aaaaagh!!!  No spoilers! I'm not watching all my TV shows for Lent and it is killing me not to see Walking Dead!

Remember back in the day when everyone had a LiveJournal account and you could use BBCoding to add a link labeled "Spoilers" and you couldn't read what was written until you clicked the link and that text would show up in a drop down. I miss those days.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2033 on: March 10, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
Anyone watch "Hannibal"? It has been pushed back to the summer season because NBC does not want to lose it. It is one of their lower rated shows. I really do not want to see it go! The end of Season 2 was soooo good!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:55:45 PM by wainscottbl »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #2034 on: March 12, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
Has the coffee show "Dangerous Grounds" with Todd Carmichael come back on yet? I cant find it
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #2035 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »

Carl dies.........oops sorry.
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2036 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Watched for the second time the Better Call Saul episode from this past Sunday. Good stuff.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #2037 on: March 12, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »

That was a crappy episode.  Everyone thought he was in the house, but he wasn't.  Who woulda thunk that zombie next to the tree stump was unneutralized?
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2038 on: March 12, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

That was a crappy episode.  Everyone thought he was in the house, but he wasn't.  Who woulda thunk that zombie next to the tree stump was unneutralized?

If Daryl hadn't been off his game and weeping in the woods by himself it never would have happened!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2039 on: March 13, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
Brideshead Revisited (1981).

Ah yes, I can certainly appreciate shows like that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:12:25 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2040 on: March 14, 2015, 07:30:33 AM »
Secrets and Lies, Blacklist, Scandal, Vikings, of course, but also form time to time when I want something different Wings and Parks and Recreation. Also, I need to force myself to watch Ally McBeal. It's in the same fictional universe as The Practice and Boston Legal, but a sitcom, and so more funny than dramatic. Also it is a bit of a chick show. But for the sake of the fictional universe, I should watch it. Hulu only has three seasons of The Practice, and Boston Legal is not on Netflix or Hulu.

EDIT: And finished House of Cards. Won't spoil it, but it was good. Can't wait for the new one to come out! Also that detective on Secrets and Lies is weird. And the fat neighbour, well, I put some money on him. He's a pervert of sorts, and well...the boy was not sexually assaulted, but...maybe...I don't think the older sister did it. It seems she has something to hide though from the previews. I don't think the boy's dad it, but the boy's mother's sister/father's mistress seems a good suspect. She had means, motive, opportunity. She is the one with the clearest motive. That or the fat guy. He seems to give off some possible guilt. He seems he might be playing the dumb friend on this issue, being helpful while really setting his friend up. though other evidence seems to negate this theory somewhat. So

1. The aunt
2. The fat neighbour
3. The older sister (she just has something to hide though, though maybe she is an unwilling accessory. She does not seem the type that would have done it herself. What's the motive? But maybe she was with someone. Or has knowledge at least. Accessory after the fact.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:39:00 AM by wainscottbl »
                                                             -Aristotle

Online Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2041 on: March 15, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
Dig.  Zionists and Fundamentalists conspiring to bring about Armeggedon.  Good stuff.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2042 on: March 15, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »
I want a pre-apocalyptic film that starts at the very beginning of the zombie epidemic and shows how it gradually progresses and how society deals with it while slowly crumpling. The most intriguing part of the zombie lore is speculating how society broke down; what happened to the military and civilization? What happened to the man in the shower when the dead started rising? What happened to the kid on the school bus? What were humanity's final days like?

... This is what I like to see. It's the apocalypse in its beginning stages gradually unfolding and this is how individuals and society at large is dealing with it. This is society's last days. It's much better than that post-apocalyptic garbage.

You may be getting your wish. Supposedly the spinoff of The Walking Dead, which is now in development, is gonna be about things as they first go down, and spend a while with that. Sort of a quasi-prequel to The Walking Dead, though following a different group in a different area.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:14:53 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2043 on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
Well, I have ruled out the daughter and the fat neighbor. That detective is creepily awesome though.

She's freaky, but well acted. She adds quality to the show. Some of the actors are decent, but the quality ones really hold the show up. Ryan Phillippe plays a good Ben Crawford, and Indiana Evans acts her part as the snarky daughter well. The other actors are okay, not in a mediocre way but just okay.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:11:56 PM by wainscottbl »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2044 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »

Having watched all episodes I can only say that this isn't entertainment, it is pure art. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. This is what TV should be.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:49:57 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2045 on: March 17, 2015, 12:02:58 AM »

Having watched all episodes I can only say that this isn't entertainment, it is pure art. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. This is what TV should be.

Indeed, it's sumptuous. Incredible to think the BBC was producing such masterpieces back when Britain's economy was a wreck. I guess Labour's high taxes did some good.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2046 on: March 17, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »

Indeed, it's sumptuous. Incredible to think the BBC was producing such masterpieces back when Britain's economy was a wreck. I guess Labour's high taxes did some good.

The best shows are probably produced during economic downturns. That's when people turn to fiction and escapism. The 2008-2015 economic slump has produced a lot of wonderful series as well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:58:15 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2047 on: March 17, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
Has anyone watched The Americans?

Probably the best show that no one is watching.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2048 on: March 17, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

I watched a few episodes from the first season and I really tried to like it; I just couldn't.  Maybe it's because Felicity is in it and I've never really liked her as an actress and it's hard for me to picture her as some BA commie  secret agent. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2049 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
"Taggart," a 1980s detective show set in Scotland. I am so glad that Acorn TV has added a bunch of good series to the streaming lineup this month.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2050 on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »

I watched a few episodes from the first season and I really tried to like it; I just couldn't.  Maybe it's because Felicity is in it and I've never really liked her as an actress and it's hard for me to picture her as some BA commie  secret agent.

Im not familiar with her before this show. Im definitely sucked in at this point. Just finished season 1.

Its caused me to rethink my career path. I want to be an FBI agent. Or a russian spy...
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2051 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
I must have missed something... Where did Gotham go? I haven't seen a new episode in a few weeks. Did it always have it's season finale?

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2052 on: March 20, 2015, 02:47:27 AM »
I must have missed something... Where did Gotham go? I haven't seen a new episode in a few weeks. Did it always have it's season finale?

I know. They break these seasons so much up it is ridiculous. I don't know! It makes me mad, too.

Anyone a friend of The Night Shift? Sort of like a knock off Grey's Anatomy. I like it, but never cared for Grey's from what I have seen. I have my chick show/flick guilty pleasures though. "Steel Magnolias" being one of them.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #2053 on: March 20, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
Fresh Off the Boat, Blackish and American Crime!

And my fav. for the last 4 years THE MIDDLE!!!

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2054 on: March 20, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »

The best shows are probably produced during economic downturns. That's when people turn to fiction and escapism. The 2008-2015 economic slump has produced a lot of wonderful series as well.

Just for the record, Margaret Thatcher was in power in 1981 and the economy was recovering although people were feeling the sting of her spending cuts also, and there was an oil price crisis. 

I think people being miserable results in good television.  Star Trek, the original series, dates from the Vietnam War era.  Deep Space Nine, widely regarded as the best Star Trek series by fans, dates from the 1990s, where you had a superficial economic boom but a certain amount of moral bankruptcy that made escapism attractive.  There was IMO a huge drop in quality that happened around 2000-2001 in spite of the dotcom bust and the 9/11 attacks.  The latter altered people's perspectives about things in a huge way, and it took years for television to normalize. 
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2055 on: March 20, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »

Just for the record, Margaret Thatcher was in power in 1981 and the economy was recovering although people were feeling the sting of her spending cuts also, and there was an oil price crisis. 

In 1981 the worst was yet to come.

Then again, Brideshead Revisited wasn't made by the BBC.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:37:17 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2056 on: March 20, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Anyone else watch Vikings? I personally don't think Porunn face looks all that bad. At least the skin and her eyes are all intact.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2057 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
Anyone else watch Vikings? I personally don't think Porunn face looks all that bad. At least the skin and her eyes are all intact.

Reminded me of the face of Harvey Denton in The Dark Knight, but not as bad. I suppose it tests love.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2058 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »

In 1981 the worst was yet to come.

Then again, Brideshead Revisited wasn't made by the BBC.

Oh I thought it was. You're right, it was an ITV production.

And you're also right that 1981 still hadn't seen the nadir of the miners' strike. Nevertheless, it was not a good time for Britain on the whole, nor for much of Europe. That was the year I was born and my parents have stories...

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2059 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
ITV was rolling in it at the time. Not only advertising slots went for all-time high prices (in the neighbourhood of £5 million), but also it was a conglomerate of several networks that competed with one another. Competition is always good news for quality.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2060 on: March 21, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »
Competition is always good news for quality.

Sometimes. At other times it's a reason to start a competition who can dumb down shows to the lowest common denominator (usually by adding explosions and sex and not bothering about complex storylines) the fastest. I'm not wholly convinced of the merit of competition in art.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:44:57 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2061 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »

Sometimes. At other times it's a reason to start a competition who can dumb down shows to the lowest common denominator (usually by adding explosions and sex and not bothering about complex storylines) the fastest. I'm not wholly convinced of the merit of competition in art.

The funding of art is business, which works accordingly. ;)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2062 on: March 21, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »

It's called reality TV.

I mean the educational channels have been filled with the stuff. I like the cop style ones like The Last 48. But the whole reality TV....
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2063 on: March 22, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
Just got "Collision" and "The Last Enemy" on DVD.

Right now, I'm watching Manchester United vs. Liverpool.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2064 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »

It's called reality TV.

I mean the educational channels have been filled with the stuff. I like the cop style ones like The Last 48. But the whole reality TV....

Reality TV has caught on because it can be made without funding. ;)

When you mix reality TV with proper funding, you get stuff like Extreme School.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #2065 on: March 22, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
Any other DBZ fans on OC.net, by any chance?
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #2066 on: March 22, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »

It's called reality TV.

Reality TV has caught on because it can be made without funding. ;)

When you mix reality TV with proper funding, you get stuff like Extreme School.

It is entertaining. Watching idiots is like watching sociopaths sell stuff on infomercials

Total sociopath this guy. Should have stayed in prison.

-Aristotle

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2067 on: March 22, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »

I like the art of Akira Toriyama in the Dragon Quest series... but that's as close as I come  :)

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #2068 on: March 22, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »

I like the art of Akira Toriyama in the Dragon Quest series... but that's as close as I come  :)
Toriyama's designs and franchises are brilliant, his writing... Not so much...

The George Lucas of anime, some say.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:05:22 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2069 on: March 22, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
If you like so-bad-they're-fascinating infomercials, try You Tube or other video sites for a guy named Tom Vu. Hilarious and unbelievable. He stares deadpan at the camera and says stuff like, "What do you want to be, a loser?" He was around in the mid-to-late 80s.