Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 380527 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #1845 on: December 29, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
"Trial and Retribution" and "K-9 Cops."
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1846 on: December 30, 2014, 04:40:59 AM »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #1847 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #1848 on: December 30, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »

Starting watching this last night (it's on netflix) and I was very surprised how good it was once you get past the pilot episode.

I was even more impressed by the ratings it got
7.7/10-IMDb
8.4/10-TV.com
100%-Rotten Tomatoes   <-- 100% on Rotten Tomatoes is hard to get imo

Watched 8 episodes last night (45min each) I'll most likely finish the first season tonight. It's hard to find good sci-fi these days and this is good.

When nuclear Armageddon destroys civilization on Earth, the only survivors are those on the 12 international space stations in orbit at the time. Three generations later, the 4,000 survivors living on a space ark of linked stations see their resources dwindle and face draconian measures established to ensure humanity's future. Desperately looking for a solution, the ark's leaders send 100 juvenile prisoners back to the planet to test its habitability. Having always lived in space, the exiles find the planet fascinating and terrifying, but with the fate of the human race in their hands, they must forge a path into the unknown.

Sounds interesting.  Might have to catch it.

I have been watching Marco Polo on netflix.  It has it's problems, but I really like it all the same.  If you are not a fan of nudity and violence...well, there are other shows you might consider.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1849 on: December 30, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

My brother got me interested in this.  I love it! 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1850 on: December 30, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »

It looks right up your alley.  Now, come to PA where we can show you how it is lived out IRL.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1851 on: December 30, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »

I was surprised to see a 15 year old Ellen Page in season 2! I guess she grew up in Nova Scotia.

The show is great, it's one of the first comedy "mockumentaries" and even came out before Americas version of The Office.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #1852 on: December 30, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

Admittedly, I watch and love this show due to its innuendoes plus the grim setting and characters.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:00:06 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1853 on: December 30, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Admittedly, I watch and love this show due to its innuendoes plus the grim setting and characters.

This show is awesome! I wish netflix had more than two seasons.

"I'm a buff baby that can dance like a man,
I can shake-a my fanny, I can shake-a my can!
I'm a tough tootin' baby, I can punch-a your buns!
Punch-a your buns, I can punch all your buns!
If you're an evil witch, I will punch you for fun!"

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #1854 on: December 30, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »

My son loves it. You'll probably enjoy Gravity Falls as well - a kid version of the X Files.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1855 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

This show is awesome! I wish netflix had more than two seasons.

"I'm a buff baby that can dance like a man,
I can shake-a my fanny, I can shake-a my can!
I'm a tough tootin' baby, I can punch-a your buns!
Punch-a your buns, I can punch all your buns!
If you're an evil witch, I will punch you for fun!"

I feel the urge to post the BMO Pregnant song here but it might be against Forum rules so here's the Stuff Song instead,

Finn: My hot dog's dead.
My pizza's dead.
My cupcake is dead.

Jake: Oh, um, my doughnut's dead.
My burger's dead.
My milkshake is dead.

Finn: All of our favorite foods are totally dead.
They cannot procreate in little food beds.
We'll eat them up
And turn them into stuff.

Jake: And we'll cry over their graves,
But you can't cry enough...
Together: When you miss someone you love,
You can't cry enough.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1856 on: December 30, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »

My son loves it. You'll probably enjoy Gravity Falls as well - a kid version of the X Files.

I haven't checked it out but have a friend who watches it and loves it.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1857 on: December 30, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »

I haven't checked it out but have a friend who watches it and loves it.

What I love about Adventure Time is that it's not just a kid show. It's fun for adults as well! I also love that the voice of Jake is the same guy who does Bender on Futurama

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1858 on: December 30, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
The other night, I finally somehow got to a state of mind that was receptive to watching Sherlock. Overall, I was happy with the way the story and characters are entirely new creations, just with points of inspiration from Conan Doyle. However, the writers certainly wanted viewers to know that they are up-to-date with what makes for contemporary TV. The multiple references to homosexuality, the pop psychology, the Drug War, the having the protagonist torture a secondary character. These things started to get just too obvious. The worst thing about the pilot was the writers' decision just to drop the mystery plot, at the end, rather than solve it. Maybe I was not as happy with the newness as I thought I was. :)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1859 on: December 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
"Above Suspicion."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1860 on: December 30, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »

I was surprised to see a 15 year old Ellen Page in season 2! I guess she grew up in Nova Scotia.

The show is great, it's one of the first comedy "mockumentaries" and even came out before Americas version of The Office.

I couldn't imagine that you would enjoy this show, but the fact that you do is making me fall in love with you platonically. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1861 on: December 31, 2014, 04:02:03 AM »

I couldn't imagine that you would enjoy this show, but the fact that you do is making me fall in love with you platonically. 

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1862 on: January 02, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
Well boys, I just spent all week watching all 8 seasons of the Trailer Park Boys, including the 3 movies and the live specials...... Starting to get with-drawls now that I it's all over. At least season 9 comes out in March 2015.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1863 on: January 02, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »
I've spent the last two days watching Gravity Falls en masse. It is the best show on Disney because they allow innuendoes and a dark and sinister tone underlying all the humor and fun that goes on.

Since it's 2015, here are some upcoming TV series I got on my watch list,

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Star Vs the Forces of Evil(Depending on reviews and whether it has stuff that older audiences can enjoy), Aldnoah Zero Season 2, Junketsu no Maria.

What upcoming TV Shows is OC Net planning to watch?

On a side note, it seems my personal style of sketching have changed after watching Gravity Falls. It became more cartoonish but I kinda like it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:15:47 PM by sakura95 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1864 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
"Broadchurch" and "The Tudors."

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1865 on: January 03, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
What upcoming TV Shows is OC Net planning to watch?

Major Crimes (3 more episodes this season)
Walking Dead (new episodes starting in February)
Bones (I have 2 more episodes till I'm caught up, then new episodes starting in March)
Game of Thrones (I need to see Season 4 when they release it in February, then new episodes begin in... April?)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1866 on: January 06, 2015, 01:07:26 AM »
Just finished season 1 and 2 of Vikings. I was disappointed when finding out the version on Amazon Prime is the censored version without boobs and you can only see the unconcerned version in the UK and on Blueray. Boobs make everything better.  :laugh:

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1867 on: January 06, 2015, 01:37:14 AM »
Just finished season 1 and 2 of Vikings. I was disappointed when finding out the version on Amazon Prime is the censored version without boobs and you can only see the unconcerned version in the UK and on Blueray. Boobs make everything better.  :laugh:
We do have a number of women who post on this forum. You may wish to show them a lot more respect than this. >:(
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1868 on: January 06, 2015, 01:51:14 AM »
We do have a number of women who post on this forum. You may wish to show them a lot more respect than this. >:(

When I am speaking with them I will, I wasn't speaking to them or about them was I.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1869 on: January 10, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1870 on: January 10, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »

I don't think women are the ones unnerved by breasts.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1871 on: January 10, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
"Trial and Retribution." I thought they were going to take it off Acorn TV, but they're not. In fact, they now have the first five seasons, not just the first two. Going to be a busy weekend, other than work and church! :)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1872 on: January 10, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
I'm waiting for Game of Thrones, it's right around the corner. The Walking Dead and Vikings start back up as well!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1873 on: January 15, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »

I thought he was writing about me! And I'm not a woman!
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1874 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
The other night, I finally somehow got to a state of mind that was receptive to watching Sherlock. Overall, I was happy with the way the story and characters are entirely new creations, just with points of inspiration from Conan Doyle. However, the writers certainly wanted viewers to know that they are up-to-date with what makes for contemporary TV. The multiple references to homosexuality, the pop psychology, the Drug War, the having the protagonist torture a secondary character. These things started to get just too obvious. The worst thing about the pilot was the writers' decision just to drop the mystery plot, at the end, rather than solve it. Maybe I was not as happy with the newness as I thought I was. :)

For some reason, I've kept watching this, and while the writers have yet to show they can compose a tight plot (or sometimes even a closed one) -- something unforgivable when one is emulating Conan Doyle -- and while the show overall continues to impress most at its ability to stay atop a tightrope between quality and stupidity, I haven't given up yet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:33:00 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #1875 on: January 15, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »

For some reason, I've kept watching this, and while the writers have yet to show they can compose a tight plot (or sometimes even a closed one) -- something unforgivable when one is emulating Conan Doyle -- and while the show overall continues to impress most at its ability to stay atop a tightrope between quality and stupidity, I haven't given up yet.

I am curious if you find the most egregious error and sin of the series. I believe it occurs in the second season.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1876 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »

I am curious if you find the most egregious error and sin of the series. I believe it occurs in the second season.

I am curious if you think that, godlike, your finding something "the most ..." then makes it so? But I'd be interested in your discussion and opinion. In my opinion the show's filled with enough sins that detailing them would be tedious. The threatening to shoot the plastic explosives at the Moriarty encounter -- that is, the Series One cliffhanger -- which could have had at least one thrilling good reason, being left without explanation when the encounter resumes with Series Two is an egregious example -- but then the whole encounter was a mistake, and then there are so many, many more.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:41:23 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1877 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
Watched the first episode of "Downton Abbey" today.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #1878 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »

Oh points for replying to yourself. And your last subordinate clause sums up the train wreck well. Points also for the run on. Hemingway ruined American, glad you are among those rehabilitating it.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #1879 on: January 15, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
Watched the first episode of "Downton Abbey" today.

Lord have mercy.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1880 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »

Oh points for replying to yourself. And your last subordinate clause sums up the train wreck well. Points also for the run on. Hemingway ruined American, glad you are among those rehabilitating it.

That's not a run-on sentence, Norman, but thank you. (Your last sentence is.)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #1881 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »

That's not a run-on sentence, Norman, but thank you. (Your last sentence is.)

You ain't seen nothing yet! You were homeschooled so probably didn't learn that a run on sentence is pretty much anything containing more than ten words. When the kids come home they will certainly deify you on this matter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1882 on: January 15, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
Now watching a high school hockey game.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1883 on: January 16, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
"Wallander," the BBC version, episode "Faceless Killers." I've read the Mankell book.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1884 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
Dragons: Defenders of Berk. Over the holidays we completed the Dragons franchise (both films, Christmas special, and both TV series) and fun times are being had by all.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1885 on: January 23, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
Local news station.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #1886 on: January 24, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
I just got finished binge watching "Orange is the new black" on Netflix which is set in a prison for women ... Really really good..heavy on the pro-gay agenda but very well acted and written... Kate Mulgrew ( Capt. Janeway from Star Trek) has a big part.. They occasionally make obtuse Star Trek references. 
The tall girlfriend from "That 70's show" is one of the main characters too...She grew up good.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1887 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
Oh man, Marc. You can't possibly be as bad as I thought you were because we apparently have the same taste in TV shows. I love Orange is the New Black. It is one of those rare shows that I enjoy for entertainment value, but it also really made me think about what people have to deal with in prison and the opportunities that I have been given in life that others don't have.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1888 on: January 24, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
"Space: 1999" and the original "Battlestar Galactica." I love old-school science fiction. :) (Both on Hulu, if you want to find them too.)

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #1889 on: January 24, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Oh man, Marc. You can't possibly be as bad as I thought you were because we apparently have the same taste in TV shows. I love Orange is the New Black. It is one of those rare shows that I enjoy for entertainment value, but it also really made me think about what people have to deal with in prison and the opportunities that I have been given in life that others don't have.

OITNB is quite a fantastic show, and I can wait for season three

perhaps i should rewatch