OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 59591 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1215 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

I'd also be sad to lose Glen.

Didn't Steven Yeun (Glenn) just win an award for being one of the top 100 sexiest men alive or something like that? Can't kill the sex symbol... between him and Daryl and some of the other guys they have gold here...

I vote Glenn and Maggie both die. It could be romantic..

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Maggie is the show's sex symbol.  Followed closely by Darryl.  No homo.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1216 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

I'd also be sad to lose Glen.

Didn't Steven Yeun (Glenn) just win an award for being one of the top 100 sexiest men alive or something like that? Can't kill the sex symbol... between him and Daryl and some of the other guys they have gold here...

I vote Glenn and Maggie both die. It could be romantic..

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Maggie is the show's sex symbol.  Followed closely by Darryl.  No homo.

Actually the Gov. is a hot piece of man flesh.er...no Homo

Chris Hardwick told him on Talking Dead that his Mom was obsessed with him and said "You may have a shot with her"

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1217 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »

Sorry people, but the sexiest cast member (Amy) was killed off in season one. Emily Kinney (Beth) is a decent replacement though.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1218 on: November 25, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

Sorry people, but the sexiest cast member (Amy) was killed off in season one. Emily Kinney (Beth) is a decent replacement though.

Beth is actually very legal.  27 or 28, I think.  And she is originally from the Holy State of Nebraska. 

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1219 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

Beth is actually very legal.  27 or 28, I think. 

Indeed. When I first saw her on the show I went to wiki to find out her age, so as to know exactly how guilty I should be feeling about my thoughts. Afterwards I chuckled both when they teased a Carl/Beth relationship, and also when poor old Axel expressed interest and Carol got defensive.  Cool
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

Actually the Gov. is a hot piece of man flesh.er...no Homo

Chris Hardwick told him on Talking Dead that his Mom was obsessed with him and said "You may have a shot with her"

Ha! That's hilarious. I don't find the Governor hot though. But I do agree that Beth is pretty.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1221 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #1222 on: November 27, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I hate cause it made me feel negative emotions.

Thank you.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #1223 on: November 27, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »

I've started watching Voyager. I've yet to make it through an entire Star Trek series, but this seems to be the shortest (not counting Enterprise, which I hear is bad), so maybe I'll make it through this one.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1224 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

(not counting Enterprise, which I hear is bad)

Well of course they would want you to think that.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1225 on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »

'Preachers of L.A.' and 'Church Rescue.'

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1226 on: November 27, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »

Ok, last pic from TWD this week, I promise. It's just such a nice one of the tank I can't resist...

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1227 on: November 27, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »

^ I cannot see the whole picture, so what kind of tank is that?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1228 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »

Resized...

Not sure about what kind it was. I did a google search and there were some guesses, but no one sounded certain. There're some tank fans 'round these parts though...
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1229 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »

Resized...

Not sure about what kind it was. I did a google search and there were some guesses, but no one sounded certain. There're some tank fans 'round these parts though...

I'm thinking M26 Pershing

Vamrat will know for sure

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1230 on: November 28, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

Who is going to die on Sunday? Some have speculated that it will be Herschel, which would be a bummer. It'd be even worse if it was Michonne.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1231 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:56 PM »

OMG I can't stand the Governor McLiar Pants.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1232 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »

I'm so upset. Like... more upset than after the Red Wedding.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1233 on: December 01, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »

I don't even know what to say...  Cry

As fiction it was great, and sad. As a metaphor for reality it was similarly..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:59:24 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1234 on: December 01, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »

Rot in Hell Governor

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1235 on: December 01, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

Rot in Hell Governor

+1 million

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1236 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »

What do you guys think happened to Judith? Any chance she's on the bus?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1237 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »

The show is on, but real quick, I took the baby seat scene as meaning she was taken and safe. I mean, if she died in the seat I assume we'd still see her... though there did appear to be some blood... but then again they probably wouldn't want to show her dying on screen... so   *I dunno*  ...anyway, gotta go watch the rebroadcast
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1238 on: December 01, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »

I'm taking the fact that she wasn't listed in the In Memoriam part of Talking Dead as a positive sign.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1239 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »

What do you guys think happened to Judith? Any chance she's on the bus?

Zombie appetizer

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1240 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »

Zombie appetizer

After re-watching the episode, I'm a bit more hopeful that she's alive and with somebody. When Rick and Carl see her bloody carseat at the end, the straps were unbuckled, and we know when the little girls were carrying her earlier in the seat that she was strapped in. If they had been buckled at the end, then I think obviously she probably wouldn't be alive, because who would take the time to re-buckle an empty carseat during all the mayhem? No one does that on a normal day, much less during a chaotic battle. But an unbuckled carseat indicates (to me) that someone grabbed her, because I'm seriously doubting that a walker has the brain power to figure that out.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1241 on: December 02, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »

And really bad Tank tactics.. You are supposed to stand back and use your big gun to kill everyone and knock down the buildings they are In.

Boom...............................Boom............................Boom...................Boom

Like that. You don't reduce it to rolling cover that charges up the field with your infantry walking behind it. They go at the end and mop up.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:23:34 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1242 on: December 02, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

*WALKING DEAD SPOILERS*

Though I guess we're past that at this point.

[Insert Dr. McCoy Voice] I'm a governor, not a military tactician, [darn it]! [/Voice]   Tongue

So a few other things about the episode. Random thoughts. The Lilly turn seemed a bit quick, but then she didn't have much time overall. Meghan was the first child character that I really felt like I was going to get attached to... and then... BAH. The lesbian couple don't make it more than a few episodes, that's so homophobic! (kidding, though I did like the couple, until the one woman decided to become just another blind follower of the gov; I felt bad for Tara though through the entire episode.) I don't know what it is, but this (half) season just seemed a whole lot better to me. Better writing, better shots, etc. I know they had some changes, including new writers, not sure if that's all of it or what. It's hard not to compare this half season to the last half season of Breaking Bad, since the latter aired immediately before TWD. More pontificating/meandering on that some other day. On a different note (but not really that different), I think this is the first group of episodes that I would describe as "good TV," as opposed to labels like guilty pleasure or fairly enjoyable. I think you make a good point about the car seat, ZZ... let's hope. This has been great, can't wait till February. And finally, I will leave you with a comment I saw on a TWD meme on facebook:

Governor: I have an army.
Rick: I have a Daryl.

Though in this episode I'm sure Rick was much more thankful for Michonne.

EDIT--Come to think of it, both Tara and Lilly survive... so maybe we'll see them again?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:42:52 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1243 on: December 02, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »

Resized...

I'm thinking M26 Pershing

Vamrat will know for sure

M60A1 or A3.  The differences between the two would probably have been removed during demilitarizing.  The A2 had that 155mm gun from the Sheridan.  The gun is without a doubt the American copy of the Royal Ordinance L7, but can't be an M48A5 - the glacis plate is straight rather than looking like a frog mouth.

Notice in the picture how they took out the cupola .50 and the coaxial .30?  Probably a former national guard tank or possibly one from a private collection.  For the type of fighting they were doing I think they would have been at least as devastating as the main gun.  I don't think they would have carried all that many HE rounds.  The AP would have been next to useless, like hunting rabbits with a .30-06
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:17:49 PM by vamrat » Logged

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1244 on: December 02, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

M60A1

I know nothing about tanks so I have no idea what series it is and will defer to your expertise, but I do know that on Talking Dead they said it was an M60 from Vietnam that belonged to a collector.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1245 on: December 02, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

M60A1

I know nothing about tanks so I have no idea what series it is and will defer to your expertise, but I do know that on Talking Dead they said it was an M60 from Vietnam that belonged to a collector.

It very well could have been from that time period (they were produced from the very early '60's until the early/mid '90's).  In VN they would have used the M48A3 from which it was developed***.  Unless you are a total tread nerd you'll probably not be able to distinguish the later M48A5 from this.  When I took pictures of the one in Columbus, NE I had to post it on the interwebz to figure out the difference (the glacis plate is the only easy way). 

***The bridge-layer and combat engineer variants of the M60 were used in VN, but this is not one of those.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1246 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

M60A1

It very well could have been from that time period (they were produced from the very early '60's until the early/mid '90's).  In VN they would have used the M48A3 from which it was developed***.  Unless you are a total tread nerd you'll probably not be able to distinguish the later M48A5 from this.  When I took pictures of the one in Columbus, NE I had to post it on the interwebz to figure out the difference (the glacis plate is the only easy way). 

***The bridge-layer and combat engineer variants of the M60 were used in VN, but this is not one of those.

You learn something new everyday!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1247 on: December 02, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »

Photographic evidence that the Gov has friends in high places...

Don't count out the possibility that they used CGI to create a false ending to fool us into thinking that the Gov is gone. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood has tried to pool the wool over our eyes. Remember the moon landings? Exactly...
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1248 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

The tank was actually from Sherman's Atlanta campaign.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1249 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »

Oh! Is this similar to the tanks used from the shore when the Monitor and Virginia battled?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1250 on: December 02, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »

Major Crimes is back on. More of this splitting in half of seasons stuff. Bah. Anyway, I just wish they weren't so heavy handed with the moralizing sometimes. Wait, is that redundant? Is heavy handed moralizing worse than regular moralizing? Either way, it's enjoyable enough...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1251 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »

Oh! Is this similar to the tanks used from the shore when the Monitor and Virginia battled?

No, the Union used M3 Medium tanks without the MG coupola and M4 Medium tanks as well as M551 light tanks.  The Confederates typically were equipped with the same M3 but mounted the MG coupola as well as M36 tank destroyers.

(For non tank nerds, the M3 w/o cupola was called the Grant in British service and the M4 was more famously called the Sherman.  After WWII US crews carried on the tradition of naming tanks, thus the M551 was the Sheridan.  The M3 with cupola in British service was called the Lee, and M36 was the Jackson.  After WWII we got some tanks with non-Civil War names: Walker Bulldog, Patton (the M60 was often called a Patton), and the Abrams MBT and Bradley Armoured Fighting Vehicle.)

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1252 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »

The Germans had a couple of cute nicknames for the Sherman- "Yankee Cooker" and "Rolling Grave" as I recall.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1253 on: December 03, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »

The Germans had a couple of cute nicknames for the Sherman- "Yankee Cooker" and "Rolling Grave" as I recall.

Yeah, the gas-engines burned fiercely.  It didn't help that the Germans had been developing better and better anti-tank guns for years to defeat the sloped T-34s and the massive KV's employed by the Russians.  Against the 7.5cm L/70 guns (which were arguably better than the more famous 8.8cm) the Sherman's amrour wasn't much of an improvement over a couple of stacked coke cans. 

The Russians and British used the M4A2 Shermans with diesel engines.  These didn't have the same fire problems.  Interestingly, despite the Sherman's poor reputation for igniting, the Panther's seemed to have similar problems, just not against the antiquated 75mms we were using until mid/late-1944. 

The Russians had a colourful nickname for the M3 Grant's they used via Lend-Lease:  A Grave for Six Brothers. 

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1254 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »

^ But didn't some of the heavier German tanks have trouble with breakdowns?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1255 on: December 04, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

Oh yeah.  German tanks were notorious for falling apart on the road.  I think I read once that in a regular Tiger company of 14 tanks, you'd have enough running to equip a platoon of 4.  In addition you had the predations of Allied fighter bombers that whittled the numbers down, but mechanical failures were rampant.  Russian tanks did not have this problem...there were very few things on the you couldn't work on with a sledgehammer!

And this doesn't even get into the problem of many tanks being overloaded.  The engine on the Tiger was too small for the weight it had to move.  They used this same engine on the Panther which also dropped several tonnes of armour and thus was a rather maneuverable tank.  Then they put this same engine on the King Tiger and added twentysome tonnes to the Tiger's weight.  (Lets not even get into the Jagdtiger which until the M1 Abrams was pretty much the heaviest tank ever actually used in combat). 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:38:10 AM by vamrat » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1256 on: December 04, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

I haven't looked to much into the subject, but it seems to me the superiority of the German tanks came primarily from their way of using them and not so much from the superior quality of the tanks themselves. At the beginning of the war, the French, Poles, and British all had tanks that were not too bad compared to the Germans' but they were only using them for infantry support.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1257 on: December 04, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »

I haven't looked to much into the subject, but it seems to me the superiority of the German tanks came primarily from their way of using them and not so much from the superior quality of the tanks themselves. At the beginning of the war, the French, Poles, and British all had tanks that were not too bad compared to the Germans' but they were only using them for infantry support.

I could write a long response but I don't want to clog up the TV Show thread with too much tank talk... Wink...but that is absolutely correct.  A large part of German tank superiority comes from the fact that to most Americans, the war started on June 6th 1944 when Tom Hanks hit the beaches and was pretty much over after he killed the only remaining Tiger tank with his .45.  In this period, the German tanks were in fact superior to pretty much every one else...so long as you discount the Russian front since that ended with the bizarre sex scene in Enemy at the Gates.  (In the same period - June - August 1944 the US, Brits, and Canadians were getting off the Normandy peninsula whereas the Russians had destroyed Army Group Center and had pushed deep into Poland.)  Otherwise, from 1939-1940 the French and British had superior tanks to the Germans, on the main, but they were poorly handled and piecemealed out.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1258 on: December 05, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

Oh yeah.  German tanks were notorious for falling apart on the road.  I think I read once that in a regular Tiger company of 14 tanks, you'd have enough running to equip a platoon of 4.  In addition you had the predations of Allied fighter bombers that whittled the numbers down, but mechanical failures were rampant.  Russian tanks did not have this problem...there were very few things on the you couldn't work on with a sledgehammer!

And this doesn't even get into the problem of many tanks being overloaded.  The engine on the Tiger was too small for the weight it had to move.  They used this same engine on the Panther which also dropped several tonnes of armour and thus was a rather maneuverable tank.  Then they put this same engine on the King Tiger and added twentysome tonnes to the Tiger's weight.  (Lets not even get into the Jagdtiger which until the M1 Abrams was pretty much the heaviest tank ever actually used in combat). 

And I think the Tigers could not use the same tracks on and off the road and needed to stop and switch them.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1259 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »

I could write a long response but I don't want to clog up the TV Show thread with too much tank talk... Wink...but that is absolutely correct.  A large part of German tank superiority comes from the fact that to most Americans, the war started on June 6th 1944 when Tom Hanks hit the beaches and was pretty much over after he killed the only remaining Tiger tank with his .45.  In this period, the German tanks were in fact superior to pretty much every one else...so long as you discount the Russian front since that ended with the bizarre sex scene in Enemy at the Gates.  (In the same period - June - August 1944 the US, Brits, and Canadians were getting off the Normandy peninsula whereas the Russians had destroyed Army Group Center and had pushed deep into Poland.)  Otherwise, from 1939-1940 the French and British had superior tanks to the Germans, on the main, but they were poorly handled and piecemealed out.

I meant to comment on this before, but was too busy and got reminded of your post thinking about your pop's way with words.

Dude, I could totally see you writing some insane novelized WWII text. Working in scenes from various WWII flicks and stuff. A historical, satirical, WWII movie fan-fict opus. It could be pretty awesome.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: