OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 80130 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »

You, IIRC, are the English Major, but I think English language writing has toiled for too long under yoke of "realism", and fantasy in a weird manner hyper-compensates for its lack of cred and offers less of a fantasy world than an alternate overly realized tedium. Hence all the stupidities of Tolkien and I guess this TV show / book series to have "real languages", elaborate histories, etc. It's nearly as formulaic a writing as there was.
You have really hit the nail. Fantasy "realism" is unbearable. Compared to real history, it's 2-dimensional; compared to real mythologies and cultures, it's anemic and cliched. The whole Dorthraki thing is such a white man's half-ass appropriation of half a dozen stereotyped "oriental" cultures. Translated onto TV it's a bunch of Burning Man kids acting "tribal".

So many modern fantasists claim Dunsany as an influence, but Dunsany just wanted to tell beautiful stories with beautiful language- he couldn't care less about being realistic, believable, etc., and as a result his world is far more engrossing and "real."
What's this Robert Jordan fellow all about?

Had some co-worker a long time ago that read him.

LOL! It's the likes of him who make the pubescent fantasies of Martin seem "adult" to the perpetual prepubescents who eat his stuff up.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1126 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

You, IIRC, are the English Major, but I think English language writing has toiled for too long under yoke of "realism", and fantasy in a weird manner hyper-compensates for its lack of cred and offers less of a fantasy world than an alternate overly realized tedium. Hence all the stupidities of Tolkien and I guess this TV show / book series to have "real languages", elaborate histories, etc. It's nearly as formulaic a writing as there was.
You have really hit the nail. Fantasy "realism" is unbearable. Compared to real history, it's 2-dimensional; compared to real mythologies and cultures, it's anemic and cliched. The whole Dorthraki thing is such a white man's half-ass appropriation of half a dozen stereotyped "oriental" cultures. Translated onto TV it's a bunch of Burning Man kids acting "tribal".

So many modern fantasists claim Dunsany as an influence, but Dunsany just wanted to tell beautiful stories with beautiful language- he couldn't care less about being realistic, believable, etc., and as a result his world is far more engrossing and "real."
What's this Robert Jordan fellow all about?

Had some co-worker a long time ago that read him.
Only an awesome writer.  Wheel of Time series.  Nuff said.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1127 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »

Game of Thrones, season 3.

I probably should read the books first, but I'm actually enjoying most of the story lines (I really don't care about Jon Snow and his love interest).

The whole show is pretty stupid, but I guess your penchant for CGI, dragons, and modern Hollywood magic blinds you to this.

The books are worse. The imaginative faculty of anyone who enjoys such prose must resemble that of a dung beetle.

But to your point, the actors all around in the series are pretty bad, but the hack playing the John Snow character does take the case for some of the worst line reading ever.

Sure the midget is OK, but far less nuanced than the > 35 BMI crowd would suggest.

I never said it was genius or cutting edge or anything of the like. I'm pretty surprised I have enjoyed it since I spent a fair amount of time trashing it.  Finally, I took the time to actually watch it and retracted most of what I had said.

Maybe a better actor would improve Jon Snow, but I just don't like his storyline especially concerning his willing love interest.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1128 on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

Hey norm, what do you think of House and Dawson's Creek?

I don't think you would like Dr. house much maybe I'm wrong.

Also Buffy Complete is up on Amazon for 100, should I buy?

I'm not norm, but if you have Hulu or Netflix, I'd pass. The complete series of Buffy and Angel are on both.

I was just thinking that -- well, the Netflix part. (I've pretty much lost track of Hulu in the last few years.)

Buffy is a rough start. And since it changed TV for all time, it doesn't pop like it did then. The general consensus is probably to skip season one. Maybe start in season two, some would argue three, but that seems like madness to me.

I really don't care. Just watch through season 3. It is only like 32 hours of your life after all.

I found it hard at first to get into Season 1, but looking back I think it's best to watch it all in order.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1129 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »

Why did Orthonorm come back? Was it just to keep telling people they're not allowed to enjoy anything?

If it is allowed, it cannot be enjoyed.

You are welcome.

If it feels good, don't do it.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1130 on: October 09, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »

I enjoy Lord Dunsany's use of language very much.  His choice of a particular word can add nuance and meaning in a wonderful way.  Which authors in particular are you thinking of who claim his influence, if I may ask?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1131 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

Going out on a limb:

Orphan Black

With all the same caveats of when Buffy first started and Veronica Mars.

Sorta picks up pieces from Dollhouse.

The actress playing the clones is rough at first but learns to much more versatile than the forever wooden Dushku.

Sure some of the casting is off, yes the acting is rather broad, the production pretty much pan by numbers, and arguably has "adult themes" pried into the show, but a decent storyline all the same and the the plot picks up quickly and seeing Maslany go from wincingly bad to pretty decent over the course of 10 episodes is interesting.

If you like rooting for the girl who got screwed over by the man, which I can't seem to resist save for that The Girl Who vile trash, this is for you, for now.

And hey, go Canmerican productions via the BBC!

Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #1132 on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »

Attack on Titan, it may just be favourite anime above Fullmetal alchemist 2003.

Thank you.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1133 on: October 12, 2013, 01:40:08 AM »

I watched the Frontline/ESPN story on the NFL Concussion Crisis:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1134 on: October 12, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »

I watched the Frontline/ESPN story on the NFL Concussion Crisis:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

I saw that too. I'm not sure how much longer football can survive the way it's played today. And I'm not sure what rule changes could make any real difference without radically altering the game as we know it. But I guess if big tobacco could survive, football can too.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1135 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

I watched a clip of Roots the other night, it was unwatchable.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1136 on: October 12, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »

I like 'Too Cute.' Gosh, it's sweet.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1137 on: October 13, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

The Hollow Crown made up of Richard II, Henry IV Pt. 1, Henry IV, Pt. 2 and Henry V which has a rather splendid cast and the man playing Falstaff, Simon Russell Beale, is exceedingly good. Ben Wishaw is Richard, Rory Kinnear is the younger Henry Bolinbroke and Patrick Stewart is John of Gaunt in the first program.  Jeremy Irons is King Henry IV on the two middle plays and Tom Hiddleston is Prince Hal/Henry V.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1138 on: October 13, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »

The Hollow Crown made up of Richard II, Henry IV Pt. 1, Henry IV, Pt. 2 and Henry V which has a rather splendid cast and the man playing Falstaff, Simon Russell Beale, is exceedingly good. Ben Wishaw is Richard, Rory Kinnear is the younger Henry Bolinbroke and Patrick Stewart is John of Gaunt in the first program.  Jeremy Irons is King Henry IV on the two middle plays and Tom Hiddleston is Prince Hal/Henry V.  

What network is this on?  Smiley Sounds awesome.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1139 on: October 13, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »

It's on PBS' "Great Performances" 

It is pretty awesome with filming in old castles, a cathedral and out of doors for battles. These aren't "casts of thousands" but that's OK 
The French characters in Henry V are played by French actors which is nicely done and Mistress Quickly is Julie Walters. 

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1140 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »

It is awesome. It is also all on YouTube. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1141 on: October 13, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »

new PBS series Genealogy Roadshow: http://www.pbs.org/program/genealogy-roadshow/

Proverbs 22:7
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1142 on: October 13, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

Thanks for that, I didn't know it was on Youtube.  I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1143 on: October 13, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

Watching the Bucs-Eagles game.

spcasuncoast.org
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1144 on: October 13, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »

Chiefs vs. Raiders.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1145 on: October 13, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

What network is this on?  Smiley Sounds awesome.

Yes.  We also have a "Roku" box attached to the TV which sends things like Netflix directly there. One of the free channels is PBS and The Hollow Crown is for the next few weeks there, too.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:52:42 PM by Ebor » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1146 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37:40 AM »

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Good stuff!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1147 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:54 AM »

I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.

Henry V naturally gets more press because it's the only part of the series that has been done as an independent movie. Not fond of either Olivier's or Branagh's versions, but this one felt just right. Probably because it was in context.

Also, last night I caught By Any Means, and I'm intrigued enough to look up previous episodes. It may seem derivative as an idea, but it was the very Britishness of it that particularly appealed to me.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1148 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »

Good stuff!

I like him a lot. The new show is basically the same as No Reservations but with better cinematography. Has anyone noticed that the advertisements for the show keep using a scene from Gergeti monastery in Georgia? I am hoping he is actually going to do a Georgia episode.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1149 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »

Thanks for that, I didn't know it was on Youtube.  I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.

If you can, I recommend that you watch the whole series in order.  The contrast between Richard II in the beginning through to Henry IV and the development and change in Prince Hal who then becomes King Henry V is brilliantly done. 

Seeing them all in the span of three weeks or so really helped one to understand the connections as well as how many lines and phrases are part of English language: "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown"  "Once more into the breach" "This scepter'd isle" "at the turn of the tide" "Band of brothers" and many more.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1150 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »

Sky News: Focusing on the US shutdown.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1151 on: October 14, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

Walking Dead season premiere... Zombie virus has gone airborne............ That's not good

Oh and there was a scene where the Zombie's are falling through a roof and on top of the good guys. it was sort of  "raining Zombies"...Very well done. They must be earning money on the series because the production values for that scene was very high. Not your usual schlock.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1152 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »

Lightning-Sabres game.

spcasuncoast.org
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1153 on: October 14, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »

One odd coincidence/connection between The Hollow Crown and a program that I had mentioned on this thread earlier Pie in the Sky the British program about a police detective who also cooks and has a restaurant:  Richard Griffiths who played Henry Crabbe the detective is in Henry V as the Duke of Burgundy, one of his last roles.  Meanwhile in the part of the Archbishop of Canterbury is Malcolm Sinclair who was Henry Crabbe's conniving boss ACC Fisher (he has gravitas and dignity in Shakespeare that Fisher lacks).

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1154 on: October 14, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »

Hahaha, people think that ASOIAF isn't good writing.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1155 on: October 14, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »

Frasier
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1156 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Roseanne

Still funny, clever and witty. If I could get me a woman half the smart as Roseanne, but with a different body I'd be set for life.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1157 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »

Frasier

+1

One of my favorites.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1158 on: October 15, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »

Good stuff!

I like him a lot. The new show is basically the same as No Reservations but with better cinematography. Has anyone noticed that the advertisements for the show keep using a scene from Gergeti monastery in Georgia? I am hoping he is actually going to do a Georgia episode.

No, I didn't notice. Very cool!

I loved the recent episode on Israel. Talk about, "I laughed and I cried."

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1159 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »

Agents of SHIELD.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1160 on: October 18, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

Agents of SHIELD.

Do you like it?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1161 on: October 18, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »

Actually, yes. Nice to see they can do something decent without spending billions on special effects. And Coulson is great.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1162 on: October 18, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »

Bourdain isn't as interesting as I hoped he would be.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1163 on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »

Actually, yes. Nice to see they can do something decent without spending billions on special effects. And Coulson is great.

I've been waiting for more than a handful of episodes to appear before checking it out. As I've said, I like nearly all of Whedon's stuff, The Avengers being a huge exception. If the show manages to work in a large arc, I'll probably be a sucker for it.

Michal, to ask a dumb question, what is some good TV coming out of your area? I've really been remiss in checking out TV from EE and am not sure where to start. It would have to popular enough to find it subtitled in English or German for me to watch it.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1164 on: October 18, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »

Michal, to ask a dumb question, what is some good TV coming out of your area? I've really been remiss in checking out TV from EE and am not sure where to start. It would have to popular enough to find it subtitled in English or German for me to watch it.

"Czas honoru"

The only one modern Polish show that is not considered complete trash AFAIK.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:22:16 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1165 on: October 18, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »

"Alasken Women Looking for Love"

They bring down a dozen Women from far nowhere Alaska to Miami. Slim pickens for them back home. Better than it sounds Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1166 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »

Sleepy Hollow. Need my dark fantasy fix.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1167 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »

I'm having trouble finding them on Youtube!  What am I doing wrong?  Sad

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1168 on: October 20, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

Shark Tank on ABC
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1169 on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »

Lots of football.  Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: