OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 63956 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1080 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

Orthonorm why didn't you like The Wire Season 3?Huh?

I understand Season 5, although I liked it

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1081 on: September 28, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

Well I made a post but it's gone now, strange.

Anywho, orthonorm why didn't you like Season 3 of the Wire? I can understand Season 5 but not that.

I didn't necessarily not "like" it. But it was much lower quality than the rest of the series. They just didn't know how to get out of the Barksdale / Bell plot arc and move on, so they took characters and made one of their ends a caricature.

Start with the Black Muslim assassin making friends with Robin Hood who nearly killed him last season but decide there can be honor among evil men and join to kill the Art of War reading, Samurai Sword having street tough turn millionaire who got scammed by white property investors all the while taking Econ 101 at evening school who was sold out by his more street smart drug slinging partner.

Those are a few of the cliches / eye rollable elements.

Just the corpse scene. They literally lay him out like Christ and have a dove or two scattering when McNulty walks in. I think (IIRC) the lighting smacks of chiaroscuro emphasizing the "classical" death scene. Then cut to the interior of his ghetto-tasteful Japanese fusion apartment, where McNulty is like: "man who really was the man behind the man we were hunting . . . gosh."

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1082 on: September 28, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »

Which just made season four all the better I guess.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1083 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

I didn't necessarily not "like" it. But it was much lower quality than the rest of the series. They just didn't know how to get out of the Barksdale / Bell plot arc and move on, so they took characters and made one of their ends a caricature.

Start with the Black Muslim assassin making friends with Robin Hood who nearly killed him last season but decide there can be honor among evil men and join to kill the Art of War reading, Samurai Sword having street tough turn millionaire who got scammed by white property investors all the while taking Econ 101 at evening school who was sold out by his more street smart drug slinging partner.

Stringer Bell seemed too intelligent to make the kind of mistakes he did at the tail end of the season, however I wonder if David Simon felt a need to make right of the betrayal Bell did to Avon. I don't see why Omar wouldn't want to team up with that NOI brother because that would move him even closer to the king on the chess board, Avon himself and to take over his organization.

Bell would have been wiser as far as how he tried to force Avon out but maybe that would have been seen as unrealistic? Didn't see a problem with the macroeconomics class he took, I mean obviously he wanted to expand the drug market.

IIRC season 3 was also about police bureaucracy? Maybe I'm thinking Season 4 where Bunny has a free trade zone setup on one block and reduces crimes on the corners. Now that was really fascinating to me.

Just the corpse scene. They literally lay him out like Christ and have a dove or two scattering when McNulty walks in. I think (IIRC) the lighting smacks of chiaroscuro emphasizing the "classical" death scene. Then cut to the interior of his ghetto-tasteful Japanese fusion apartment, where McNulty is like: "man who really was the man behind the man we were hunting . . . gosh."
LOL.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1084 on: September 28, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

Stringer Bell seemed too intelligent to make the kind of mistakes he did at the tail end of the season, however I wonder if David Simon felt a need to make right of the betrayal Bell did to Avon. I don't see why Omar wouldn't want to team up with that NOI brother because that would move him even closer to the king on the chess board, Avon himself and to take over his organization.

Bell would have been wiser as far as how he tried to force Avon out but maybe that would have been seen as unrealistic? Didn't see a problem with the macroeconomics class he took, I mean obviously he wanted to expand the drug market.

IIRC season 3 was also about police bureaucracy? Maybe I'm thinking Season 4 where Bunny has a free trade zone setup on one block and reduces crimes on the corners. Now that was really fascinating to me.

LOL.

See, you can't even keep that storyline contextualized. It is the same season.

Hamsterdam also verged on the scifi.

Season three is arguably the most pedantic.

Is it better than 99% of everything else ever made for TV, yes. But . . .

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1085 on: September 28, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »

Were you thrown off by Season 2? Most people who watch the Wire were surprised by how much a turn the show took.

It might actually be my favorite season, love how it ended with the question mark above the Greek.

I thought Season 4 could have done a much better job with the problems of the school system.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1086 on: September 28, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »

Were you thrown off by Season 2? Most people who watch the Wire were surprised by how much a turn the show took.

It might actually be my favorite season, love how it ended with the question mark above the Greek.

I thought Season 4 could have done a much better job with the problems of the school system.

I really liked it and showed that show had promise of not turning into a procedural drama. It is the season heavily edit on BET though. You get the bit of the Bell / Barksdale plot, but all that white workingman stuff is out along with the chokti grandpa gangster.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:04:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1087 on: September 28, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »

Season 4 was my favorite of the Wire.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1088 on: September 28, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »

I am not sure how any sane person could say otherwise. That's without grading on a curve for all the child talent. Cause you don't have to. I am not sure I've ever seen so many kids in a show (real kids, no adults playing them) deliver such fine performances.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1089 on: September 28, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »

I am not sure how any sane person could say otherwise. That's without grading on a curve for all the child talent. Cause you don't have to. I am not sure I've ever seen so many kids in a show (real kids, no adults playing them) deliver such fine performances.

Certainly it has the best version of the opening music.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1090 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »

Has anyone here properly mocked Elementary?

I get chills of the summer's eve variety thinking about it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1091 on: September 28, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »

What TV are you watching now? Anything new? Out of the way?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1092 on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »

Certainly it has the best version of the opening music.
True.

Season 2 a close second. OG.

I actually enjoyed Season 5 regardless if David wrote himself in the story to be invincible. Got the media controlling our reality by way of the knowledge they dispense and distorting the truth.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:18:00 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1093 on: September 29, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »

Asteriktos, it's good to see you so morally absolutist and outraged (referring to your post a few pages back).

I saw Walt as evil season 1 episode 1.
Walt was desperate and acting somewhat understandably during S1E1.

In cooking crystal meth?
Cooking meth is the novelty that drives the show, but what’s normal is Walt’s freak out about having cancer and being more or less broke. People do stupid and illegal things when they get scared.

Maybe it's because I live in a high poverty area where I can see these sorts of things play out often enough, but it doesn't seem that strange to me.

It's established in the show that Walter could have gotten the money from Gray Matter.

I am with you Willie. The subjective pain of someone becoming some barometer by which to grade their behavior is played out under the umbrella of investigating the so-called American anti-hero. Even worse is when some veneer of nonsensical honor is draped around the sociopathy: like taking care of one's family and being a "man".

Hitler loved his dog. Murderers often have bad childhoods. CEOs want to send the great grand kids to good resorts.

Great. We can be sad for that and still put a bullet in their heads.

But the greatest criticism of Breaking Bad are the numerous plot holes which never get dealt with and the relatively simple dramatic structure that tires pretty quickly of poor self-absorbed Jesse having to be coddled by psychopath daddy Walt.

Interesting enough that I catch up once and a while. Better than most TV for whatever that is worth. One thing is for sure, nothing in the show is edifying. Pure and dumb entertainment. And it is OK for that.

Am I the only one who thinks that acting in the so-called "good old" movies was terrible? Take any of the "classics" like Gone With the Wind" and the acting is HORRIBLE. It seemed extremely forced, artificial, and unreal. Modern movies have at least one advantage over most of their predecessors: better acting.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1094 on: September 29, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »

What TV are you watching now? Anything new? Out of the way?

Nothing really worth mentioning. I tried watching that new show The Bridge but I had to stop after the first few episodes- it could have been great but it stubbornly wallows in Law and Order mediocrity.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1095 on: September 29, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »

BBC's 'Countryfile' looking at Shropshire's annual Ludlow food and drink festival.

Just watching the ram being taken to tup the ewes. Shropshire sheep are tree friendly and good for conservation purposes and the meat goes down a treat too.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1096 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »

Asteriktos, it's good to see you so morally absolutist and outraged (referring to your post a few pages back).

I saw Walt as evil season 1 episode 1.
Walt was desperate and acting somewhat understandably during S1E1.

In cooking crystal meth?
Cooking meth is the novelty that drives the show, but what’s normal is Walt’s freak out about having cancer and being more or less broke. People do stupid and illegal things when they get scared.

Maybe it's because I live in a high poverty area where I can see these sorts of things play out often enough, but it doesn't seem that strange to me.

It's established in the show that Walter could have gotten the money from Gray Matter.

I am with you Willie. The subjective pain of someone becoming some barometer by which to grade their behavior is played out under the umbrella of investigating the so-called American anti-hero. Even worse is when some veneer of nonsensical honor is draped around the sociopathy: like taking care of one's family and being a "man".
I feel like the show is definitely aware of how evil Walt is and how thin his excuses are. This is made fairly explicit in the final episode when Walter, in his last hours, admits to Skyler that he was really doing it all for himself. He was a proud and selfish man, and his nobility was just a satisfying self-delusion. While the show goes through effort to make Walter sympathetic early on, that was more of a bait-and-switch operation than anything.
But the greatest criticism of Breaking Bad are the numerous plot holes which never get dealt with and the relatively simple dramatic structure that tires pretty quickly of poor self-absorbed Jesse having to be coddled by psychopath daddy Walt.
Plot holes tend not to bug me that much, but I honestly can't say I've noticed any notable ones in Breaking Bad. I guess I see your point about the Walt/Jesse relationship developing too slowly, but it certainly isn't static, and neither are their characters. It never got tiresome to me, but that's subjective.
Interesting enough that I catch up once and a while. Better than most TV for whatever that is worth. One thing is for sure, nothing in the show is edifying. Pure and dumb entertainment. And it is OK for that.
I think you're selling it short there. The show, as I see it, is ultimately about the failure of rationalistic thinking. The Red Egg Review had an interesting article about the subject.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:18:43 PM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #1097 on: September 30, 2013, 10:53:13 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that acting in the so-called "good old" movies was terrible? Take any of the "classics" like Gone With the Wind" and the acting is HORRIBLE. It seemed extremely forced, artificial, and unreal. Modern movies have at least one advantage over most of their predecessors: better acting.

There is something that makes it considerably harder to suspend disbelief in older films and TV shows that simply isn't present in newer stuff.

Maybe it's not the quality of the acting itself, but rather the style? IDK, and even though I can usually overlook it I still don't particularly like it.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1098 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »

Watching MSNBC

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1099 on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »

Libera nos, Domine...  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1100 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »

There is something that makes it considerably harder to suspend disbelief in older films and TV shows that simply isn't present in newer stuff.

Maybe it's not the quality of the acting itself, but rather the style? IDK, and even though I can usually overlook it I still don't particularly like it.

Actors, back then, had mostly theatrical training and tended to ham it up. It took time, and the building of a cinematic training tradition, to learn the understatement necessary for close-up action. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1101 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »

The Perambulating Deceased starts up again soon.  That show has been hit or miss.  The hits have been like a Daneaxe through butter.  The misses have been As The World Turns.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1102 on: October 07, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »

Hannibal

The Top

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1103 on: October 08, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

New season of ' Walking Dead' starts this Sunday..

I may not want all the stress

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1104 on: October 08, 2013, 04:30:27 PM »

Game of Thrones, season 3.

I probably should read the books first, but I'm actually enjoying most of the story lines (I really don't care about Jon Snow and his love interest).

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1105 on: October 08, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »

I probably should read the books first, but I'm actually enjoying most of the story lines (I really don't care about Jon Snow and his love interest).

Too bad, because he becomes more and more important as more heads roll. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1106 on: October 08, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

The whole show is pretty stupid, but I guess your penchant for CGI, dragons, and modern Hollywood magic blinds you to this.

The books are worse. The imaginative faculty of anyone who enjoys such prose must resemble that of a dung beetle.

But to your point, the actors all around in the series are pretty bad, but the hack playing the John Snow character does take the case for some of the worst line reading ever.

Sure the midget is OK, but far less nuanced than the > 35 BMI crowd would suggest.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1107 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

Watching MSNBC
Giant surprise.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1108 on: October 08, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »

The books are worse. The imaginative faculty of anyone who enjoys such prose must resemble that of a dung beetle.

Thank you thank you thank you. Why is the writing in so much genre fantasy so... unimaginative?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1109 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:44 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you. Why is the writing in so much genre fantasy so... unimaginative?
Fairy tales are better.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1110 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »

I was being a jerk about the TV show, but really the books are terrible. The TV show ain't bad for entertainment (it could move a little more quickly), I just can't seem to find the superlatives others do though for it. It's OK.

You, IIRC, are the English Major, but I think English language writing has toiled for too long under yoke of "realism", and fantasy in a weird manner hyper-compensates for its lack of cred and offers less of a fantasy world than an alternate overly realized tedium. Hence all the stupidities of Tolkien and I guess this TV show / book series to have "real languages", elaborate histories, etc. It's nearly as formulaic a writing as there was. Its writing by numbers, literally. Hence all the aspy hangers-on. (Sci-fi splits here and some offers a way out of the tyranny of the real, I think.)

I tend to blame everything bad about English Lit on Hemingway. But you would need a few beers first and we would need some neon and shuffling drunks around us for me to even begin with my theory.

Where's our Kafka? A Penguin book cover tells me, if I am poor or working (is there a difference in America?) it is Philip K. Dick.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1111 on: October 08, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »

Philip K. Dick.
Always wondered what you thought about PKD...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1112 on: October 08, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »

Why did Orthonorm come back? Was it just to keep telling people they're not allowed to enjoy anything?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1113 on: October 08, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Why did Orthonorm come back? Was it just to keep telling people they're not allowed to enjoy anything?

If it is allowed, it cannot be enjoyed.

You are welcome.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1114 on: October 08, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »

We prayed desperately in need of the tween TV Guide, and norm heard our cries.

People overrate new TV Shows too much.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1115 on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »

You are welcome.
So the Amish girl in chemo is having much more to enjoy than myself. This must be fixed!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1116 on: October 08, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »

You are welcome.
So the Amish girl in chemo is having much more to enjoy than myself. This must be fixed!

It's OK. You have plenty of enjoyment. See all your would-be soul mates.

To keep this on topic.

I might watch some Kubrick soon. I was thinking The Shining. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Just saw the trailer cut for it by Kubrick himself a few months back, awesome.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1117 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »

I might watch some Kubrick soon. I was thinking The Shining. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Just saw the trailer cut for it by Kubrick himself a few months back, awesome.
Barry Lyndon.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1118 on: October 08, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »

Barry Lyndon.

Never seen it. And it wasn't in the incomplete Kubrik box set I picked up for nothing at the DVD and video game for crack exchange.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:54:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1119 on: October 08, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »

Barry Lyndon.

Never seen it. And it wasn't in the incomplete Kubrik box set I picked up for nothing at the DVD and video game for crack exchange.

Thanks for the rec though. I'll download it. Can't believe this space exists in my brain.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1120 on: October 08, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »

Barry Lyndon.

I've yet to see Lolita. But BL is a beautiful film.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1121 on: October 08, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »

You, IIRC, are the English Major, but I think English language writing has toiled for too long under yoke of "realism", and fantasy in a weird manner hyper-compensates for its lack of cred and offers less of a fantasy world than an alternate overly realized tedium. Hence all the stupidities of Tolkien and I guess this TV show / book series to have "real languages", elaborate histories, etc. It's nearly as formulaic a writing as there was.
You have really hit the nail. Fantasy "realism" is unbearable. Compared to real history, it's 2-dimensional; compared to real mythologies and cultures, it's anemic and cliched. The whole Dorthraki thing is such a white man's half-ass appropriation of half a dozen stereotyped "oriental" cultures. Translated onto TV it's a bunch of Burning Man kids acting "tribal".

So many modern fantasists claim Dunsany as an influence, but Dunsany just wanted to tell beautiful stories with beautiful language- he couldn't care less about being realistic, believable, etc., and as a result his world is far more engrossing and "real."

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1122 on: October 08, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »

Barry Lyndon.

Thanks for the rec though. I'll download it. Can't believe this space exists in my brain.

Oh this is TV. I'll watch a TV broadcast of it.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »

You, IIRC, are the English Major, but I think English language writing has toiled for too long under yoke of "realism", and fantasy in a weird manner hyper-compensates for its lack of cred and offers less of a fantasy world than an alternate overly realized tedium. Hence all the stupidities of Tolkien and I guess this TV show / book series to have "real languages", elaborate histories, etc. It's nearly as formulaic a writing as there was.
You have really hit the nail. Fantasy "realism" is unbearable. Compared to real history, it's 2-dimensional; compared to real mythologies and cultures, it's anemic and cliched. The whole Dorthraki thing is such a white man's half-ass appropriation of half a dozen stereotyped "oriental" cultures. Translated onto TV it's a bunch of Burning Man kids acting "tribal".

So many modern fantasists claim Dunsany as an influence, but Dunsany just wanted to tell beautiful stories with beautiful language- he couldn't care less about being realistic, believable, etc., and as a result his world is far more engrossing and "real."
What's this Robert Jordan fellow all about?

Had some co-worker a long time ago that read him.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1124 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »

Over of handful of beers we'll sort all this out. I gotta an entire theory which occurs under the appropriate circumstances.

But dude, it is hard to watch show and not sit there and read it as a tumescent reactionary screed.

I like the little girl. I hope she kills lotsa people.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: