OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:53:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 63002 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1035 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »

Firefly on Netflix.  I know, I am behind the times.

I watched the pilot last month. Thought I would get into, but so far I haven't.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »

Chiefs - Eagles.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »

I'm always watching

Scrubs,

30 Rock

Arrested Development

Parks and Recreation

All on Netflix.

I like 30 Rock and Arrested Development. (Though I'm not so sure about the latest A.D.)

I've seen a bit of Scrubs, but it never quite pulled me in.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »

Great comedian in general, but I never cared too much for him on that show.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1039 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

So the Steelers game is on tonight, as is the 2nd to last episode of Breaking Bad.  I guess I could watch the Steelers game and then watch the rebroadcast of Breaking Bad at 11:45... but what happens if the Steelers stink again? Then I will be trapped watching them. What a nightmare this could be.

Let's go Steelers!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1040 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

Have been rewatching the 3rd season of The Walking Dead at about 2-4 episodes a day, and it is much more interesting this way. I hope they don't split up into various groups in Season 4... it's just hard to get much done with any one group when you are trying to give significant screen time to multiple ones.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1041 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »

So the Steelers game is on tonight, as is the 2nd to last episode of Breaking Bad.  I guess I could watch the Steelers game and then watch the rebroadcast of Breaking Bad at 11:45... but what happens if the Steelers stink again? Then I will be trapped watching them. What a nightmare this could be.

Let's go Steelers!

It's the first to the last episode and you passed up an opportunity to use penultimate.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1042 on: September 22, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »

Let's go Steelers!

It's the first to the last episode and you passed up an opportunity to use penultimate.

I want nothing to do with Latin or its word-children  Angry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1043 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »

Breaking Bad [spoilers] -->  I can't believe Walt was ready to turn himself in and then Elliot and Gretchen were the thing that changed it. Now it's on. Loved the intro music played at the end of the episode, great touch. I honestly thought Jesse was going to get away. I am going to kill Todd for killing Andrea. I'm going to kill him dead. I loved the way Todd was picking fuzz or whatever off of Lydia. Also, to the entire internets, I TOLD YOU SO about how the phone call last week was not going to get Skylar off scot free or even take the heat off of her. Every single freaking place I went everyone was saying how smart Walt was. Oh yeah, really smart saying that Skylar knew about his illegal and dangerous activities, and essentially saying that he had murdered Hank. That worked really well in helping Skylar out.  Anyway, so yeah. Can't wait for next week. <--
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1044 on: September 23, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »

Have been rewatching the 3rd season of The Walking Dead at about 2-4 episodes a day, and it is much more interesting this way. I hope they don't split up into various groups in Season 4... it's just hard to get much done with any one group when you are trying to give significant screen time to multiple ones.
I decided to watch Breaking Bad and the second half of the game. It was all very worthwhile.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1045 on: September 23, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »

After the dreadful start to the game I ended up watching all of Breaking Bad and then going back to the game, just in time to get my hopes up that they might make a come back, only to have them dashed. Bah.

Also, I'm really getting sick of people calling Jesse a wuss and saying he's emo and all that crap. I understand the Uncle Jack character  doing so; I'm talking about people on the internet.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1046 on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »

Let's go Steelers!

Then I guess it won't do any good to tell you about the word antepenultimate  Wink Cheesy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1047 on: September 23, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

Let's go Steelers!

Then I guess it won't do any good to tell you about the word antepenultimate  Wink Cheesy.

I remember it from Wheelocks... or was it another book...   well either way... begone!  Tongue
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1048 on: September 23, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

Dragons: Riders of Berk.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1049 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »

Let's go Steelers!

This is now going to be used in my real life till someone asks me what it means or calls me an idiot. Given the general pitiful state of humanity I am surrounded by, this will be the last word my mortal coil springs.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1050 on: September 23, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »

Let's go Steelers!

This is now going to be used in my real life till someone asks me what it means or calls me an idiot. Given the general pitiful state of humanity I am surrounded by, this will be the last word my mortal coil springs.

This is why people in America pronounce filioque erroneously!

Even those with PhDs in Latin. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1051 on: September 24, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

When is "Dangerous Grounds" coming back on?

"The Americans" isnt back until Jan 2014

That's what happens when a show is too good for cable..They just cant pull it together fast enough production wise.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1052 on: September 24, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

That's what happens when a show is too good for cable..They just cant pull it together fast enough production wise.

I enjoyed that show thoroughly.  It annoyed me to no end when I learned I'd have to wait that long for new episodes.  I watched the whole first season again, but it wasn't enough. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1053 on: September 24, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »

I've never heard of that.  Is it about poisonous coffee? Cool

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1054 on: September 24, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »

The insider is back . . .

marc, do you pay attention to the pretty much standard cable season offset from so called network programming?

Too good for cable?

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1055 on: September 24, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

I'm going to miss the premiere of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight... Sad sad day.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1056 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »

Another one, not nearly as good, but as a follow up...

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1057 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

I've never heard of that.  Is it about poisonous coffee? Cool

It follows Todd Carmichael around the world as he hunts for the best grade coffee to use at his chain of coffee houses La Colombe.

He has to go to dangerous areas like in Haiti and Ethiopia and Columbia and go high up into the hills to find a farmer willing to sell directly to his company. He has to navigate around corrupt officials and local gangs etc.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:05:09 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1058 on: September 25, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

skip
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1059 on: September 25, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »

Asteriktos, it's good to see you so morally absolutist and outraged (referring to your post a few pages back).

I saw Walt as evil season 1 episode 1. Meth is bad. I wanted to make sure going into this show that I'm in it for the suspense, not to sympathize with felons.

I love the new Nazi characters. I think they're my favorite villains. More down-to-earth to Fring, but more evil and badass, too.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1060 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »

I saw Walt as evil season 1 episode 1. Meth is bad. I wanted to make sure going into this show that I'm in it for the suspense, not to sympathize with felons.

When I was in jail, you were callous toward me.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1061 on: September 25, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »

Asteriktos, it's good to see you so morally absolutist and outraged (referring to your post a few pages back).

I saw Walt as evil season 1 episode 1.
Walt was desperate and acting somewhat understandably during S1E1. He didn't start to become evil until S2E2, though he more flirted with it than acted on it.

That's as far as I've seen, and probably as far as I will.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:13:38 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1062 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:21 AM »

Watched the season opener of Revolution this evening.  One of the computer geniuses tried to defend his wife during a group mugging and was mortally wounded.  He died with about 15 minutes remaining of the episode, but at the very end of the episode, he woke up. Undecided
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1063 on: September 26, 2013, 01:52:07 AM »

I'm going to miss the premiere of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight... Sad sad day.

I don't even have tv- internet is far more important. Agents of SHIELD is on Hulu the day after.

Not too shabby. Off to a shaky start like most Whedon projects (Firefly was the rare show where even the first episode was great), but shows a lot of promise.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1064 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »

Hey norm, what do you think of House and Dawson's Creek?

I don't think you would like Dr. house much maybe I'm wrong.

Also Buffy Complete is up on Amazon for 100, should I buy?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #1065 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »

Hey norm, what do you think of House and Dawson's Creek?

I don't think you would like Dr. house much maybe I'm wrong.

Also Buffy Complete is up on Amazon for 100, should I buy?

I'm not norm, but if you have Hulu or Netflix, I'd pass. The complete series of Buffy and Angel are on both.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1066 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »

Walt was desperate and acting somewhat understandably during S1E1.

In cooking crystal meth?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1067 on: September 26, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

Are they in 4:3 format on Netflix?

If so I'm watching

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1068 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »

If so I'm watching

4:3 is the format for watching Buffy. Europeans in their race to cultured, had the 16:9 format aired. Americans wanting to be Europeans thought 16:9 had to be better so there are recording in 16:9. (See The Shield for similar problems). The brilliant musical episode is in 16:9.

Thankfully sanity prevailed eventually (unlike in the Shield and only dumb Europeans are watching screwed up framed Buffy episodes and dumb Americans who wish they were Europeans.

Buffy is a rough start. And since it changed TV for all time, it doesn't pop like it did then. The general consensus is probably to skip season one. Maybe start in season two, some would argue three, but that seems like madness to me.

I really don't care. Just watch through season 3. It is only like 32 hours of your life after all.

And it was low budget and shot never expecting to see HD or even DVD, so the "special effects" and stunt doubles look more ridiculous the greater resoluiton you use.

So stream it, but throttle your rich-boy internet connection first.

House makes me laugh sometimes. Not worth looking at after season three. Nothing I would recommend.

Dawson, I watched every episode in German so I would know how to better relate to the German high school girl trapped inside.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #1069 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »

If so I'm watching

4:3 is the format for watching Buffy. Europeans in their race to cultured, had the 16:9 format aired. Americans wanting to be Europeans thought 16:9 had to be better so there are recording in 16:9. (See The Shield for similar problems). The brilliant musical episode is in 16:9.

Thankfully sanity prevailed eventually (unlike in the Shield and only dumb Europeans are watching screwed up framed Buffy episodes and dumb Americans who wish they were Europeans.

Buffy is a rough start. And since it changed TV for all time, it doesn't pop like it did then. The general consensus is probably to skip season one. Maybe start in season two, some would argue three, but that seems like madness to me.

I really don't care. Just watch through season 3. It is only like 32 hours of your life after all.

And it was low budget and shot never expecting to see HD or even DVD, so the "special effects" and stunt doubles look more ridiculous the greater resoluiton you use.

House makes me laugh sometimes. Not worth looking at after season three. Nothing I would recommend.

Dawson, I watched every episode in German so I would know how to better relate to the German high school girl trapped inside.

FBI, CIA, and Interpol have been notified.  Cheesy

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1070 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »

If so I'm watching

FBI, CIA, and Interpol have been notified.  Cheesy

I do want to let her out. I swear it.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1071 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »

I'm watching the first episode right now...oh the 90s...

I got all weekend to look forward to this.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1072 on: September 27, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?
Cooking meth is the novelty that drives the show, but what’s normal is Walt’s freak out about having cancer and being more or less broke. People do stupid and illegal things when they get scared.

Maybe it's because I live in a high poverty area where I can see these sorts of things play out often enough, but it doesn't seem that strange to me.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1073 on: September 27, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?
Cooking meth is the novelty that drives the show, but what’s normal is Walt’s freak out about having cancer and being more or less broke. People do stupid and illegal things when they get scared.

Maybe it's because I live in a high poverty area where I can see these sorts of things play out often enough, but it doesn't seem that strange to me.

Perhaps if they contemplated how much Jesus can bench press they would not turn to the manufacture of crystal meth. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1074 on: September 27, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?

Perhaps if they contemplated how much Jesus can bench press they would not turn to the manufacture of crystal meth. 

Using meth would probably help such contemplation.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1075 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?

Using meth would probably help such contemplation.

I really enjoyed the discussion of Star Trek's transporter system by Badger and whats-his-face... it expressed the same concerns I'd had for a while.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1076 on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?

It's established in the show that Walter could have gotten the money from Gray Matter.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1077 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »

In cooking crystal meth?

It's established in the show that Walter could have gotten the money from Gray Matter.

I am with you Willie. The subjective pain of someone becoming some barometer by which to grade their behavior is played out under the umbrella of investigating the so-called American anti-hero. Even worse is when some veneer of nonsensical honor is draped around the sociopathy: like taking care of one's family and being a "man".

Hitler loved his dog. Murderers often have bad childhoods. CEOs want to send the great grand kids to good resorts.

Great. We can be sad for that and still put a bullet in their heads.

But the greatest criticism of Breaking Bad are the numerous plot holes which never get dealt with and the relatively simple dramatic structure that tires pretty quickly of poor self-absorbed Jesse having to be coddled by psychopath daddy Walt.

Interesting enough that I catch up once and a while. Better than most TV for whatever that is worth. One thing is for sure, nothing in the show is edifying. Pure and dumb entertainment. And it is OK for that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:29:32 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1078 on: September 28, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »

Well I made a post but it's gone now, strange.

Anywho, orthonorm why didn't you like Season 3 of the Wire? I can understand Season 5 but not that.

Supposedly Breaking Bad Season 4 is supposed to be the best but I haven't really watched outside of Season 1 yet.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1079 on: September 28, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »

First week of Strictly: The hilarity was expected. The high scores were not. Eights for the noobs? From Craig, of all people? Preposterous.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: