Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 627500 times)

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4905 on: March 03, 2016, 03:12:58 AM »
I've wondered about the original version of Beowulf ... How did that translate into the movie Beowulf? ... Something of that sort.

Not very well.

The poem is a lot better.

Yeah, people don't swim on land or walk on the ocean.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:13:57 AM by WPM »

Online Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #4906 on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »

I'm about halfway through. So far, it's is a great presentation of the mystical aspects of Orthodox Christianity.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4907 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

I'm about halfway through. So far, it's is a great presentation of the mystical aspects of Orthodox Christianity.

Good book for sure.

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Abba Hezekiah, Patron of Dialogists
« Reply #4908 on: March 09, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »

I liked much the first two books with short stories. The following pentalogy, not so much.

It's been kind of an uneven reading experience for me thus far. I feel like he has good (or at least specific) ideas but does a poor job executing them at times, like he wants to talk about the concept of 'the lesser evil' but ends up doing so in a way that is too heavy-handed (esp. for a short story), or he wants to give a surprise ending, but seems to me to sacrifice believability in parts to get there. I disagree with some of his ideas as well, like that lacking faith is powerless or gains you nothing (which he's mentioned in two different stories/parts now--I'm about 2/3rds done). Yet, in spite of whatever minor stuff like that there is, I continue reading. And I'm not one to keep reading if I dislike something (or with non-fiction, if I doubt I'll get anything from it). Maybe my being heavily invested now in the video game (I'm probably ~175-200 hours into my first playthrough) is drawing me. Or that I just like medieval-ish fantasy worlds--I've also read the Dragon Age novels here and there. Eh... *shrugs*

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:09:40 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
  • Resistance is futile
  • Faith: Crypto-Universalist heresy
  • Jurisdiction: FOCIOF
« Reply #4909 on: March 14, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »

Seems to be a collection of devotional poems by four Hindu Saints. A bit of an impulse purchase but I've never read pretty much anything about Hinduism and it was just 2,90€ so what's not to love.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #4910 on: March 14, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »
"The Reaper of Zons," by Catherine Shepherd," and "The Missing and the Dead," by Stuart McBride.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4911 on: March 14, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »
A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books, by Alex Beam

Offline Rohzek

• Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #4912 on: March 15, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »
I gave up on reading Kant's book in the original German. German is my weakest language, I must admit. So it was a bit foolish of me I suppose, in retrospect, to try to read Kant, who is sorta infamous for being difficult to read. As for now, I'm reading Die Theologie des Pelagius und ihre Genesis by Torgny Bohlin. I've read excerpts of this before, but never cover-to-cover.

Finished reading Bohlin's book. Very thought provoking conclusions insofar that Bohlin concludes that there is no issue with Pelagius' theology. Not sure I entirely agree. I am considering starting a separate thread about it. Now I need to decide what I will read next: L'Homme Machine by Julien Jean Offray de Le Mettrie, Monadologie by Gottfried Leibniz, or Discours physique de la parole by Gerauld de Cordemoy.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post: L'Homme Machine: La Mettrie's Philosophy of Mind

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Resistance is futile
« Reply #4913 on: March 15, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
I gave up on reading Kant's book in the original German. German is my weakest language, I must admit. So it was a bit foolish of me I suppose, in retrospect, to try to read Kant, who is sorta infamous for being difficult to read.

You're a brave man. From what I've been told even Germans read Kant in English.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
« Reply #4914 on: March 30, 2016, 07:45:07 AM »
My English teacher said I should finish a book of fiction in English until late May or early June. Not something as "pop language" as Twilight, but no Shakespeare. I'm wondering if Bartleby the Scrivener, by Melville, is a good option. I hope it is, but it's less than 15k words long.
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #4915 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
My English teacher said I should finish a book of fiction in English until late May or early June. Not something as "pop language" as Twilight, but no Shakespeare. I'm wondering if Bartleby the Scrivener, by Melville, is a good option. I hope it is, but it's less than 15k words long.

Turns out that Amazon shows this 15K word limitation as 60 pages and cost 99 cents. I've never read it so I can't say.

I was going to recommend the American Mark Twain but he plays with dialects and would be difficult to read.
Oscar Wilde, an Irishman, wrote Picture of Dorian Grey but it is triple the size that is limited by you.

I could recommend an another American fellow who took the nom de plume of O'Henry, but he is known for short stories.
Does it have to be about 60 pages?

http://www.online-literature.com/o_henry/

And then of course there is science fiction! Issa Asimov wrote over 100 books, some smaller than others. IIRC the I, Robot stories could possibly be put into your 15K category, as each story is both independent and builds from the previous story, all to challenge the Three Laws of Robotics. If you've read this already, then you know the movie and the book share only the title.
Good luck and let us know....got to go and have a day, today, and pray it is good.
God is the life of all free beings

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4916 on: March 30, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »

Maybe Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's short and one of the most perfect novels in the language, in my opinion. Amazingly, Joseph Conrad (a Pole) didn't speak fluent English until he was in his 20's.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:22:16 AM by Iconodule »

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #4917 on: March 30, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
Actually, it should be a bit longer than 15k words. He even recommended me Conan Doyle, who has written books with about 300~400 pages, but I read one of Sherlock's books and I really couldn't force myself to like it. I will consider I, Robot, it has always been in my to-read list.
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4918 on: March 31, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Origin of Species, by Charles Darwin.

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Resistance is futile
« Reply #4919 on: April 01, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

I.e. a book about pre-Christian native faith(s) of Finns. It's fascinating to see how kind of magical people used to see the World and how traditions got mixed not too long ago. My favourite thus far are grumpy and bad-mannered kotitonttus (Don't know how to translate. Household spirit?) stealing from neighbouring farms or picking the household.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:27:44 PM by Alpo »

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #4920 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Just bought a handful of books:
  • "Commentaries on Psalms 1-50", by St. Augustine (I pretend on buying other volumes when I can)
  • Presença-Langenscheidt German Grammar
  • Presença-Langenscheidt French Grammar
  • "Truth and Juridical Forms", by Michel Foucault
  • "I, Robot", by Isaac Asimov
  • a book about Brazilian Law History
  • a book about legal acts (so boring, and I still want to review the first chapters of my civil law manual before going into that)
  • commentaries on the ordinary articles of the Brazilian Penal Code
Before that, my last acquisition was a compilation of many apocriphal books I didn't even know that had been translated into Portuguese and some editions of a girls' magazine of the 50's. What can't you find in a used bookstore?

Online Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #4921 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
Finished Mountain of Silence. It is excellent.
I think I'll start on The Way of the Pilgrim next.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4922 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »

That's an odd book to read.  Any reason for it?  I think you're best off just taking a modern life science course than doing a cold reading of Darwin.

Anyway,

doing my biennial (ish) reading of The Iliad
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:51:56 PM by William T »
Christ is risen!  Le Christ est ressuscité!  Masīḥ qām!   Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4923 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
This user's signature was deemed truth, declaring this forum is in violation of ecumenism by promoting dialog between schismatic groups such as Coptics and Roman Catholics, which can lead to confusion and the misdirection of people towards the wrong faith, Mor Ephrem. 

28 April 2016

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
« Reply #4924 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »

That's an odd book to read.  Any reason for it?  I think you're best off just taking a modern life science course than doing a cold reading of Darwin.

Anyway,

doing my biennial (ish) reading of The Iliad.
I loved Origin of Species. Darwin was a brilliant man. You don't read it as a science textbook so much as insight on the history of science.
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4925 on: April 05, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
Started "The Northern Thebaid" last night.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4926 on: April 16, 2016, 05:36:22 AM »
Reading two very interesting and well written books:

The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Larry A. Taunton
http://www.amazon.com/The-Faith-Christopher-Hitchens-Notorious/dp/0718022173

Defenders of the Unborn by Daniel K. Williams
http://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Unborn-Pro-Life-Movement-before/dp/0199391645

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4927 on: April 16, 2016, 06:15:30 AM »
Actually, it should be a bit longer than 15k words. He even recommended me Conan Doyle, who has written books with about 300~400 pages, but I read one of Sherlock's books and I really couldn't force myself to like it. I will consider I, Robot, it has always been in my to-read list.

If you're still looking, here is a list of novels around the 50K word limit.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #4928 on: April 16, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »

Thanks! But I've been reading I, Robot. 69k words. If I knew Brave New World was shorter I might have chosen it, awesome film.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #4929 on: April 16, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

Thanks! But I've been reading I, Robot. 69k words. If I knew Brave New World was shorter I might have chosen it, awesome film.

Yes, I, Robot is fun and hope you are enjoying it.
As for Brave New World, the apology to that story was the last book he ever wrote some 30 years later, Island, a rather long read but worth it, as it delineates how a society can be put together & structured for the benefit of mankind. But only when you have time (who does?)
God is the life of all free beings

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #4930 on: April 16, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »

Yes, I, Robot is fun and hope you are enjoying it.
As for Brave New World, the apology to that story was the last book he ever wrote some 30 years later, Island, a rather long read but worth it, as it delineates how a society can be put together & structured for the benefit of mankind. But only when you have time (who does?)
Awesome, maybe I'll read both of them. I have a lot of spare time, at least until public university gets its funds back, which may take up to 2017, and my job is part-time, which I don't plan to change that soon.

BNW sounds like the diametral opposite of 1984, which is often quoted in any anti-government discourse, but I'm pretty sure Huxley got it right.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:28:21 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4931 on: April 16, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
The Iliad is done, though I didn't really give it the reading it has deserved these past few years.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to give it a few more intense all encompassing engagements.  On the other hand, it's nice to know I can read Homer, Ovid, etc rather passively and halfheartedly and still derive pleasure from it.   Reading some Nabokov poems in my spare time as well as some old Elizabethan poetry.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:10:46 PM by William T »
Christ is risen!  Le Christ est ressuscité!  Masīḥ qām!   Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!

Offline Rohzek

• Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #4932 on: April 18, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »
Recently finished Leibniz' Monadology. It sucked. It was nice though, because right after finishing it, I read Julien Jean Offray de La Mettrie's L'Homme Machine, in which he said as much about Leibniz' idea of monads as well. He said it was incoherent, which is exactly how I felt. As for La Mettrie, I really enjoyed it. I didn't expect to enjoy reading an 18th century materialist philosopher, but he managed to hook me. In short, La Mettrie argued that all things are caused materially and at one point alludes to the theory that is now common in cognitive neuroscience: that things mental arise from brain states. La Mettrie admits that this seems at some level to be incompatible with material functionality, but holds out hope that it will be figured out one day. I will probably go back and revisit it, but La Mettrie's concept of Natural Law pretty much resembles Darwin's Theory of Evolution in terms of species propagation. In some sense, this makes La Mettrie an amoralist, because he doesn't take any morality seriously unless it concerns survival of some sort. Pretty fascinating stuff to say the least.

Right now I'm reading two books. Gerauld de Cordemoy's Discours physique de la parole and Alice Dreger's Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and One Scholar's Search for Justice.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post: L'Homme Machine: La Mettrie's Philosophy of Mind

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4933 on: April 19, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
https://www.academia.edu/24296468/_Liturgy_and_Music_at_Hagia_Sophia_Oxford_Research_Encyclopaedia_online_April_2016

Yet, it is the liturgy with its large congregation, officiating clergy, and numerous choirs that brought about the effect of being transported to a place in between heaven and earth. Within its walls, a rich multisensory experience was created through the integration of architecture, music, acoustics, and liturgy. The material fabric of the building and its acoustics together with the liturgy performed by Hagia Sophia’s officiating clergy and the chants sung by the choirs formed the character of the cathedral rite. The architectural form and ritual performed in this space harmonized with the Byzantine philosophical and mystagogical explanations and enabled the religious experience of nearness to the divine 

An Encyclopedia article that is remarkably detailed.  Lots to learn for me anyway.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4934 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:45 AM »

An anthology of MtA-inspired fiction. My erstwhile storyteller has a story in, too.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline jeffinjapan

• Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church
« Reply #4935 on: April 24, 2016, 11:05:52 PM »
Amazon just delivered, “Jesus, the Teacher Within” by Laurence Freeman OSB and, "Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters" by N.T. Wright

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #4936 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
Currently reading "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" by Vladimir Lossky which the priest at the Russian parish I attend lend me.

I'm nearly done with it.

There's a huge focus on Theosis and Apophatic theology throughout the book. The difference in theological approach between the East and West also pops out from time to time, particularly any contrast between St Augustine and the Eastern tradition. Sometimes he does considers certain aspects of Western theology, valid though usually that which is Pre-Schism.

I'm also interested in NT Wright's "Paul and His Recent Interpreters" which I saw at Waterstones. Sadly, I had to turn it down upon laying eyes on the price tag so I only got to read a few pages before putting it down.

My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #4937 on: May 03, 2016, 02:55:19 AM »
Stayed up too late yesterday finishing the audiobook of "The Rosary Girls" by Richard Montanari.  :o

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
« Reply #4938 on: Yesterday at 06:17:42 PM »
Just bought The Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching, by St. Irenaeus.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #4939 on: Today at 04:36:36 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4940 on: Today at 06:12:34 PM »
The Wound of Dispossession: Telling the Palestinian Story, by Kathleen Christison