Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 694372 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4950 on: May 20, 2016, 11:56:19 PM »
Astro City: Lovers Quarrel. Liked it better than I thought I would- and went from thinking that Quarrel and Crackerjack were kind of boring and generic to being a fan of both. It also had a great B-story and foreshadows some interesting things for future AC.

Now I'll likely get back to Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #4951 on: May 21, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »
Syntactic Structures by Noam Chomsky.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post: The Latin Church: Merovingians to the Hildebrand Popes

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4952 on: May 21, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »
"Merciless," Richard Montanari.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #4953 on: June 08, 2016, 03:46:05 AM »

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:49:10 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4954 on: June 08, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »

The Doors of Perception is excellent.

Selam
"If we are wiser than children, then we are fools."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #4955 on: June 08, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
I didn't care for it.  It was exactly what I thought it'd be.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4956 on: June 08, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #4957 on: June 08, 2016, 11:59:22 PM »
Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia. Time to see what all the fuss is about concerning this feminist heretic.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:23:25 AM by Rohzek »
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post: The Latin Church: Merovingians to the Hildebrand Popes

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4958 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:04 AM »
Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia. Time to see what all the fuss is about concerning this feminist heretic.

I've had that sitting on a shelf for two years.  Let me know how it is.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4959 on: June 09, 2016, 06:22:47 AM »

Paglia is an atheist. Or do you mean the fact that her version of feminism is often considered heretical?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:23:11 AM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #4960 on: June 09, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »

Paglia is an atheist. Or do you mean the fact that her version of feminism is often considered heretical?

The latter is what I mean. I'm only one chapter in and I must say some of what she says has already been validated by the field of Evolutionary Psychology. I'll take EP over Judith Butler's po-mo social-constructivist nonsense any day.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #4961 on: June 10, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4962 on: June 10, 2016, 07:15:35 AM »
I will be finishing Chris Mould's six-part Something Wickedly Weird series with the young one tonight or tomorrow. Definitely recommended for adventure-loving youngsters.

For myself, hayfever is currently doing a real number on my eyes, so I'm just going (slowly) through the first Secrets of Sophia Musgrove instalment.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

• Merarches
« Reply #4963 on: June 10, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #4964 on: June 13, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Finishing The Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching. As I was heading to work, I thought to myself: "Maybe I should buy something to read on my way back home.", and in the same second I found a huge store belonging to the publisher of this book. They have a great collection of first-hand translations of Patristics, so I entered there and bought On Genesis, by St. Augustine. I'm seriously considering working there, my expectations of making my public internship into actual work is getting sunk with the awful situation my country's in, so I'll get my curriculum there on Wednesday and see if I can get money, diversion and Christian friends all at once.  8)
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4965 on: June 13, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
2nd time going over much of this. He's a man after my own heart when writing about aesthetics, and being a man of high quality, he doesn't spend too much ink writing about aesthetics. Well worth studying if one has an interest in music:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:01:27 PM by William T »
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4966 on: June 16, 2016, 06:22:07 AM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #4967 on: June 21, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »

I've had that sitting on a shelf for two years.  Let me know how it is.

Just finished reading it. It took me a while to say the least. It's a really good book. And the author intentionally tries to be abrasive as possible in the first 40 pages to theorists whom I happen to have severe disagreements with. I was disappointed that she doesn't include a conclusion in her book, although it might be normal not to for her field. Additionally, she speaks about publishing a second volume dedicated solely to the 20th century, but she has yet to do so these 25 yrs or more later. My only problem with the book is that it becomes a bit of a chore after her discussion of Rousseau and Sade. This mostly has to do with the fact that: A.) Most of what she discusses after this point is literature rather than artwork, and B.) I'm not really all that well-adept at literature from the 19th century. In other words, being ignorant of a lot of fiction didn't really help me all that much. But when it came to artwork such as paintings and sculptures, her analysis was fascinating and accessible due solely to the fact that pictures are worth 1000 words. If you ever visit Italy or France, before going to an art museum, I suggest reading some of the relevant chapters in the book. It would be a treat. One last complaint is that she skips over almost all of the Middle Ages in her book. A big disappointment really.

As for now, I will be reading On War by Carl von Clausewitz.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4968 on: June 21, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
Bel Ami, Maupassant.

I may read Goethe's Iphigenia soon, never read it before and have always wanted to, I've had it in my travel bag all month for spare reading material.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #4969 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4970 on: July 10, 2016, 02:41:44 AM »
Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn't get used to it, though I'd been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday's hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating bare arms. His glistening, pale lavender  lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, carved in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crest

I can't stop laughing
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:44:26 AM by William T »

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #4971 on: July 12, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
The Gospel According To Moses  Check it out here. 

Though written by a Protestant I can't recommend it highly enough.  It addresses in quite a profound way a number of the doubts and issues I've been struggling with in a pithy, non-academic, down-to-earth manner.  Excellent!!!
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4972 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »
The Autobiography of Charles Darwin
Tales of Byzantium: A Selection of Short Stories, by Eileen Stephenson
Captain Blood, by Rafael Sabatini
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:50:30 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: USA
« Reply #4973 on: July 17, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »
Amazed at writing patterns from mid 19th c mid-West America:

From The History of Daviess County, Missouri:

1830 1831

It was in the early spring of the year 1830 that the first white settler trod the soil of Daviess county.   Hunters and trappers had plied their vocations through this Grand River country as early as 1826, but no log cabin reared its front until the spring of the year above mentioned. It was a grand country for game and wild honey and venturesome spirits passed to and fro ere the Indians had ceased to be jealous of the of the encroachments of the white man.  Indeed all was not peace in 1830.  A year later the celebrated Black Hawk War raised its fearful visage, and many daring spirits passed over to the land where eternity reigns, their way lighted by burning cabins, and the last sound wafted to their ears the agonizing shrieks of loved ones.

The first man to raise his cabin within Daviess county was John Splawn and with him was his son Mayberry Splawn.....

https://books.google.com/books?id=qX0UAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's terrible, but I just want to laugh at the same time because of the way he phrases things.

Well, now that I've read on a ways, (used the search tool) I found my maternal great great grandfather on my grandmother's paternal side who owned a large farm extending over into DeKalb county.   They had 11 sons and 5 daughters. 

There were some seriously fertile women in early America.  I didn't really grasp just how big some of these families were from American History class. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:08:15 PM by Velsigne »

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #4974 on: July 17, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
Finished On War, or at least the interesting parts. Now reading Michel de Montaigne's Essays and Noam Chomsky's What Kind of Creatures Are We?

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
« Reply #4975 on: July 24, 2016, 02:50:13 AM »
Finished reading Chomsky's What Kind of Creatures Are We?. Thoroughly fascinating book. However, I have some deep disagreements with his final essay in the collection. He argues that since Newton, we have no coherent notion of what physical or material substance really is. As a result, he says that the traditional mind-body problem cannot be formulated. I partially agree with this assessment. However, he then goes on to slightly favor the idea that consciousness is reducible to the brain, and hence has its basis in material substance. In short, he favors a panpsychism theory of some sort. The fundamental problem with this is that it cannot account still for the sense of unity that each being has. It's on this basis that one can easily dismiss his proposal and formulate a weaker version of the mind-body problem, hence some form of dualism. At any rate, he discusses a lot of interesting stuff and the book was a real treat. He argues that while humans are biological and animal creatures, they are extraordinarily unique among all animals. For a Christian, this could be interpreted as an empirical support for the theological position that we truly are made in God's image. Specifically, Chomsky argues that our use of language does not involve the common assumption that our words refer to mind independent variables and that our language is much more complicated than that. This seems to indicate to me, at least, that humans are remarkably creative, self-aware, and self-contained much like how God is, but on a much smaller scale for lack of a better phraseology.

Still reading Montaigne, as it will take a long time to trudge through it.

As for the next book I'm reading, I am reading Rape Culture Hysteria: Fixing the Damage Done to Men and Women by Wendy McElroy.

• Merarches
« Reply #4976 on: July 24, 2016, 04:19:35 AM »
Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky

I've heard this book mentioned and referenced many times over the years, so I finally decided to read it for myself. About 30 pages into it and it's very well written and very insightful. He seems to be speaking to people just like me (the "Burn Babylon" crowd), urging us to work pragmatically within the system to achieve the ends we seek. Alinsky's "rules" could be applied to those on both the left and the right; and indeed, many politicians on the right have adopted Alinsky's principles in their efforts to effect political change. Of course, I have profound philosophical differences with his ultimate premises of pragmatism and utilitarianism, but I am still enjoying the book and finding some valuable info throughout. (And yes, one of his dedications is to "Lucifer," which is quite chilling if one takes that too seriously. And yet, Lucifer was the ultimate pragmatist, which again is one of the reasons why I reject the basic premise of Alinsky's arguments.)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #4977 on: July 24, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »
Peter M. Kalellis, Five Steps to Spiritual Growth: A Journey. A clinical psychologist, and former Greek Orthodox priest, Kalellis integrates some very Orthodox ideas--such as theosis--into a framework of a plan of spiritual growth from which Christians (and non-Christians) of various stripes can benefit. In fact, theosis is part of the first step to spiritual growth, as well as the fifth and last step--it is that important. This book is a sort of "sequel" to his more secular oriented Restoring Your Self: Five Ways to a Healthier, Happier, and More Creative Life (2002).
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.