Author Topic: What documentaries are you watching?  (Read 8246 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
Re: What documentaries are you watching?
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
I watched the Master a couple of weeks ago. I was actually a lot more interested in Joaquin Pheonix and Amy Adams' characters than I was in the Hoff. He did do a good job, though. It's a pretty creepy movie.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:43 AM »
I watched the Master a couple of weeks ago. I was actually a lot more interested in Joaquin Pheonix and Amy Adams' characters than I was in the Hoff. He did do a good job, though. It's a pretty creepy movie.

Lotsa basketball this weekend, I've been meaning to see this thing since it came out. I have had the screener I got for when it was being shopped around for an Oscar. Still haven't found myself in the mood. Weird.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:51:07 AM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
Not exactly a documentary, but the annual Dimbleby lecture is an institution, and this year Baroness Lane-Fox was awesome.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2015, 07:18:52 AM »
MITT

Pretty interesting documentary about Mitt Romney's run for the presidency. I'm not a fan of any of these politicians, but I like to know what makes them tick. This doc reveals a Mitt Romney who was actually much warmer and genuine than he came across in his campaign. Seems like a genuinely nice guy, and perhaps that's what cost him the presidency.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

• Merarches
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
Genocide: Worse Than War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cZuhqSzzc

Powerful documentary. You can watch the full movie on Youtube at the link above.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:53:21 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
I watched one last night on the life of the honey badger. Those little buggers are bad!
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »

Netflix streaming:

Fed Up

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70299287?sod=search-autocomplete

"This eye-opening documentary examines the underlying causes of childhood obesity, which has become an ever-more serious medical issue in America."

Over 50% of Americans are now either overweight or obese. 

This interesting documentary examines the role of corporate food interests pitted against government and the World Health Organization.

For example, First Lady Michelle Obama made childhood obesity her pet project. 

It started out as "Let's Move!" meaning, "let's move on this issue!"  After the corporate food giants came into the picture, "Let's Move" suddenly turned into an exercise program.

Exercise doesn't work.  Correcting diet from high processed sugar laden to basic healthy food does work. 

Since the Reagan presidency when billions were cut out of the school programs, cafeterias no longer cook food in house as they did for previous generations since WWII.   Now they buy junk food from corporations, so kids eat pizza, hamburgers and fries and soda every single day leading to the epidemic obesity problem. 

Another interesting note, some skinny people are actually fat on the inside.  So even a relatively thin looking person may be up for weight related disorders of diabetes, cancer, cardiac issues, etc. 

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
Netflix streaming:

Goering's Last Secret

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70298032?trkid=13462974

"This intriguing film reveals the amazing and relatively untold story of Albert Goering, the brother of Nazi Herman Goering. Despite his connections to the highest echelons of the Nazi Party, Albert was determinedly anti-Nazi."

Albert Goering was someone I had never heard of in previous WWII studies. 

Interesting detail.  They interview families and children of people who were rescued by Albert Goering, who would request release of prisoners from concentration camp by letter and sign simply "Goering".  People would assume it was his brother requesting the release. 

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:07 PM »
Netflix streaming:

Love Me

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80037204?trkid=438196

"Western men travel to Ukraine to meet women they found on "mail-order bride" dating websites -- both sides hoping the encounter will end in marriage."

Very strange documentary of men looking for women from foreign countries on the internet.

One guy racked up $10k in an email charges on one woman, who had no interest in him at all after he flew all the way to the Ukraine to meet her. 

He was more in the fantasy land of obsessing on her online photo than dealing with reality.

A couple of men were successful in finding women though and it was lovely to see them so happy together. 

Most of the men were scammed by poor Ukrainian women who need money to survive in a difficult part of the world. 

• Merarches
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »
Heart of Darkness

A documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now.

Selam

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »
Heart of Darkness

Selam

I guess the original is in the public domain so they can just steal the title.

Offline Christos3

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Just watched a documentary titled "Maidentrip" (on netflix). It's about Laura Dekker, the youngest person to sail around the world. Except for some foul language it was a very good film.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
Heart of Darkness

Selam

I saw that years ago on TV. I mainly remember Coppola ranting about how Marlon Brando wouldn't read the $%$((@ book.

• Merarches
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2015, 03:53:49 AM »
Heart of Darkness

Selam

I saw that years ago on TV. I mainly remember Coppola ranting about how Marlon Brando wouldn't read the $%$((@ book.

Yeah, I like Coppola as a director, but I was sort of disgusted by how he acted like the trials of making that movie were comparable to what the soldiers in Vietnam experienced. Talk about Hollywood delusion.

Selam

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2015, 03:16:44 AM »
The Horrible Histories Magna Charta special. Giggles all around. ;) Looking forward to the Napoleon special later today.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »

On the Way to School

Netflix

Four children from disparate parts of the globe are filmed on their way to school.

One in Africa, (sorry, missed which country) Morocco, Argentina pampas, India Bay of Bengal. 

Truly inspiring children, nicely done.  Good family documentary for all ages. 

On the Way to School 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Behind the Monastery Walls (Romanian documentary with English subtitles)

The monastery is the sacred home of God, but also home to the nuns and monks who have dedicated their lives to God. Romania’s monasteries are known worldwide for their magnificent beauty, but what do we know about the people that live there? How different is the life they lead? How different is the way they see the world?

Behind the Monastery Walls presents a selection of intimate and inspiring interviews in which nuns and monks in Romanian monasteries lay bare their thoughts and real beliefs.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

No longer pasting here.

• Merarches
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
Allen Iverson: The Answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TCjK4jRDfw

Selam

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:57 AM »
Old school doc on Coptic monasticism.

The Coptic Monasteries and Monks of the Egyptian Desert

This rare documentary takes you on a tour of Christian monasticism in Egypt. The first half of this documentary covers the various Coptic monasteries while the second half gives us a unique look at the Coptic monk. This documentary is a great source of spiritual edification and the Coptic monastic experience!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

No longer pasting here.

Offline wainscottbl

• Before the founder of this forum was, I AM
  • Archon
  • I came, I saw, I posted.
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »
Shark Week...nuff said
I don't got one of those scanner thingees to put my John Hancock on here. Here is my Social Security Number though: XXX-XX-XXXX. Just figure out what the Xs mean.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »
There are a bunch of RC docs on monasticism on amazon video, but I haven't decided whether to give one of them a shot--or I guess I should say, which one.
"Clearly, the best weapon against ISIS is our crack squad of Nigerian princes."

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
Respect Yourself: The Story of Stax Records
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtiYR7xLCA

The actual documentary is available on YouTube in pieces.....

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Just finished watching "Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State" on Netflix. This is the second time I've watched it. Definitely recommend it! It's not super-graphic, for those who are sensitive to images like that.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
There are a bunch of RC docs on monasticism on amazon video, but I haven't decided whether to give one of them a shot--or I guess I should say, which one.

What are some of the options?
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
Seeking God: The Way Of The Monk (2007) - Participate in the monastic way of life through the words and activities of the Benedictine monks at this tranquil monastery in northern New Mexico (:58). Standard Definition. Rent for $2; buy for $10.

Trappist (1997) - This documentary explores how the humility, contemplation, and simple life of monks fit into the modern world. (:56). Standard Definition. Rent for $2; buy for $8.

St. Benedict's Rule (2009) - Founded in 1881, Conception Abbey in northwest Missouri is an apparent refuge from modern life, serving as home to 70 Benedictine monks, providing religious instruction at its seminary college, and hosting retreats at its guest center. But not even this timeless sanctuary is immune to contemporary ills: On June 2002, a gunman walked into Conception Abbey, killing two monks and seriously wounding two others. "St. Benedict's Rule" offers insight into the monsastic life, exploring the abbey's many facets, and speaking with the priests and brothers about their life of prayer and contemplation. It also explores how the monks coped with the shocking outreak of violence that took place within their Abbey's walls (1:18). Standard Definition. Rent for $2; buy for $13.

The Everyday: Benedictine Life at Mount Saviour Monastery (2009) - This documentary program presents the private and holy lives of monks living at Mount Saviour Monastery in Elmira, NY (:50). Standard Definition. No rental available; buy for $5.
"Clearly, the best weapon against ISIS is our crack squad of Nigerian princes."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
I haven't seen any of those, but "St Benedict's Rule" jumps out at me. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2015, 03:56:49 AM »
Inequality for All

It examines the US economy and some of it's structural problems.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
I've discovered the Secret Knowledge series and can't stop watching. I got directed there through a link to 'The Art of Witchcraft', but I haven't seen a duff episode yet.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Melkite Catholic
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »
Shark Week...nuff said

Ah ... Oh wait, are we talking about businesses, or sharks in the "literal" sense?
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)