Author Topic: Library donation  (Read 241 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Russo-Finn Orthodox Church Outside Spain
Library donation
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:13:44 AM »
I was recently in my public library and found not a single book on Orthodoxy.  I searched in the computer catalog and only found Encountering the Mystery: Understanding Orthodox Christianity Today by Patriarch Bartholomew in the entire state's public library system.  Even the Baha'i section has about a dozen books.  I don't know about any of the university libraries, but the average library goer won't have access to those.  Now, the library system allows people to donate books to be added into circulation (which explains a lot of the vast collection of pop murder mysteries and crappy romance novels at my local county branch).  What would be 10 books that you would recommend for donation?  Both EO/OO suggestions are welcome.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Library donation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
Met. Ware's two are indispensable. I'll go through my lists for more suggestions when I'm on the computer.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:26:05 AM by Arachne »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
These days libraries know that they have limited budgets.  They know that they cannot purchase everything, but many have inter-library loan programs, so that they can borrow from other libraries.  They also know they can get a lot of information from the Internet; therefore, they may not carry much in print, but they know how to get it electronically.  Remember also that libraries have constant space problems.  They cannot carry everything, except possibly the Library of Congress.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
You're preaching to the choir.  I have yet to go to a public library that doesn't accept donated books for the sole reason of budget; what doesn't go into circulation gets sold so that another reader may enjoy it for pennies.  Along with the tangent budget, library systems still have to pay for ebook rights.  I just looked at my system's e/audio book listings....nothing on Orthodoxy.

And sure, there's plenty of stuff on the internet.  Most patrons come to use the Internet at the local branch, because they have no Internet at home.  They probably won't have a Kindle either.  Most branches also charge to print pages....so forget printing Against Heresies at 20 cents a page.  I just found out that interlibrary loan also has to be paid for by the patron.  If a book is within the system, free.  If not (outside the state or in university libraries), you pay. 

As for space,  there's plenty.  In fact, if they merely culled all the raggedy paperbacks (old donations, no doubt) that have met the end of their lives, there'd be enough space for years.

Your situation may differ at your local library.  I would like to see people have access to those books, whether they need them or they see them on the shelves by chance.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
I know just the right book for you.  8)
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Here's where the story ends
    • St. George Church
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
Maybe a book about a saint's life. :) "St. Nikolai and the Orthodox Mission to Japan" was very good.
petfinder.com

Black hole sun, won't you come and wash away the rain

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »
You're preaching to the choir.  I have yet to go to a public library that doesn't accept donated books for the sole reason of budget; what doesn't go into circulation gets sold so that another reader may enjoy it for pennies.  Along with the tangent budget, library systems still have to pay for ebook rights.  I just looked at my system's e/audio book listings....nothing on Orthodoxy.

And sure, there's plenty of stuff on the internet.  Most patrons come to use the Internet at the local branch, because they have no Internet at home.  They probably won't have a Kindle either.  Most branches also charge to print pages....so forget printing Against Heresies at 20 cents a page.  I just found out that interlibrary loan also has to be paid for by the patron.  If a book is within the system, free.  If not (outside the state or in university libraries), you pay. 

As for space,  there's plenty.  In fact, if they merely culled all the raggedy paperbacks (old donations, no doubt) that have met the end of their lives, there'd be enough space for years.

Your situation may differ at your local library.  I would like to see people have access to those books, whether they need them or they see them on the shelves by chance.
What I said about space applies to any library.   The person  who said it does not work anywhere near where I have been. 

Offline NicholasMyra

• Automated Kibitz Machine
  • Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Serious Injury List
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
Lossky is a safe bet. Schmemman for the pop audience.
According to clock time and calendar time the approval of threads may seem to be long delayed, but in sacred time it is always near at hand, always imminent.
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline William T

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
Do they have Nicene / Ante Nicene collections?  That would be best.  Any random book from a set, or any "Intro to the Fathers" type book if those exist.  I don't think Sts. Palamas, Maximos, or Pseudo - Dionysus usually make those cuts, so works by them can get thrown in as well.

As for modern classics:

Metropolitan Ware: The Orthodox Church

Vladimir Lossky: Mystical Theology

Father Schmemann: For The Life of the World

Father Meyendorff:  Byzantine Theology

maybe some collected works of Father Florovsky

If you want a fringe, but popular philosopher, maybe something by Berdyaev.  I'm not sure I consider him an Orthodox philosopher (nor do I think would he), but he is popular in the West, and people associate him as an Orthodox philosopher often.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:43:50 PM by William T »
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

H.L. Mencken

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:56 PM »
I know just the right book for you.  8)

I already donated 47 of that particular title, but they keep getting stolen by a guy described as "kind of Finnish-looking, but I'm not sure".

Offline Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »
- The Life in Christ, by St. Nicholas Cabasilas
- The Orthodox Church, by Met. Kallistos
- The Orthodox Way, by Met. Kallistos
- Roots of Christian Mysticism: Texts from the Patristic Era with Commentary, by Olivier Clement
- Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives, by Peter Bouteneff
- The SCM Press: A-Z of Patristic Theology, Fr. John McGuckin
- Ecclesiastical History, by Eusebius
- The Mystery of Christ: Life in Death, by Fr. John Behr
- On Acquisition of the Holy Spirit, by St. Seraphim of Sarov
- Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father, by Alexander and Vera Bouteneff
- The Hours of Prayer: A Book of Devotion, by the Orthodox Brotherhood of the Virgin Mary
- The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition, by Jaroslav Pelikan
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:55:33 PM by Asteriktos »
"I, Lucian, wrote this, I who am skilled in what is old and foolish; For what men think wise is foolish. So then nothing that the mind of man can conceive is certain; What you admire, seems ridiculous to others." - St. Lucian of Antioch

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:07:18 PM »
I highly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Note by the way, I am not merely engaging in OCNet's eauivalent of rickrolling; I mean it.

In lieu of The Hours of Prayer proposed by Asteriktos, I would suggest the Unabbreviated Horologion.

Offline William T

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 09:07:46 PM »
Also, your Church may be able to donate a prayer book or Liturgical book.  Any life of a saint would be good too.
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

H.L. Mencken

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
The real risk is the library selling it off, frankly.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
The real risk is the library selling it off, frankly.

That tends to happen to paperbacks in not-that-great condition.  The more hardcovers I can find the better, since they will be put into circulation right away.

Offline Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
Some might have rules about keeping it in circulation for a certain period if you pay extra to have it 'in memory' of someone.
"I, Lucian, wrote this, I who am skilled in what is old and foolish; For what men think wise is foolish. So then nothing that the mind of man can conceive is certain; What you admire, seems ridiculous to others." - St. Lucian of Antioch

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Maybe a book about a saint's life. :) "St. Nikolai and the Orthodox Mission to Japan" was very good.

I just finished reading that.  It was good.

Lossky is a safe bet. Schmemman for the pop audience.

Thanks.

Thanks, that's a good list.  Even some I haven't read.

Do they have Nicene / Ante Nicene collections? 

Only referenced in other works, but nothing that can stand alone.  I wouldn't even be able to get a Sayings of the Desert Fathers 
Good suggestions, BTW.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »
Some might have rules about keeping it in circulation for a certain period if you pay extra to have it 'in memory' of someone.

I'll have to ask about that. I know the Baha'i books all have a pasted script with "Donated to X Library by the Y County Baha'i".  I've seen similar tags in other books, but nothing "In memory of..." that I can recall.