Author Topic: TLC revealing new TV series: "Answered Prayers"  (Read 274 times)

Online Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
TLC revealing new TV series: "Answered Prayers"
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »
After the success of The Bible, The Dovekeepers and A.D. The Bible Continues, Roma Downey is back with a new faith-based series, Answered Prayers.

Downey sat down with ET to chat about her hosting gig on the upcoming show, which is all about real people whose lives were changed by divine intervention.

From here. Any thoughts?
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: TLC revealing new TV series: "Answered Prayers"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »
Another excuse for secularists to lampoon the Christian faith.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »
After the success of The Bible, The Dovekeepers and A.D. The Bible Continues, Roma Downey is back with a new faith-based series, Answered Prayers.

Downey sat down with ET to chat about her hosting gig on the upcoming show, which is all about real people whose lives were changed by divine intervention.

From here. Any thoughts?

I really would like to know what Roma Downey thinks prayer is.  If she likens it to depositing coins into a slot machine and hoping for a good return, then I think Sam is right:  It is going to be more ammo for secularists/atheists/progressives to further vilify Christian practice.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
I really would like to know what Roma Downey thinks prayer is.  If she likens it to depositing coins into a slot machine and hoping for a good return, then I think Sam is right:  It is going to be more ammo for secularists/atheists/progressives to further vilify Christian practice.

Eastern Orthodox believe God doesn't answer petitionary prayers?  That's news to me.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »

Eastern Orthodox believe God doesn't answer petitionary prayers?  That's news to me.

He does, but not in an 'insert prayer - receive answer' way. God is generally not into instant gratification, not even in the prayer department. ;)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »

I don't think we believe in making a televised spectacle of it. I think it has the potential to give the wrong impression, that Christianity is a "you ask God and you get what you want" kind of religion.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »

He does, but not in an 'insert prayer - receive answer' way. God is generally not into instant gratification, not even in the prayer department. ;)

My priest gives a number of sermons every year about this, using the same terminology, "God is not vending machine..."  One of the things that gave me some confusion was the importance of persistence in prayer.  I always felt like I was bugging God.  Yes, there was some impatience on my end, but also a feeling that if God did not answer quickly then I was probably asking for the wrong thing and wasting the Lord's time.  What finally got me over the hump, so to say, was reading the Parable of the Persistent Widow.  The last line (Luke 18.8) I find to be the operative part, though: "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"  Faith is the key.  If you pray with persistence and faith, sometimes God judges your request worthy.

A bit of a tangent, but alas.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
What i want to know is if the show is premiering right after the official TLC on air announcement of no more Duggars.

'Answered Prayers' indeed.... ;)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »
Another excuse for secularists to lampoon the Christian faith.
This
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Pretty sure you could find television content creators/developers to mock, embarrass, or just generally exploit almost any group or activity, real or created-just-for-TV, so long as they could find someone willing to pay them to work on it. They'd just as quickly do "Dumb Things Atheists Say: Dawkins Edition" or "Evolutionary Biologist Liars... EXPOSED!"  About 9 years ago TLC did a show called 'Shalom in the Home,' about an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi who crossed the country in an RV/trailer thing and showed up at people's houses to give them some life lessons. But first he (and TLC viewers) had to observe them using cameras throughout the house, to find out about their dirtiest laundry that made for the best television. Then the host would try to force the families into changing bad habits and adulterous proclivities in a rapid, positive, and photogenic way. It was especially heart-warming to see everyone trying to manipulate the kids when they were clearly extremely uncomfortable. But that's cable TV for ya.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:33:47 AM by Justin Kissel »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »
This woman was in the show "Touched by an Angel" before. I figure the new show will appeal to the same audience. I think they'll do all right.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »
Quote from: Sam G link=topic=65688.msg1316884#msg1316884

I don't think we believe in making a televised spectacle of it. I think it has the potential to give the wrong impression, that Christianity is a "you ask God and you get what you want" kind of religion.

Why have so many Christians experienced the opposite? 

I don't think Roma Downey is a word-of-faith adherent... she seems to be a faithful evangelical Catholic, albeit on her own terms (she's been divorced twice and her last marriage was officiated by a Protestant).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:26:49 PM by Daedelus1138 »

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »

How God answers prayers and what we interpret to be an answer to prayer are two very different things.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »

My priest gives a number of sermons every year about this, using the same terminology, "God is not vending machine..."  One of the things that gave me some confusion was the importance of persistence in prayer.  I always felt like I was bugging God.  Yes, there was some impatience on my end, but also a feeling that if God did not answer quickly then I was probably asking for the wrong thing and wasting the Lord's time.  What finally got me over the hump, so to say, was reading the Parable of the Persistent Widow.  The last line (Luke 18.8) I find to be the operative part, though: "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"  Faith is the key.  If you pray with persistence and faith, sometimes God judges your request worthy.

Indeed. Otherwise, we would be accused of repetitious prayers, which we are anyway.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:40:38 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »

Post of the Month Nominee!

If we are still doing that number.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:41:12 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »

How God answers prayers and what we interpret to be an answer to prayer are two very different things.

"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10