Author Topic: What documentaries are you watching?  (Read 34358 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What documentaries are you watching?
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:20 AM »
Watched Ken Burns's Mark Twain today. So sad at the end. I think it's pretty obvious that the man was clinically depressed, and given all the things that he and his family suffered on top of it (most of which he blamed himself for), it's not surprising at all to me that he turned so vehemently against God in his later life--just regrettable. I wonder if my faith would have done any better given similar circumstances.

I hope he found some peace and reconciliation at the end.

Though I have to dock Burns some points for not mentioning Jap Herron lol. I like to think that Mark Twain would have considered it the crowning joke of his legacy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:23:18 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »
Watched Ken Burns's Mark Twain today. So sad at the end. I think it's pretty obvious that the man was clinically depressed, and given all the things that he and his family suffered on top of it (most of which he blamed himself for), it's not surprising at all to me that he turned so vehemently against God in his later life--just regrettable. I wonder if my faith would have done any better given similar circumstances.

Though I have to dock Burns some points for not mentioning Jap Herron lol. I like to think that Mark Twain would have considered it the crowning joke of his legacy.

Thanks for this. I'll have to try to find it. Sounds really good.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
A single Tumblr post about historical YouTubers scored me a few channel subscriptions. Happily wading through their lists still. Mostly, if not all, in French.

horror humanum est
Axolot
C'est une autre histoire
Nota Bene
Les Revues du Monde
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
A single Tumblr post about historical YouTubers scored me a few channel subscriptions. Happily wading through their lists still. Mostly, if not all, in French.

horror humanum est
Axolot
C'est une autre histoire
Nota Bene
Les Revues du Monde

Makes me wish I spoke it!

Obligatory evangelization for my favorite history youtubers.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »

Thanks for this. I'll have to try to find it. Sounds really good.

Selam

Yeah, I enjoyed it overall. Lots of interesting discussion on his views on race, too.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
Last night, I watched Nova: The Origami Revolution (which is available free on the PBS website apparently?)

Really fascinating! It's all about how principles inherent in the way materials fold are not only enabling some really neat highly advanced origami, but also advancements in engineering (nanobots, kevlar shields, starshades for telescopes, and other things) and medicine (protein molecule folding to specifically target viruses).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Anybody know where that hour-long youtube documentary about the Syriac Church got to? I know it's been linked to on oc.net somewhere before, but I can't find it. Google and youtube searches aren't helping either.

Offline Tamar78

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
I’ve recently watched a 50 minute long video documentary of Mikhail Denysenko, the so-called Patriarch Philaret of Kyiv, shared by George Michalopulos on his website Monomakhos.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWumXnrgVug

Having noted that that he's just a layman and that even King David and Flavius Constantinus are canonized as saints in our Church, the blogger couldn't but conclude that “if this defrocked bishop is recognized by Constantinople as a “patriarch” and his “church” as canonical, then that venerable See will have lost all moral authority.”

Indeed, it's not a pretty picture of "Patriarch" Filaret painted in the documentary.

Has anyone else seen this video? Do you share Mr. Michalopoulos' concerns?

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
I’ve recently watched a 50 minute long video documentary of Mikhail Denysenko, the so-called Patriarch Philaret of Kyiv, shared by George Michalopulos on his website Monomakhos.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWumXnrgVug

Having noted that that he's just a layman and that even King David and Flavius Constantinus are canonized as saints in our Church, the blogger couldn't but conclude that “if this defrocked bishop is recognized by Constantinople as a “patriarch” and his “church” as canonical, then that venerable See will have lost all moral authority.”

Indeed, it's not a pretty picture of "Patriarch" Filaret painted in the documentary.

did you have problems with the video at around the 15 minute mark me and juliogb were http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,74442.msg1534987/topicseen.html#msg1534987
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »

Oh, hey. Speaking of Russian cybertrolling...

Offline Tamar78

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2018, 04:06:51 PM »
did you have problems with the video at around the 15 minute mark me and juliogb were http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,74442.msg1534987/topicseen.html#msg1534987

Me too. I supposed it was because of slow Internet connection and decided to watch it later... However 15 minutes was enough...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:15:30 PM by Tamar78 »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »

Me too. I supposed it was because of slow Internet connection and decided to watch it later... However 15 minutes was enough...

there is no way it was slow internet if me, juliogb and you all have problems with the video at the same time!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov