Author Topic: Newer Book: Eastern Orthodox Christianity: The Essential Texts  (Read 446 times)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
http://yalebooks.com/book/9780300196788/eastern-orthodox-christianity

Two leading academic scholars offer the first comprehensive source reader on the Eastern Orthodox church for the English-speaking world. Designed specifically for students and accessible to readers with little or no previous knowledge of theology or religious history, this essential, one-of-a-kind work frames, explores, and interprets Eastern Orthodoxy through the use of primary sources and documents. Lively introductions and short narratives that touch on anthropology, art, law, literature, music, politics, women’s studies, and a host of other areas are woven together to provide a coherent and fascinating history of the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition.

Bryn Geffert is librarian of the college and lecturer in the department of history at Amherst College and formerly associate professor of Russian area studies at St. Olaf College. Theofanis Stavrou is professor of history and director of Modern Greek Studies at the University of Minnesota.

Interested by this book.  Anyone take a look?

Btw, there is a huge anthology of supplemental texts you can download on the page (linked below)

http://yalebooks.com/sites/default/files/files/Media/Eastern%20Orthodox%20Christianity/9780300196788_Supplemental%20Texts.pdf

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
Re: Newer Book: Eastern Orthodox Christianity: The Essential Texts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
I haven't, but reading the index got me a bit excited about it.
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
So which is it, "the" "comprehensive source reader on the Eastern Orthodox Church" or a text "designed specifically [to be] accessible to readers with little ... knowledge"?

How many pages is it? Among the "lively introductions and short narratives" upon "anthropology, art, law, literature, music, politics, women's studies," &c., how many pages remain to house primary sources, and how completely are they presented?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »
Just put an order through. I'll report once it's here and I've been through it. The supplemental texts have a nice heft to them too - too nice to dare print them! 8)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
So which is it, "the" "comprehensive source reader on the Eastern Orthodox Church" or a text "designed specifically [to be] accessible to readers with little ... knowledge"?

How many pages is it? Among the "lively introductions and short narratives" upon "anthropology, art, law, literature, music, politics, women's studies," &c., how many pages remain to house primary sources, and how completely are they presented?

Judging by a quick glance at the link in the OP, which appears to be most (actually all) of the book:

It is pretty comprehensive. I don't know how accessible it would be to readers of little... knowledge, but to readers with little... knowledge of theology or religious history it might pass.

It's about 1300 pages. The "lively introductions and short narratives" are fairly short, about a page and a half per section or maybe 1 percent or so of the book. The "primary sources" (in translation) do have some excision, though judging by the pieces I'm familiar with, they seem to present a large portion of the text. I'd have to look closer to see whether the deletions would be theologically problematic, or are contained more to the repetitions one often finds in Church fathers.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »

Judging by a quick glance at the link in the OP, which appears to be most (actually all) of the book:

It is pretty comprehensive. I don't know how accessible it would be to readers of little... knowledge, but to readers with little... knowledge of theology or religious history it might pass.

It's about 1300 pages. The "lively introductions and short narratives" are fairly short, about a page and a half per section or maybe 1 percent or so of the book. The "primary sources" (in translation) do have some excision, though judging by the pieces I'm familiar with, they seem to present a large portion of the text. I'd have to look closer to see whether the deletions would be theologically problematic, or are contained more to the repetitions one often finds in Church fathers.

Okay. now that's got my attention. That's long and must represent tons of work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:35:02 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
It's about 1300 pages.

That's the (free) supplemental texts, linked above. The actual published book is 480 pages. Still no pamphlet.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
It's about 1300 pages.

That's the (free) supplemental texts, linked above. The actual published book is 480 pages. Still no pamphlet.

Ooh.

Welp then at any rate I know what I'll be using my bandwidth on for the next while ...

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 08:07:33 PM »
Looking at the contents of both volumes, it still seems they are following the habitual pattern in history book editing of presenting a large-picture narrative in the Hegelian light, which is to say as a story of dynamic change from political or at least polemical pressures resulting in reactions (bad) or syntheses (good, and progressive).

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
By the way there is a great icon section in the free supplemental pdf starting at page 322 of the pdf or 302 of the text.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:34:08 PM by Hinterlander »