Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 35309 times)

Offline Eruvande

• Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:56 AM »
The Doctor's Wife is probably my favourite New Who episode going. And Matt Smith isn't even one of my top three Doctors.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
Find your Doctor Who birthday episode!

Mine is Part 5 of 'The Mutants', featuring the 3rd Doctor. Can't say I remember it. :D
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »
Find your Doctor Who birthday episode!

Mine is Part 5 of 'The Mutants', featuring the 3rd Doctor. Can't say I remember it. :D
Day of the Daleks - Part 1
Also featuring Jon Pertwee
First broadcast: Saturday 1st January, 1972
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2015, 11:16:09 PM »
The Leisure Hive.

Nice to get a Tom Baker episode, though sad that it's the episode that marks the beginning of the Nathan-Turner regime.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
The Leisure Hive.

Nice to get a Tom Baker episode, though sad that it's the episode that marks the beginning of the Nathan-Turner regime.
Yeah, the show still did some good things with Peter Davison, but it kinda went downhill after Davison left.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: I presently commune at a Coptic parish
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
I actually rather enjoyed the Colin Baker episode Vengeance from Varos.  And I drew a Colin Baker episode, though I can't recall which one.  But I found The Leosure Hive boring and incomprehensible.  The Caves of Androsani, from that same era, was much better.

But I have to confess I've never gotten the chance to see the most interesting Tom Baker episodes; most of what I've seen him in has featured brilliant acting on his part but was otherwise a bore.  In contrast I've seen some thrilling Jon Pertwee episodes, like The Three Doctors.  "I AM OMEGA!!!"  But I've yet to see anything from the Seventh Doctor that was of interest.  In contrast, the snippets I've seen of the black and white doctors look thrilling.  I wish the BBC would remake somee of the lost First Doctor episodes, using the gentleman from A Journey through Time and Space, who looked convincingly like William Hartnell.
I am Oriental Orthodox but love the Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantine liturgy.  I also love the Western liturgy.  I hope for the reconciliation of our churches.

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
I actually rather enjoyed the Colin Baker episode Vengeance from Varos.  And I drew a Colin Baker episode, though I can't recall which one.  But I found The Leosure Hive boring and incomprehensible.  The Caves of Androsani, from that same era, was much better.

But I have to confess I've never gotten the chance to see the most interesting Tom Baker episodes; most of what I've seen him in has featured brilliant acting on his part but was otherwise a bore.
Watch the Tom Baker episode "City of Death".
  • Written by Douglas Adams, though he's not listed in the credits except maybe under a pseudonym
  • Incredible on screen chemistry between Baker and his co-star (and soon-to-be wife) Lalla Ward
  • Some of Baker's most brilliant comedic acting
  • Incredible story
  • Julian Glover (known for his work in both the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movie franchises) as the villain
One of the five best Doctor Who episodes of all time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:49:03 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
I wish the BBC would remake somee of the lost First Doctor episodes, using the gentleman from A Journey through Time and Space, who looked convincingly like William Hartnell.

That's David Bradley, best remembered by the general public as caretaker Filch in the Harry Potter movies, and Walder Frey in Game of Thrones. :)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

But I have to confess I've never gotten the chance to see the most interesting Tom Baker episodes; most of what I've seen him in has featured brilliant acting on his part but was otherwise a bore.  In contrast I've seen some thrilling Jon Pertwee episodes, like The Three Doctors.  "I AM OMEGA!!!"  But I've yet to see anything from the Seventh Doctor that was of interest.  In contrast, the snippets I've seen of the black and white doctors look thrilling.  I wish the BBC would remake somee of the lost First Doctor episodes, using the gentleman from A Journey through Time and Space, who looked convincingly like William Hartnell.

IMO the first two doctors have most of the best stories, with Tom Baker close behind. (Pertwee has great moments too). Some great old stories to check out: The Aztecs, The Invasion (lost episodes are reconstructed with animation), Tomb of the Cybermen, Seeds of Death, and, of course, the original story The Daleks.
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Tom Baker rules.

That is all.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am