OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How will you mark 9/11 this year?
Attend a community event - 0 (0%)
Attend a religious service at my house of worship - 9 (29%)
Watch/listen to special coverage on tv/radio - 5 (16.1%)
No plans to commemorate the day - 15 (48.4%)
Attend an interfaith community service - 2 (6.5%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11 10 years after  (Read 871 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »

How will you mark 9/11 this year?
I'll be attending an interfaith service hosted by my synagogue.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:34:06 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

I checked "No plans", though that's not exactly correct. It is true that I'm not making any plans apart from my usual routine. However, since September 11 is a Sunday, I know my priest will make mention of the occasion at least in his sermon; in our prayers for peace for the world, the awareness of the date will be a focus in many minds. Also, I know it will be next to impossible to escape media coverage, so any time spent in front of the TV will almost certainly include viewing special coverage.

We Canadians were as horrified as those in the US at the events of that day. We won't forget.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »

Prayer service with the church people.

Some friends wanted to go shooting that day, but we are rescheduling.

I always feel weird around 9/11. Honestly, I try to ignore it because I get too emotional about everything that happened. Will absolutely not be turning on the TV that day. I don't need to see those clips again, not in this lifetime.

A lot of magazines are featuring the stories of widows, children, husbands, parents, of those who died, and I will probably read over those and cry.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

Prayer service with the church people.

Some friends wanted to go shooting that day, but we are rescheduling.

I always feel weird around 9/11. Honestly, I try to ignore it because I get too emotional about everything that happened. Will absolutely not be turning on the TV that day. I don't need to see those clips again, not in this lifetime.

A lot of magazines are featuring the stories of widows, children, husbands, parents, of those who died, and I will probably read over those and cry.

I feel the same way.  That day was such a sad, sad day  I have no desire to dwell on and re-live the emotions from that day.  Since it is a Sunday it will be good to be in church to remember those who died.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:50:15 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

I probably won't do anything related to what happened. Seeing people jump from the towers was one of the more sobering sights I've seen (I would say that the whole day was like that, but it was more surreal than sobering). However, I don't really need to relive it or to be reminded of what happened. If others want to do so for reasons that are familial, cultural, etc. then that's great for them. Apparently Antiochian parishes (or some at least) are in Church all day saying the names of those who died that day.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »

I'm currently watching CNN's coverage of the WTC memorial event for 9/11. Sad indeed.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

I went to liturgy this morning. We had a beautiful memorial service afterwards, as requested by the Archbishop and Metropolitan.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »

I went to Vigil Mass last night and we had a moment of silence in memory of those who lost their lives. I checked "no plans" though because, while 9/11 was mentioned at Mass, it wasn't like it was central to the liturgy or anything.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

We said Trisagion prayers (and reminded anyone who asked that yes, Orthodox people died that day, so it's ok to do that) at the end of Liturgy.  Otherwise it's business as usual - I have the living to love and look forward to today, including an afternoon with my girls.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

We had a general memorial service this morning at its usually spot at the end of Liturgy.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »

My priest mentioned it in his sermon. And we also had the Trisagion prayers for the departed at the end of the Divine Liturgy, with some special additional petitions in the litany during the memorial service.

And I've spent a lot of time reading and watching stuff online over the past few days. I found videos on YouTube of the actual live TV coverage on 9/11.

I think it's necessary to watch that - so you don't forget. I think too many people have their heads buried in the sand or don't have the stomach for it. Then they don't have the stomach when other necessary things have to be done.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

We held a Panachida after Divine Liturgy today.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »

My priest said a pannikhida.

I feel strange commemorating it beyond praying for the victims and lowering the flag to half staff. I had no personal connection to the event and so it feels somehow wrong to dwell on the horrors of it by reliving the day. I have no need for personal comfort and I know nobody who does, so it doesn't seem right to do anything besides pray and somberly acknowledge the memory.

I was startled when I logged onto the Internet today and saw that fireball again. It just makes me feel ill to see those pictures again. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:01:36 PM by bogdan » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »

We said Trisagion prayers (and reminded anyone who asked that yes, Orthodox people died that day, so it's ok to do that) at the end of Liturgy.  Otherwise it's business as usual - I have the living to love and look forward to today, including an afternoon with my girls.

Indeed. 65 Orthodox Christians perished at the Twin Towers on that day of treachery.

Memory eternal.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »

The Church School kids placed US flags around the front lawn of the church and we had a panikhyda (?) service after Liturgy.  It was really nice   I had to turn off the radio and TV - NPR was just doing some memorial stuff and hearing the stories and the last phone calls of the trapped people is so upsetting. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »

I would not have marked it if the Metropolitan had not requested that parishes say the Trisagion service after liturgy. That said, I know some people had more of a connection to the events than I did (I had absolutely none), and I do not begrudge them wanting to observe the occasion. May the memory of those who died be eternal.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:46:00 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »

We held a Panachida after Divine Liturgy today.

That's what we did.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »

I was listening to EWTN yesterday 9-10. Father Groshell was speaking about the Ground Zero Cross. He suggested that when St. Nicholas Orthodox Church gets rebuilt that it should be placed there.

Great idea.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »

Can't believe it's already been 10 years, time flies by way too quick.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: