OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Timon??  (Read 359 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 11, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »

Anyone know where I can find an icon of St. Timon?  He's celebrated on my birthday (July 28th), so id like to find one of him, but ive looked everywhere without any luck. Help please!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:23 AM »

Fwiw, I found this one...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »

very good work! its a little bigger than im looking for, but its all thats out there, ill go for it anyways. 

also, are icons legit if they are pained just by ordinary people? or are they supposed to be done by monks or something? does it not matter as long as they are eventually blessed?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:31:03 AM »

Ideally they should be done, I think, by an Orthodox Christian who has become an iconographer under the apprenticeship* of another iconographer. Or at least be in the process of learning. As far as blessing an icon goes, there are a number of opinions on that. Some consider it blessed just by virtue of it being an icon, others are very much in favor of getting them blessed by a priest (sometimes after a period of time on the altar). Given that even iconographic images printed with a $30 printer from walmart qualify as icons for some (such as St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco), I don't think we really need to get hung up on the details. Just do what seems best and/or what is local custom IMO.

*Don't know if that's the proper word

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »

Well, heres what I did.  I ordered the postcard version for $1.92.  I actually got 2.  Im going to try and learn to mount it on wood myself. (And Ill check with a priest and make sure all of this is ok) If it works out, ill have it blessed. If I mess it up, I have an extra and ill just frame it, then have it blessed.

If it turns out that this is not an acceptable way to acquire icons, then Ill just have 2 really cool post cards with the apostle Timon on them.  After shipping I spent $6. I figured its worth a shot.  I cant imagine why it would be a problem, especially since its so hard to find Timon.  And who knows, maybe the artist is Orthodox!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:40:22 AM »

Sounds good Smiley

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »

And heres an excerpt from the artists bio....

"In 1996, I was commissioned by local Bishop Peter to produce religious paintings and icons for local churches and this is my job today."

Thanks again for the help!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:41:38 AM by Timon » Logged

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: