OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:56:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgen de Guadalupe (and other appiritions) in WRO  (Read 20541 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »

So images are only holy, if they follow eastern cultural standards. Got it.

Wrong. Images are holy if they proclaim and express what the Orthodox Church teaches. Have I not made this point often enough in so many of my posts on this forum?

You mean the Orthodox Church actually has a definite teaching on anything? I'm shocked.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »

So images are only holy, if they follow eastern cultural standards. Got it.

Wrong. Images are holy if they proclaim and express what the Orthodox Church teaches. Have I not made this point often enough in so many of my posts on this forum?

You mean the Orthodox Church actually has a definite teaching on anything? I'm shocked.

hardy har har...
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »

I guess if the 1917 icon of the Theotokos enthroned can be miraculously created by God as a non canonical icon, then so can the Virgen de Guadalupe. He makes the rules, He can break them if He wants to.

So we could say the Virgen de Guadalupe is a specific type of icon all its own and its features are not to be transferred to other icons. It quite simply is what it is.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2011, 05:56:14 AM »

Wrong emphasis. It's Eastern Orthodox, not Eastern Orthodox.

QFT. Also, thank you for new Faith status. police

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

I guess if the 1917 icon of the Theotokos enthroned can be miraculously created by God as a non canonical icon, then so can the Virgen de Guadalupe. He makes the rules, He can break them if He wants to.

So we could say the Virgen de Guadalupe is a specific type of icon all its own and its features are not to be transferred to other icons. It quite simply is what it is.

False analogy. The Derzhavnaya which Irish Hermit referred to was an old, existing icon painted a good century or more before its rediscovery in 1917. Olifa, the traditional oil varnish used for icons, darkens with time, the darkening accelerating in the presence of soot and vapor given off by oil lamps and candlAfter about 50 years, the appearance is usually still recognizable, but noticeably darkened. After a century or two, many icons are almost black. It was common practice for blackened icons to be repainted over the top of the existing image; the new icon may or may not have borne the same subject matter as the original. Repeated overpaintings were common, so that a board which might have been painted in, say, the 16th century, might have been repainted three or four times by the twentieth century.

The time of the painting of the Derzhavnaya coincided with the height of the naturalistic, Synodal/Academic style which had all but obliterated traditional iconography. It is what it is, and I have never said that it is, in itself, uncanonical (there are many variants of the Mother of God Enthroned type), though the motif of God the Father in it is still problematic. However, it seems that God chose to use this imperfect vessel at that particular point in time to manifest His presence.

OTOH, the Guadalupe image remains outside Orthodox tradition. It never was part of it, and is highly unlikely it ever will be. This status has nothing at all to do with "Eastern culture". I make no apologies for saying this.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »

Wrong emphasis. It's Eastern Orthodox, not Eastern Orthodox.

QFT. Also, thank you for new Faith status. police
Thanks  Smiley

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »

False analogy. The Derzhavnaya which Irish Hermit referred to was an old, existing icon painted a good century or more before its rediscovery in 1917. Olifa, the traditional oil varnish used for icons, darkens with time, the darkening accelerating in the presence of soot and vapor given off by oil lamps and candlAfter about 50 years, the appearance is usually still recognizable, but noticeably darkened. After a century or two, many icons are almost black. It was common practice for blackened icons to be repainted over the top of the existing image; the new icon may or may not have borne the same subject matter as the original. Repeated overpaintings were common, so that a board which might have been painted in, say, the 16th century, might have been repainted three or four times by the twentieth century.

The time of the painting of the Derzhavnaya coincided with the height of the naturalistic, Synodal/Academic style which had all but obliterated traditional iconography. It is what it is, and I have never said that it is, in itself, uncanonical (there are many variants of the Mother of God Enthroned type), though the motif of God the Father in it is still problematic. However, it seems that God chose to use this imperfect vessel at that particular point in time to manifest His presence.

OTOH, the Guadalupe image remains outside Orthodox tradition. It never was part of it, and is highly unlikely it ever will be. This status has nothing at all to do with "Eastern culture". I make no apologies for saying this.
Oh ok. I was under the impression it was an icon made with hands.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »

Just to clarify: The Derzhavnaya was indeed originally painted, not "not made by hands" as a few have been. It then went "missing" and was forgotten about some time later, to be rediscovered in 1917 through the efforts of the woman Evdokia, where it was cleaned to reveal the image under the darkening.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

Just to clarify: The Derzhavnaya was indeed originally painted, not "not made by hands" as a few have been. It then went "missing" and was forgotten about some time later, to be rediscovered in 1917 through the efforts of the woman Evdokia, where it was cleaned to reveal the image under the darkening.
Ooops, typo. My post should have read, "not made by hands."

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »

So, going back to Deacon Lance's point vis a vis Acts 10:5 in post #102, if God works genuine miracles via the Virgen de Guadalupe (or even a non-canonical Orthodox icon such as the Sitka Mother of God) why doesn't this sanctify the previous errors in the composition and origin?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:30:16 AM by Volnutt » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2011, 12:27:41 PM »

So, going back to Deacon Lance's point vis a vis Acts 10:5 in post #102, if God works genuine miracles via the Virgen de Guadalupe (or even a non-canonical Orthodox icon such as the Sitka Mother of God) why doesn't this sanctify the previous errors in the composition and origin?

If the grace of God operates through non-Orthodox things, people, and churches, it does so in spite of the errors. Error cannot be sanctified. You can't call what is wrong right just because good happened through what was wrong. If someone comes to such a state of repentance after committing murder, for example, so that he works miracles, it does not mean that the murder was good or a right thing.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »

If the grace of God operates through non-Orthodox things, people, and churches, it does so in spite of the errors. Error cannot be sanctified. You can't call what is wrong right just because good happened through what was wrong. If someone comes to such a state of repentance after committing murder, for example, so that he works miracles, it does not mean that the murder was good or a right thing.

I think your analogy here is quite flawed, but I'll let those who have a stake in this elaborate.  Suffice to say, comparing the Sitka Mother of God to a repentant murderer is a stretch, to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:30:37 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

I think your analogy here is quite flawed, but I'll let those who have a stake in this elaborate.  Suffice to say, comparing the Sitka Mother of God to a repentant murderer is a stretch, to say the least.

You misunderstand me. The previous poster mentioned Sitka. I have no problem at all with that icon. I was referring to Guadalupe, and in general, to the other churches and their miracles, etc, and grace. Reread.

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »

I still think it's a stretch to equate the Virgin of Guadalupe with an ex-murderer, but mostly I was asking in relation to Acts 10:5. "What God has cleansed, do not call common."

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »

You misunderstand me. The previous poster mentioned Sitka. I have no problem at all with that icon. I was referring to Guadalupe, and in general, to the other churches and their miracles, etc, and grace. Reread.

YOU may not have a problem with it, but it is clearly an erroneous, non-canonical icon.  It is therefore de facto "non-Orthodox".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »

I still think it's a stretch to equate the Virgin of Guadalupe with an ex-murderer, but mostly I was asking in relation to Acts 10:5. "What God has cleansed, do not call common."

Ugh. I was talking about the grace of God, and ways that it works through things sometimes in spite of problems.

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2011, 02:39:29 AM »

I'm sorry if I offended. I just found the comparison repugnant in it's extremity.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

+1000

Post of the Month!

This is the exact same point I was trying to make in regards to Orthodox Sacramental Marriage vs Evangelical Symbolic Marriage and the capital "G" Grace of God Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »

I'm sorry if I offended. I just found the comparison repugnant in it's extremity.

I wasn't trying to be extreme, sorry. I was merely trying to say how something which is mistaken and imperfect can be a vehicle for grace, but it doesn't mean that thing is no longer mistaken or imperfect.

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

Ok. No problem.

Deacon Lance, LBK? What do you guys think?

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »

Shanghaiski summed it up pretty well.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »

He is exactly right.  Error can't be sanctified.  So if an Icon is sanctified it must not be an error.  The error is with  man-made rules denying grace where it is found.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2011, 03:07:32 AM »

This is what Shanghaiski wrote:

I was merely trying to say how something which is mistaken and imperfect can be a vehicle for grace, but it doesn't mean that thing is no longer mistaken or imperfect.

This is what Deacon Lance wrote in response to it:
He is exactly right.  Error can't be sanctified.  So if an Icon is sanctified it must not be an error.  The error is with  man-made rules denying grace where it is found.

For the life of me, I can't understand how the latter draws such a conclusion from the former.  Huh Huh
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

Deacon Lance is saying if something is sanctified, it obviously is error-free, since error cannot be sanctified. Where one chooses to deny a miracle or grace in something due to man-made rules, the problem is with that person, not the thing they reject.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

Who here is denying the miracles? All she is saying is that miracles and grace working through something don't mean the thing is sanctified.

Deacon Lance and I came to an impasse on this with my point about the brass serpent. I'm still thinking about his point. Kind of hard to carry on a conversation if we're just assuming the Virgen de Guadalupe was, in fact, made without hands...

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »

I was merely trying to say how something which is mistaken and imperfect can be a vehicle for grace, but it doesn't mean that thing is no longer mistaken or imperfect.

He is exactly right.  Error can't be sanctified.  So if an Icon is sanctified it must not be an error.  The error is with  man-made rules denying grace where it is found.

For the life of me, I can't understand how the latter draws such a conclusion from the former.  Huh Huh
It would've been so much easier had LBK been present when the Madonna transferred her image onto St.Juan Diego's tilma to ensure she did so according to "Orthodox" guidelines.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:37:08 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »

He is exactly right.  Error can't be sanctified.  So if an Icon is sanctified it must not be an error.  The error is with  man-made rules denying grace where it is found.

For the life of me, I can't understand how the latter draws such a conclusion from the former.  Huh Huh
It would've been so much easier had LBK been present when the Madonna transferred her image onto St.Juan Diego's tilma to ensure she did so according to "Orthodox" guidelines.  Roll Eyes
That does assUme that she did so.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »

Indeed.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »

I realize some, perhaps most, do not accept that the Virgin of Guadalupe is an icon not made by hands as I do but the point applies equally to miraculous Icons that do not follow the medieval Russian rules.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »

(or even a non-canonical Orthodox icon such as the Sitka Mother of God)
What canon?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »

What canon?
It shows God the Father.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »

What canon?
It shows God the Father.
What canon forbids it?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »

The 1666 Council of the Hundred Chapters, either canon 2 or 3.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #168 on: December 26, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »

The 1666 Council of the Hundred Chapters, either canon 2 or 3.

Are these ecumenical canons?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »

No, but I believe they're widely accepted.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »

The main purpose of the 1666 council was condemning the Old Rite. Since the Old Rite is once again approved I'd say the legitimacy of the council in general is doubtful. With the politically motivated deposition of Patriarch Nikon, this council also represents an unwelcome incursion of the Moscow state into the life of the Church which bore much evil fruit in subsequent centuries.

If the canons were really so universally received then it's a wonder that no one enforces them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:38:08 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »

The main purpose of the 1666 council was condemning the Old Rite. Since the Old Rite is once again approved I'd say the legitimacy of the council in general is doubtful. With the politically motivated deposition of Patriarch Nikon, this council also represents an unwelcome incursion of the Moscow state into the life of the Church which bore much evil fruit in subsequent centuries.

If the canons were really so universally received then it's a wonder that no one enforces them.

You are forgetting the many patristic denunciations and condemnations of depicting God the Father in icons in the centuries before the 1666 Russian council. St John of Damascus is particularly blunt in this condemnation, as is, IIRC, St Theodore of the Studion. Both are rightly pillars of the defense of icons against the iconoclast heresy. These are but two saints who held this view, there are many others. Some food for thought:

Of old, God the incorporeal and uncircumscribed was not depicted at all. But now that God has appeared in the flesh and lived among men, I make an image of the God who can be seen. I do not worship matter, but I worship the Creator of matter, who for my sake became material and deigned to dwell in matter, who through matter effected my salvation. I will not cease from venerating the matter through which my salvation has been effected. (St John of Damascus)

No one could describe the Word of the Father; but when He took flesh from you, O Mother of God, He consented to be described, and restored the fallen image to its former state by uniting it to divine beauty. We confess and proclaim our salvation in word and images.(kontakion for the Sunday of Orthodoxy)

The kontakion is particularly pertinent: Has God the Father consented to be described? Has God the Father revealed Himself in any visible, tangible form? Only as a voice from heaven, at the baptism of Christ, and at Christ's Transfiguration. Can a voice be seen? Can it be depicted pictorially? No, it cannot. And He has certainly never manifested Himself as a bearded old man.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »

You are forgetting the many patristic denunciations and condemnations of depicting God the Father in icons in the centuries before the 1666 Russian council. St John of Damascus is particularly blunt in this condemnation, as is, IIRC, St Theodore of the Studion. Both are rightly pillars of the defense of icons against the iconoclast heresy. These are but two saints who held this view, there are many others. Some food for thought:

Of old, God the incorporeal and uncircumscribed was not depicted at all. But now that God has appeared in the flesh and lived among men, I make an image of the God who can be seen. I do not worship matter, but I worship the Creator of matter, who for my sake became material and deigned to dwell in matter, who through matter effected my salvation. I will not cease from venerating the matter through which my salvation has been effected. (St John of Damascus)

No one could describe the Word of the Father; but when He took flesh from you, O Mother of God, He consented to be described, and restored the fallen image to its former state by uniting it to divine beauty. We confess and proclaim our salvation in word and images.(kontakion for the Sunday of Orthodoxy)

The kontakion is particularly pertinent: Has God the Father consented to be described? Has God the Father revealed Himself in any visible, tangible form? Only as a voice from heaven, at the baptism of Christ, and at Christ's Transfiguration. Can a voice be seen? Can it be depicted pictorially? No, it cannot. And He has certainly never manifested Himself as a bearded old man.

I agree that the depictions of God the Father are questionable, but citing the 1666 council against them is problematic and weakens the case.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

I agree that the depictions of God the Father are questionable, but citing the 1666 council against them is problematic and weakens the case.

Why is citing the canon from this council "problematic" and "weakening the case"? Is the canon inconsistent with patristic and liturgical precedent?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »

Why is citing the canon from this council "problematic" and "weakening the case"? Is the canon inconsistent with patristic and liturgical precedent?

If you invoke the canonical authority of the 1666 council, you imply that all of its rulings are legitimate. The council was really a disaster for the Russian church.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »

If you invoke the canonical authority of the 1666 council, you imply that all of its rulings are legitimate. The council was really a disaster for the Russian church.

The rulings of this council not concerned with iconography are irrelevant to this discussion. The iconographic canon from that council is consistent with the clear and unequivocal testimony of the church. Or do you wish to argue otherwise?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »

The rulings of this council not concerned with iconography are irrelevant to this discussion.

Binding canons come from binding councils. If you don't think the council is binding then its canonical rulings are irrelevant, regardless of their consistency with tradition. 

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »

We recognize the canons or at least the sentiments of canons and writings from several councils of dubious validity or outright heresy. Several Arian councils, I understand, opposed not only Orthodoxy, but papal supremacy. We, of course, reject the heresy and take the Orthodoxy, because we know our faith, which is enshrined not only in the Ecumenical Councils, but in all the received gifts of holy tradition, in totality.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »

We recognize the canons or at least the sentiments of canons and writings from several councils of dubious validity or outright heresy. Several Arian councils, I understand, opposed not only Orthodoxy, but papal supremacy.

But do we cite these Arian councils in polemics against Papal supremacy?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »

Binding canons come from binding councils. If you don't think the council is binding then its canonical rulings are irrelevant, regardless of their consistency with tradition. 

Things aren't always that simple. Consider the Council of Antioch (341), which is a mess to figure out. It's canons are accepted, yet a condemnation of St. Athanasius might have happened there (or at least been issued a sizable number of the bishops from the council speaking in it's name).
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: