OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:46:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgen de Guadalupe (and other appiritions) in WRO  (Read 20548 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »

While weathering Tropical Storm Lee last night, our power went out and I was forced to duck around the corner to the dollar store to buy candles. Almost every candle except for some Virgen de Guadalupe week-long intention candles (these, to be exact) was sold, so I bought one and went home. It did its trick and made my apartment smell like roses.

Anyway, as I watched the candle burn, I got to wondering if there was a devotion to the Virgen de Guadalupe in the WRO. Most WR debates I have seen have centered around things like the Sacred Heart and Corpus Christi, but I haven't heard much discussion about various Marian apparitions (aside from generally suspicious comments about Lourdes and a general acceptance of Our Lady of Walsingham).

Since many WR folks tend to discuss the importance of patrimony, my thoughts turned to what would be my western Orthodox patrimony (since there is not likely to be a WRO rural southern fundamentalist rite any time soon Wink), and it is -- regionally, anyway -- Acadian Catholicism, which has a significant devotion to Our Lady of Prompt Succor.

How does someone in the WR determine what is and isn't acceptable for Orthodox veneration from the western tradition?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:19 PM »

While weathering Tropical Storm Lee last night, our power went out and I was forced to duck around the corner to the dollar store to buy candles. Almost every candle except for some Virgen de Guadalupe week-long intention candles (these, to be exact) was sold, so I bought one and went home. It did its trick and made my apartment smell like roses.

Anyway, as I watched the candle burn, I got to wondering if there was a devotion to the Virgen de Guadalupe in the WRO. Most WR debates I have seen have centered around things like the Sacred Heart and Corpus Christi, but I haven't heard much discussion about various Marian apparitions (aside from generally suspicious comments about Lourdes and a general acceptance of Our Lady of Walsingham).

Since many WR folks tend to discuss the importance of patrimony, my thoughts turned to what would be my western Orthodox patrimony (since there is not likely to be a WRO rural southern fundamentalist rite any time soon Wink), and it is -- regionally, anyway -- Acadian Catholicism, which has a significant devotion to Our Lady of Prompt Succor.

How does someone in the WR determine what is and isn't acceptable for Orthodox veneration from the western tradition?
I don't know about from a WRO perspective, or official approval, but I've seen the Virgin of Guadalupe in Eastern Orthodox Churches (but IIRC, not in the sanctuary, but in the narthex or such).  As opposed to Lourdes or Fatima, there is nothing unorthodox or heterodox about Guadalupe, except Juan Diego wasn't Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »

I believe that in the OCA cathedral's nave in Mexico City there is a fresco of this apparition painted in with all of the Orthodox iconography.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:03:22 AM »

(but IIRC, not in the sanctuary, but in the narthex or such)

How would it be different?
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »

From another thread:
This version of the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe was painted by a Greek Orthodox monk:

I even have a Russian Orthodox icon catalog that used to sell this icon.

There are several tropars and kondaks written for the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Here is an example:

Troparion—Tone 6

The peasant joyfully held open his cloak to contain roses growing out of season, most Holy Mother, and he quickly carried the flowers to his bishop. In just such a way, you joyfully opened yourself to contain the Babe, growing before you had known man. The flowers carried by the peasant formed an image of you on his cloak. The Child carried by you formed you into an image of His grace. Therefore we cry out to you, Rejoice, most holy Mother of God.

Kontakion—Tone 4

When Adam and Eve sinned, they were promised that one would come that would crush the serpent. The serpent fled to the west, into a land of people that did not know God. But the serpent was not hidden from the wrath of God, and the Child that you so lightly carried in your arms was too heavy for the serpent’s skull. Therefore, we cry out to you, pray for us, most holy Theotokos.

Another Kontakion, Tone 8. Special melody: Ti hypermacho:
The precious mantle * of your Protection * which once pious Andrew saw * as you revealed yourself * to him praying * in the Emp’ror’s city * is now seen by all the faithful in the Tilma of Tepeyac * from which falls God’s grace * like a shower of roses from paradise * that will crush the ancient serpent’s head * as we all sing to you: * Rejoice, O Virgin of Guadalupe.

NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »

Does anyone sell that Icon anymore? 
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »

I don't know about from a WRO perspective, or official approval, but I've seen the Virgin of Guadalupe in Eastern Orthodox Churches (but IIRC, not in the sanctuary, but in the narthex or such).  As opposed to Lourdes or Fatima, there is nothing unorthodox or heterodox about Guadalupe, except Juan Diego wasn't Orthodox.
Doesn't "She who has vanquished the Serpent" stem from that terrible RC misstranslation of Genesis 3:15?

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:07:41 PM »

There are several tropars and kondaks written for the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Here is an example:

Troparion—Tone 6

The peasant joyfully held open his cloak to contain roses growing out of season, most Holy Mother, and he quickly carried the flowers to his bishop. In just such a way, you joyfully opened yourself to contain the Babe, growing before you had known man. The flowers carried by the peasant formed an image of you on his cloak. The Child carried by you formed you into an image of His grace. Therefore we cry out to you, Rejoice, most holy Mother of God.

Kontakion—Tone 4

When Adam and Eve sinned, they were promised that one would come that would crush the serpent. The serpent fled to the west, into a land of people that did not know God. But the serpent was not hidden from the wrath of God, and the Child that you so lightly carried in your arms was too heavy for the serpent’s skull. Therefore, we cry out to you, pray for us, most holy Theotokos.

The precious mantle * of your Protection * which once pious Andrew saw * as you revealed yourself * to him praying * in the Emp’ror’s city * is now seen by all the faithful in the Tilma of Tepeyac * from which falls God’s grace * like a shower of roses from paradise * that will crush the ancient serpent’s head * as we all sing to you: * Rejoice, O Virgin of Guadalupe.

There is no feast to this image in any Orthodox calendar I have on hand or have encountered; the troparia and kontakia must be of Eastern Catholic origin.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »

Troparion—Tone 6

Kontakion—Tone 4

There is no feast to this image in any Orthodox calendar I have on hand or have encountered; the troparia and kontakia must be of Eastern Catholic origin.

Forgive me, but it seems to me they are also of little poetic quality.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »

Doesn't "She who has vanquished the Serpent" stem from that terrible RC misstranslation of Genesis 3:15?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_of_Guadalupe

According to the account of Juan Diego, the Virgin Mary described herself using the Aztec Nahuatl word-name of Coatlaxopeuh (pronounced "quatlachupe") which the Spanish misunderstood as being the word "Guadalupe". In Nahuatl "Coa" meant serpent, "tla" the noun ending which can be interpreted as "the", and "xopeuh" means to crush or to stamp out, translating to mean: the one "who crushes the serpent,"

This reflects Catholic theology, in understanding that Mary is the woman described in the twelfth chapter of St. John's Apocalypse.
Yes, it definitely looks like we have an apparition endorsing false doctrine ("I am the Immaculate Conception," anyone?)

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:29 PM »

Troparion—Tone 6

Kontakion—Tone 4

As far as I know my Metropolia is the only Eastern Catholic Church that has officially added the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe to the calendar and composed hymns for it.  The above are not from the Byzantine Catholic Church.

http://www.metropolitancantorinstitute.org/sheetmusic/general/MenaionDecember

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »

It does, but I'm not sure if this wasn't added by the Vatican's devout, just like the image of the moon etc. on the tilme are additions added on (perhaps to make it into the woman of Revelation):they are not part of the original image.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »

The above are not from the Byzantine Catholic Church.

I can assure you they are not part of Orthodox hymnography, either.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »

It does, but I'm not sure if this wasn't added by the Vatican's devout, just like the image of the moon etc. on the tilme are additions added on (perhaps to make it into the woman of Revelation):they are not part of the original image.
But the word Guadalupe itself means, "She who has vanquished the Serpent." Unless you go with Gloria Anzaldua's syncretic translation- "Queen of the Serpents."

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »

This icon is now available from Greece...

http://www.autom.com/autom/Over-600-New-Items_1614710/Icons_1625900/Item_Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-Icon_1559833.htm

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:33:32 AM »

And so are "icons" of God the Father as an old man, the notorious "ark of salvation" picture, and any number of other images which are contrary to Orthodox doctrine and theology. Their mere presence in a bookstore inventory does not confer canonicity upon them.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »

And so are "icons" of God the Father as an old man, the notorious "ark of salvation" picture, and any number of other images which are contrary to Orthodox doctrine and theology. Their mere presence in a bookstore inventory does not confer canonicity upon them.
It looks Turkish to me.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:08 AM »

But the word Guadalupe itself means, "She who has vanquished the Serpent." Unless you go with Gloria Anzaldua's syncretic translation- "Queen of the Serpents."
Guadalupe means "Valley of the Wolf," a Arabic-Latin hybrid naming a town in central Spain.  The earliest account of Juan Diego are over a century after the event, and I don't know if this "Coatlaxopeuh" is part of the original story, or embellished, like the image, later to fit the Vatican's Marian expectations.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »

My suspicions have been confirmed: the website to which Fr Giryus linked is Roman Catholic. The wares available in the icon section include an "icon" of the "Holy Family" (with St Joseph embracing the Mother of God - a definite no-no), and an image of the Nativity which is simply a neo-Byzantine rendering of western imagery, devoid of Orthodox doctrine and theology of the feast. Both images are quite unsuitable as Orthodox icons.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »

How silly!  Everything you get from a Greek bookstore is perfect!  Just like everything you read in a book is absolutely true!   Cheesy

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 01:25:39 AM »

I don't know why la virgen de Guadalupe would be found in any WRO parish. It's a symbol of Mexican folklore/nationalism/mythos just as much (or more so) than "western Christian" heritage. Last time I checked, most WRO parishes weren't very heavily populated with Mexicans. Most of the Orthodox churches in Mexico proper are solidly Byzantine (with the exception of the Coptic church in Morelos, of course). So who would want it there? Who would venerate it? Nobody. It has no connection to any part of the Orthodox faith.

Aside: Strangely, "Guadalupe" is about the only "wadi" derived term I couldn't find in Weston's "Remains of Arabic in the Spanish and Portuguese Languages" (1810), which lists all kinds of things I didn't even know about (not being an expert in Spanish geography or Arabic, after all), e.g., Guadazelete from wadi zallat, which the author translates as "river of prayers" as zellat ("errors") beget prayers. I really, really doubt that explanation, as it seems more likely that the Spanish pronunciation would have converted the emphatic S in "sallat" (prayers) to Z, as they did with the emphatic D elsewhere. Anyway...only one place name is recorded to have the mixed Arabic-Latin of "Guadalupe" -- "Guadalethe", which attaches wadi to the Roman name ("Lethes") for a river in Andalusia.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:33:15 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 02:52:43 AM »

I would find it very dissapointing if any WRO parishes gave any legitimacy to any western post-schism apparitions.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:34 AM »

Yeah, really.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:20:14 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »

Guadalupe means "Valley of the Wolf," a Arabic-Latin hybrid naming a town in central Spain. 
Oh, you're right! I should have known better. I'd heard that before *facepalm*
The earliest account of Juan Diego are over a century after the event, and I don't know if this "Coatlaxopeuh" is part of the original story, or embellished, like the image, later to fit the Vatican's Marian expectations.
I see.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 04:43:58 AM »

I would find it very dissapointing if any WRO parishes gave any legitimacy to any western post-schism apparitions.

I wouldn't find it disappointing. I'd find it outrageous and unacceptable.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »

I don't know why la virgen de Guadalupe would be found in any WRO parish. It's a symbol of Mexican folklore/nationalism/mythos just as much (or more so) than "western Christian" heritage. Last time I checked, most WRO parishes weren't very heavily populated with Mexicans. Most of the Orthodox churches in Mexico proper are solidly Byzantine (with the exception of the Coptic church in Morelos, of course). So who would want it there? Who would venerate it? Nobody. It has no connection to any part of the Orthodox faith.

Aside: Strangely, "Guadalupe" is about the only "wadi" derived term I couldn't find in Weston's "Remains of Arabic in the Spanish and Portuguese Languages" (1810), which lists all kinds of things I didn't even know about (not being an expert in Spanish geography or Arabic, after all), e.g., Guadazelete from wadi zallat, which the author translates as "river of prayers" as zellat ("errors") beget prayers. I really, really doubt that explanation, as it seems more likely that the Spanish pronunciation would have converted the emphatic S in "sallat" (prayers) to Z, as they did with the emphatic D elsewhere. Anyway...only one place name is recorded to have the mixed Arabic-Latin of "Guadalupe" -- "Guadalethe", which attaches wadi to the Roman name ("Lethes") for a river in Andalusia.

Did it have my favorite Guadalajara "river of s*/t"?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »

I wouldn't find it disappointing. I'd find it outrageous and unacceptable.
I know I've never heard wind of the WRO accepting post scism apparitions.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »

Wadi el khara... Oh, that's hilarious! I never knew that.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »

It's depicted in the new Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul in Mexico:

As well as in the Antiochian Orthodox Monastery of St. Anthony the Great:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8135007@N03/2249351542/sizes/m/in/set-72157603790788629/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8135007@N03/2261240877/sizes/m/in/set-72157603790788629/
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

Yes, actually, but mistranslated as "river of stones". I don't know if this was on purpose or not (maybe the correct translation would have been too scandalous in 1810). Neither the handwritten Arabic nor the transliteration provided match "el hajara" (though they don't match each other, either: el khara vs. lchara...where in the Arab world is ch a transliteration for kh? Maybe among the Jews?)

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »

It's depicted in the new Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul in Mexico:

As well as in the Antiochian Orthodox Monastery of St. Anthony the Great:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8135007@N03/2249351542/sizes/m/in/set-72157603790788629/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8135007@N03/2261240877/sizes/m/in/set-72157603790788629/

Most probably that is an attempt to "fit in" to their local neighborhood.  It doesn't make it "right". 

Orthodoxy shouldn't change to fit in, we need to change to fit in with Orthodoxy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »

Actually, Guadelajara does come from wadi el-hajara (Rock River), and not from the modern Arabic expletive (though I have seen Arabs crack up when the Greek word for "joy" is used in church services).

The reason it can't be from khara is that it's guadi-el-ajara. So, the "a" at the beginning of the second part has to be explained. In the transition from Mozarabic to Early Modern Spanish, both the sounds حand  خ gets dropped completely or turned into silent h's, not turned into j's. For example, the خ in مخدة  becomes a silent h in almohada. The Spanish "j" only came to be pronounced as a "kh" sometime after the 15th century. We know this because in Ladino (Judeo-Spanish) it is pronounced like an English "j". Thus it makes more sense for وادي الحجرة to become Guadelajara than for the obscene option, which would probably become something like Guadelare or Guadelari (due to imala in the final vowel).
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

That sounds plausible, Samn, but there are some things that don't really follow that pattern, such as kh and H turning into f in words like alfayata (from khiaTut) and alfalfa (from Helfa). What's the deal? They're not deleted or turned into silent H's.

I don't really know anything about Spanish historical linguistics, so I'm not claiming you're wrong, just wondering.

Samn!
Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »

Okay, so I looked up reflexes of Arabic [kh] in Federico Corriente's (Google-Bookable!) Dictionary of Arabic and allied loanwords: Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Galician and kindred dialects, p. xxxix. The most common thing is to simply lose the sound or write it as 'h'. It also sometimes shows up as 'c' or 'g' and 'f', the latter of which often still winds up becoming an h later on, as f and h merge in certain positions in Castillian and become unpronounced.

According to Corriente's discussion of the term, alfalfa probably comes from al-fasfasa, though....

For our purposes discussing Guadelajara, my point still stands, since there are still no cases of an Andalusi Arabic kh showing up as 'j' in Spanish. The Arabic loanwords into Spanish that use 'j' for [kh] are all modern.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

Alright. I have a little bit of Corriente's stuff. I'll have to find it and look it up, as I'm sure it's in there. It's definitely much more reliable than Weston (which I chose because I have it in PDF and it's a lot easier to digest, since it's in dictionary format).

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

I believe that in the OCA cathedral's nave in Mexico City there is a fresco of this apparition painted in with all of the Orthodox iconography.

I saw one at Project Mexico, but it was quite different than the usual RC image. According to the Orthodox in Mexico I talked with, the usual Guadalupe has on it symbolism which is syncretistic, added later by a priest to try and win Aztecs over. The Orthodox image is much simpler.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »

The Orthodox image is much simpler.

Orthodox image? It is not part of Orthodox tradition, my friend. None of the versions express established and fundamental Orthodox teachings on the Mother of God.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »

It depends on the feast and the interpretation given to it.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »

The Orthodox image is much simpler.

Orthodox image? It is not part of Orthodox tradition, my friend. None of the versions express established and fundamental Orthodox teachings on the Mother of God.

I meant the one I saw in an Orthodox church. I don't know if it's still there. I didn't mean to apply to it Official Orthodox Status.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »

What feast? There is no Orthodox feast associated with this image.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »

What feast? There is no Orthodox feast associated with this image.

Some WRO, to varying extents, celebrate post-schism Marian feasts, not with this image that I've seen so far, but with post-schism commemorations, IIRC.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »

Some WRO, to varying extents, celebrate post-schism Marian feasts, not with this image that I've seen so far, but with post-schism commemorations, IIRC.

Are you sure on that? I sincerely hope you're mistaken. Celebrating non-Orthodox feasts sounds like the sort of syncretistic nonsense seen at New Skete .....  Roll Eyes
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »

Are you sure on that? I sincerely hope you're mistaken. Celebrating non-Orthodox feasts sounds like the sort of syncretistic nonsense seen at New Skete .....  Roll Eyes

Some WRO churches do Sacred Heart and Blessed Sacrament feasts, in ways a bit different than done by Roman Catholics. Some do not. Even in the Antiochian Archdiocese there is variation.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

Some WRO churches do Sacred Heart and Blessed Sacrament feasts, in ways a bit different than done by Roman Catholics. Some do not. Even in the Antiochian Archdiocese there is variation.

The fact that they are being done in any form is cause for alarm, and must be dealt with. What next, celebrating the Immaculate Conception?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »

The fact that they are being done in any form is cause for alarm, and must be dealt with. What next, celebrating the Immaculate Conception?

It's not like there are secret things being done without the knowledge of bishops. I find that if one actually attends several WRO churches and gets to know WRO priests and people well there will be less cause for alarm. It's not like they're a papist fifth column--any more so than their ERO counterparts.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: