OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to pray  (Read 483 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »

Standing up or sitting? Facing east even if I don't have any icons yet? Aloud or silently?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »

I can only say what I do... I pray standing, unless my back begins to stiffen up (I have back problems), which signals that pain might follow if I don't take it easy. I face east if I can. Regarding icons, don't forget that you can print icons out and use them if you want. I tend to pray softly aloud, as it helps me not lose focus, and also reminds me that Orthodoxy is not just a mental or intellectual thing, but involves the whole human person; and also that it involves not just thinking something, but communication between a person and God, with the entire Church being (in some small way) impacted.

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »

This is just my personal practice, but I usually pray standing. I tend to pray out loud, when I'm at home.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

Different saints have had a habit of assuming different postures. There is no blanket answer for this question. My advice, until you can talk to a priest and get his guidance, would be that whatever "posture" (standing, kneeling, sitting, facing east, or whatever) will get you to pray, do that.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »

Facing east is a standard Christian practice. The only reason for not observing this would be if the space you're praying in makes it impractical (e.g. the only suitable place to hang your icons is on the southern wall - facing the icons trumps facing east).

The 'default' posture for prayer is standing upright, although sitting is the norm when reciting the Jesus Prayer. Most prayer rules will also contain a number of bows and prostrations. If you're praying from a prayer book these are often indicated.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What if one is praying an akathist? Those are a bit lengthy. Should they still be read aloud?

Also, is it alright to venerate the blessed cross I wear around my neck if I'm saying a prayer to the Cross? Is it alright to hang it from something and venerate it?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

In the Russian Church we have lengthy prayers before we can go to communion and I say them out loud for as long as I can.  If I can't continue saying them aloud, I try to at least whisper, but if I can't I just say them silently.  And regarding the Cross, I was told we should never take it off.  Sometimes I pull it out from under my shirt though and kiss it. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: