OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:41:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Llama Avatars  (Read 2966 times) Average Rating: 0
spiros

OC.net

« on: July 02, 2004, 04:27:53 PM »

I find the Llama avatars confusing,especially when more than one poster uses them. I was told on another post it is the default.  I would submit a respectful proposal to the Board to get rid of the Llamas, because-

1. Llamas are not native to any traditionally Orthodox Country.There were no Llamas in 19th Century Russia!
2. In my limited experience they are a nasty animal, exhibiting few Christian virtues.
3. A disproportionate number of our Catholic visitors seem to be stuck with them, this does not seem to be in the spirit of Eastern Christian hospitality. How can we be entertaining Angels unawares when we are looking at a camelid mammal?
4. Llamas should be a choice, not a default. Would any rational creature with free will Choose to look like that??

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:50:58 PM »

4. Llamas should be a choice, not a default. Would any rational creature with free will Choose to look like that??

And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.  And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the cattle according to their kinds, and everything that creeps upon the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1.24-25

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 06:14:48 PM »

Hey Phil,

there are no lamas in the quote, cattle & lamas are different beasts, besides I don't eat them...........hmm hamburgers

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 08:00:30 PM »

The one-L lama, he's a priest.
The two-L llama, he's a beast.
And I will bet a silk pajama,
There's no such thing as a
three-L Lllama.

Ogden Nash.

(Ebor)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 03:28:37 AM »

(Ahem) *weighing in for the noble pack mule of South America*

1. Llamas are not native to any traditionally Orthodox Country.There were no Llamas in 19th Century Russia!
2. In my limited experience they are a nasty animal, exhibiting few Christian virtues.
3. A disproportionate number of our Catholic visitors seem to be stuck with them, this does not seem to be in the spirit of Eastern Christian hospitality. How can we be entertaining Angels unawares when we are looking at a camelid mammal?

How DARE you sir!   Wink

The llama -- as well as its close, S. American cousin, the alpaca -- has faithfully provided thousands of years of dependable transportation (and food, Jakub!  Grin) to countless generations of Incas and their descendants!  These noble beasts, while perhaps not around in 19th Century Russia, would have no doubt been of great assistance there, as their endurance far outdoes any pack mule.  Add to this servitude the indignity of being sacrificed to Pancha Mama (Mother Earth) on a still-regular basis, and your maligning them seems grossly out of line.

Is outrage, sir.  Is OUTRAGE.

Que tengan buen d+¡a.

Pedro, who, yes, is in a weird mood.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 12:00:20 PM »

(Ahem) *weighing in for the noble pack mule of South America*How DARE you sir!   Wink

The llama -- as well as its close, S. American cousin, the alpaca -- has faithfully provided thousands of years of dependable transportation (and food, Jakub!  Grin) to countless generations of Incas and their descendants!  These noble beasts, while perhaps not around in 19th Century Russia, would have no doubt been of great assistance there, as their endurance far outdoes any pack mule.  Add to this servitude the indignity of being sacrificed to Pancha Mama (Mother Earth) on a still-regular basis, and your maligning them seems grossly out of line.

Is outrage, sir.  Is OUTRAGE.

Que tengan buen d+¡a.

Pedro, who, yes, is in a weird mood.

And up way too late at night, too.  Grin Wink

Your noble defense reminds me of Benjamin Franklin's support of why the turkey should be the national bird of the U.S.  "The turkey is a noble bird."   Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »

Now my Ox is getting gored!
Wild Turkeys are uniquely American. They only fight when attacked or for sex in the Spring. They live by their industry, not predation. During the Revolution, Daniel Morgan used a Turkey call to rally his men, striking fear into the hearts of the redcoats. Franklin was right. How about Turkey Avatars? It would be a great improvement over Llamas.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 07:13:39 PM »

I rather view a dove avatar then one of those spitting smelly beasts.

We had a few "llama" ranches out here but they went the way of the dodo bird.

Won't tolerate rude behavior, be it from a man or beast.

JB
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 07:19:39 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 01:03:07 AM »

I have been told that llamas are very protective of flocks of sheep in their care and will defend them against coyotes with great vigor.  They stomp on them.
So beware the guard llama!

Spiros, I admire Dr. Franklin's support of the Wild Turkey.  The scene in "1776" (A very seasonal movie for right now) in which Adams, Jefferson and Franklin are discussing the emblem of the new country is wonderful.

Adams: the eagle
Jefferson: the dove
Franklin: ...the turkey.

He then goes on to enumerate the virtues of the turkey contrasted with the lack of them in the eagle.

Ebor

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 02:46:42 PM »

Ebor,
I know a local farmer who bought a guard Llama to protect his little goat herd. The llama stomped and killed either 11 or 13 goats in one day (I cant remember the exact death toll!) I once went to buy some sheep for breeding stock on a farm that had a guard LLama. They still were loosing sheep to coyotes, but the uncontrollable beast did manage to drive off the buyer!  IMHO  Donkeys and guardian dogs work somewhat better than Llamas, though predation is a complicated issue. (thanks be to God, my herd is not troubled by dogs or Coyotes much)

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 03:01:07 PM »

Good golly!!  To quote "The Emperor's New Groove" (a very funny movie)

"Demon llama!!"

I assure you, Spiros, I have no personal interest or investment in llamas.  I was just told at our local fair some years ago that the person showing her llama found her/him a good guard for the owner's flock too.

I quess that llamas have very individual personalities just like humans.

Ebor

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 09:54:01 AM »

When driving into Jordanville, people might notice a llama guarding a herd of goats & sheep.  It's a very nice llama, & is particularly fond of kulich (as we found out this past Pascha).

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 06:00:16 PM »

Bit confused by the camelids. I know that shepherds find one allowed to graze among the flock acts as a very effective deterrent to predatory canines. Sounds like they might appeal to traditionally minded Christian Orthodox, maybe?

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 09:52:55 PM »

Bit confused by the camelids. I know that shepherds find one allowed to graze among the flock acts as a very effective deterrent to predatory canines. Sounds like they might appeal to traditionally minded Christian Orthodox, maybe?

umm, considering what Spiros wrote above about a llama that stomped some goats in it's care to death, I don't think we want to take the comparison *too* far.  
 Smiley

Ebor

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 10:12:22 PM »

How did they become the default avatar anyway??

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 10:34:28 PM »

I think it's from the basic program that this forum is made from.  The Captain could explain.

My guess is that some programmer was making a forum program and thought something like "Huh, I need to have a place for an avatar... what picture can I put there?  Movie? nah. Anime? uh-uh.  Eh, how about that llama.  It's goofy."  Maybe it was Jolt-cola induced delirium?  

Ebor

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 11:50:51 PM »

Ebor

If you're buying I'll have a double expresso.

Nothing like a lighting bolt to stir the mind.

james

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 06:25:34 PM »

The suggestion of substituting doves for llamas as avatars appears compelling, after all they don't bite, spit or kick. And they have a Biblical pedigree........

But, if memory serves me, doves are actually quite quarrelsome birds............?

Now donkeys perhaps................ Kiss

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 08:53:22 PM »

8)Great joy, I got rid of the llama........................................... Grin

4Truth

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »

Things could be worse, you know.  At least the default is not an emu!  And, those sunglasses provide a mite of anonymity!  

4Truth
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 11:34:46 PM »

IF there had been Llamas in Palestine, Our Lord would have definately separated them from the faithful goats and sent them to where there would be wailing and knashing of teeth.
You are right 4truth, emus may be worse!

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 01:45:07 AM »

Things could be worse, you know.  At least the default is not an emu!
[places tongue in cheek]
Hey! I hope you realise you are dissing the noble animal standing on the right of the shield in the Australian Coat of Arms Angry
Struth Mate! You better watch yourself if you ever come around here (rolls sleeves up).

[removes tongue from cheek]
 Wink Grin

John.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 11:05:20 AM »

8)Good on yer, Mates - a right tickle was just what a bloke needed.............

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: