OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:13:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vicars of Christ.  (Read 385 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

AVE MARIA.

« on: June 18, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

Could we ( Catholics ), say that " All the believers are Vicars of Christ " somehow. And not only The Pope and the Bishops ?

Would that be a heresy if someone believed such thing ?
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »

Well, this is an Orthodox forum...

Christ doesn't need a Vicar. (Matthew 28:20)

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Raylight
OC.net guru

AVE MARIA.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »

Well, this is an Orthodox forum...

Christ doesn't need a Vicar. (Matthew 28:20)

I mean for the Catholic understanding that Christ need a Vicar.
 Warned for 2 weeks for attempting to make the Orthodox Catholic section a Catholics only zone. Also for starting improper threads in this section.  Please read the forum description.  -username section moderator
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »

Could we ( Catholics ), say that " All the believers are Vicars of Christ " somehow. And not only The Pope and the Bishops ?

No.

Yes.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »

sounds Protestant to me.

We are all icons of Christ though.

Well, supposed to be anyway. I'd be in the "schlock icons" thread, for example  Roll Eyes

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:49:26 PM »

When you say Catholics are you referring of the Holy Catholic Apostolic Orthodox Church or somebody else?

Grin  Wink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:49:55 PM by Cantor Krishnich » Logged

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »

In the Catholic Church, the "Vicar of Christ" is a role that is unique to the Bishop of Rome.  Bishops, including the Bishop Rome, are seen as the successors of the Apostles, but only the Bishop of Rome is seen as the unique successor of St. Peter.

It would be heresy to say that anyone, even another Bishop, could fulfill this role.  Only the Bishop of Rome as part of his office can inherit and take part in "the Petrine Ministry" which includes the title "Vicar of Christ".  It would also be worth noting that St. Leo the Great referred to himself as a Vicar, but not of Christ.  St. Leo saw himself as the "Vicar of St. Peter".

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Raylight
OC.net guru

AVE MARIA.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:30:15 AM »

sounds Protestant to me.

We are all icons of Christ though.

Well, supposed to be anyway. I'd be in the "schlock icons" thread, for example  Roll Eyes

Lol.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:30:52 AM by Raylight » Logged
Raylight
OC.net guru

AVE MARIA.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 05:35:00 AM »

When you say Catholics are you referring of the Holy Catholic Apostolic Orthodox Church or somebody else?

Grin  Wink

That is confusing, because the Orthodox and the Anglican also use the word " Catholic " to describe their Church. But I mean the Catholic who follow the Church of Rome  Wink
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicar

I hope this may answer you question:
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »

Raylight, since your decision to become Roman Catholic, have you found many RCC friends and resources?

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

In the Catholic Church, the "Vicar of Christ" is a role that is unique to the Bishop of Rome.  Bishops, including the Bishop Rome, are seen as the successors of the Apostles, but only the Bishop of Rome is seen as the unique successor of St. Peter.

It would be heresy to say that anyone, even another Bishop, could fulfill this role.  Only the Bishop of Rome as part of his office can inherit and take part in "the Petrine Ministry" which includes the title "Vicar of Christ".  It would also be worth noting that St. Leo the Great referred to himself as a Vicar, but not of Christ.  St. Leo saw himself as the "Vicar of St. Peter".

Wrong.

894 "The bishops, as vicars and legates of Christ, govern the particular Churches assigned to them by their counsels, exhortations, and example, but over and above that also by the authority and sacred power" which indeed they ought to exercise so as to edify, in the spirit of service which is that of their Master.426
1560 As Christ's vicar, each bishop has the pastoral care of the particular Church entrusted to him, but at the same time he bears collegially with all his brothers in the episcopacy the solicitude for all the Churches: "Though each bishop is the lawful pastor only of the portion of the flock entrusted to his care, as a legitimate successor of the apostles he is, by divine institution and precept, responsible with the other bishops for the apostolic mission of the Church."41

Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »

From Vatican I:
And so, supported by the clear witness of holy scripture, and adhering to the manifest and explicit decrees both of our predecessors the Roman pontiffs and of general councils, we promulgate anew the definition of the ecumenical council of Florence, which must be believed by all faithful Christians, namely that the apostolic see and the Roman pontiff hold a world-wide primacy, and that the Roman pontiff is the successor of blessed Peter, the prince of the apostles, true vicar of Christ, head of the whole church and father and teacher of all christian people. To him, in blessed Peter, full power has been given by our lord Jesus Christ to tend, rule and govern the universal church.

This was the quote from Vatican I that I had in mind. I will grant you that it says nothing about whether or not the Bishop of Rome is the only Vicar of Christ, it simply says that he is the true Vicar.  What that means in relation to other bishops, I can't say really.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »

From Vatican I:
And so, supported by the clear witness of holy scripture, and adhering to the manifest and explicit decrees both of our predecessors the Roman pontiffs and of general councils, we promulgate anew the definition of the ecumenical council of Florence, which must be believed by all faithful Christians, namely that the apostolic see and the Roman pontiff hold a world-wide primacy, and that the Roman pontiff is the successor of blessed Peter, the prince of the apostles, true vicar of Christ, head of the whole church and father and teacher of all christian people. To him, in blessed Peter, full power has been given by our lord Jesus Christ to tend, rule and govern the universal church.

This was the quote from Vatican I that I had in mind. I will grant you that it says nothing about whether or not the Bishop of Rome is the only Vicar of Christ, it simply says that he is the true Vicar.  What that means in relation to other bishops, I can't say really.
It doesn't say the true Vicar of Christ. It just says true Vicar of Christ. The former would exclude other true vicars, while the latter would not.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

From Vatican I:

It doesn't say the true Vicar of Christ. It just says true Vicar of Christ. The former would exclude other true vicars, while the latter would not.

But by that logic there's also no the in front of head of the whole church and father and teacher of all christian people, which I don't think any Catholic would deny can only apply to the Pope.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »

From Vatican I:

I just quoted the Catechsim of the Catholic Church which tells you.  I do apologize I forgot the attribution in former post.

Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »

From Vatican I:

I just quoted the Catechsim of the Catholic Church which tells you.  I do apologize I forgot the attribution in former post.

My mistake for not recognizing. I've done some more reading on the issue and you could have easily quoted Vatican II as well.  I think it would be fair to say, for Raylight's sake, that Bishops may be called "Vicar's of Christ" according to Catholic teaching but laymen can definitely not.

Raylight
OC.net guru

AVE MARIA.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

From Vatican I:

My mistake for not recognizing. I've done some more reading on the issue and you could have easily quoted Vatican II as well.  I think it would be fair to say, for Raylight's sake, that Bishops may be called "Vicar's of Christ" according to Catholic teaching but laymen can definitely not.

Thank you Sam G Smiley

Now I got the answer.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: