Author Topic: Saddam Hussein's family history Christians?  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Jerempire

• ICXC NIKA
Saddam Hussein's family history Christians?
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:26 PM »
I was just reading a Road to Emmanus Journal, Vol. X, No. 4 (#39), where they were interviewing Dr. George Bebawi and he mentioned that
" Saddam's family was originally Christian—they only converted to Islam fifty years ago. Tikrit, where Saddaam was from, was a flourishing Christian city then." I been trying to verify this by checking other sources, but it is not mentioned anywhere else. Anybody else know anything about this?
"Ask with tears, seek with obedience, knock with patience. For thus he who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" St. John Climacus

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
Re: Saddam Hussein's family history Christians?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:14:51 AM »
I'm not overly familiar with Tikrit's history, but Tariq Aziz and other members of the Ba'ath Party (including many from that north-central corridor) are/were Christian.  Nothing like Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, or even Jordan, but Iraq maintained many sizable Christian communities until very recently.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »
well, that certainly explains alot...lol j/k...kind of ;)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:56:40 AM »
No, Saddam's family had tribal connections, and they weren't Christian tribes.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 03:09:09 AM »
I have friends from Iraq who say his nanny was Christian.  Of course I can't verify it.  He was very tolerant toward Christians though, so one wonders what in his background would have made him that way.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »
Interesting speculation. I understand he had a particular fondness for respites at a Greek Orthodox monastery.

At the least Christians were far better off than now.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Jerempire

• ICXC NIKA
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
ya I was doing a bit more research and Tikrit did have a large christian monastery a thousand years ago. But Dr. George Bebawi ( PHD) is a celebrated church historian and Patristics scholar, I would doubt he would make a claim like that without some good evidence.
"Ask with tears, seek with obedience, knock with patience. For thus he who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" St. John Climacus

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
ya I was doing a bit more research and Tikrit did have a large christian monastery a thousand years ago. But Dr. George Bebawi ( PHD) is a celebrated church historian and Patristics scholar, I would doubt he would make a claim like that without some good evidence.

IIRC, my source was a National Geographic article. I'll check.

Saddam's retreat was still active (with one monk, I think).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
his wife (or was it mistress ?) was greek
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:57:57 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »
Apparently Saddam was given the key to the city of Detroit in 1980 for donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to a local Chaldean Church:

http://www.omg-facts.com/Celebs/Saddam-Hussein-was-given-the-key-to-the/58803

Who would've known?

Oh yeah, and Thread resurrection!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:30:54 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:01:19 PM »
Apparently Saddam was given the key to the city of Detroit in 1980 for donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to a local Chaldean Church:

LOL!

I always had a soft spot for him.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

LOL!

I always had a soft spot for him.
Me too, to a certain extent. All his atrocities aside, he at least kept Iraq together. He was the lesser of two great evils, IMHO, especially for Iraq's Christians.

Now that he's gone the Iraqi military is in disarray, the economy in shambles, national security nonexistent, the Christians practically exterminated, and the whole country is in a constant of infighting and civil war.

But I'll stop while I'm ahead...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:00:58 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
Interesting speculation. I understand he had a particular fondness for respites at a Greek Orthodox monastery.
If you could provide more information about this I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:37:04 PM by Severian »

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »

It has been a long time, but as I recall I did not read this on the Internet but learned of this (I think) on a PBS piece about Saddam's palaces and retreats. At the time Hussein frequented the monastery only a single Greek Orthodox monk resided there. Maybe we can dig up something more.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

It has been a long time, but as I recall I did not read this on the Internet but learned of this (I think) on a PBS piece about Saddam's palaces and retreats. At the time Hussein frequented the monastery only a single Greek Orthodox monk resided there. Maybe we can dig up something more.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=20030410&id=WGVWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=n_IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5303,8383709

Interesting read. Thanks for sparking my interest Αριστοκλής!