OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism...  (Read 562 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »

Hey guys,

So since the Bishop is visiting the church I attend during the school year this weekend my priest is going to ask about my situation. Due to some odd circumstance my priest believes it may be best to baptize me instead of the typical receive through christmation deal. Can anyone run through a description of an Orthodox baptism? I looked on the OCA sight and couldn't find one...
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »

Hey guys,

So since the Bishop is visiting the church I attend during the school year this weekend my priest is going to ask about my situation. Due to some odd circumstance my priest believes it may be best to baptize me instead of the typical receive through christmation deal. Can anyone run through a description of an Orthodox baptism? I looked on the OCA sight and couldn't find one...

Go here - scroll down to Baptism. It's on the Greek Archdiocese website, but it will be virtually the same, just a few small bits different in the Greek practice. In the Greek practice, for example, the godparent rubs the oil of the catechumens all over the baby (not sure about in the case of an adult - but see the baptism scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!), while the priest does it in OCA practice.

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »

what a blessing, please let u know how it goes...  Smiley
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »

Yes, read through the baptismal service.  Very moving.  Don't get too caught up in the rubrics of it.  Even if you were to try to memorize it it would likely escape you in the moment.  I was baptized last September so I am coming up on a year.  I was nervous going into it because I didn't know what to do and when to do it, but the priest or my Godparents would just take me by the hand and lead me through it.  That in itself was an amazing lesson.  Congrats.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »

In the Greek practice, for example, the godparent rubs the oil of the catechumens all over the baby (not sure about in the case of an adult - but see the baptism scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!),

Are you really sure that it was not only for the movie?
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »

In the Greek practice, for example, the godparent rubs the oil of the catechumens all over the baby (not sure about in the case of an adult - but see the baptism scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!),

I don't know about in the case of adults, but in the case of infant baptism, as I've actually witnessed and asked about afterwards, it is the practice among Greeks for the godparent to spread the oil all over the baby BEFORE the immersion. Not the chrism, but the oil of the catechumens.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

I don't know about in the case of adults, but in the case of infant baptism, as I've actually witnessed and asked about afterwards, it is the practice among Greeks for the godparent to spread the oil all over the baby BEFORE the immersion. Not the chrism, but the oil of the catechumens.
Yes, I know of stories of babies nearly slipping away, and older folks saying make sure (a la Achilles) to get every centimeter, lest the evil eye find an uncovered spot.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »

Cheesy

Yes, I know of stories of babies nearly slipping away, and older folks saying make sure (a la Achilles) to get every centimeter, lest the evil eye find an uncovered spot.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »

I will indeed be baptized. A sure date hasn't been set but there's 4 other catechumen actually...I'm not technically a catechumen since they became catechumen during the summer break and I live too far from the church I attend at school to go.
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »

If your priest baptizes you (or even if he chrismates you), he'll walk you through the entire thing as you're doing it. If I had a link, I'd give you one. Sorry.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: