OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eritrean community in Albuquerque, NM?  (Read 508 times) Average Rating: 0
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« on: September 02, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »

Greetings my oriental brethren! This semester I have an Eritrean student and since I told him I'm pretty involved in the Eastern and Oriental Catholic community here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, he asked if I know of any Eritreans here. I'm asking so of my contacts and I though I'd post a thread here to see if anyone happens to know. A Google search, sadly, wasn't helpful.

Even if there isn't a church here, a small community of Eritreans would mean a lot to him. I gave him the contact info for the local Eastern Orthodox Churches and the Coptic Orthodox community we have here, but that was all the help I could give.

Thanks in advance!

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »

Hello. I don't know about Eritreans, but there are a few Ethiopians in the local Coptic church (St. Bishoy's). I will ask about Eritreans next time I see them.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:15:35 AM »

WC,

You don't say whether he is an Eritrean (Ge'ez) Catholic or Eritrean Tewahado Orthodox - if the former, there is indeed an Eritrean Catholic community in Glendale, but last I knew it was not pastorally served on a regular basis. You can follow-up with the info on this directory page

A full list of all the Eritrean Catholic communities in the US which I've been able to identify - served, underserved, and unserved - is here.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: