OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 02:00:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Euchologion Equivalent  (Read 663 times) Average Rating: 0
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »

I have been looking all over for Coptic book of prayers and all I can find is the book of hours with like 6 additional prayers. I was curious is there an Euchologion equivalent? I have a hard time believing that there are not more church prayers. Thanks!
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »

Is this what you are looking for, or something else? http://www.stmaryscopticorthodox.ca/content/servicebooks/EUCHOLOGION2004.pdf

For stuff that can be prayed in or out of Church:
-There is the Agpeya, or the book of the hours, the seven canonical hours.
-There is the Psalmody or Praise, containing the Evening Praise, Midnight Praise, and Doxology of Prime.

For stuff that can only be prayed in Church with a priest:
-There is the Euchologion, or Liturgy book, which now typically contains the prayers and hymns for the Raising of Morning and Evening Incense, the Liturgy of the Word, the Three Anaphoras currently approved for use, and occasional prayers and hymns for the seasons.
-There are various other services in the Church (wedding, anointing of the sick, Baptism, funerals, etc...) I don't know if these are typically grouped together or what, at our church we just have booklets for each.

Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

i mean like prayers for everyday things... like prayer for protection or even things like a prayer for someone who is sick the additional prayers in the agpeya cover most of the basic ones but i know the greeks have a number of more prayers for laity to pray...
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »

Oh, I don't even think many of the prayers in the back of Agpeya's are authentic... the ones at my church only have prayers before and after Communion and list what saints composed them. Many of the "prayer before meals" types in other books look like the may be modern compositions of lesser quality.

Praying the Agpeya is always appropriate. There is no situation where the prayer of thanksgiving is not an appropriate prayer. The practice I am used to is praying these set prayers, and then praying for specific needs from your heart.
Tags: Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: