OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authority and Dissent in the Catholic Church  (Read 3093 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Father, this makes you sound pretty damn awesome, I must say.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

In reality you look more like Ambrose the White!!

In reality I am Ambrose the Brown.  Of my two younger brothers one is bald and one has turned white but for some freaky reason my hair has stayed dark brown.  But the beard has gone white!

Ah!...It was the beard I focused on.  You were transporting an icon.  Nice photo.

Ambrose the Brown and Gray laugh
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

In reality I am Ambrose the Brown.  Of my two younger brothers one is bald and one has turned white but for some freaky reason my hair has stayed dark brown.  But the beard has gone white!

Ah!...It was the beard I focused on.  You were transporting an icon.  Nice photo.

Here's Ambrose in Gray, CSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._P._Hill
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:47:12 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

In reality I am Ambrose the Brown.  Of my two younger brothers one is bald and one has turned white but for some freaky reason my hair has stayed dark brown.  But the beard has gone white!

Ah!...It was the beard I focused on.  You were transporting an icon.  Nice photo.

That is such a nice photo of you, all surrounded by books and icons.   Very appealing.  Very soothing.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

That is such a nice photo of you, all surrounded by books and icons.   Very appealing.  Very soothing.

All that's missing is a cat curled up in his lap.  Smiley
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

All that's missing is a cat curled up in his lap.  Smiley

True.  I don't know if he likes cats but I could probably provide one for every shelf on the book case from my collection.

Nevah!!...I say nevah!...take in strays.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:35:06 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »

True.  I don't know if he likes cats

IIRC he does. And there would be few monks on this earth who don't like 'em.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

I have an even dozen at the moment.  Eight of them are related by blood tie and proximity, and form a cohesive pride into which two others have been adopted for better and worse.  There is a brother and sister...my original two who are outsiders and who have to be kept pretty well separated from the rest though when I am there things remain calm.  But when I leave or at night, I have to partition the house.  If I had it to do again...I dunno.  It's a fair commitment and a ton of work!  I have help financially to keep them or I could not do it at all.  I do love them all...They are sweet, but they are NOT aloof...or self-contained.  Not this crew!  Clingers...every one of 'em!   Smiley

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:23 PM »

My last two cats died about 3 years ago.  An abby named Sam (our family always had Abyssinians) and a moggy named Ginger.  Sam was a very old 17 and Ginger was 13.  Their ashes now rest in my "cell" in two wooden boxes. Not sure what to do with them.  Miught suggest to my brother that he slip them into my coffin.  laugh
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

My last two cats died about 3 years ago.  An abby named Sam (our family always had Abyssinians) and a moggy named Ginger.  Sam was a very old 17 and Ginger was 13.  Their ashes now rest in my "cell" in two wooden boxes. Not sure what to do with them.  Miught suggest to my brother that he slip them into my coffin.  laugh

In order of arrival mine are Sister, Tucker, Harry, Daisy, Rosie, Red Dad, Willow, Lucy, Thumper, Murphy, Tyrone and Eli.  Four males and eight females.  Soup to nuts.  Mostly nuts.

They are young, the last eight, and I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a fear that they will out live me...

M.

PS: Madeline M. Mystery, Tygger Big Man, Elizabeth, Buffy, and Molly-Mopsy the Rabbit are all resting out in the yard under-hill...as it were. 

We also have baby skunks, bunnies, racoons, squirrels, chipmonks and ground hogs here in the summer. They run all over the porch leaving fleas and odd smells now and then.

I've got a resident porcupine also but I never see younglings...Just the big and he or she is HUGE.

A dozen or more bird varieties...

What else?....

That's enuff.

I want a goat!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:48:06 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

All cats are their own selves and personalities, and I've had many over the years. But special mention must go to Mistress, a grand old lady who lived to just shy of seventeen. Nothing nuts about this cat - by far the most eloquent in expressing herself, and she had more brains than many people I know. Still sorely missed after several years ....  Cry
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »

All cats are their own selves and personalities, and I've had many over the years. But special mention must go to Mistress, a grand old lady who lived to just shy of seventeen. Nothing nuts about this cat - by far the most eloquent in expressing herself, and she had more brains than many people I know. Still sorely missed after several years ....  Cry

She sounds like my Madeline M. Mystery [Myssy]...She was lovely, quite self possessed and in charge of her world and ours.  Always dignified...except at 3am when she would run a blue hand-ball around the house like a maniac.  She lived to be 24.  I keep the cats indoors...and the old bunny when the old bunny was still around, so they live a long time.   

Myssy had emerald green eyes.  If you looked at her eyes closely you could see they were  a sort of lemon-green in the background but they had blue chips in them, turquoise blue chips, like mosaic chips scattered loosely in her iris, that made her eyes look emerald green from a distance.  She's the Avatar on my Facebook page...

M.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »

Ambrose the Grey.

Thanks!   laugh

Smiley

Cool pic. Now that's what a priest of Jesus Christ should look like. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »

From NCR:

Fr. Charles Curran, arguably the most influential U.S. moral theologian for the last 45 years, will retire from full-time teaching this weekend, but will continue to write and occasionally teach in Dallas, Texas, at Southern Methodist University, where he has been a tenured professor since 1991.
Despite strong support from faculty groups, past and current students and the Catholic Theological Society of America, the Vatican’s Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith withdrew Curran’s license to teach Catholic theology in 1986.
“To more liberal Catholics, I was a saint, to more conservative Catholics, the devil,” Curran wrote in Loyal Dissent, his 2006 memoir. “The reality seems to me to fall somewhere between the two extremes, but my symbolic role created quite a bit of controversy in those days.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: authority dissent 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: