OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:55:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbp. Williams to praise Islam on 9/11  (Read 1080 times) Average Rating: 0
Etienne

OC.net

« on: July 25, 2004, 06:58:39 AM »

The Sunday Times, London, carries a report today that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, is to mark the third anniversary of the 11 September attacks by praising Islam in an address from the pulpit of the mosque at the Al-Azhar University, Cairo.

He will reportedly speak on the common ground between Christianity and Islam with their shared inheritance as 'children of Abraham'.

I must confess this report leaves me with very mixed feelings. Is the choice of the courageous or insensitive. What will my relatives in Brooklyn make of it? The use of the cliche 'children of Abraham' means what? It would appear to cover just about every thing from Arians, semi-Arians, Nestorians, Mormons, Jehoval Witnesses and every sect and faction of Judaism and Islam too.

It is true that both Christians and Moslems are neighbours, and in many places close neighbours. So we need to learn to co-exist without enmity and strike. However, our beliefs are incompatible no matter which way you cut it. As I began the report leaves me with mixed feelings............

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 01:45:01 PM »

Well, I, for one, am not going to waste energy denouncing  Cantuar+ until the actual words he says at the time are available. It's a 'wait and see' kind of thing. No judging on 'what he might say' only what he *does* say.

Re "Children of Abraham" - how about being descended from him via Ishmael?

I, again, recommend "The Trouble With Islam" by Irshad Manji

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 05:40:57 PM »

Thank you for the book recommendation. I already have the Observer's book on Islam, which is a factual presentation. Have a few books to buy so that one may have to wait.

Tks.....

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 07:25:09 PM »

Regarding the shared inheritance of Muslims, Jews, and Christians as the "Children of Abraham", I reccomend reading "Abraham : A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths" by Bruce Feiler.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 10:19:33 PM »

Regarding the mosque at Al-Azhar University, Cairo, I recommend procuring a copy of the book "Dynamite is our Friend"

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 06:04:24 AM »

Thank you, kind Sirs, for the various and intriguing book recommendations. At this rate I can see two things happening; Amazon doing quite well out of my account and me having no time to do my ironing.............. Grin

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 08:46:27 PM »

If I may, I should like to recommend www.bookfinder.com as an addition to your bibliophilic searchings, Etienne.  It links bookshops large and small in several countries: US, England, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, The Netherlands and possibly others.  I have been able to get books from small shops in England and the US that I will never enter physically I'm sure.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:52:31 PM »

Ebor, thank you again. Am borrowing a computer (mine has gone to be repaired), and when mine is back I will add that one to my address book. Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: