OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:19:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 12416 times) Average Rating: 0
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2005, 08:35:28 AM »

Anybody going to SW Celebration III in Indianapolis?  I'll be there Saturday.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2005, 08:50:37 AM »

Now if we were talking about The Hitchhikker's Guide to the Galaxy...I'd still have to wait until after Pascha.  After being bombarded with the 1st 3 Star Wars movies over and over and over again, I just can't stomach it anymore.  Maybe too much of a good thing...

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2005, 07:33:25 PM »

Anybody going to SW Celebration III in Indianapolis?  I'll be there Saturday

According to a recent scientific study, this event was the largest gathering of celebet men since the last vaticin conclave.

On to other star wars news, check out the vanity fair review of episode III (I likes what I sees)

The Force returns with most of its original power regained in "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith." Concluding entry in George LucasGeorge Lucas' second three-pack of space epics teems with action, drama and spectacle, and even supplies the odd surge of emotion, as young Anakin Skywalker goes over to the Dark Side and the stage is set for the generation of stories launched by the original "Star Wars" 28 years ago. Whatever one thought of the previous two installments, this dynamic picture irons out most of the problems, and emerges as the best in the overall series since "The Empire Strikes Back." Stratospheric B.O.B.O. is a given.

Indeed, "Sith" looks likely to follow the commercial pattern of the initial trilogy, wherein the second edition, "Empire," dipped considerably from the first, only to see the third, "Return of the Jedi," bounce back closer to the level of "Star Wars." In the case of the most recent set, "The Phantom Menace" grossed $921 million worldwide (slightly more coming from foreign territories than from the U.S.), while "Attack of the Clones" slipped to a $647 million worldwide cume. There's little doubt "Sith" will significantly improve on the latter figure.

Everyone who has followed the "Star Wars" saga over the years will come to this film knowing that it all has to pay off here: the transformation from Anakin into Darth Vader, the face-off between Anakin/Vader and his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi, the morphing of the Republic into the Empire, the exile of Yoda and Padme's birth of the twins Luke and Leia, siblings who become the central figures in episodes 4-6.

Given the general awareness of what's going to happen, it's up to Lucas to make it exciting. Despite fans' varying degrees of loss of faith that set in with "Menace" and "Clones," most will be inspired enough to believe again.

As if deliberately setting out to reassert his mastery over his iconic creation, Lucas opens with an amazing shot of his two Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregorEwan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden ChristensenHayden Christensen), threading their little spaceships through an extraordinary maze of explosions and airborne craft.

In fact, the initial 23 minutes virtually constitute one eye-popping action sequence, as the Jedis fight an assortment of battles to rescue the kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) from the clutches of the skeletal separatist General Grievous.

When things settle down to reunite Anakin with Padme, who announces she's pregnant after the idyllic secret wedding that climaxed "Clones," one is briefly reminded of Lucas' shortcomings as a writer and director of intimate, one-on-one scenes. But it's a minor problem here, as the dynamic of onrushing events soon becomes all-enveloping, and several interconnected conflicts are brought to a head.

As was not always the case the last two times out, Lucas' storytelling sense is admirable as he lays out the growing schism between the Jedi council -- which supports the Republic -- and the Chancellor, who has been granted exceptional powers in the current crisis.

Caught in the middle is Anakin, trained all his life by Obi-Wan to be an exemplary Jedi, but suddenly plagued by dreams of his wife's death in childbirth, offended by the Council's refusal to grant him master status and susceptible to the Chancellor's promise that only through the attainment of dark powers can he save his wife.

As Anakin stews, Jedis led by Obi-Wan attack General Grievous, which occasions more spectacular lightsaber fights (the movie is full of them). When Jedi Knight Mace Windu (Samuel L. JacksonSamuel L. Jackson, finally given something to do) attacks the Chancellor after learning he's a Sith Lord, Anakin must decide once and for all where his allegiance lies, his ultimate choice pitting him tragically against those closest to him, Padme and Obi-Wan.

Picture's final hour is steeped in apocalyptic imagery, tragic pop mythology and effective cross-cutting, as Yoda takes on the Chancellor at the same time Anakin/Vader engages in ferocious combat with Obi-Wan.

Resolution of the latter is significantly gorier than anything previously seen in the "Star Wars" sextet, thereby earning the series' first PG-13 rating. It also results in the transfixing final metamorphoses of Anakin into the black hooded-and-caped Vader unseen since the initial trilogy, an emergence dramatically contrasted with the birth of the twins.

Entertaining from start to finish and even enthralling at times, "Sith" has some acting worth writing home about, specifically McDiarmid's dominant turn as the mastermind of the evil empire. McGregor remains a steady presence, and both Portman and Christensen have loosened up since "Clones" to acceptable, if hardly inspired, levels. Expressiveness of the digitally animated Yoda, voiced as always by Frank OzFrank Oz, is amazing.

The technical achievement here is on such a high level that one is lulled into taking it for granted. Neither of the digitally shot recent episodes has looked consistently great, but this one does.

Perhaps this is the moment to remember it was the original "Star Wars," modest budget and all, that forever raised the bar and set the standard for the new generation of special and visual effects (a taste of "Star Wars" decor is provided by a reproduction of the gleaming white interior of the escaping Jedis' spacecraft). Composer John Williams also seems to have put extra effort into his virtually continuous score, which increasingly invests familiar themes with darker and richer tones.

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2005, 07:21:44 PM »

Director STEVEN SPIELBERG wept at a premiere of pal GEORGE LUCAS' final STAR WARS movie EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH.

JURASSIC PARK film-maker, Spielberg was so moved by the eagerly-awaited conclusion of the sci-fi saga, he burst into tears at its screening last week (begs29APR05).

But he's unashamed by his tears, insisting fans will also cry at the end of the film, because its moving conclusion marks the end of Lucas' epic story.

Spielberg says, "I saw it about a week ago, and it's absolutely amazing.

"It's the best of the last three episodes. It's the best way you could possibly imagine for George to finish it off, it has a tremendous ending and it's very dark. You'll cry at the end, it's wonderful."
06/05/2005 02:41

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »

Fwiw, Rotten Tomatoes now has about 16 reviews of Star Wars from Critics up; most of them are very positive.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2005, 12:23:57 AM »

Has anyone seen Revenge of the Sith yet?

I have seen it three times now; I absolutly love it. Episode III is hands down the best of the new series; even as good as Return of the Jedi (which there were a lot of parallels between luke and anakin that you can see in episode III & ROTJ).

I'm sad that the series is over; I wish that it could go on and on.

Anyway, let me know what y'all thought about it. I will post more of my thoughts later.

Darth Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2005, 12:51:43 AM »

Has anyone seen Revenge of the Sith yet?

I have seen it three times now; I absolutly love it. Episode III is hands down the best of the new series; even as good as Return of the Jedi (which there were a lot of parallels between luke and anakin that you can see in episode III & ROTJ).

I'm sad that the series is over; I wish that it could go on and on.

Anyway, let me know what y'all thought about it. I will post more of my thoughts later.

Darth Bagpiper

Step back ya'll because Darth Nacho is in da house!  Afro

Just saw it on Saturday, must say I was very impressed. I do have a little complaint that it could have been longer. I felt like something was missing and it ended abruptly also, it could have been a 3 hour movie. All in all though Lucas did a great job sticking to the plot and eveything was done very well besides a few cheesy lines here & there. I'm going to have to go and see it again.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2005, 10:26:42 AM »

WARNING: THERE ARE LIKELY TO BE SOME "SPOILERS" IN THIS REVIEW/RANT

While I don't think the prequels were complete garbage (and certainly the newest one is the best of them), since so many people are saying how much they love the newest one, I felt it was my duty as a die hard Star Wars geek (who grew up with the original films), to rain on the parade. Smiley (or put better, to add some balance by offering the"other side.")

I was disappointed with the "prequels", and feel if anything they highlighted George Lucas' weakness as a director, and writer of convincing dialogue.  These inherent weaknesses were only made worse by films which suffered due to being (primarily) showcases for new/experimental computer FX technologies.

Thus, wedded to weaknesses in the writer/director's abilities, you had actors being filmed continually in front of blue screens (with an astounding lack of real sets and real locations) and being only given the script in bits and pieces (because it's all oh so super secret); IOW, all of this created a situation where otherwise competent-to-great actors (like Liam Neeson or Ewan McGregor) come off looking quite badly.

The films also suffered due to George Lucas' "autonomy" this time around - for the original trilogy, he had a lot of limitations to work under, and due to them being studio films (20th Century Fox is now only the distributor - this time 'round Lucas is an empire unto himself, and really didn't need their involvement as such), he was forced to work with people he may not have wanted to.  And most significantly, the second and third films of the original trilogy (while scripted by Lucas) were not directed by George Lucas.  Agreed by most to be easily the best of the Star Wars films, The Empire Strikes Back was directed by Irvin Kershner, a very talented director, who brought a great deal of passion and personal depth to the 'Star Wars' saga.  Kershner is a Buddhist, and a lot of the sensitivity and "feeling" that was associated with the Jedi/the Force, etc. is really the result of his direction and his input into what got onto the screen (including him ad-libbing dialogue at times, much to the chagrin of Lucas.)

It would be this film (Empire Strikes Back) which would deeply affect how it's sequel (Return of the Jedi; directed by Richard Marquand) turned out and "felt", and interestingly enough, totally coloured how people would interpret and remember the original 'Star Wars: A New Hope" (which if taken on it's own, while very innovative for it's time and entertaining, is pretty corny and has obvious limitations - not to mention it could have stayed a "stand alone film" had it bombed at the box office.)

While the new special effects are interesting, I wasn't as wowed as perhaps some people were - cgi technology is still (IMHO) not at the point where it's flawless, and as such the cgi work in the new films is all over the place; some of it's fantastic, some of it's not so fantastic.  The "fantastic" stuff isn't so much bad, as just not convincing - you know deep down that what you're looking at is fake.  The best cgi was the stuff done for Yoda in the second and third prequel, though not even all of this is consistantly excellent.  I think the best approach would have been to use the strengths of different mediums; there is still a place for model building and miniatures in special effects, the biggest strength of cgi being the ability to seemlessly and credibly intigrate these with live action shots in a way that wasn't possible in times past.  The ships in the original came off as substantial, and "real" - even down to the wear and tear that flying through space debris and radiation would cause.  The ships in the new film struke me as looking like something out of a really slick video game; visually exciting, but not convincing.  And was there any reason why so many Storm Troopers and aliens had to be completely done in cgi?!!  I felt at times like I was watching a really elaborate cartoon - there is no good reason for this - in fact it probably would have been easier and cheaper to create the actual Storm/Clone Trooper battle suits, and put them on real extras - and when you needed to create scenes with unfathomably huge numbers of soldiers, you use the computer technology to multiply those real extras, or fabricate them entirely for long distance shots.

Ultimatly, what this come down to is the films were being used by Lucas as a showcase for the cutting edge in CGI technology, as innovated by his long standing business/firm Industrial Light and Magic (ILM).  This annoys me, since I would have liked to have thought that the emphasis for something as "sacred" (to us geeks and closet geeks who grew up with the original Star Wars films) would have been on creating the best films possible, and not on simply finding excuses to showcase new technologies, particularly when they're often inferior to existing/older approaches.

I guess these issues are contributors to my big, over riding problem with the new films - basically, that they were "souless".  The originals, for all of their flaws, had a lot of soul; even their visual style expressed this (which once again, is in large part not something which originated with Lucas, but others.)  These ones struck me as being very superificial, and the work of someone trying to imitate what the originals pulled off naturally.

Also, while some of the plot elements (which is perhaps Lucas' strong point, though I'm not sure if that's saying a lot) were pretty good in the new films, many were much less impressive, and some pretty weak.  Weakest of all, were the inconsistancies with the original trilogy.  Granted, the originals had some inconsistancies which were only excused by the most threadbare rationalizing (I don't buy for a second that Lucas had all of these films, prequels included, already mapped out and roughly scripted in a secret briefcase somewhere for the last 25 years...nonsense, and manifestly so), but they stood up pretty well.  OTOH, there are some big continuity problems with the new films.

- the principles (Anakin as played by Hayden Christenson and Obi-Wan as played by Ewan McGregor) are way, way too young to match up to their characters as portrayed in the original trilogy.  We know this, because Luke and Lei are portrayed as new born infants at the end of Revenge of the Sith, and they're both supposed to be just shy of 20 in A New Hope.  That means about 19 years separate Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.  Does Ewan Mcgregor look like he could be Sir Alec Guiness in 19 years, even as he's aged and made up in  ROTS, let alone have been a fresh face "Paduan" (Jedi student) only ten years before that in The Phantom Menace?  Also, it's pretty clear from Return of the Jedi, when you see Darth Vader without his helmet on near the end (or when you see his ghost, as a redeemed spirit - though my understanding is that Lucas has messed around with this too in his new DVD edition), that he was probably only ten years (no more) younger than Obi-Wan as played by Guiness - in other words, somewhere in his mid 50's.

- in Return of the Jedi (ROTJ) it's clearly stated that while Luke never knew his real mother, Leia did - she says she remembered her/their mother, and that she was a sad woman, who carried a lot of grief (understandable), but that she died when she was "very young."  I don't know about you, but I don't have those kind of elaborate memories about my child birth, which according to Revenge of the Sith is where Padme (Luke and Leia's mom) died.  The clear implication of the original is that their mother was taken with Leia to live on Alderan, and that she lived at least until Leia was a child old enough to have concrete memories of her.

- Making Anakin a native of Tatooine, with family there to boot (as portrayed in Revenge of the Sith) creates immense problems for any notion of Obi-Wan taking Luke there to "hide him".  Yeah, that's swell - hide the son of an evil pyschic warlord (who is serving an evil more powerful and evil psychic wizard) in his home town, with actual relatives; even if said evil warlord wouldn't think you were so stupid as to do something that obvious (hence making it kind of clever), at the very least you'd think he'd head there to shake down the family residing there (his family after all) to see if they'd had any contact with you, the "stolen" child, your wearabouts, etc.  The only possible way out of this, is for it to have been clearly emphasized in Revenge of the Sith that Vader had no clue whatsoever that his wife managed to bear a child before dying, and to have really thought that his unborn child (since he didn't know she was carrying twins) died with it's mother. But even if this was so...still...that's a pretty risky (and hence crappy) place to "hide" the brat.

- The way Anakin becomes Obi-Wan's pupil, and Obi-Wan's relationship to Yoda, doesn't seem to line up between the prequels and the original trilogy.  You also get the distinct impression from the dialogue in the original trilogy, that Anakin and Obi-Wan were much closer in age than is portrayed in the prequels (and this is born out in the original trilogy by the actor they used to show what Vader looked like "under the helmet".)

There are many, many more continuity problems than this, but I won't subject others here to my nerdom beyond the above examples.

It doesn't help that I also think that alot of the "Expanded Universe" (though certainly not all of it) stuff written previous to the prequels, was far, far superior to what we got in the new films.  For example, the explanation we get in Revenge of the Sith for the Emperor's decrepit features and shriveled up face, is that he got zapped by his own "evil force lightning" when he attempted to kill Jedi Mace Windu (played by Samuel L. Jackson).  I thought the "E.U." explanation that things like this (becoming ghoulish in appearance - pale, sunken eyes, deformation of the body, etc.) was better - namely, that this was what gradually happened to the body when one was consumed by the "dark side of the Force", the evil energies corrupting not only the soul by the body.  Thus, the dark side destroys it's user, even bodily; thus requiring them to draw upon their powers to simply stay alive... which in turn only invites more harm to them.  IOW, an endless, vicious cycle which can only end in ruin.  This is why in the originals, Vader looks so awful under his helment - not simply because of the scars and wounds he received from his duel with Obi-Wan (which resulted in him being made into a cyborg), but because he kept himself alive in large part by "the dark side", and his use of those evil powers.

The same goes for the fate of the Jedi.  While I thought it was really neat how the downfall of the Jedi was portrayed in Revenge of the Sith (the Clone army numbering in the hundreds of thousands was genetically programmed/conditioned to suddenly "turn" on the Jedi, who they were fighting under in the various battles of the "Clone War" spread throughout the galaxy when the Emperor gives them a certain secret command; kind of like how certain types of attack dogs are conditioned to snap and become man eating machines when told a secret word or hearing a special whistle command), I didn't think it was enough to explain the near eradication of the Jedi - I mean, they're Jedi after all!  In the "EU" stuff, it's made pretty clear that Darth Vader (and perhaps others) spent a lot of time going around the galaxy hunting down pockets of remaining Jedi, even warranting the construction of neato "Jedi prison ships" - essentially giant led boxes whose power supplies were dedicated to complex internal force fields meant to contain wiley Jedi prisoners being taken back for examination/termination (since anyone but another of their kind killing an actual Jedi was understood to be incredibly difficult).

Ok, I think I've wasted enough time "nerding out."  Continue on with your far more meaningful, nerd-free (or "in nerd denial") lives. Smiley

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2005, 10:34:42 AM »

Making Anakin a native of Tatooine, with family there to boot (as portrayed in Revenge of the Sith) creates immense problems for any notion of Obi-Wan taking Luke there to "hide him".

Owen Lars is actually a relative of Obi-Wan, not Anakin.  Anakin has no relatives, as his was a virgin birth and Shmi was a slave who had no family.

Other than that, I share most of your musings, particularly the explanation for Palpatine's aging. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »

Saw it Saturday night.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed.  Taking the movie on its own (and pretending for a second the other 5 didn't exist), I thought it was terribly boring.

I also happened to see it in a theatre were the audio was very low (which certainly did not help).

I just thought the movie was very slow.  However, when you take the movie as a part of the greater saga, it was nice (in as much) as it did provide an explanation for how we got to where we were with "Star Wars" ie: Darth Vader, Lord Palpatine etc... (I also thought the change in Palpatine was really well done).

Maybe I'll see it again in a theatre with better audio.  I'd give it 2.5 Stars.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2005, 10:56:59 AM »

Schultz,

Owen Lars is actually a relative of Obi-Wan, not Anakin.  Anakin has no relatives, as his was a virgin birth and Shmi was a slave who had no family.

While I know in some of the "Expanded Universe" stuff Owen Lars is said to be related to Obi-Wan, it's made very clear in Attack of the Clowns...err...Clones that Owen's father had purchased the slave Shmi (Anakin's mother), and married her; making Owen Lars the step-brother of Anakin Skywalker (which is, again, stated pretty clearly in the scene in Episode II where Anakin meets Owen.)

The "EU" explanation is better, of course, in that it makes the location far more "off the radar" for Darth Vader.  Perhap's you're confusing the two ("EU" explanation with the new prequels.)

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2005, 10:59:09 AM »

it's made very clear in Attack of the Clowns...err...Clones that Owen's father had purchased the slave Shmi (Anakin's mother), and married her; making Owen Lars the step-brother of Anakin Skywalker (which is, again, stated pretty clearly in the scene in Episode II where Anakin meets Owen.)

Oh, bother, you're right!  I've only seen Clones once.  I totally forgot about that. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2005, 07:00:13 PM »

Oh, bother, you're right!  I've only seen Clones once.  I totally forgot about that

Blasphemy!!!!!! Grin

Did any of you pick up the parallels between Anikin and Luke?

1 their clothes were almost the same
2 The fight scene between anakin and dooku and luke and vader were similar. anakin cut dookus hands off, luke cut vaders hand off,   the background/stage was alomst the same in that fight as it was with luke and vader (ie..the emperor was sitting in the same place, in the same chair. when dooku was defeated he told anakin to kill him, when vader was defeated, he told luke to kill him.

Darth Nacho

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2005, 10:42:58 AM »

- in Return of the Jedi (ROTJ) it's clearly stated that while Luke never knew his real mother, Leia did - she says she remembered her/their mother, and that she was a sad woman, who carried a lot of grief (understandable), but that she died when she was "very young."  I don't know about you, but I don't have those kind of elaborate memories about my child birth, which according to Revenge of the Sith is where Padme (Luke and Leia's mom) died.  The clear implication of the original is that their mother was taken with Leia to live on Alderan, and that she lived at least until Leia was a child old enough to have concrete memories of her.

THANK YOU!!!  I was thinking that I was the only one who caught that!  I'm not too into Star Wars, but I have a weird kind of memory where I can't remember what I did yesterday, but can remember random little things like Leia's conversation w/ Luke re their mother in ROTJ, from watching it more than 5 years ago. 

On a whole though, I rather enjoyed seeing it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 10:43:28 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2005, 09:52:12 AM »

No I caught it too.

On the whole, i can do without the SECOND trilogy.  Nice effects, lame character development, they could have done so much more with palpatine and darth maul.  Whiny Annakin turned into whiny darth vader, Jedi influence not explored enough, well, anyway, I have to agree with Kevin Smith (you know, Silent Bob) when he called the FIRST three movies (in Chasing Amy) the Holy Trilogy.  I laughed over that one.  Although i wouldnt have missed the yoda fight sequence with (whatisface dukku? ) for anything in the first of the prequels.  That was truly awesome.

AND, if the storm troopers were clones, why are they all different sizes in the first three movies, with different voices.  "you're a little short for a stormtrooper"  is about as close as anyone gets to mentioning it.  hehe.  Call me a purist. Wink  Of couse I saw Empire 16 times....in the theatre...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »

Hey, anybody ever seen Space Balls? Grin

::runs and hides!::

Good flick
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddsssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Cheesy Wink

I'm going to need this.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

Good flick

You replied to a post from 2004... in 2012... with two words.
Huh Huh Huh
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »

Good flick

Huh Huh Huh

An Ent never says anything, unless it's worth taking a long time to say.

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »

Good flick

Huh Huh Huh

Good flick

Huh Huh Huh

An Ent never says anything, unless it's worth taking a long time to say.

I verify and truly--and I assure you this is so--I, being Justin, of sound mind, do say, that yes, in actuality, truthfully, and rightly, do like to bump threads--what some call resurrecting them--even if, verily, there is no real content to add or supplement, but lo, for truly I, Justin, Asteriktos, sometimes called Paradosis, or Erdrick, or Erdrickgr, or one of other names, do tell you, that yes, I do like to bump old threads, perhaps threads that are past a point of bringing back, but lo, if not I then who? if not now then when? for truly, truly, I say unto you that with many words men in red can sing a song to an owl in bed, yet leastwise is this true in favor of the true adequicity of my luxurious truthful words of honesty.  police angel Cool
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »

Sorry, Star Wars fails the Bechdel Test:

You expect movie ratings to tell you whether a film contains nudity, sex, profanity or violence. Now cinemas in Sweden are introducing a new rating to highlight gender bias, or rather the absence of it.

To get an A rating, a movie must pass the so-called Bechdel test, which means it must have at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man.

"The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars movies, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter movies fail this test," said Ellen Tejle, the director of Bio Rio, an art-house cinema in Stockholm's trendy Södermalm district.

On a positive note, new documentary footage of Yoda has been discovered in the Nag Hammadi caves of Egypt. But seriously, deleted Yoda footage shows that it was Yoda's (not Obi-Wan's) idea to not tell Luke about who his father really was.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:47:36 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »

Sorry, Star Wars fails the Bechdel Test:

You expect movie ratings to tell you whether a film contains nudity, sex, profanity or violence. Now cinemas in Sweden are introducing a new rating to highlight gender bias, or rather the absence of it.

To get an A rating, a movie must pass the so-called Bechdel test, which means it must have at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man.

"The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars movies, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter movies fail this test," said Ellen Tejle, the director of Bio Rio, an art-house cinema in Stockholm's trendy Södermalm district.

On a positive note, new documentary footage of Yoda has been discovered in the Nag Hammadi caves of Egypt. But seriously, deleted Yoda footage shows that it was Yoda's (not Obi-Wan's) idea to not tell Luke about who his father really was.

The movies suck. That is clear.

And good that they are figuring out ways to highlight the lack of decent roles for women in film.

Including women in most boys' clubs makes them better for everyone.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: