OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 11592 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: July 24, 2004, 08:55:35 PM »

I know that this is off of the "Religious" discussion, but since this is a free for all, I thought that if any of you love the Star Wars movies as much as I do might like to know that Star Wars episode III has been titled "Revenge of the Sith".  

I have a feeling that this is going to be the best of the pre-quils. Moreover, the posters are going to use the same style fonts and graphics as "Return of the Jedi" which I thought were cool!

Here is a cool link to some awesome behind the scene pictures!

http://www.supershadow.com/pictures/episode3/

The new bad guy, general grevous, looks like the spookiest villan yet in the Star Wars saga.

Let me know what you think

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 11:06:21 PM »

well, im not a huge star wars fan (as in im not a fanatic), but i do like the movies (that i've seen lol yes it's true ive only seen the original star wars (1st movie made) and then the 2 prequals so far)...and i especially like sagas and things that keep the same characters (and actors ideally) and we get to see what happens to them...so for me, the most fun pics at that site are the ones of anakin and obi won (sp?) and even amidala, and how they will look in episode 3...i will surely see episode 3, just caz i wanna see where the characters go...and then im sure at some point i'll watch episodes 4-6 Wink

:::hiding from the true star wars fans out there who may wanna throw something at me::: Grin

hmmmm...
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 02:40:50 PM »

I loved the original trilolgy (particularly the last two), liked the first prequel (wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but not bad), and hated Attack of the Clowns...err, Clones.

I'm very concerned that the next one is going to be terrible.  I hope I'm wrong.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 02:51:34 PM »

SW ranks up there with LOTR as the two loves of my life aside from religion and music.  I was very disappointed with Episodes I & II mostly due to the wooden acting and horrible dialogue, but I have high hopes for Episode III.  I really like how the title juxtaposes to "Return of the Jedi", especially since that film was originally called "Revenge of the Jedi".  

The pics look awesome, especially those of Obi-wan.  It really is just plain uncanny how much Ewan MacGregor's Obi-wan really looks like a young version of Alec Guinness' Ben Kenobi.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »

My favorite Star Wars character is Princess Armadillo, pardon me, Amadala. Although her funky Chinese Ming dynasty inspired hairdo reminded me of an Armadillo of sorts.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 01:47:21 PM »

I don't know if any of you have noticed on the link I posted, but there is a picture of a disfigured anikin after his duel with obi wan. This is what he will look like before his transformation into Darth Vader!

I have also heard that George Lucas is going to go back and re-edit parts of Return of the Jedi to fit christian haden's image in the parts that show Darth Vader's face (like when luke took his mask off, and when it showed him, yoda and obi-wan as ghosts at the end)

On another star wars note, I don't know if any of you have seen any of the "clone wars" cartoons on Cartoon network, but they were really cool. I have seen some of them, and it ties a lot in between episode 2 &3, especially with general grevous (who looks more scarier than darth vader to me). In the cartoon, it showed general grevous wiping out lots of Jedi without breaking a sweat!

I bet that there are going to be some awesome fighting scenes in episode III

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 10:57:09 AM »

Wasn't the origianl plans ("a long time ago...") to have Episodes 7, 8, and 9 also?  Whatever happened to that?  Is Lucas just gettting too old?  To me, it will seem kind of weird to end the Star Wars saga on a "bad note", so to speak, at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin turns into Darth Vader and the Empire takes over the galaxy.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »

Lucas is getting old and so are the actors that were in episodes IV-XI(Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, etc).  I think what will happen is that after the upcoming episode III he'll re-release the original trilogy theatrically with more new special effects(this is being done for the dvds anyway).  It'll be interesting to see on what note they end this film, but since I don't have much confidence in Lucas as a director, I don't have many high hopes.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 11:57:39 AM »

Lucas never had any intention of shooting 7-9.  For him, the story was about the rise and fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.  At the end of ROTJ, that goal was achieved.  

There are hundreds of novels and stories of what happened post-ROTJ that are, for all intents and purposes, canon.  Everything has to be cleared past Lucasfilm to be published and while he retains the right to say, "That's not what happened", all the post-Ep 6 material that is out there is pretty much the continuation of the SW saga.  It's quite amazing how all the disparate authors and whatnot have remained quite consistent with the storylines over the years.  Of course, that's largely because of Lucasfilm's insistence on continuity.

I still the think the original "Thrawn Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn are the best ones out there.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 12:59:27 PM »

My brother and I were huge into Star Wars when we were little tots.  My brother is still a fanatic.  Even though the last two weren't as great as I had hoped, I still thought they were great fun and I'm ready for this one . . . . except it's the last.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:00:54 PM »

Schultz,

If I remember correctly, didn't the thing about the story being about the rise and fall of Anakin came out after Phantom Menace?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 02:53:10 PM »

Nope.  Lucas had the idea all along.  It's evident in the fact that the "first" Star Wars movie is Episode Six.  When asked about it 25 years ago, Lucas said that the films were really about Darth Vader and his life.  Episodes One through Three were about how he became Darth Vader.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 05:31:09 PM »

Good to know...thanks.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 08:22:46 PM »

I just got done reading the summary of the script (including spoilers), and I must say that this is going to be one awesome movie

here is the link

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/episode3/revenge_of_the_sith/plot_script.html

Let me know what you all think about it

repipgab

Troparion - Tone 1:
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 10:30:02 PM »

hehehe sounds exciting

and i dont even know the after story! this will make me wanna see the original trilogy Smiley

hmmmm...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 12:13:23 AM »

Well, the dvd's are finally coming out, so it should be entirely possible to go see Episode three, then go have an old-school Star Wars marathon weekend.  

Anyone ever see that movie review that Abp. Lazar Puhalo did on the original trilogy?  It is quite, um, interesting.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 09:21:06 AM »

and i dont even know the after story! this will make me wanna see the original trilogy

IS OUTRAGE!

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 01:20:23 PM »

IS OUTRAGE!

LOL well, maybe it will take Episode 3 to convert me...so at the very least, the upcoming film will have a purpose in the world Grin

and it's possible that the old trilogy rereleased on DVD with new added special effects may also do the trick...i dont know why, but for some reason it was the old school effects that i could never get passed to watch the movie...i think what bothered me was that they tried to pretend like they were NOT old school (and i guess they weren't at the time), but watching in the 1990s, it just didn't work for me. see i have no problem w/ something like Wizard of Oz, which is completely theatrical and unrealistic, but that's because I felt like the film was aware that it was unrealistic...or sumthin. Smiley

anyway, anxiously awaiting Episode 3 Smiley

hmmmm...
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 10:26:02 PM »

I don't know if any of you have seen the teaser trailer for Star Wars Episode III yet, but I watched it online and thought that it looked awesome.

Here is a link if you want to watch the trailer online

http://www.starwars.com/

I will wait to hear what your reactions are to the trailer (ie..what you picked up on in it ect.....) before I give my input on it.

Enjoy

Darth Bagpiper
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 10:26:37 PM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 01:11:40 AM »

That's the thing about all those trailers, they made all of those prequel movies look awesome and then.... Jar Jar Binx. Roll Eyes
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 08:11:01 AM »

The interesting thing is that we basically know the story of Episode 3, in broad terms, because we know how Episode 4 starts.  So the interesting thing is not the "what happens", but the "how it happens".

On the editing of Episode 6, Lucas already did that, in part at least, in the newly released DVD version.  When the three dead Jedi (Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin) appear in the scene at the end, it is Hayden C as Anakin).  He also added some neat celebration scenes from other galactic points of interest such as Coruscant.

Lucas has mentioned in interviews that television series may be in the offiing after Episode 3, perhaps telling some of the stories from the books in visual form.

And, yes, for the record I am a Star Wars fanatic.

B

B
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 10:17:24 AM »

Wasn't the origianl plans ("a long time ago...") to have Episodes 7, 8, and 9 also?  Whatever happened to that?  Is Lucas just gettting too old?  To me, it will seem kind of weird to end the Star Wars saga on a "bad note", so to speak, at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin turns into Darth Vader and the Empire takes over the galaxy.

Lucas's claims about what he was up to have acquired the quality of legend themselves, but they've changed considerably over the years.

Back when the real Episode 1 came out, the crawler at the beginning had no "Episode" headline. In those days Lucas was still willing to admit that the actual inspiration for the movie was Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress; the Joseph Campbell claptrap came much later. The talk about nine movies also came later, I think about the time that he started work on Empire. But as far as I know everything about the series after the first movie was worked out after the first movie, which had a very difficult birth in the script. And I don't think Lucas ever really had any definite plot ideas worked out beyond "the robots are in all the movies" (the heart of the Kurosawa connection) and "the first three movies will show the fall of Darth Vader" (kinda obvious).  It took him so long to come up with the obvious "first" three movies, where he at least had some direction already given by the setup for the real first movie, that everyone knew he had always been blowing smoke about the last three.

Anyone ever see that movie review that Abp. Lazar Puhalo did on the original trilogy?  It is quite, um, interesting.  

Having read it, I'd call it a reach myself. I think the analysis of Harry Potter as essentially Christian is much more plausible.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 10:18:38 AM by Keble » Logged
Keble
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 10:35:59 AM »

and it's possible that the old trilogy rereleased on DVD with new added special effects may also do the trick...i dont know why, but for some reason it was the old school effects that i could never get passed to watch the movie...

OLD school?Huh??

Sheeeeeeeeesh.

This is one of the two movies that changed everything in special effects. Dykstra's motion control system was the most important innovation in effects between Disney's gel matte (which produced spectacular results, but which proved impossible to duplicate) and computer animation. the only thing that remotely compared to it was Trumbull's efforts a few years earlier, most notably in Silent Running. But the crucial step in Dykstra's system was that the models and cameras all moved while the shutter was open. Trumbull's model work was very realistic but he could only move things at low speeds.

You have to imagine how it was back when Star Wars was released. Space movies (which were extremely out of fashion in those days) were mostly associated with cheesy effects, except for a few very geeky movies that most people didn't like. So people sit down in the theatre after passing this, um, bodice ripping poster, and this really archaic crawl rolls under John Williams striking fanfare. The camera tilts back from the surface, the rebel ship starts flying across the screen, and all the sci-fi geeks think, "this is pretty cool". Then the imperial ship enters the frame, and keeps coming, and coming, and coming..... You could hear jaws drop all across America. Nobody had EVER seen anything like it. And in those few seconds, the standard of special effects was raised forever.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

I'm still waiting to see what y'all think of the trailer. Did any of you watch it?Huh??

Troparion - Tone 1:
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 10:55:30 PM »

I watched and enjoyed the teaser trailer.  It was very good for what it was.  The trailers for Episodes I and II were likewise very good, which led to extreme dissapointment when I saw the films they were advertising.  I would like to think that episode three will be better, but recent evidence points to the contrary.

Favorite moments of the trailer:
First new Darth Vader line in 20 years
Prototype X-wing
Seeing the empreror with a lightsabre
Padme wearing Leia style hair
WOOKIES!!!
Seeing Anakin use a force choke on Obi Wan
I really enjoyed having it begin with the footage from the original Star Wars.  Good seeing Alec Guinness.  

-Yazid Ibrahim
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 11:00:49 AM »

I am a huge Star Wars fan.  Always have been.  Of course I prefer the classic Trilogy, but I also enjoyed the first two prequels, especially Phantom Menace.  I think Lucas was wise to begin the saga with Episode IV.  He knew that Episode I would be (by necessity) something of a slow starter, and then he would have never had the opportunity to complete the other films.  That is not to say that there aren't a few things in Menace I could have done without ("Ex-squeeze me!" jumps to mind, as well as "midichlorians").

Just a few continuity issues that I hope Episode III clears up:

1.) Why doesn't Vader recognize the droids (Especially Threepio, whom he created)?  It kind of blows your mind when you consider that when Threepio said "Thank the maker!" in Ep. IV, he was thanking Darth Vader!  For that matter, why doesn't Obi Wan recognize Artoo?

2.) What happens to Count Dooku?   There can only be two Sith at one time (no more, no less).  If we don't get to see him croak (and Anakin take his place) it will be something of a rip-off.  Maybe Anakin will have to kill him in a lightsaber battle, like the Emperor was trying to get Luke to do with Darth Vader.

3.) Why does Obi-Wan say that Yoda trained him (not Qui-Gon) in the classic Trilogy?  Obviously because Lucas hadn't invented Qui-Gon yet, but what is the "Star Wars" reason?  Did Yoda train Obi-Wan before he became Qui-Gon's padawan?

And a few from the classic trilogy that have always been a burr under my saddle:

1.) Why is the tractor beam control system written IN ENGLISH?!? (Ep. IV)

2.) Why does the Emperor's hologram look so deformed? (Empire Strikes Back)

I'm hoping someone is a big enough Star Wars fan to help me out here.  I'm looking in your direction, Herr Schultz! Grin

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 11:46:33 AM »

Seek and ye shall find!

Let me see if I can flex my Star Wars muscles a bit here and answer your questions:

1.  Threepio is not the only droid of his kind in the Star Wars universe.  Remember in ESB, right before Threepio was blown into dozens of pieces, he came across another droid of his type (albeit of a more silvery sheen) who was rather rude to him.  Vader could just confuse Threepio with one of these other droids, as droids have no "force sensitivity" and therefore no "presence".  They are merely inanimate objects animated via machine and computer, not the "luminous beings" that generate the Force.  Plus, who knows what warping Vader went through after his battle with Obi-wan that killed Anakin and created the Dark Lord of the Sith.

2.  No idea.  We'll have to wait and see.  Smiley  Maybe Palpatine kills him for failure to exterminate Yoda and Obi-wan?  

3.  I think you're on the money regarding Obi-wan's comments about Yoda training him.  Yoda probably trained Obi-wan prior to the latter achieving "padawan" status under Qui-gon.

For the "burr under the saddle" questions:

1.  Production mistake.  I never noticed if they "fixed" it in the Special Edition or in the new DVDs.  I'll take a look tonight.

2.  Different actor (actually a woman I believe...Clive Revill supplied the voice) than what we're used to int he guise of Ian McDiarmid.  I think it was just a bad makeup job and when they did a better on in ROTJ with McDiarmid, everyone went, "Wow, that Emperor from ESB looked deformed!"  You're not the only one who noticed Smiley

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 11:49:58 AM »

1.) Why doesn't Vader recognize the droids (Especially Threepio, whom he created)?  It kind of blows your mind when you consider that when Threepio said "Thank the maker!" in Ep. IV, he was thanking Darth Vader!  For that matter, why doesn't Obi Wan recognize Artoo?

I would say that first, vader has been around so many droids that he probably doesn't think of c3po; especially since turning to the dark side. A droid is probably meaningless to him. Secondly, R2 & C3po will have their memories erased at the end of Episode 3. They don't know that it was vader who created them. You can read the whole synopsis of what is going to happen at this link---  (warning, there are major spoilers)

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/episode3/revenge_of_the_sith/plot_script.html

2.) What happens to Count Dooku?  There can only be two Sith at one time (no more, no less).  If we don't get to see him croak (and Anakin take his place) it will be something of a rip-off.  Maybe Anakin will have to kill him in a lightsaber battle, like the Emperor was trying to get Luke to do with Darth Vader.

Anikin kills Count Dooku at the begining of episode 3. Dooku is just a tool that the emperor has been using to ultimatly get anikin as his apprentice.

3.) Why does Obi-Wan say that Yoda trained him (not Qui-Gon) in the classic Trilogy?  Obviously because Lucas hadn't invented Qui-Gon yet, but what is the "Star Wars" reason?  Did Yoda train Obi-Wan before he became Qui-Gon's padawan?

We only saw part of obi-wan's training. Perhaps yoda did some training with him at any given point?

2.) Why does the Emperor's hologram look so deformed? (Empire Strikes Back)

In the new trilogy put out on DVD, the emperor is clear as a bell; he is not deformed any more.

As far as the trailer goes, I thought that it was good. It looked very dark, and from everything that I have read, this is going to be the darkest of all of the Star Wars movies. Also, there is going to be more light saber fighting in III than in the rest of the movies as well.

Here are some things that I thought were interesting about the trailer that I picked up on---

-Anikin's eye's were like Darth Maul's after he turned to the Dark Side

-James Earl Jones pronounces "master" the way hayden christensen does when he is rising on the table

-Darth Sidious's voice sounds scarrier in this one (due to effects); for instance, when he says "Lord Vader.....Rise". Rise sounds really creepy.

I haven't seen the new trilogy on DVD yet, but I have seen pictures and have read about it online. It is supposed to tie some things in with the prequils.

For instance, I think that the emperor's voice is altered a bit, like I stated in my previous post.

At the end of return of the jedi, when it shows the ghosts of anikin, obi wan and yoda, hayden christensen is in there instead of the old guy from before. Obi wan is still alec guiness; however, I don't understand why they have an old decreped obi wan, who has always done the right thing and followed the right path, be old as a ghost, then anikin who has chosen the wrong path come out looking like a young man! shouldn't it be the other way around, or at least have all of their ghosts young??

Anyway let me know what you think. May the force be with you.

Darth Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »

Hmmm...the force is strong with this one!  Wink

Schultz - Since you said that LOTR and Star Wars were two of the great loves of your life (mine too!) you may find this website interesting (if you haven't seen it before).  It explores various influences upon Lucas and his creative process, including Tolkien.  Let me know what you think...

http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/lotr.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 11:54:05 AM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 11:55:44 AM »

At the end of return of the jedi, when it shows the ghosts of anikin, obi wan and yoda, hayden christensen is in there instead of the old guy from before. Obi wan is still alec guiness; however, I don't understand why they have an old decreped obi wan, who has always done the right thing and followed the right path, be old as a ghost, then anikin who has chosen the wrong path come out looking like a young man! shouldn't it be the other way around, or at least have all of their ghosts young??

I think he did this not only to tie the old films with the new, but also because Anakin "died" when he became Darth Vader, at least in Lucas' mind.  So when he comes back as the force ghost, he looks like he did when he "died".  However, since Darth Vader was redeemed at the end of ROTJ, would not Anakin be considered "reborn", especially after he tells Luke, "Tell your sister you were right."  Does this not mean that Anakin never really died, as there was still some good left in him, like Luke said he felt?  

I bet those who could care less about Star Wars are scratching their heads at this point Tongue

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 12:17:37 PM »

Wow Bagpiper!  Now I have to run out and get the classic Trilogy on DVD!  I always had a suspicion that the droids would have their memories wiped.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2004, 12:51:11 PM »

ABOUT THE TRACTOR BEAM INSTRUCTIONS:

In the NEW trilogy that was just released on DVD, they actually changed the tractor beam instructions to some alien language.

I don't have pictures handy, but a google search will turn up the "new" instructions.

R
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2004, 02:51:48 PM »

I just snuck out and copped the DVDs on my lunch break.  Can't wait to see what Lucas has changed.  I hope he also touched up the scene after Darth Vader has killed Ben, when Luke hesitates before boarding the Falcon.  Before the blast doors close on Vader, you can clearly see that his lightsaber is a white plastic shaft.  I know, I know, I sound like that fat comic book guy on the Simpsons!  Pitiful, ain't it!  Worst oc.net post ever! (BTW, Cap'n Roberto, please pm me if you get a chance...)

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2004, 03:09:55 PM »

Worst oc.net post ever!

No intelligent Star Wars discussion should ever be counted as the "worst post" on any board! Wink

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 03:13:42 PM »

There are a lot of little things changed on the new DVD versions, they are well worth a look.

I also agree that Ep. III could be a downer even in light of the attractive preview trailer, but I like SW enough that it would probably still be interesting for me.  I actually liked Ep. I and II, while most of the non-SW world panned them both.

B

B
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2004, 03:20:05 PM »

Hey y'all!  I just read the script summaries for Episodes 7,8, & 9 (supposedly authored by George Lucas) over at supershadow.com.  All I can say is uggh!!!  Thank goodness these abominations were never made!

Luke fighting a clone of himself, and a clone Vader?!?
And the "Dark Jedi" put the Vader clone in the mask, etc., even though he has no breathing problems (because he never took a lava bath like Anakin).

The Mandalorians invade the New Republic?  I thought Boba Fett was wearing Mandalorian armor.  And I never liked Mara Jade and those other characters.  I'm strictly into the "canonical" Star Wars universe myself.

Ohh...almost forgot this classic line from the "script":

Luke uses Force vanish and re-materializes behind Horgon

What?!?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 03:21:27 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2004, 03:42:14 PM »

I would never, never, never! take what I read on the internet as a "script", especially supposedly authored by Lucas, as being the real thing.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2004, 04:25:52 PM »

I hope he also touched up the scene after Darth Vader has killed Ben, when Luke hesitates before boarding the Falcon.  Before the blast doors close on Vader, you can clearly see that his lightsaber is a white plastic shaft.

Well, he's failed to fix it on every other chance he had, including the extended version (which frankly I don't care for).

Trivia time: How many of you can tell me where this line comes from:

"You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss three bucks goodbye!"
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »

That would be from the same place as this one:

Fluke: Do you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?

Auggie Ben Doggie: No, it's just a headache.

The Hardware Wars short they used to show on HBO (I never had HBO as a kid, but my Aunt did!  One time we watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back over there back-to-back!)

As for the new editions - I think it is great that Lucas was able to go back and restore scenes that had to be cut because of time/budget constraints, like Jabba's scene it Ep. IV or the Wampa in Ep. V.  The only nitpicks:

1.) Jabba duplicates Greedo's dialogue

2.) The new sequence at the end of ROTJ means we don't get to hear the Ewok song.  I loved that song!  The Ewok playing the drums on the Imperial helmets just doesn't have the same ring to it now.  Sad

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »

2.) The new sequence at the end of ROTJ means we don't get to hear the Ewok song.  I loved that song!  The Ewok playing the drums on the Imperial helmets just doesn't have the same ring to it now.

We still get to see Lando exhibiting his atrocious rhythm skills at the very end before the final credit launch, though!

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2004, 02:49:15 AM »

"You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss three bucks goodbye!"

Sounds like something I said after seeing the first prequil at the cheap theater and another time when I rented the second from Blockbuster.  Tongue
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 10:02:45 AM »

We still get to see Lando exhibiting his atrocious rhythm skills at the very end before the final credit launch, though!

Grin I'll have to watch out for that!  Although to give him the benefit of the doubt, it could be that there wasn't any actual music playing at the time he was dancing or whatever.  I've discovered that a lot of the time, the directors of TV shows or movies just tell the cast to move, and then add the music later, which makes everyone look like a bunch of idiots.

BTW, I checked out the revised scene with the Emperor in Empire last night.  Perfect!  Some "purists" may decry the revisions as ruining the Star Wars legacy, but I personally think their great.  I'd rather see Lucas' definitive vision for HIS creation, than see what he was bound to create by the technology of the day.

Oh, and I hear Chewie is gonna be in Ep. III!!!!  If these on-line sources can be trusted, that is.  Which beings me to my question for Bagpiper:  How sure are you about all of these plot elements which have been revealed on-line (i.e. Ani killing Dooku in front of the Emperor, etc.)?  These could have been leaked to throw the audience off.  I remember when that awful American version of Godzilla came out.  People on-line swore that they had the script, and it turned out to be a red herring released intentionally by the studio.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »

No intelligent Star Wars discussion should ever be counted as the "worst post" on any board!

amen shultz. The force is strong in you!

I think he did this not only to tie the old films with the new, but also because Anakin "died" when he became Darth Vader, at least in Lucas' mind.  So when he comes back as the force ghost, he looks like he did when he "died".  However, since Darth Vader was redeemed at the end of ROTJ, would not Anakin be considered "reborn", especially after he tells Luke, "Tell your sister you were right."  Does this not mean that Anakin never really died, as there was still some good left in him, like Luke said he felt?  

You make a good point.  After pondering it a bit, I came to another conclusion. I think that in all reality, Lucas left the older Obi Wan because it is the easiest way to tie in the way Obi Wan's ghost looked in Empire & ROTJ. What would Luke think if he saw an old Obi Wan all this time, then suddenly he looks young again after all of the turmoil is over???

It would also require more work for lucas to switch Ewan Mcgregor in the ghost scenes in Empire and ROTJ (Which, also, if he did would piss off a host of the die hard fans who have a heart attack at even the slightest changes).

I think the real reason that Hayden Christenson replaced the original ghost was to tie in ep I-III into the original series. I agree with your assesment that Vader always did have some good left in him and wasn't 100% turned over to the dark side (mabey just 99% over)  (Is vader's fall similar to the fall of man?Huh.........this could lead to an interesting discussion)

I hope he also touched up the scene after Darth Vader has killed Ben, when Luke hesitates before boarding the Falcon.  Before the blast doors close on Vader, you can clearly see that his lightsaber is a white plastic shaft.

Perhaps Lucas compares Star Wars to the eastern rug makers. Both the films and the rugs are made almost flawlessly, yet a purpousful flaw is made in order to show the human element of the craft?HuhHuh  Just some food for thought.

I find it interesting that Starwars is the thing that unites us all on this board. If only all the nations could get together and talk about starwars, perhaps this world would be a better place?Huh??

Darth Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2004, 12:51:20 AM »

Hey, anybody ever seen Space Balls? Grin

::runs and hides!::

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia