OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:45:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toddling pastor wowing churchgoers in Mississippi  (Read 1367 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

UK Daily Mail:

He is a famous preacher, whose eloquence and energy has inspired church congregations and wowed millions of followers online.

And aged just four years old, he's pretty cute as well.

If you think you can stand it, watch the video.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »

wow. Is he Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Hindu or Zoroastrian? I don't know since I couldn't understand a thing he said. How could his parents let him be exploited thsi way? Turned into a novelty act.

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

wow. Is he Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Hindu or Zoroastrian? I don't know since I couldn't understand a thing he said. How could his parents let him be exploited thsi way? Turned into a novelty act.
The link says Pentecostal.

I busted out laughing seeing the VeggieTales Bible cover.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:27:41 PM by SLX » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »

now on the other hand, when i was an acolyte in the EO church, occasinally a toddler would wander back into the altar and we had little white tunics and little processional crosses for them so they could 'serve' they would even get blessed to robe etc, some as young as 2 or 3. same "cuteness" factor.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »

Turned into a novelty act.

The irony here is the movement itself is a novelty. He should be young enough to convey speaking in tongues quite well.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

now on the other hand, when i was an acolyte in the EO church, occasinally a toddler would wander back into the altar and we had little white tunics and little processional crosses for them so they could 'serve' they would even get blessed to robe etc, some as young as 2 or 3. same "cuteness" factor.

That is a wonderful idea.  Wish more parishes did that!!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »

Nothing new here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-O9aNl2Xrk

The Story of Marjoe. This was a somewhat well-known documentary in the 1970's, I've read.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »

His parents could be the ones exploiting him, if he's anything like Marjoe (see link in my previous post).  Marjoe's parents set him on his path so they could make money.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

We have those same lil' white server's robes. However, our littlest ones are usually doorkeepers for the iconostas, and don't process. Although they still come out to receive the Eucharist and venerate icons at the end of the service with the clergy/adult servers, so I guess the cute factor is still there. Grin

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »

UK Daily Mail:

He is a famous preacher, whose eloquence and energy has inspired church congregations and wowed millions of followers online.

And aged just four years old, he's pretty cute as well.

If you think you can stand it, watch the video.

Oh my...wow...

Forgive my sins.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:54 PM »

why? how is that different from this child be used as a little performer?

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »

Do YOU know Allah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Np7zbKCKI

Caption added to post to enforce compliance with forum prohibition against naked links   - PtA
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:15:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

Because they aren't being made spectacles. It's cute for adults, and the kids get to serve with the grown-ups. Especially if it's something the kid really wants to do and takes seriously, it could be a big, healthy encouragement to their piety.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »

Because they aren't being made spectacles. It's cute for adults, and the kids get to serve with the grown-ups. Especially if it's something the kid really wants to do and takes seriously, it could be a big, healthy encouragement to their piety.
yes they were being put on display, and how seriously can a 3 yr old take anything? it's the same old 'it's so tacky when protestants do it, so nice when rc's/eo's do it" schtick.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »

yes they were being put on display, and how seriously can a 3 yr old take anything? it's the same old 'it's so tacky when protestants do it, so nice when rc's/eo's do it" schtick.

I have to agree with Tallitot on this one.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

The whole thing is ridiculous. No toddler should be used in that way no matter what their denomination. Also,

1. Simple exploitation, plaing and simple.
2. Although I am no longer Protestant (heh, new status) this really belittles the entire notion of a minister and his funcion.
3. Im actually not surprised that they're Penocostal, they're weird.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »

I saw this on the Today show yesterday on NBC. I couldn't understand a word the kid said. What was strange was that his parents came across like 'normal' people when interviewed. The whole thing seemed odd to me.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

His parents could be the ones exploiting him, if he's anything like Marjoe (see link in my previous post).  Marjoe's parents set him on his path so they could make money.

It's the boy/churchy version of Toddlers in Tiaras.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »

Liturgy should not be cute.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 03:30:49 PM »

That video was...disturbing.  Shocked I've been to enough Pentecostal services in my life to see this sort of thing from adults but it's an entirely new level of weird to see a kid do it.

The kid is obviously mimicking. When they asked him why he did it he said it was because his daddy was up there and did it.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »

Ok, really? Being an altar server is different from giving sermons. I see nothing exploitative with letting small children serve at the altar if they are capable of following along. They're not the center of the show.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »

I hope this boy is able to maitain his faith as he grows into adulthood... We don't need another bitter atheist.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »

I hope this boy is able to maitain his faith as he grows into adulthood... We don't need another bitter atheist.
I wouldn't worry about him becoming an atheist, I'm sure he's well on his way on being brainwashed.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

I wouldn't worry about him becoming an atheist, I'm sure he's well on his way on being brainwashed.
That's the problem. When people see religion as nothing more than brainwashing, then they are more likely to jump ship.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

That's the problem. When people see religion as nothing more than brainwashing, then they are more likely to jump ship.
And those people can embrace a logical fallacy as well.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »

And those people can embrace a logical fallacy as well.
Agreed.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »

I too had a tough time understanding him in the first few sentences. If they only let him get up one or two times a year, I might not worry. They seem to be making this a regular thing, though, and it could be too much stress for someone that young. I think they should wait until he's older.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »

Actually... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Avalos
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »

I have to agree with Tallitot on this one.

We don't have adult altar servers at my church, it's all done by children and teenagers. The older ones teach the younger ones, and while there may be a "cuteness" factor in the age of a couple of them, it's not spectacle but the passing on of knowledge in serving and the opportunity to serve. Also, the younger ones aren't just up there to look cute, they know what to do, and when, where, and how to do it.

Also, they don't give the sermon or do anything that is typically done by the priest.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags: children 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: