OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:20:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: about the nails....  (Read 532 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »

I put this topic in here because Im sure lots of Roman Catholics will like their say.

I want to know if the Orthodox have a teaching on where the nails were placed on our Lord. In the middle of the hands/feet, or in the wrists/ankles?

Also, I've heard the Roman Catholics are pretty stern on this...is that true?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

I put this topic in here because Im sure lots of Roman Catholics will like their say.

I want to know if the Orthodox have a teaching on where the nails were placed on our Lord. In the middle of the hands/feet, or in the wrists/ankles?

Also, I've heard the Roman Catholics are pretty stern on this...is that true?

PP

I think the difference should be held to be about as important as the difference about whether Christ's feet were side by side or crossed over each other.

That being said, everything (scripture, hymns, prayers, iconography, etc) in Tradition (east and west) depicts the nails going through the palms.

Historical evidence of how the Romans cunducted their crucifixions and anatomical evidence of how much weight can be held by dertain parts of the body seem to suggest a possibility of the wrists.

I find it best to just hold the tradition just as we have received it and not change it according to the (scientific) wisdom of men on this point.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

Its four wounds either way (five if you count the side).  I can see how three nails would be symbolic, but I don't think any Roman Catholic would really throw a fit if it were actually done with four nails, and likewise to the Orthodox/Byzantines with three nails.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »

Do a search on Triclavianism. This controversy did not touch Orthodoxy.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

The nails could have very well went through the palms rather than the wrists because the crucifixion is sometimes portrayed with Jesus' arms also being bound to the cross with a rope before the nails are ran through the palms. That would eliminate the whole how-much-weight-can-the-palms-withstand controversy.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »

The nails also could have been driven through the palms at an angle so that they would come out at the wrists.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

The nails could have very well went through the palms rather than the wrists because the crucifixion is sometimes portrayed with Jesus' arms also being bound to the cross with a rope before the nails are ran through the palms. That would eliminate the whole how-much-weight-can-the-palms-withstand controversy.

Also, the Romans (as shown on the Eastern crosses) employed a footrest which allowed the person crucified to support himself to take a breath. This, in typical Roman fashion, prolonged the suffering before death.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »

Also, the writs can be seen as a part or base of the hand. In any event, it doesn't really matter one way or another.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags: crucifixion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: