OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fertility Idols  (Read 3825 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

My Orthodox wife came home with a fertility idol last week.  I know that is bad already but what surprised me was the person who she was with when the purchase was made.   My stepmother was the one who drove her to the store, she has been attending a protestant church all her life and has been the most dedicated person outside of the orthodox church that I know.   I started asking around and all the protestant people (except one) that I talk too seem to think it is perfectly fine to have fertility idols are perfectly fine and we should seek all the help we can get from any source we can find.

Is this the general rule outside of the Orthodox church?

Mathe 24:36
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

What specifically are you referring to as a "fertility idol"?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

seem to think it is perfectly fine to have fertility idols are perfectly fine and we should seek all the help we can get from any source we can find.

Wuuuuaaa?

I'm going to need this.
Russell

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »

What specifically are you referring to as a "fertility idol"?

It was some kind of Elephant with hands.   

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »

Really? Like Ganesh?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Russell

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »

Really? Like Ganesh?

Yes, something about the trunk being in a certain position acording to my wife.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »

Like this guy?

Where do you live, if you don't mind?

Russell

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

Yes that is the one.  I dont see what difference it makes it is smashed and disposed of.

My question is, Is it common for protestants to use things like this.  I have asked several and so far they dont see the big deal and two have told me to get more.  I did not name the exact idols when I talked to them.  I just used the generic term "fertility idol."

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »

Yes that is the one.  I dont see what difference it makes it is smashed and disposed of.

My question is, Is it common for protestants to use things like this.  I have asked several and so far they dont see the big deal and two have told me to get more.  I did not name the exact idols when I talked to them.  I just used the generic term "fertility idol."

They aren't truly Christian, if they think this. They carry beliefs of relativism and universalism. If Christianity is real, then all other gods are demons at best.

I'm going to need this.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »

I've never seen this from Protestants I've known. Maybe they'd buy one as kitsch but not thinking it had any power. What denomination is your stepmother. Is she rather "liberal" theologically?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »

I'm no expert on Hinduism- is Ganesh typically invoked for fertility? I have never heard of Protestants or any other Christians using Hindu statues for any purpose. I imagine most Protestants would poo their pants. Orthodox would probably take away the statue and give you an evil eye charm instead  Wink

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »

I can only think of this as something that may have been bought as a party gag or a joke. I hope she doesn't treat it any more seriously than that.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »

Depends on which Protestants you are speaking with. Some Protestants have so watered down Christianity that they'll accept just about anything. You can find these Protestants among Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.

Other Protestants cling rigidly to anti-idolatry, so much so that they think that Orthodox veneration of icons is idolatry. You can find these Protestants among Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.

The Protestants I know tend to fall into the second category. Those you know appear to fall into the first category.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »

My Orthodox wife came home with a fertility idol last week.  I know that is bad already but what surprised me was the person who she was with when the purchase was made.   My stepmother was the one who drove her to the store, she has been attending a protestant church all her life and has been the most dedicated person outside of the orthodox church that I know.   I started asking around and all the protestant people (except one) that I talk too seem to think it is perfectly fine to have fertility idols are perfectly fine and we should seek all the help we can get from any source we can find.

I've never seen this in the more conservative Wesleyan and Quaker churches of which I was a member.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »

The Southern Baptist church I got saved in had a giant statue of Kali at the front of the church, so I'm pretty used to this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:06:47 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »

The Southern Baptist church I got saved in had a giant statue of Kali at the front of the church
What

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »

we should seek all the help we can get from any source we can find.
WHAT?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 03:28:54 AM »

The Southern Baptist church I got saved in

Grin Grin Grin
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:21:08 AM »

The Southern Baptist church I got saved in had a giant statue of Kali at the front of the church, so I'm pretty used to this sort of thing.

Sounds perfect for these newlyweds:
The couple attends [Olin T. Binkley Memorial Baptist Church in Chapel Hill] as well as Hindu events in people's homes and at Sri Venkateswara Temple in Cary.

She's a "Baptist with a big B" deacon, by the way. He's a Hindu ex-monk. Throw in a nosy neighbor and live-in mother-in-law, and we've got ourselves a sit-com.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »

I would get that thing as far from me as possible.
"all the help you can get" is a very frightening thing for anyone claiming to be a Christian to say. There is only one fount of help.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »

Russell,
you probably know that Protestants are some major critics of anything they believe to be idolatrous, and all Christians should agree that a Hindu god is an idol. I am really not trying to smart or harsh, but I think you know the answer already

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »

I wonder what the President of the SBC would have to say about that

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »

Having grown up Protestant, I have some experience with them.  I have never, ever, ever heard of (let alone witnessed) a Protestant who thought it would be acceptable to buy a fertility god (except, perhaps, as art) let alone who would have then encouraged anyone to go out and buy one.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »

Whaaat?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:06:39 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Russell

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »

Russell,
you probably know that Protestants are some major critics of anything they believe to be idolatrous, and all Christians should agree that a Hindu god is an idol. I am really not trying to smart or harsh, but I think you know the answer already

That is what I thought but then this happened so I started asking around. 

brandb

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »

I'm sorry but am I the only person who thinks that this whole situation was a misunderstanding blown entirely out of proportion?
Somebody bought something, didn't know much about it, somebody got worked up and became extremely overzealous.... 
And is now making over-generalizations. Roll Eyes

And as someone who is still a Protestant I can tell you that this is not "the general rule". Tongue
(Some of you Orthodox are a little fuzzy on Protestant beliefs... I'm originally from the South. SB's with
idols aren't normal, please stop hinting that they are. I'm all for truth & accuracy but stereotyping is not okay.)

Russell

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »

I'm sorry but am I the only person who thinks that this whole situation was a misunderstanding blown entirely out of proportion?
Somebody bought something, didn't know much about it, somebody got worked up and became extremely overzealous.... 

And as someone who is still a Protestant I can tell you that this is not "the general rule". Tongue
(Some of you Orthodox are a little fuzzy on Protestant beliefs... I'm originally from the South. SB's with
idols aren't normal, please stop hinting that they are. I'm all for truth & accuracy but stereotyping is not okay.)

I never tried hinting that protestants believe one way or the other as a group. 

I will try to explain.  I can see how my last post could be seen wrongly.

Originally my general thought was that Christians would not like buying a statue for fertility issues.  Then my orthodox wife came home with a fertility idol and the most devout protestant I know helped her buy it.  It was purchased for fertility.  I was very surprised that my Step mother would do that so I asked other people about what happened and the few people I asked (face to face) to my surprise thought it was no big deal or thought we should buy more fertility idols/luck items.  They were all protestant, the one exception was our orthodox priest, he told us to get rid of it. 

Seeing the reactions here I am back to my original view that in general Christians would not like buying a statue for fertility issues.

Update: I was able to talk to my Step-mother about what happened.  She knew it was an idol of a foreign god and claims to have given a small warning to my wife, but my wife did not understand the warning.  They do have a language barrier.   We agreed that if anything comes up again, that is against Christian beliefs that she should warn my wife more strongly and perhaps advice her to call our priest.

brandb

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:48 AM »

I never tried hinting that protestants believe one way or the other as a group. 

I will try to explain.  I can see how my last post could be seen wrongly.

Originally my general thought was that Christians would not like buying a statue for fertility issues.  Then my orthodox wife came home with a fertility idol and the most devout protestant I know helped her buy it.  It was purchased for fertility.  I was very surprised that my Step mother would do that so I asked other people about what happened and the few people I asked (face to face) to my surprise thought it was no big deal or thought we should buy more fertility idols/luck items.  They were all protestant, the one exception was our orthodox priest, he told us to get rid of it. 

Seeing the reactions here I am back to my original view that in general Christians would not like buying a statue for fertility issues.

Update: I was able to talk to my Step-mother about what happened.  She knew it was an idol of a foreign god and claims to have given a small warning to my wife, but my wife did not understand the warning.  They do have a language barrier.   We agreed that if anything comes up again, that is against Christian beliefs that she should warn my wife more strongly and perhaps advice her to call our priest.

Sorry for blabbering my confusion.  Embarrassed
Thanks for the clarification, it definitely makes more sense now. Smiley  I wasn't concerned that you were the one throwing hints; someone else in this thread posted some shady stuff about Southern Baptists/idols and that is what I was objecting to. Some people on this forum have really bad cases of convertitis and it shows every now and then.  police
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »

The Southern Baptist church I got saved in had a giant statue of Kali at the front of the church....
Let me guess: to scare away the Presbyterians?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »

I'm no expert on Hinduism- is Ganesh typically invoked for fertility? I have never heard of Protestants or any other Christians using Hindu statues for any purpose. I imagine most Protestants would poo their pants. Orthodox would probably take away the statue and give you an evil eye charm instead  Wink
"Ganesha" does literally mean "Lord of Hosts", which is, of course, also a title for Elohim. Whether Ganesha could be a Hindu-interpretation of an Elohimic revelation, is an interesting question.

Ganesha is also the Lord of Wisdom (Greek: Sophia), Son of Shiva (the Ultimate Divine Person-Source), pointing to a possible Christological and Pneumatological significance.

As far as fertility is concerned, the lack of children is considered an obstacle to people trying to have children. Ganesha is known as Vighnaraja, the Remover of Obstacles. He is known for removing obstacles to people's well-being. The primary obstacles are lust, greed, egotism, jealousy, etc., but Ganesha can also help in other ways, and I suspect fertility is one of those other ways.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »

Many people visit Risa every year and pick up the Horga'hn fertility statuette. It indicates the desire for jamaharon on Risa, but is a generally recognized symbol of sexuality elsewhere as well. There's nothing at all strange about it.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »

Many people visit Risa every year and pick up the Horga'hn fertility statuette. It indicates the desire for jamaharon on Risa, but is a generally recognized symbol of sexuality elsewhere as well. There's nothing at all strange about it.

Duh, da die da, da dee dee. Da dee da da da da da do da da....

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »

The anthropological insights I shared in my last post remain valid, regardless of the culture or century from which they are derived!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »

The anthropological insights I shared in my last post remain valid, regardless of the culture or century from which they are derived!
I have every episode of every series....except for Enterprise. Bakula will always be the quantum leap guy......

Death by Jamaharon Smiley

PP
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:56:47 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

Many years back my coworkers decided to exchange Christmas gifts.  We decided to make them "special"...and if possible home made.

While I painted a painting to match the decor of the young man to whom I was gifting, he in return gave me a 4 inch brass fertility goddess.  Ewwww!  I cringed when I pulled it out....but, had to smile....as I had to work with these people.   I was very young at the time and was rather insulted that he would give such a thing to me.

I didn't want to take it in to my house, so, on the drive home I took a rural road and pitched it in to a cow field.  I wonder if calving season improved the following year!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »

so, on the drive home I took a rural road and pitched it in to a cow field. 

LOL

I'm going to need this.
ignatios

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »

I recommend more than a "stern warning" against the possible dangers of idolatry. Remember what happened to all the Old Testament Israelites when they committed idolatry?

Jetavan, with all respect to you as someone more knowledgeable in these matters, I have to disagree that there could be much positive benefit in the identification of Ganesha with Christ. In the OT, again, all the pagan Gods of the Canaanites and such were possibly linked to the God of Israel from a developmental, anthropological point of view, but that doesn't mean that YHWH didn't take care to clarify things for us throughout time. So many years after the fact, we shouldn't still be blurring the categories and synthesizing various religions when the Church has been established by God. Please forgive me if I have blown things way out of proportion, or entirely misinterpreted your comments.

My final opinion is that the idol of Ganesha, or whatever fertility idol it may be, should be smashed to pieces, lest anyone else find it and venerate it.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »

Jetavan, with all respect to you as someone more knowledgeable in these matters, I have to disagree that there could be much positive benefit in the identification of Ganesha with Christ.
A Hindu looking into Christianity might find benefit in noticing the commonalities between (not "identifications-with") Christianity and Hinduism.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ignatios

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »

Jetavan, with all respect to you as someone more knowledgeable in these matters, I have to disagree that there could be much positive benefit in the identification of Ganesha with Christ.
A Hindu looking into Christianity might find benefit in noticing the commonalities between (not "identifications-with") Christianity and Hinduism.

Cool beans.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »

That still might lead one (in this case either a Christian or a Hindu) to believe that the two are effectively the same.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »

That still might lead one (in this case either a Christian or a Hindu) to believe that the two are effectively the same.
At the level of language, doctrine, ritual, and tradition, the Christian traditions and the Hindu traditions are very different traditions. But since both Christians and Hindus are humans, and have identical biological and psycho-somatic structures, one would expect that their respective traditions would also share extensive commonalities.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »

I'm no expert on Hinduism- is Ganesh typically invoked for fertility?

Ganesh is about removing obstacles, not fertility. For instance, it's common for Hindus to have a Ganesh idol on their dashboard in order to get them out of traffic jams.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »

Ganesh is about removing obstacles, not fertility. For instance, it's common for Hindus to have a Ganesh idol on their dashboard in order to get them out of traffic jams.

Infertility might be seen as an obstacle:

"Let us praise Lord Ganesh;
 He is the one whose mother is Goddess Parvati
 and father is Lord Mahadeva (Shiva)
 He is Ek dant - one who is single toothed
 He is dayavant - the one who is kind and merciful
 He is char bhuja dhari - one who has four hands
 He is the one who always bears tilak on his forehead
 and can ride even a mouse;
 Let us praise Lord Ganesh.

He is the one who blesses blind with vision and diseased with healthier skin;
 He blesses Infertile with children and loves and cares [for] poor people.
 Let us praise Lord Ganesh."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:29:27 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

I really hope some of our Protestant friends don't read the last post and get what can only be described as a really bad idea of how Orthodox Christians (at the very least as a whole) feel about prayers to Ganesha, Apollo, the Tooth Fairy...

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »

I really hope some of our Protestant friends don't read the last post and get what can only be described as a really bad idea of how Orthodox Christians (at the very least as a whole) feel about prayers to Ganesha, Apollo, the Tooth Fairy...
I don't think anyone here is advocating prayers to non-Christian Deities, but simply describing in what ways Ganesh is venerated.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
brandb

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »

I don't think anyone here is advocating prayers to non-Christian Deities, but simply describing in what ways Ganesh is venerated.

We're Protestant, not dumb. I've been following that convo for a while and I understand what they meant.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »

We're Protestant, not dumb. I've been following that convo for a while and I understand what they meant.

I never meant to insuate the Protestants were dumb; rather that some people would think that we fall into the "many ways to God" heresey

brandb

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »

I never meant to insuate the Protestants were dumb; rather that some people would think that we fall into the "many ways to God" heresey

Fair enough. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: