Author Topic: Some thoughts on urban planning for the Old City of Jerusalem  (Read 389 times)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
Some thoughts on urban planning for the Old City of Jerusalem
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
While recovering from stomach flu, inspired by Walt Disney's actual vision for EPCOT as a high tech, futuristic city functioning as a controlled environment, like his theme parks, I thought of the following:

"I have in fact worked out a plan for Old Jerusalem modelled on Walt Disney's vision for EPCOT."

:o :o :o

Um... huh?

In other words, a futuristic city (a rebuilt East Jerusalem and israeli Jerusalem) connected by monorail to the Old City, which to prevent weather damage to the historic sites, in a manner similiar to walt's plan for EPCOT, would be completely enclosed and climate controlled, albeit with a glass structure such as a geodescic dome rather than the concrete ceiling painted to resemble the sky planned for the original EPCOT.  Rubber tired Peoplemovers of the Wedway type marketed by Bombardier and used at Disney World, the US Senate, and Houston International Airport, among other places, and also formerly at Disneyland, would connect the four quarters (Muslim, Armenian, Greek/Syrian/Christian, and Jewish).  These would be discretely installed so as to not obstruct the view of historic buildings.  Cars would be banned; passengers would transfer to public transport at parking lots surrounding the old city, but there would be licensed battery powered taxis in addition to the peoplemovers.  Delivery vehicles would access the city center through a network of tunnels built in concert with archaeologists, using loading bays,freight elevators, and central storage facilities below the city streets, out of site to pilgrims, tourists, clergy and hotel guests.  Food sellers in the marketplaces would be required to use shared centralized kitchens kept to a vigorous standard of sanitation, and the entire sewage and water system would be overhauled to ensure improved potability and reduced risk of flooding damaging the heritage sites; underground natural gas powered cogeneration plants would provide centralized heating, air conditioning and hot water as well as electricity.  There would also be a centralized vacuum based trash collection system like the proven, highly reliable system used in the busiest parts of Walt Disney World, to control problems with litter and fly tipping (unauthorized disposal of refuse, in British parlance).   And like at WDW there would be underground "Utilidors", utility corridors, for the movement of policemen, security guards, paramedics and ambulances, as well as sanitation workers, and all utility systems would be accessible within this closely controlled, tightly secured network, which would feature biometric access control.  And the centralized vacuum powered refuse system would be built in reinforced channels, so if somoene threw an IED in the trashcan, it would be sucked harmlessly underground ehere it eould detonate without causing damage above ground.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre would be completely restored in stages as would other deteiorating buildings.  In fact, all historic buildings would be retrofitted formprotection against earthwuakes, fires, and terror attacks.  Non compliant buildings of lesser value that posed a safety threat would simply be demolished and replaced.   All persons emtering the Old City would be required to pass through airport style security, and delivery trucks would be X rayed; hotels in the Old City would be appropriated  by the central administration, which would consist of the Waqf, the Chief Rabinnate and the Christian churches.   Tourists, pilgrims and visitors would be required to stay in the hotels or buy day tickets (which the religious authorities would subsidize for poor pilgrims); a day pass would cost $20-$50 depending on the time of year.  Residents and workers would be issued an ID card to enter the area; no change would be made to arrangements concerning office buikdings but I expect rents woukd go up, and these rent increases woukd be taxed.  This revenue would pay for the improved transport, sanitation and security systems.

So in effect the entire Old City would be transformed into something like a controlled access theme park or museum, as opposed to the rotting, decaying and overcrowded nightmare that it is at present, where one has to fear for ones life; if an earthquake hit, structures like the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the current decayed Al Aqsa mosque woukd probably collapse, as well as many houses and less prominent structures.  The new arrangements would also ensure improved security; any troublemakers would be instantly arrested and permanently banned. mathere would be continuous 24/7'surveillance, including audio surveillance of hotel rooms and private spaces, to thwart any potential disruptions or terrorist activities.

Note this plan I developed as a distraction while recovering from the stomach flu that nearly killed me last spring.

But I think its a good one; I want to radically transform the Old City into a safe pilgrimage destination for all Christians, Jews and Muslims capable of behaving themselves.  No more spitting on Christian clergy or provactive acts on the Temple Mount, no more novice monks having a brawl at the holiest place in the Christian faith, and most importantly, no more Islamic terror; the latest vector involving vehicukar manslaughter being thwarted through pedestrianization.  The rebuilt city would also be able to accomodate twice the pilgrims it handles today, in greatly improved comfort; the temperature outside in the enclosed city centre would be a constant 80 degrees.

There would also be improved access for Protestants to sites they value like Gordon's Calvary.  But there would be no Third Temple, as this would cause a schism among the Jews as well as provoke the Muslims; its a violation of Rabinnical law, it being halakhically forbidden by the Chief Rabinnate for Jews to even enter the Temple Mount for fear of accidentally defiling the Holy of Holies (those Jews who access the mount do so in defiance of the Chief Rabbi). 

Lastly, the old city eould be physically isolated from the rest of Jerusalem not only by a glass do e or superstructure, but also by an enlarged, expansive greenbelt (this already exists, in part, but not on all sides).

I believe a similiar program should also be implemented in Bethlehem, to improve the safety of Christian pilgrims visiting Manger Square and the Church of the Nativity / St. Mary's, which I would like to connect with the Old City of Jerusalem via a dedicated monorail.

So thats what I think Jerusalem should be like: a safe, family friendly destination for everyone, where one can focus on religious piety without dealing with some of the horrors that presently afflict the Holy City.
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
Re: Some thoughts on urban planning for the Old City of Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:36:55 PM »
TLDR.

When I saw in the title the juxtaposition of "planning" and "Jerusalem", this old Yiddish saying came to mind: "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Aram

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »
The various communities who control territory and access to sites in the Old City can't even agree on a ladder.

But, OK, a monorail!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:46:49 PM by Aram »

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
All persons entering the Old City would be required to pass through airport style security, and delivery trucks would be X-rayed
I hope you are not thinking of having the TSA head the security. :police:

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
This thread has Asperger's written all over it. I'm putting money on wgw having a private collection of exotic vestments that he tries on in front of the mirror.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »
;D

Also, I am extremely disappointed that architectural drawings or dioramas were not included in this thread. Maybe something like this.

Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
^Or maybe something like this?:

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
This thread has Asperger's written all over it. I'm putting money on wgw having a private collection of exotic vestments that he tries on in front of the mirror.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »

TLDR. ;D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
He has already confessed as much, sans trying them on.
'Η ἐλπίς μου ὁ Πατήρ, καταφυγή μου ὁ Υἱός, σκέπη μου τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον· Τριὰς Ἁγία, δόξα Σοι.

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »

TLDR. ;D

Don't worry, just consult the diagram and everything will be clear:

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »
As for the OP, sounds like the perfect setting for an apocalyptic Jerusalem ruled by prelest and the antichrist.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:54:13 PM by Antonis »
'Η ἐλπίς μου ὁ Πατήρ, καταφυγή μου ὁ Υἱός, σκέπη μου τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον· Τριὰς Ἁγία, δόξα Σοι.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »
;D

Also, I am extremely disappointed that architectural drawings or dioramas were not included in this thread. Maybe something like this.

EXACTLY. How can you do urban planning without drawings or diagrams?!

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • My icon of St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:56:28 PM by kelly »
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. - Proverbs 31:13

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »
If they rebuild the Temple, should it be like Solomon's Temple, the First Temple:

Or should it be architecturally designed like the Third Temple that Ezekiel predicted, were we to take Ezekiel to be speaking of a blocks and mortar Temple?

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »
"You can't get five Jews to agree on where to have dinner." - Jon Stewart ;)

Anyhoo, I have seen model kits that are based on Solomon's temple. I always thought that would be fun to build.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos save us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH but my heart belongs to the JP
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
futuristic city functioning as a controlled environment, like his theme parks

:o

All persons entering the Old City would be required to pass through airport style security, and delivery trucks would be X-rayed
I hope you are not thinking of having the TSA head the security. :police:

I hope not either  :o WGW you sure you don't want to turn Jerusalem out of something from 1984?

Cars would be banned
;

banning cars throught the entire old city or all of Jerusalem? ::starches head::

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre would be completely restored in stages as would other deteiorating buildings.  In fact, all historic buildings would be retrofitted formprotection against earthwuakes, fires, and terror attacks.  Non compliant buildings of lesser value that posed a safety threat would simply be demolished and replaced

who deterimines whats of lesser value there a lot of holy sites in the Old city and destroying old "lesser of value" sites is going to go over well with the local population?  ???

So in effect the entire Old City would be transformed into something like a controlled access theme park or museum,

yeah turning one of the most ancient places in the world with a bunch of disputes historical and religious sites into a theme park is going to go over well with the local and regionals Muslims, Jews and Christian populations. you might achieve Mideast peace when all 3 abhramic  religions oppose this modern futurist idea  :laugh:

No more spitting on Christian clergy or provactive acts on the Temple Mount, no more novice monks having a brawl at the holiest place in the Christian faith, and most importantly, no more Islamic terror;

So who would be up to policing all of this. it sounds like a logistical nightmare.. Private Security, the Israelis, The Muslims, well the Pope send the Knights of Malta to do security ;D

Lastly, the old city eould be physically isolated from the rest of Jerusalem not only by a glass do e or superstructure, but also by an enlarged, expansive greenbelt (this already exists, in part, but not on all sides).

umm you been watching too many sci fi movies  :o

Still I give you credit for imagination and a good heart it obvious in the right place but logistics and implementations plus Local reactions too. A nightmare in the making.
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a Sinner!

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
He has already confessed as much, sans trying them on.

Oh, somebody please have the links to those posts.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
Having Lampadas at home is nothing.  I collect priests vesrments and liturgical books as a hobby.  I have a full Byzantine set from the Ukraine, several Roman chasubles, a bizarre mitre of Old Believer origin, and am awaiting two vestments from Pulickal Brothers.  I loan and give my vestments away to needy priests in my area, so it's a charitable hobby.  The liturgical books are mine and mine alone, however; I have chosen them to be buried with me for my use in the second life.*  These include a Triodion, Supplement to the Triodion,a. Further supplement, a Pentecostarion, a Festal memaion and a Nassar five pounder on the Byzantine side, a standard a Euchologion and Deacons Service book on the Syriac side, a Euchologion, Agpeya and a beautifully bound collection of Holy Week Services somewhat better arranged than the Triodion on the Coptic side, plus some BCPs, a Tridentine Missal, and the Liturgy of Addai and Mari in English and East Syriac.

*I am not actually a believer in the ancient Egyptian religion and have no wish to be mummified.  However, I will say Id love to write a story about an evil worshipper of the old Gods, perhaps Seth, posing as a Coptic Priest, until he is rooted out by the heroic bishop.

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • My icon of St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
Not gonna lie, I'd like to see pics of all those. Not of him modelling them, but just the vestments themselves.
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. - Proverbs 31:13

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
Not of him modelling them, but just the vestments themselves.

I want pics of him wearing the Old Believer mitre mixed with his favorite chasuble, tapping away at the keyboard writing his Egyptian Seth-Worshipping Coptic FanFiction.

And I want to be buried with those pics.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 04:22:05 AM »
Not of him modelling them, but just the vestments themselves.

I want pics of him wearing the Old Believer mitre mixed with his favorite chasuble, tapping away at the keyboard writing his Egyptian Seth-Worshipping Coptic FanFiction.

And I want to be buried with those pics.

And myrrh will flow from your recovered relics.

To the OP, there's the Holy Land Experience in Florida which allows me to go to Jerusalem without all the Jews, A-rabs, Greeks, Armenians, etc., etc., etc.  Also, I can get a bacon cheeseburger without the judging eyes and smelly ethnic food, all the while experiencing 1st century Jerusalem with other white evangelical christians.

A day at The Holy Land Experience will satisfy your spiritual appetite, but there's no need to ignore your physical hunger!

We provide several options for food and dining throughout your day.

Esther's Banquet Hall
Here you will find a full menu featuring delicious entrees, chef or daily specials, soft drinks, and a variety of gourmet desserts. We also have yummy platters for those little travelers too.

Martha's Kitchen  Take a break during your day and eat in the shadow of the beautiful and majestic Great Temple and enjoy delicious ice cream and ice cold fountain drinks.

Last Snack
Last Snack is located at the crossroads, across the lake, next to The Scriptorium. Stop by for a steaming foot-long hot dog, and don’t forget to get something cold to drink.

Holy Grounds Coffee Shop
The Holy Grounds Coffee Shop is located in the Jerusalem Street Market. Stop in to enjoy a steaming cup of coffee, espresso, cappuccino, latté, or one of our iced specialties.  If that’s not enough, bring your sweet tooth for breakfast pastries and mouthwatering desserts.

Bottled water, more thirst quenching beverages, and refreshing shaved ice can be found throughout the park as well. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids while visiting!

http://www.holylandexperience.com/guest_services/shopping_dining.html
Glory to God.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. I want to go to HLE sometime. It looks so kitschy that I can't not go.
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
I live less than two hours from there. I sorta wanna go, too. I missed put on the mind-boggling weirdness that was Jim Bakker's amusement park, so I'd have to settle for this one instead.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos save us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH but my heart belongs to the JP
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 06:24:19 PM »
I live less than two hours from there. I sorta wanna go, too. I missed put on the mind-boggling weirdness that was Jim Bakker's amusement park, so I'd have to settle for this one instead.

I was too young for Jim Baker amusement park I wonder what that was like? must be fun and wired. I wish back to the future concept of time travel was real.
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a Sinner!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
Go, just so you won't die with any regrets.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"