OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:10:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Qu'ran  (Read 4925 times) Average Rating: 0
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2004, 06:33:22 PM »

The earlier reference to William Dalrymple's evocative book reflecting his travels in the Middle East triggered a memory.

The ROCOR monastery in Brookwood, England, regularly had extremely poor Moslem migrant workers visit and offer candles. The Igumen, Father Alexis, found they were coming to venerate particular Orthodox Saints. Interestingly, they would come on the feast day of the Saint, according to the Church calendar.

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2004, 11:45:07 PM »

I've heard plenty of "hauntingly beautiful" things that human beings have produced.  

As have I, we all have.

God has given humanity the gift of creating so I suppose you could say that such things are from God ultimately but they come into being through the workings of people.  

Amen

English Chant can be quite beautiful to some, as can Latin Chant or Sacred Harp singing or many other musics.  Beauty and feelings are sometimes in the ear and mind of the beholder, I should think.  To others it would not have the same appeal

I totally agree, but there is something about the rythm and the flow of the Qu'ran in Arabic, I don't know what it is, it has converted many to Islam and confirms millions in their faith that it is the holy book of God, a standing miracle for all to enjoy.

However, I know those who wanted to convert to Catholicism just after hearing some very good Latin Gregorian and Polyphonic Chant, so I do agree that it depends on the person.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: