OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 29, 2014, 05:36:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of connection with the Church  (Read 1232 times) Average Rating: 0
Tgebar

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

This is the edge now, it's all we're living for.

« on: August 28, 2011, 07:02:49 AM »

Sorry to be posting a new topic so suddenly.

In my last post I made some implications as to what I'm discussing here, namely in how desperate I am to maintain some sort of connection to the Church during the upcoming fall and spring semester. I do not know exactly why, but the idea of being unable to attend services regularly for almost nine months depresses me, even though I will be returning home and attending a sort of informal class each month with the priest of the parish that I attended. I pray regularly, each morning and night, and I have an immense desire to continue this habit, but simultaneously I feel wrong for doing so, as if since I'm not really Orthodox I cannot really understand the words coming out of my mouth. I think this all boils down to me learning the virtue of patience, but more so than my impatience to establish a relationship with the Church am I disturbed by not really knowing what to do in the interim. Do I just sit on my hands and live like a normal, American, secular college student?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:04:09 AM by Tgebar » Logged

Smiley
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »

I pray regularly, each morning and night, and I have an immense desire to continue this habit, but simultaneously I feel wrong for doing so, as if since I'm not really Orthodox I cannot really understand the words coming out of my mouth.

Keep praying. If possible follow daily readings of the lectionary. Keep fast days. Keep feast days. If you don't have a prayer book, get one to help you pray. The Orthodox Study Bible has a lectionary and morning/evening prayers in the back. An icon calendar would be good to have too if possible.

Do I just sit on my hands and live like a normal, American, secular college student?

No.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

Is there an Orthodox Church nearby?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tgebar

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:19:46 AM »

I have all of the things you mentioned, some I ordered and some were graciously gifted to me by the Church. Unfortunately, there are no parishes nearby, they all are at least two hours away. I'd drive even for two hours if I didn't have to devote all of my available funds to the university! Thank you for the strengthening words my friend.

Smiley
Adela
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:18 AM »

This is no substitution, but many Orthodox churches televise their Divine Liturgies. The Carpatho-Russian Orthodox on www.acrod.org have a multimedia page where you can watch the liturgy in real time.   
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »

Is there an Orthodox Christian Fellowship chapter near to you?

Chapter Link

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »

Sorry to be posting a new topic so suddenly.

In my last post I made some implications as to what I'm discussing here, namely in how desperate I am to maintain some sort of connection to the Church during the upcoming fall and spring semester. I do not know exactly why, but the idea of being unable to attend services regularly for almost nine months depresses me, even though I will be returning home and attending a sort of informal class each month with the priest of the parish that I attended. I pray regularly, each morning and night, and I have an immense desire to continue this habit, but simultaneously I feel wrong for doing so, as if since I'm not really Orthodox I cannot really understand the words coming out of my mouth. I think this all boils down to me learning the virtue of patience, but more so than my impatience to establish a relationship with the Church am I disturbed by not really knowing what to do in the interim. Do I just sit on my hands and live like a normal, American, secular college student?
where are planning to go to school?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »

I have all of the things you mentioned, some I ordered and some were graciously gifted to me by the Church. Unfortunately, there are no parishes nearby, they all are at least two hours away. I'd drive even for two hours if I didn't have to devote all of my available funds to the university! Thank you for the strengthening words my friend.

If your school is of any good size there will be at least a few Orthodox Christians attending. Try to find them. Go to the chaplains office and ask if they know of some Orthodox who attend the school. You could even put a small ad in the school paper.

"Looking for Eastern Orthodox Christians for fellowship and support. Contact ---------- "

You may want to start a formal youth group recognized by the Student Government......

I forget the name of the National Orthodox College Youth Association, but you could contact them and they will provide some support.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »

I forget the name of the National Orthodox College Youth Association, but you could contact them and they will provide some support.

Does anybody actually read what I post?  Tongue

The link to the OCF (the College Youth Association mentioned in the above) is in my earlier post.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »

If only a priest like Fr. Chris would chime in, we could get some answers. Alas, not a priest in sight.  Tongue

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider." - Francis Bacon
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »

If only a priest like Fr. Chris would chime in, we could get some answers. Alas, not a priest in sight.  Tongue

He's been so quiet lately. I hope he's not too stressed...

I'm going to need this.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »

Does anybody actually read what I post?  Tongue

The link to the OCF (the College Youth Association mentioned in the above) is in my earlier post.

So If anyone can think of the name, please go ahead and post it. A link would be good too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:42:19 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

Does anybody actually read what I post?  Tongue
if they did, you wouldn't be the Rodney Dangerfield of oc.net, Father.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »

If there closest cities are two hours away, it might be that a MegaBus that runs past where you are to where you need to be. Way cheaper than driving.

http://us.megabus.com/
Tgebar

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »

Thanks for your help everyone! The university I attend is Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas (not Pennsylvania! Tongue). I checked the chapter website, and unfortunately there is no presence of such an organization at Pitt State. I have considered looking into bus routes in order to make it home once a month, so maybe if they're cheap enough I can make it more often, or at least make it to one of the closer churches.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:05:01 PM by Tgebar » Logged

Smiley
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

Thanks for your help everyone! The university I attend is Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas (not Pennsylvania! Tongue). I checked the chapter website, and unfortunately there is no presence of such an organization at Pitt State. I have considered looking into bus routes in order to make it home once a month, so maybe if they're cheap enough I can make it more often, or at least make it to one of the closer churches.
I know someone from KS, I'll ask for advice.  IIRC, Orthodoxy's profile in KS was boosted a year or so ago.

You might also try the links Fr. Chris provided.  There may be others like you in Pittsburg (where's home, btw?).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:18:46 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »

Is there an Orthodox Christian Fellowship chapter near to you?

Chapter Link
Wow the one in Denver hasn't been updated since 2010, sadly.  Sad
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:20:09 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tgebar

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

I know someone from KS, I'll ask for advice.  IIRC, Orthodoxy's profile in KS was boosted a year or so ago.

You might also try the links Fr. Chris provided.  There may be others like you in Pittsburg (where's home, btw?).

Thank you so much! My home is in Chapman, Kansas, but I attend the divine services at the All Saints Orthodox Church in Salina, Kansas which is about a 35-40 minute drive from my hometown. My hometown is a four and a half hour drive from the city in which the university I attend is located.

Smiley
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »

I went to the Orthodoxy in America parish finder, and there must be some kind of crazy glitch going on...it listed 20 missions or parishes within 59 miles of Pittsburg, KS but that can't be right!

Maybe the program was thrown off since it could tell there was some sort of request given it, but the program didn't register the request as coming from a person that others respect. Hmm....

Anyway, here's the link

Fr Rodney
 Wink

Tgebar

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »

Thank you so much Father! Unfortunately, for a poor college student, a two hour drive would be well outside of the budget. I also just checked the bus routes for the nearby bus station in Joplin, MO and discovered that the bus station was destroyed by the tornado that touched down a few months ago in that city.  Undecided

Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »

Can you carpool with anyone else?  Smiley
Tgebar

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »

I'm looking into that right now!   Grin I asked the priest at the Newman Center for Catholic students on campus if he was aware of any Orthodox students that attended Pitt State, and he said that while he was unaware of any he could easily imagine that at least some of the students, especially those studying abroad from Eastern Europe, are Orthodox. He also knows of an Orthodox man who lives in town and works at the local hospital, but he said he believes that this man said that he attends a local Protestant church since there is no nearby parish. That seems really strange, but the priest did say he would be put me in contact with him. Maybe him and I can split the price to make it to one of the nearby churches.

Smiley
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »

Does anybody actually read what I post?  Tongue

So If anyone can think of the name, please go ahead and post it. A link would be good too.

laugh
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:41:00 PM by Thankful » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

I found this in Joplin:

http://orthodoxjoplin.org/

he has a number listed also, i'll bet he knows where the closest missions are too

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:35:30 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »

Can you carpool with anyone else?  Smiley

ya, i'll bet u could find at least 4 ppl to split the gas Smiley
Tgebar

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

I just established contact with Marc Paine, the organizer of Orthodox efforts in Joplin, Kansas, which is about half an hour away from Pittsburg, Kansas today. He is transferring his duties to a local priest who is going to call me soon, and he said that this priest has aims to hold a weekly vespers service. He also said that the local Orthodox Christians often travel together to some of the somewhat nearby churches. I'm so happy to have found these people, and I'm so happy for all of your help here! I'll continue to post and let you know how my journey in the Church is going.

Smiley
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »

I just established contact with Marc Paine, the organizer of Orthodox efforts in Joplin, Kansas, which is about half an hour away from Pittsburg, Kansas today. He is transferring his duties to a local priest who is going to call me soon, and he said that this priest has aims to hold a weekly vespers service. He also said that the local Orthodox Christians often travel together to some of the somewhat nearby churches. I'm so happy to have found these people, and I'm so happy for all of your help here! I'll continue to post and let you know how my journey in the Church is going.

Glory to God! I knew Marc would probably have some answers if anyone did... Wink Perhaps you could assist him in organizing a mission church there someday! What a blessing that would be... Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:36:03 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »

mispost.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:35:35 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Tgebar

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »

Glory to God! I knew Marc would probably have some answers if anyone did... Wink Perhaps you could assist him in organizing a mission church there someday! What a blessing that would be... Smiley

I would love to help him anyway I can! He and I are going to continue communicating with each other. Currently he is residing in Springfield, AR, but he said that the priest who is going to take up duties in Joplin is very dedicated to establishing a mission there.

Smiley
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »

Glory to God! We'll evangelize every nook and cranny of the continent yet.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:04 AM »

Glory to God! We'll evangelize every nook and cranny of the continent yet.

that's what i'm talking about...  Grin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: